Yanks will be scary good...bank on it!

NIGHT STALKER

Dumbest thing I have ever heard. That makes absolutely no sense.

I'm sure you've heard a lot of dumb things in your life, mostly the stuff that comes out of your own mouth, but maybe you should read his original post and why he is saying that.

He's saying that the mets have the number 1 payroll in the NL, so they should have been the best team in the NL last year?

the Yankees have the #1 PAYROLL BY A HUGE MARGIN IN THE MLB AS A WHOLE why are they not even in the lead for the wildcard?

get it?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure you've heard a lot of dumb things in your life, mostly the stuff that comes out of your own mouth, but maybe you should read his original post and why he is saying that.

He's saying that the mets have the number 1 payroll in the NL, so they should have been the best team in the NL last year?

the Yankees have the #1 PAYROLL BY A HUGE MARGIN IN THE MLB AS A WHOLE why are they not even in the lead for the wildcard?

get it?

Are the Yankees of the past 2+ months playing with a 198 million dollar team? No they're not. But they're still in the hunt and will make the playoffs.

Payroll doesnt mean wins. We all know that.

yeah but 100,000,000 is a lot less than 200,000,000, my friend.

basically you should have twice the wins the Mets do.

you cannot play that card.

are you actually trying this old, tired ass line again?

the yankees payroll was something like 180% of the Mets payroll last year? By pure numbers, (which you are implying you want to go by), they should have been 180% better.

What NL team was higher than the Mets last year in payroll ?

Answer=0

That is it right there. If payroll was everything then why didn't the Mets steamroll their competition last year ?

It is the same question the Yankees get. I don't offer excuses when the Yanks lose. They don't have excuses when you have 195 million dollars invested in your team. Unlike Mets fans and Sox fans who basically blame all their failures on the Yankees.

You all should basically learn take your medicine like men instead crying like some PMSing woman.

I find it hysterical that the fans on this board who whine about the Yankees are Sox and Mets fans. Sox are number 2 in payroll and the Mets are the highest in the JV uh sorry NL.

They are like the guy with Rolls Royce whinning about the guy who drives a Bentley.

As far as the Yanks are concerned. There is more than enough there even without Sheff or Matsui for most of the season to be in the race so there shouldn't ANY excuses from Yankee fans.

Still alot of time in this season.

Astros are highest payroll in NL and there is a huge difference between 200mill and 100mill. A entire roster full of All-Stars worth of a difference.

When you are a few mill above your competition that is a far cry from being 80-100 mill above .

Too bad the extra 100 mill wasn't spent more wisely.

Astros are highest payroll in NL and there is a huge difference between 200mill and 100mill. A entire roster full of All-Stars worth of a difference.

When you are a few mill above your competition that is a far cry from being 80-100 mill above .

Too bad the extra 100 mill wasn't spent more wisely.

You may want to check those numbers again. Unless Fox has not added Clemens payroll to their list the Mets are #5 behind the Yanks, Red Sox, White Sox and Angels.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5476130?GT1=8021

And like I said I'm not making excuses for the Yanks. There is enough their even without Sheff or Matsui that they should be right where they are battling for AL East with number 2 team in payroll the Red Sox. If they get healthy they should win the East. If they don't well then the season is a bad season and maybe the Yanks will focus on getting pitching instead of getting a guy they didn't need like Damon.

That article is 103 days old. Clemens moved Houston to #1.

Regardless glad to see you realize injuries is a lame excuse when you are 78 mill in payroll above everyone else while NO NL team including the Mets has a significant edge over the competition.

While it does hurt the Yankees, saying no one else could do what they've done this season is rubbish.

What NL team was higher than the Mets last year in payroll ?

Answer=0

That is it right there. If payroll was everything then why didn't the Mets steamroll their competition last year ?

It is the same question the Yankees get. I don't offer excuses when the Yanks lose. They don't have excuses when you have 195 million dollars invested in your team. Unlike Mets fans and Sox fans who basically blame all their failures on the Yankees.

You all should basically learn take your medicine like men instead crying like some PMSing woman.

