So I Guess the A-Rod vs D-Wright Argument is pretty much over, huh?

MiguelBormand

Smizz- I have made no references to Wright vs Arod, as that is silly.

If you want to make any comparisons, compare their first 200 games in the Big League. That is about all we have and would not prove much.

SD...in 2-3 sentences describe David Wrights performance in the postseason as a whole.

Oh that's right....he's never sniffed the postseason. But hey let's keep talking his spectacular first half up...because that's all that is really important right?

When David Wright puts up MVP numbers all yr and WINS the MVP...you can start discussing who's better....but untill then....David wright can't hold Arod jock strap...I could give a sh*t less what his stats are thru 80 games.

:cheers:

Smizz- I have made no references to Wright vs Arod, as that is silly.

If you want to make any comparisons, compare their first 200 games in the Big League. That is about all we have and would not prove much.

Fair enough.

Yeah, He was the AL MVP last year... but what was the whole argument?

A-Rod vs Papi...

Basically a "Stat-Padder" vs a great clutch hitter.

Everyone knows Papi would have won if he was not a DH.

Also, A-Rod will not be known as one of the 10th best ever.

He'll need to actually perform in the clutch and maybe win a championship first, no matter how many HR he hits.

His stats are off the charts yes, but he'll still be remembered negatively.

Are you guys freakin kidding me.

Mets fans basically booed Piazza out of town once his numbers started going down. What A-Rod is getting now is what Piazza got from 2002-2005.

For what it is worth. I don't know if A-Rod will ever adjust to the big spotlight of NYC. He is way too tight and way to worried about what other people think of him.

I have seen so mainly guys get eaten up and spit out by New York. Steve Kemp, Saberhagen, Vince Coleman, Theo Fluery, Luc Robatille, Pavel Bure, Charles Smith. Maybe A-Rod falls into that category. He expects too much of himself and we expect too much of him. He just needs to relax and say F-it.

When all is said and done though A-Rod's numbers career numbers will dwarf David Wright.

1)ARod won a MVP in NY so we know he can play in NY....no comparison with the Coleman's, Saberhagen's etc.

2.)Met fans never got on Piazza anywhere close to this extent. That's pure horsecrap.

1)ARod won a MVP in NY so we know he can play in NY....no comparison with the Coleman's, Saberhagen's etc.

2.)Met fans never got on Piazza anywhere close to this extent. That's pure horsecrap.

Sorry Shelter I have to disagree. Between his decline in numbers and the whole 1st base fiasco all we heard on the airwaves and the newspapers was how shelfish Piazza was and it showed at the ballpark as well with the fans reactions to him.

Now I know the fans have their right to boo. Heck for 15 years Phillies fans booed in my opinion the greatest third basemen of all time Mike Schmidt.

The problem though is that the expectations for A-Rod are basically to be perfect and he tries to be perfect. When you try to be perfect the only thing you can do is fail.

If David Wright hits 800 in the post season this year and hits 5 walkoff homers in the post season then you can all crow about how much better he is than anyone in baseball. Afterall that is basically what you all ask of A-Rod. you make 20 something million dollars be perfect.

And just to add a little water to take a look at A-Rod's Post season stats. Not as bad as we are all led to believe.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_player_postseason.jsp?playerID=121347&statType=1

Those are the cumulative stats since Scott Dierking didn't want us cherry picking certain spots. :)

Have fun

Sorry Shelter I have to disagree. Between his decline in numbers and the whole 1st base fiasco all we heard on the airwaves and the newspapers was how shelfish Piazza was and it showed at the ballpark as well with the fans reactions to him.

Sean you are way off and totally out of line...

No one EVER Booed Piazza at Shea stadium, I dont know if you have ever even been there but no Mets Fans ever booed this guy, not once.

Towards his last year here people started talking about his slight decline on the airwaves but no one on the radio was bashing Mike Piazza either for his performance or for his decisions about being "Shelfish"? as you put it...

