Cashman - Petite

Maxman

LOL The fact that they never made him an offer and signed Sheffield. Go away and stop looking to bash the yankees with faulty into.

All that proves is that the Angels were willing to give up the most to get him, NOT that the Yanks had zero interest in him. If they didn't, then Cashman/Steinbrenner are easily the stupidest front office team alive for choosing Gary Sheffield over Vlad Guerrero.

Probably the only thing JBF and myself will ever agree on.

Biggest mistake Cashman and George ever made was not resigning Pettite.

You DO NOT let Lefty's in their prime leave. Especially when he has been your money pitcher in post season.

For whatever reason George always had it in for Pettite. Don't know why but Torre basically saved Pettite from being traded to the Phillies in 97 and then coming off his best year ever in 2003 is basically ignored while George is chasing the Sheffields and Kenny Lofton's of the world.

They then compound the mistake by signing d!ckwad Kevin Brown.

Yeah Max I'm over it though. :)

You DO NOT let Lefty's in their prime leave. Especially when he has been your money pitcher in post season.

For whatever reason George always had it in for Pettite. Don't know why but Torre basically saved Pettite from being traded to the Phillies in 97 and then coming off his best year ever in 2003 is basically ignored while George is chasing the Sheffields and Kenny Lofton's of the world.

How do you know they even had a chance of resigning Pettitte? He wanted to go to his home in houston.

I don't believe that for one minute.

The Yanks didn't even make a phone call to Pettite until he had gotten an offer from Houston and by that time it was too late.

Pettitte should have been taken care before he even got to free agency the same way Jeter was and Rivera was. That is how important I think Pettitte was to the Yankees.

I don't believe that for one minute.

The Yanks didn't even make a phone call to Pettite until he had gotten an offer from Houston and by that time it was too late.

Pettitte should have been taken care before he even got to free agency the same way Jeter was and Rivera was. That is how important I think Pettitte was to the Yankees.

i don't think we'll ever know the whole story. The big mistake was not trading for a better starter in the offseason that year. They really went into that year with an horrible rotation.

i don't think we'll ever know the whole story. The big mistake was not trading for a better starter in the offseason that year. They really went into that year with an horrible rotation.

They did.

Their names were Kevin Brown, Javy Vazquez and Esteban Loaiza :)

Yeah and that worked out just grand didn't it?

Did i say that? It worked out horrible too but not as bad as the vazquez trade. I doubt Contreras would've ever become this good in new york. Even with all that though the yankees should've won the world series that year...

They traded for the wrong pitchers. The Brown and Vazquez deals were both HORRIBLE. The loaiza thing was midseason.

And why were they horrible ?

Because they could not handle the pressure of pitching under the spotlight which Pettitte was able to do many times.

Both Brown and Vazquez looked scared to death when they took the mound in game 7 against the Sox. It something we have seen not only with them but Jeff Weaver, Contreras, Kenny Rogers and I'm sure their are others you can thrown in there. (Steve Trout anyone ?)

Guys like Pettitte Jimmy Key, Cone are guys who won't make the HOF but they also won't wilt when the pressure is greatest. It is something this team has reallly lacked since 2001.

And why were they horrible ?

Because they could not handle the pressure of pitching under the spotlight which Pettitte was able to do many times.

Both Brown and Vazquez looked scared to death when they took the mound in game 7 against the Sox. It something we have seen not only with them but Jeff Weaver, Contreras, Kenny Rogers and I'm sure their are others you can thrown in there. (Steve Trout anyone ?)

Guys like Pettitte Jimmy Key, Cone are guys who won't make the HOF but they also won't wilt when the pressure is greatest. It is something this team has reallly lacked since 2001.

It had nothing to do with New York the pitchers the yankees got that year just wern't that good.

Max he was 17-9 last year with a 2.39 ERA pitching more innings than any year since 97 and led his team with Clemens to the WS.

His injury the first year occured swinging a bat so if you our trying to make the assuption that the Yanks didn't sign him due to a underlying physical problem that holds no water.

This season is not over. If he wins 14-16 games this year added to last seasons 17, saying he was not a mistake is rubbish especially when you know he can be counted on to be unaffected by the NY post season stage.

I am talking RIGHT now. Not what he may do. Not what he can do. What he did do.

He was hurt. He pitched lights out. He pitched like crap. That is his body of work so far in 3 seasons they got one GREAT year and nothing else. It is a lot of money for 1 out of 3.

The Yankees did not make a mistake letting him go.

I think nobody is blasting Ca$hman is because it was fat george's decison to let Pettite go.

Remember, he wouldnt negotiate with Pettite's agents (Hendricks bros.) because he was too busy courting Doc Gooden and Sheffield with garbage bags full of steroids and 8-balls!?!?!?

Then Pettite left and took his 4 rings (oh, and he also won more playoff games than any other Yankee pitcher in history) with him and you havent had an effective lefty since.

In fact, you havent had an effective big game pitcher since, and thats the real reason why Andy was valuable to you guys.

UNTIL NOW....lets welcome Sidney Ponson to Yankeeland. Yes, the same criminal who assaulted a judge in his native Aruba. The same big game pitcher who couldnt close out the Florida Marlins in 2002 as a Giant and was chased from the game, and the same Sidney Ponson who fits in perfectly as a Yankee.

Got any more questions about Andy Pettite, Max?

Yeah I do. Because you ignored the whole point of the thread. From a business standpoint, the Yankees made the right call.

That being said I would take Andy back here in a second. And I love blasting Cashman and Company. But I can't do it on this one. They were right.

Shawn,

I think he should have been brought back. I agree.

But he has had 2 terrible seasons (performance and injury) out of 3. Can't blame the Yankees for that. Looks like they were right.

Shawn,

I think he should have been brought back. I agree.

But he has had 2 terrible seasons (performance and injury) out of 3. Can't blame the Yankees for that. Looks like they were right.

There is NO REASON to bring pettitte back here. He's probably the 5th or 6th best FA pitcher thats going to be on the market this offseason who the yankees should go after.

Except that Ponson will be expected to make the playoff roster (IF the Yanks do actually make it that far) so he is more than a 5th starter I would presume. Chacon will likely be left off I'd wager at this point.

Ponson has no shot at making the post-season roster as a Yankee. Never say never, but he will not beat out Randy, Wang, Moose or Wright. And if Pavano ever gets healthy, Ponson is even further away from a playoff roster spot.

Snyder has a better shot making the Bosox post-season roster then Ponson has of joining the Yankees in the post-season.

If the Bosox even get there.:rolleyes:

Archived