A comparrison

Tinstar2

Heading into training camp,with all the talk about open competition,i thought i would take a look at the 2005 starting offensive line and how it might compare to the possible starting OL of 2006.

The Jets went into training camp in 2005 with an OL made up of All pro center Kevin Mawae,conside4red at the time one of the top 3 centers in all of pro football.Veteran OG Pete Kendall,a tactician,a bit on the light side but still capable.Jason Fabini a LT with declining skills at a position he was never suited to play combined with a bad back.2nd year draft pick Adrian Jones drafted as a developmental LT prospect,now pencilled in at RT and Brandon Moore,a former DL turned OG who had shown strides as a part time starter before taking over fulltime a year earlier.

That OL,with a QB coming back from shoulder surgery and backed up by Miami castoff Jay Fielder,went into the 2005 season with expectations of improving on the previous season when the team came within 2 missed FGs of advancing to a blowout loss against NE in the AFC championship game.

We all know how that worked out.

Fast forward to the start of the 2006 training camp,where the Jets head into camp with a projected starting OL comprised of the aforementioned Moore,Jones and Kendall,but replacing the broken down slow footed Fabini is highly touted 4th overall pick Brick Ferguson at LT,and a combination of either fellow 2006 late 1st rounder Nick Mangold,considered the 2nd best OL by many in a draft filled with talented OLmen or veteran Bills center Trey teague battling a foot injury that will most likely result in him missing the majority of the 2006 pre season and training camp.

A question was proposed on a few sites as to what should be expected of the Jets OL in 2006.Well this fan expects ferguson to be an upgrade over Fabini from the jump.The other players with the exception of the center remain the same,and that in mind opinion is what will decide the effectiveness of this unit.

Open competition is all well and good,but can a 1st time HC entrust his offensive production on a rookie OC.Will he and his 1st time OC make this crucial decision.

We're about to findout.

I expect a rough first half of the season with the OL. With two rookies starting a key positions on the OL, there are going to be growing pains. Barring no injuries, the line should start to gel by mid-season and provide adequate (not great) protection.

I'm not sure how the line will perform with run blocking. Both tackles are not exactly maulers and with an aging martin, it will be tough to tell.

Tinstar I think you nailed it. They are switching centers and that move is probably 2nd behind QB in importance to the team this season. Can Mangold make us say Kevin who?

Although with what we watched last year as long as they get the snap down we will probably be happy!

Tinstar I think you nailed it. They are switching centers and that move is probably 2nd behind QB in importance to the team this season. Can Mangold make us say Kevin who?

Although with what we watched last year as long as they get the snap down we will probably be happy!

Mangold is the M-A-N. He may not makie you forget Mawae this year, but he'll be solid in 2006 if given the opportunity and a pro-bowl caliber OC by his third year. Take THAT to the bank.

Mangold is the M-A-N. He may not makie you forget Mawae this year, but he'll be solid in 2006 if given the opportunity and a pro-bowl caliber OC by his third year. Take THAT to the bank.

I hope that is true. I wonder what the coaching staff thinks about him. IN other words, where does he stand on the depth chart? LOL.

A more accurate coparison would be to the 2004 Jets offensive line, the one that blocked for Curtis Martin in winning the rushing title and got the Jets to the playoffs despite a one handed QB. Heres the run blocking unit from 2004:

LT Jason Fabini

LG Pete Kendall

C Kevin Mawae

RG Brandon Moore

RT Kareem McKenzie

TE Anthony Becht

There are no upgrades to the linemen that are gone from that team, especially in run blocking.

OT's taken in the top four picks of the draft in this decade the three who have played in the NFL have ranged from dissapointments to busts:

2006 D'Brickasha Ferguson 4th overall

2004 Robert Gallery 2nd overall

2002 Mike Williams 4th overall

2001 Leonard Davis 2nd overall

First Center's drafted each year this decade:

2006 Nick Mangold Ohio State

2005 Chris Spencer Mississippi

2004 Jake Grove Va Tech

2003 Jeff Faine Notre Dame

2002 Andre Gurode Colorado

2001 Dominic Raiola Nebraska

2000 Brad Meester Iowa

None are better than Kevin Mawae and not a Pro Bowl to the entire group.

