Career OPS (for MadMike)

The Troll

Baseball is a little like poker. Sure the odds tell you what the right move should be, but a lot of the time based on the situation, it isn't the right move to make. Sure the stats tell you a lot about the hitter, but they aren't everything. ****, pick up a book on stats and you think you know everything about the game or something.

Lol, I'll tell you what, think about the ALCS two years ago and tell me again that stolen bases are overrated and don't correlate with runs scored in any way.

yes one stolen base in one game proves your point. not all the data that says otherwise.

Ok now you might think those are good reasons but if you look at the stats they just don't corrilate. He's having a great year stealing bases but over his carrer he gets thrown out more then 25% of the time so you erase those extra bases 50% of those extra bases cause they cancel out. Also he has 12 triples one year but aside from that he's never been a huge triples hitter. The guy who your points apply to is Carl Crawford not ichiro.

Have you ever played baseball?

Seriously?

Ichiro is exactly what you want at the top of the line-up. He hits for average. He can steal a base.

Mad Mike Revisionist History His career stealing pct. is 79%. He got nailed alot first two years in MLB. Over the last four years, he is at 82%. I do not know how a player that is 79% or his career and 82% over the last four years erases half of his extra base hits? Must be new math.

He has only 26 GIDPs over his NLB career.

The bottomline is, he gets on base so the guys that can hit the ball a mile, can knock him in. That is his purpose. That is the purpose of a leadoff hitter. So when you are down a run in the ninth, a hitter that can hit or average and steal is that much more a weapon.

I'd say Ichiro's ability to steal second base yesterday, along with Stinnet's awful throw, allowed the Mariners to win yesterday. Barry Bonds cannot do that. Barry Bonds cannot have 200+ hits in a season. I'll take 225 hits with a solid mixture of singles, doubles etc over 150 hits and 40 HRs. You're going to manufacture more runs with 225 hits than 150 and 40 HRs.

He's a singles hitter and stolen bases are a VERY overrated stat. They don't corrilate in any way to runs scored. He does have a great arm though. With a 843 OPS he's a good hitter but not as good as people think he is.

Mike.

Gotta disagree with you on this one. Just look at what Ichiro did in the 8th against the yankees yesterday. leads off with a single that travels maybe 20 feet past the plate, steals 2nd, causes a rushed throw that can't be handled, and ends up on third. Then scores on a short sac fly.

He is basically Rod Carew when he's at bat. That is HOFer Rod Carew, one of the best hitters from the past 40 years.

Very under-rated player here. And he is a highlight film in the OF, with an amazing arm. Just ask Terrance Long, no slow-poke, from Ichiro's first game in the Majors.

Mike.

Gotta disagree with you on this one. Just look at what Ichiro did in the 8th against the yankees yesterday. leads off with a single that travels maybe 20 feet past the plate, steals 2nd, causes a rushed throw that can't be handled, and ends up on third. Then scores on a short sac fly.

He is basically Rod Carew when he's at bat. That is HOFer Rod Carew, one of the best hitters from the past 40 years.

Very under-rated player here. And he is a highlight film in the OF, with an amazing arm. Just ask Terrance Long, no slow-poke, from Ichiro's first game in the Majors.

that inning had alot more to do with awful yankee d then ichiro.

that inning had alot more to do with awful yankee d then ichiro.

At least give credit where it's due. Ichiro is a run scoring machine. When you're a menace on the bases like Ichiro is you force teams to try to do things a little faster and rush what they would normally do which leads to the type of things that happened last night. Not every event in MLB can be tied to OPS.

At least give credit where it's due. Ichiro is a run scoring machine. When you're a menace on the bases like Ichiro is you force teams to try to do things a little faster and rush what they would normally do which leads to the type of things that happened last night. Not every event in MLB can be tied to OPS.

Lots of guys score runs. Thats more a function of the guys hitting behind you then anything you do. And because i just love tewaking boston idiots: You know who has scored more runs then Ichiro? Thats right it's HANLEY RAMRIEZ.

Lots of guys score runs. Thats more a function of the guys hitting behind you then anything you do. And because i just love tewaking boston idiots: You know who has scored more runs then Ichiro? Thats right it's HANLEY RAMRIEZ.

But Hanley Ramirez' OPS is only .765 this year, he must really be sucking.

Archived