First of all who is "Crying?" I'm not the one crying... If anything the person who made this post is. I'm pointing out that if they cant win with these all-stars, why will they dominate when 2 more come back, especially when they barely snuck into the playoffs last year with a fully healthy team?

As far as the payroll, please use some common sense. It's the number one way out of this argument for a Yankee fan to try to cry, which is what YOU are doing, and say "wah wah, well the Mets and Red Sox also have a huge payroll!!!!" But think of this practically...

Lets say there is a bunch of kids playing basketball, and they average 5'10... one kid is 6 feet tall... should he be the best? yeah... but it's understandable if he's not. Now lets say that kid 7 Feet tall... It's really totally embaressing if he doesnt completely dominate.

First of all who is "Crying?" I'm not the one crying... If anything the person who made this post is. I'm pointing out that if they cant win with these all-stars, why will they dominate when 2 more come back, especially when they barely snuck into the playoffs last year with a fully healthy team?

As far as the payroll, please use some common sense. It's the number one way out of this argument for a Yankee fan to try to cry, which is what YOU are doing, and say "wah wah, well the Mets and Red Sox also have a huge payroll!!!!" But think of this practically...

Lets say there is a bunch of kids playing basketball, and they average 5'10... one kid is 6 feet tall... should he be the best? yeah... but it's understandable if he's not. Now lets say that kid 7 Feet tall... It's really totally embaressing if he doesnt completely dominate.

No it is more like the this.

The Mets fan and the Sox fans are the Rolls Royce's whining about the Yankees who are the Bentley. All three sides have a ton of money the Mets fans and the Sox fans are the ones always whining that they don't own the Bentley.

What it comes down to bascially is this. You guys are millionaires whining about a billionaire and all the middle class (The rest MLB) looks at you and rolls their eyes and laughs at you because of your constant whining.

The Mets, Yanks and Sox are the haves of the MLB. They basically take what they want when they want and damn the consequeces. Last year it didn't work for the Mets this year it is with their raping of Florida and the emergence of your priced FA's.

Bravo. When the Mets started doing things the Yankee Way they get to go to the post season.

No it is more like the this.

The Mets fan and the Sox fans are the Rolls Royce's whining about the Yankees who are the Bentley. All three sides have a ton of money the Mets fans and the Sox fans are the ones always whining that they don't own the Bentley.

What it comes down to bascially is this. You guys are millionaires whining about a billionaire and all the middle class (The rest MLB) looks at you at laughs at you because of your constant whining.

Dog, do not try to flip this.

You are trying to look at this through "Blurry Lenses", and you will not get away with it.

First of all, the Mets are not even in the top three anymore:

http://www.onestopbaseball.com/TeamPayroll.asp

And now that the Astros have Clemens, the Mets are SIXTH.

The Yankees next closest team in payroll is 75 Million less.

That is pretty much the entire payroll of the Tigers who have a lot more wins than the Yankees.

Using your example, you are talking about a Lexus compared to a Bentley.

This method does not work anymore man, look at it realistically, the team has a totally outragous, humongous payroll, that they should be absolutely dominating with. Stop Crying.

Dog, do not try to flip this.

You are trying to look at this through "Blurry Lenses", and you will not get away with it.

First of all, the Mets are not even in the top three anymore:

http://www.onestopbaseball.com/TeamPayroll.asp

And now that the Astros have Clemens, the Mets are SIXTH.

The Yankees next closest team in payroll is 75 Million less.

That is pretty much the entire payroll of the Tigers who have a lot more wins than the Yankees.

This method does not work anymore man, look at it realistically, the team has a totally outragous, humongous payroll, that they should be absolutely dominating with. Stop Crying.

Have you even read any of my posts in this thread ? Seriously ?

The last thing I will ever do is cry about the Yankees. They win, they win, they lose, they lose and should hear about it.

The Mets fans and the Sox fans like to think though that their Sh!t don't stink. With thier joint rapings of the Marlins this year though you have basically joined the ranks of the Yanks in pillaging the weak for your betterment.

If you think for a moment that the Mets with all that new money coming from their network are not going to be in the Yankees stratosphere with the next 2-3 yrs you are fooling your self. You are gonna have to pay Wright and Reyes and basically other than Pelfrey are gonna have to come up with a whole starting rotation.