TO think the Jets 2006 offensive line is remotely equal to the 2004 offensive line is ludricous.

A more accurate coparison would be to the 2004 Jets offensive line, the one that blocked for Curtis Martin in winning the rushing title and got the Jets to the playoffs despite a one handed QB. Heres the run blocking unit from 2004:

LT Jason Fabini

LG Pete Kendall

C Kevin Mawae

RG Brandon Moore

RT Kareem McKenzie

TE Anthony Becht

There are no upgrades to the linemen that are gone from that team, especially in run blocking.

OT's taken in the top four picks of the draft in this decade the three who have played in the NFL have ranged from dissapointments to busts:

2006 D'Brickasha Ferguson 4th overall

2004 Robert Gallery 2nd overall

2002 Mike Williams 4th overall

2001 Leonard Davis 2nd overall

First Center's drafted each year this decade:

2006 Nick Mangold Ohio State

2005 Chris Spencer Mississippi

2004 Jake Grove Va Tech

2003 Jeff Faine Notre Dame

2002 Andre Gurode Colorado

2001 Dominic Raiola Nebraska

2000 Brad Meester Iowa

None are better than Kevin Mawae and not a Pro Bowl to the entire group.

TO think the Jets 2006 offensive line is remotely equal to the 2004 offensive line is ludricous.

It's plum crazy to compare the Jets 2004 OL with the 2006 OL.All those guys with the exception of Moore and Fabini were players who the Team knew what they could expect once they hit the field.Fabini was slowing down even back then,and Moore was a 1st time sometimes starter untill late in the season when he took over.The 2006 line is all about potential,with nothing concrete to make even the slightest guess as to what we will see come game day.Moore and Jones will play side by side if both end up as the starters for only the 2nd time with less than 8 games of experience as Partners.Ferguson and Kendall will be a new duo learning each other's strengths and weaknesses.Mangold is a mystery and we still don't even know if he's the opening day starter.

I expect the Jets to have a better operating OL than the one which finished the 2005 season and I expect to see that early especially if Ferguson is what everyone claims he is.I would have felt alot better about this OL with Trey Teague as the starting center,but it is what it is.

The way I look at it is simple.The Jets replace a pro bowl OC with a player better than Jason Fabini was as a LT in either Teague or Mangold,and they replaced argueably the worst LT in football with a player who has the Potential to be as gifted a Player as Mawae was over his career.If they can protect the edges with Jones and Ferguson and i believe they can better than the previous 2 seasons,and clog up the middle something I don't know that they can at this point,the OL will be just fine.

Untill the OL jells,I expect to see either a RB stay in as a blocker,a TE or both for max protection on passing plays.

I don't think Becht was that big of a loss because the Jets basically ran the same play with him whereby he went in motion and blocked down on the outside Lber or DE allowing the OT to assist inside on the DTs.With Jones and Ferguson having the ability to handle the DEs or LBs with their athleticism,all we need is to keep a RB or adequate blocking TE which Baker is home on Passing downs,and use a pure Run blocking FB to lead on running plays and we should be just fine.Somehow,i believe that's why we drafted a TE who excells at blocking.

I don't know if the players everyone is mentioning will be the ones that

start the season. We still don't know what Mangini is thinking.

In the Morley article it is mentioned that he is looking for lighter and

athletic type linemen. At this point in time I wouldn't bet the

house as to who will be starting come opening day.

I do agree tho that Tinstar may be right as to why they drafted a TE

whose forte is blocking.

Senior,it's due to that report that i believe those guys have the greatest chance at being the opening day starters barring injury.Hell,the heaviest guy may be Mangold .Dispite what is being said,the Jets have to have some experience out there along that line,and more than inexperience.

Archived