Blackout-Please describe for me in 2-3 sentences A-Rods performance in the playoffs, as a WHOLE (not select games) in comparison to his regular season performances.

Then do this favor for me, describe in two words, how you would mark that comparison, given that player was not a Yankee (whom you weem to have blind eyes for).

Thank you

A-rod's had some big postseason moments and some big postseason failures. He's had big regular season moments and big regular season failures. How hard is that to comprehend?

If Alex Rodriguez is such an indispensible, great player, one of the greatest of all time, then why is he on his 3rd team

Babe Ruth was on 3 teams. Roger Clemens was/is on 4 teams. Rogers Hornsby was on 5 teams.

God knows how many teams Rickey Henderson has been on.

Whats your point?

, and why, exactly, is he better known for lack of clutch hits and poor defense right now

Because he has the highest paid contract in baseball and everyone expects him to hit 1.000?

Wright hasn't had an opportunity to hit in a big game, but A-Rod has HAD the opportunities and FAILED in nearly every one of them.

Not the ones I mentioned in previous posts :rolleyes:

I'll take David Wright, and I will trust that Omar Minaya never lets him get to the free agent market, as A-Rod has been allowed to do twice in his career.

A-rod only hit the FA market once actually.

And you can take the inferior player all you want, but you guys are sounding like a broken record.

Now I know the fans have their right to boo. Heck for 15 years Phillies fans booed in my opinion the greatest third basemen of all time Mike Schmidt.

The problem though is that the expectations for A-Rod are basically to be perfect and he tries to be perfect. When you try to be perfect the only thing you can do is fail.

If David Wright hits 800 in the post season this year and hits 5 walkoff homers in the post season then you can all crow about how much better he is than anyone in baseball. Afterall that is basically what you all ask of A-Rod. you make 20 something million dollars be perfect.

And just to add a little water to take a look at A-Rod's Post season stats. Not as bad as we are all led to believe.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_player_postseason.jsp?playerID=121347&statType=1

Those are the cumulative stats since Scott Dierking didn't want us cherry picking certain spots. :)

Have fun

Totally agree on ARod but remember it's the Yankee fans(not all) and media that have made ARod out to be some average player.

To me it is simple until AROD is on a championship team -whether In New York or some other place he will always be looked down upon- sort of like the Marino syndrome.

I think it is bigger than that. He needs to perform when the team is counting on him.

The words clutch and AROD have never been used in the same sentence (apart from this one).

AROD just made his 17th error of the season.

WTF is wrong with him? I think he only had 12 last year.

A-Rod is broken I think...

Somebody fix him!!!

seriously though... I have not seen a guy have his head completely screwed up like this ever...

I am not a Yankees fan, but I even am starting to feel slightly bad for him.

Wright is having a slightly better year then Arod though this is a HORRIBLE year for arod. This comparison is stupid. Arod is a first ballot hall of famer. Wright is a great player but he's got a hell of a lot more to prove before he's on Arod's all time great level.

the thread isnt stupis at all,,

Its talking about who you would pick for your tean NOW and in the future,,

Teams dont generally pick players for the past :yahoo:

the thread isnt stupis at all,,

Its talking about who you would pick for your tean NOW and in the future,,

Teams dont generally pick players for the past :yahoo:

That is absolutely what I meant, SouthernJet.

"If you were building your team right now, who would you pick?"

Also, the fact that you compated him to Bonds shows a lot...

Bonds will also be remembered as an unlikeable guy who had insane stats, but never won a world series, and was on and off in the playoffs.

But honestly, A-Rod could only WISH to be remembered as that. Right now, as far as he stacks up to Bonds, he is projected to have comparable stats with him, and he is still even worse in the clutch and in the playoffs. Bonds his like 4 HR in the world series in 2002, A-Rod never had nearly a great performance, and also has a rep for being much worse in late inning situations than Bonds is.

Archived