Sooner or later you pay the piper. The Mets are #2 in the NL right now I would bet anything they are #1 by the time the season ends and who knows about the future. With the new "Yankee Approach" they have adopted they could be 150 next year and 190 in 2007 and you know what ? You are not gonna give a crap about it because it helps your team.

Have fun. The ridcule of the Mets payroll is only just beginning.

Have you even read any of my posts in this thread ? Seriously ?

The last thing I will ever do is cry about the Yankees. They win, they win, they lose, they lose and should hear about it.

What you are doing right now is crying.

The Yankees are seriously underperforming with their bloated payroll.

You are saying "Well... well... The Mets and the Red Sox have big payrolls too!!!!! and... it's only gonna get bigger!!!! you will become like the Yankees soon!!!!!!!!!"

Stop crying and just own up to the fact that the Yankees this year are really embarrassing considering their insane payroll. You have a ton of rings in your past, but the last few years have been an embarrassment.

you cant compare 200 million to 100. especially when there are like 10 teams around the 100 million mark. There's no one near 200 Million.

I'm sorry.

Its already been said, but the top 8 teams in the NL are all within about 10 million of each other. The red sox are spending $20 million above the teams that are around $100 million, which is significant, and they should definitely be a little better than everyone else. But the yankees have no excuse for not dominating while spending nearly $80 million more than the sox and nearly $100 million over everyone else. I mean, I look way down at the bottom of the list and see my lowely Pirates down there at $40 million and start to think. IMO, all they need right now is a top of the line RF, a bona fide ace pitcher, and another very good arm in the pen and they could be in the wild card race next year. That won't happen cause the top free agents don't want to come to a losing team and they won't spend the money for it anyway, but how much better could they be if they spent $160 million more? 200 million, thats 5x their team. It certainly couldn't be as bad as the yankees have done. They should be so much better than they are with that payroll, its ridiculous. The only conclusion is that they haven't spent wisely.

I never root for the yankees, and the only time I root for Boston is when they play the yankees. :P

Miguel,

Go back and see who started the whole payroll whining in this thread please.

Why is it so hard Sox and Mets fans to accept the fact that their teams are becoming what they have grown to despise ? Other PFSIKH everyone Mets or Sox fan act like their teams basically are the Kansas City Royals.

That's okay though. We understand your hate for the Payroll questions. We honestly do. You guys just keep telling yourselves that we are doing it the right way not like the Yankees when deep down you know that is exactly what you are.

Kinda sucks doens't it.

Miguel,

Go back and see who started the whole payroll whining in this thread please.

Why is it so hard Sox and Mets fans to accept the fact that their teams are becoming what they have grown to despise ? Other PFSIKH everyone Mets or Sox fan act like their teams basically are the Kansas City Royals.

That's okay though. We understand your hate for the Payroll questions. We honestly do. You guys just keep telling yourselves that we are doing it the right way not like the Yankees when deep down you know that is exactly what you are.

Kinda sucks doens't it.

whoa, "Far out dude!!!!"

What are you even talking about, honestly?

This guy first of all said he's a pirates fan, And what is to despise about the mets? We are 6th in payroll and we have a sick team that is hands down the best in the NL right now?

You should stick to crying, you make more sense when you do.

I kinda figured you wouldn't get it.

The Mets are becoming the Yankees.

Free agent signings, raping teams like the Marlins. You don't see it of course because it is helping your team. The Mets are basically following the yankee blue print to the exact letter. Even have their own TV network to bring in more money which in turn will bring in more players at other teams expense.

Been there done that. Hopefully when the Mets lose you will handle it with as much class as the Yankee fan does. Offer congrats and move on. Somehow though should the Mets lose in the post season you will find a way to blame the Yankees. Afterall that is what the Mets fan does best.

Wow...

you resorted to "When the Mets start losing!!!!!"

dude... get over it. your team is not so good now, it used to be. Once Steinbrenner ditches the Free-Agent approach and decides to start developing talent from within, the Yankees will get better.

Right now the Mets are having their time in the sun. We have a great team, that is also YOUNG, and the future is bright, because we also have a lot of prospects.

Wow...

dude... get over it. your team is not so good now, it used to be. Once Steinbrenner ditches the Free-Agent approach and decides to start developing talent from within, the Yankees will get better.

Right now the Mets are having their time in the sun. We have a great team, that is also YOUNG, and the future is bright, because we also have a lot of prospects.

The yankee farm system is better right now then it has been at any time since 1996.

Wow...

LOL. You don't get it. Do you ?

Why are the Mets having their time in the sun ?

1) they rape the poor teams

2) they sign free agents

3) they have some dynamic "young players" (reyes and Wright)

Just like the yankees do and have done. With that the expectations get higher. For the Mets now making the playoffs is no longer good enough. either you win the World Series or your season is a failure. The Mets entered that level last year when they broke the bank for Pedro and Beltran. They added to it when they added Delgado, Wagner, Loduca.

Right now nothing less than a trip to the World Series will be deemed acceptable. That is what the Yankees are judged by every year and since 2000 those seasons have been failures.

LOL. You don't get it. Do you ?

Why are the Mets having their time in the sun ?

1) they rape the poor teams

2) they sign free agents

3) they have some dynamic "young players" (reyes and Wright)

Just like the yankees do and have done. With that the expectations get higher. For the Mets now making the playoffs is no longer good enough. either you win the World Series or your season is a failure. The Mets entered that level last year when they broke the bank for Pedro and Beltran. They added to it when they added Delgado, Wagner, Loduca.

Right now nothing less than a trip to the World Series will be deemed acceptable. That is what the Yankees are judged by every year and since 2000 those seasons have been failures.

???

Wow this makes no sense.

So what about all 5 Teams above us in payroll? If they dont make the world series they are all failures? What about the Yankees with 200 Mill? They could be considered total disasters then by your standards for the last few years then huh? As for the Mets, I'll consider getting deep into the playoffs a success, honestly.

Did the Mets add some free agents? sure... but they did it with tact, bringing in guys who would positively affect the team chemistry and compliment what is already there.

Let's be honest, the heart of the team lies around Reyes, Wright, and Beltran, two guys of which are young products of the Mets farm system. It's a big difference from the approach Steinbrenner took, which is to grab the top Players available every offseason. That's why your payroll is a nasty 200 Million right now. You cannot compare that to 100 Million.

So I guess your whole point is basically "Just watch, in a few years the Mets will have 200 Mill payroll too!!!!"

Which is really lame and weak to begin with, because it has no basis and your basically just trying to say "we'll drag you down with us"... Just get over the fact that the Yankees are essentially a disaster the last few years, and if the Mets EVER get to that point, dont worry, i'll be happy to admit it.

How's that for a deal.

???

Wow this makes no sense.

So what about all 5 Teams above us in payroll? If they dont make the world series they are all failures? What about the Yankees with 200 Mill? They could be considered total disasters then by your standards for the last few years then huh? As for the Mets, I'll consider getting deep into the playoffs a success, honestly.

Yes it does. The Red Sox, Angels, Yankees, White Sox, Astros and Mets are all in that boat. Like I said about the Yankees every season since 2000 is deemed a failure. Those are the expectations. It has to be when your payroll is number 1 in baseball by a large margin.

Did the Mets add some free agents? sure... but they did it with tact, bringing in guys who would positively affect the team chemistry and compliment what is already there.

Let's be honest, the heart of the team lies around Reyes, Wright, and Beltran, two guys of which are young products of the Mets farm system. It's a big difference from the approach Steinbrenner took, which is to grab the top Players available every offseason. That's why your payroll is a nasty 200 Million right now. You cannot compare that to 100 Million.

You never will get the point will you ? 200 million is obsecene that is why the expectations are so high. If you want to declare the yankee season a disaster at 2.5 behind the Sox that is fine. Been there done that as well. That is why I don't sweat the Yankees. I know they will get it in gear and win the East.

So I guess your whole point is basically "Just watch, in a few years the Mets will have 200 Mill payroll too!!!!"

Which is really lame and weak to begin with, because it has no basis and your basically just trying to say "we'll drag you down with us"... Just get over the fact that the Yankees are essentially a disaster the last few years, and if the Mets EVER get to that point, dont worry, i'll be happy to admit it.

Well if you want to consider the Yanks a disaster that is fine because that bascially has made the Mets a nuclear holocaust from 2000-2005.

How's that for a deal.

It is acutally pretty weak but basically what I expected from a Mets fan.

So here is what we have in a nutshell.

1) Mets fans should be happy if their team goes deep into the playoffs despite the fact their payroll behind Houston in the NL. (Which actually makes sense now when you add to the fact that they would have to face an American League team in the World Series.

2) When the sign their free agents and the poor like the Marlins it is okay but when the Yankees do it it is bad.

3) And when the Mets payroll hits the 200 million mark Miguel will be fine with it eventhough he hates it when the Yankees did it.

Sheer brillance. Here you may need this.

:baby:

???

Wow this makes no sense.

He said that the season is considered a failure if they Yanks don't win the series.

Tact? Delgado and Pedro were tactful additions? They bought the best they could and spent like fiends for it. Same as they did to get Beltran.

The Yankees have won the division for 9 years in a row. It costs money to keep those players. Sure the Yankees spend, but it would have been kind of hard to keep Jeter, Bernie, Posada, Rivera, Pettitte, without paying top dollar. The Yanks are willing to take on money, but the Mets situation is not comparable.

See above. If the Mets want to win in New York and start having a good run, their payroll will skyrocket too. It's not like they weren't ready to give A-Rod a monster deal. They are willing to spend and if they have success and want to keep it up they'll have to. The Yanks will surely continue to outspend them, but the gap will close considerably. Oh I forgot to add, the Yanks got hammered by Toronto, the sky is falling!! The sky is falling!!

1) Mets fans should be happy if their team goes deep into the playoffs despite the fact their payroll behind Houston in the NL. (Which actually makes sense now when you add to the fact that they would have to face an American League team in the World Series.

2) When the sign their free agents and the poor like the Marlins it is okay but when the Yankees do it it is bad.

3) And when the Mets payroll hits the 200 million mark Miguel will be fine with it eventhough he hates it when the Yankees did it.

How much did the Mets payroll change this year from last?

Bottom line, lets hope both NY teams succeed but you are sure to draw opposing fans ire when you start (a.) making excuses for not being in 1st place and (b.) trying to equate the Mets payroll disparity in the NL which is none by the way, to the 78 mill advantage you have in the AL.

Again this thread and the length of it originates from a Yankee fan out of the blue trying to off set the Yanks problems by comparing the Marlins to the Sox and Mets.

I continue to say this a lot of Yankee fans accuse Mets and Red Sox and their fans of being obsessed with the Yankees but here is another Yankee thread started that takes pot shots at the Mets and Red Sox

:baby:

Can you re-type this in English?

I dont understand points 1 and 2.. but #3...

Did I not just say above that If the Mets ever become a team with a 200 million dollar payroll and are unsuccessful year after year, I will admit that it's a failure?

Besides which why do you think this is gonna happen? Just because we have to re-sign Wright and Reyes? There are other contracts that will expire. What your not understanding is that Yankees Fans demand that they win a World Series every year... that's why Steinbrenner and Cashman go for these 40 million dollar offseason spending sprees every year. While the Mets have been spending lately, I dont think it would ever get to the point where the management and ownership is gonna be spending 200 million dollars a year... The fanbase does not demand that to stay interested, unlike the Yankee fanbase which is made up of tons of fans would not be there when they lose, and therefore stop providing income.

Can you re-type this in English?

I dont understand points 1 and 2.. but #3...

Did I not just say above that If the Mets ever become a team with a 200 million dollar payroll and are unsuccessful year after year, I will admit that it's a failure?

Besides which why do you think this is gonna happen? Just because we have to re-sign Wright and Reyes? There are other contracts that will expire. What your not understanding is that Yankees Fans demand that they win a World Series every year... that's why Steinbrenner and Cashman go for these 40 million dollar offseason spending sprees every year. While the Mets have been spending lately, I dont think it would ever get to the point where the management and ownership is gonna be spending 200 million dollars a year... The fanbase does not demand that to stay interested, unlike the Yankee fanbase which is made up of tons of fans would not be there when they lose, and therefore stop providing income.

Not trying to excuse the yankees for a $200 million payroll,but they've got $42.5 million this year going to Jeter,Posada,and Rivera...3 homegrown guys who got their paydays and a few other players' paydays too.

Again,not trying to excuse the huge number,but if Wright and Reyes keep developing further as they are still young and will continue to get better,and Milledge ends up as good as Mets fans hope he'll be,the 3 of them could easily make $30-45 million a year combined,and the Mets have shown they aren't afraid to pay for pitching,if they give Zito/Willis/Kazmir $10-15 million a year sometime down the road,thats $40-60 million. All I'm saying is if you don't think the Mets' payroll will jump when their own developed talents get their chance at their big contracts,you're in serious denial.

Not trying to excuse the yankees for a $200 million payroll,but they've got $42.5 million this year going to Jeter,Posada,and Rivera...3 homegrown guys who got their paydays and a few other players' paydays too.

Again,not trying to excuse the huge number,but if Wright and Reyes keep developing further as they are still young and will continue to get better,and Milledge ends up as good as Mets fans hope he'll be,the 3 of them could easily make $30-45 million a year combined,and the Mets have shown they aren't afraid to pay for pitching,if they give Zito/Willis/Kazmir $10-15 million a year sometime down the road,thats $40-60 million. All I'm saying is if you don't think the Mets' payroll will jump when their own developed talents get their chance at their big contracts,you're in serious denial.

Correct but doesn't Posada who has been great this year have a 17 mill games played option about to kick in? The Mets will rid themselve of Floyds contract and Glavine and Traschel come off soon after as well.

Wang and Cano won't be cheap on the Yanks side and you will need starters and a RF.

All I'm saying is if you don't think the Mets' payroll will jump when their own developed talents get their chance at their big contracts,you're in serious denial.

There's no denying that. But to suggest the Mets payroll will reach the same area code as the Yankees' as a result is laughable. Do you really think that, at the same time we are paying up for Reyes and Wright, Minaya will simultaneously be handing out big contracts to keep big-name guys like Delgado and Beltran (who both will be over the hill at that point) around? And just how long do you think Tom Glavine is going to pitch that he will remain on the books? Or Pedro? Will the Mets keep Steve Trachsel and Cliff Floyd forever too?

By the time Reyes and Wright get their paydays, there will be a LOT of money coming off the books. You might want to factor that into your calculations of the Mets future payroll. As if Yankee fans couldn't get more obsessed with New York's more exciting team.

I continue to say this a lot of Yankee fans accuse Mets and Red Sox and their fans of being obsessed with the Yankees but here is another Yankee thread started that takes pot shots at the Mets and Red Sox

Come on faba...yeah, I started this thread. But, on the other hand, I could say the Yanks looked scary bad today. I'm not a closed minded Yankees fan. Been around too long for that.

There's no denying that. But to suggest the Mets payroll will reach the same area code as the Yankees' as a result is laughable. Do you really think that, at the same time we are paying up for Reyes and Wright, Minaya will simultaneously be handing out big contracts to keep big-name guys like Delgado and Beltran (who both will be over the hill at that point) around? And just how long do you think Tom Glavine is going to pitch that he will remain on the books? Or Pedro? Will the Mets keep Steve Trachsel and Cliff Floyd forever too?

By the time Reyes and Wright get their paydays, there will be a LOT of money coming off the books. You might want to factor that into your calculations of the Mets future payroll. As if Yankee fans couldn't get more obsessed with New York's more exciting team.

Whoa,whoa...You're reading too much into my post. I never said the Mets would get near 198,although I think you're being a bit naive if you think the Mets will stay in the 100-110 million range perpetually. You mention all the pitching,and delgado/beltran coming off the books eventually,but who exactly do you think will be replacing them? The Mets have shown they have no problem paying for pitching (paying,not overpaying like the yanks),and as much as you'd like it to, your rotation will not be filled with met farmhands. They'll pay for a 1b once delgado is gone too,and Beltran is in his prime and got a 7 year deal didn't he? I don't think 120-140 is out of the question 4-5 years down the road for them.

As far as the Yankees go,are all of their contracts gonna stay on the books for all eternity? Will that number always be 200 mil? Heck,Mussina and Sheffield's $39-40 Million alone won't be picked up after this season. Granted, Jeter and Giambi's $20 Mil,Arods $15-17 the yanks pay,and Cano/Wang's extensions are in the future still,Johnson won't be around more than 1 more year (thats 15 mil),Wright's only got 1 more year (7 mil)Pavano (8 mil) won't be able to steal money forever,Matsui only signed a 3 year extension (13 mil), and as much as we Yankee fans would like,Rivera (10-11 mil annually) can't pitch forever. Again,the Yankees,like the Mets,will have no problem spending down the road to replace all those guys,but I sincerely hope they dont throw around $12-15 million contracts like candy at that time.

As for your last line about being obsessed about "new york's more exciting team",if that wasn't directed at me,then nevermind...but if it was,then you are being unnecessarily defensive. I have nothing against the Mets. I grew up in a split Yankee/Met house. I like the Mets,and unless there's a subway series,I root for the Mets. I make no excuses for the Yankees overspending,but that doesn't mean it doesn't get old hearing the same old "198" arguement, especially from fans of teams like the Mets,Red Sox, and Angels, all of whom have shown in recent years that they have no qualms about throwing cash around during the off-season,albeit to a much lesser extent than the Yankees have over the last 5 years.

Its like refusing to sleep with a girl who has AIDS,only to go and screw the ones with Gonorrhea or Chlamydia.

Whoa,whoa...You're reading too much into my post. I never said the Mets would get near 198,although I think you're being a bit naive if you think the Mets will stay in the 100-110 million range perpetually. You mention all the pitching,and delgado/beltran coming off the books eventually,but who exactly do you think will be replacing them? The Mets have shown they have no problem paying for pitching (paying,not overpaying like the yanks),and as much as you'd like it to, your rotation will not be filled with met farmhands. They'll pay for a 1b once delgado is gone too,and Beltran is in his prime and got a 7 year deal didn't he? I don't think 120-140 is out of the question 4-5 years down the road for them.

As far as the Yankees go,are all of their contracts gonna stay on the books for all eternity? Will that number always be 200 mil? Heck,Mussina and Sheffield's $39-40 Million alone won't be picked up after this season. Granted, Jeter and Giambi's $20 Mil,Arods $15-17 the yanks pay,and Cano/Wang's extensions are in the future still,Johnson won't be around more than 1 more year (thats 15 mil),Wright's only got 1 more year (7 mil)Pavano (8 mil) won't be able to steal money forever,Matsui only signed a 3 year extension (13 mil), and as much as we Yankee fans would like,Rivera (10-11 mil annually) can't pitch forever. Again,the Yankees,like the Mets,will have no problem spending down the road to replace all those guys,but I sincerely hope they dont throw around $12-15 million contracts like candy at that time.

As for your last line about being obsessed about "new york's more exciting team",if that wasn't directed at me,then nevermind...but if it was,then you are being unnecessarily defensive. I have nothing against the Mets. I grew up in a split Yankee/Met house. I like the Mets,and unless there's a subway series,I root for the Mets. I make no excuses for the Yankees overspending,but that doesn't mean it doesn't get old hearing the same old "198" arguement, especially from fans of teams like the Mets,Red Sox, and Angels, all of whom have shown in recent years that they have no qualms about throwing cash around during the off-season,albeit to a much lesser extent than the Yankees have over the last 5 years.

Its like refusing to sleep with a girl who has AIDS,only to go and screw the ones with Gonorrhea or Chlamydia.

A fair post. However, there are a lot of "ifs" there. You are ASSUMING the Mets are going to spend a lot at each position. In that case, I can ASSUME the Yankees will do the same. So, with all other things being equal, I cannot possibly expect to see the Mets have a payroll in the same ballpark as the Yankees anytime soon.

Come on faba...yeah, I started this thread. But, on the other hand, I could say the Yanks looked scary bad today. I'm not a closed minded Yankees fan. Been around too long for that.

I was Busting your chops JetfanFL-I know you can take it you are a veteran! I never get real angry or emotional - it is only sports and there are a lot more important things in life to worry about.

Archived