Top 10: Worst Referee Calls

TaborJet

"Oakland defensive back Charles Woodson blitzed Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and sacked him, causing what appeared to be a fumble. The ball was recovered by the Raiders' Greg Biekert at the Oakland 42-yard-line. When the officials reviewed the play, however, they ruled that Brady lost the ball while attempting to abort a pass (using a tucking motion), making it an incomplete pass rather than a fumble."

You know the rest of the story. And no, I'm not still crying about this. The Raiders got hosed. I really don't think there was conclusive video evidence to overturn the call on the field.

Vinny down at the half yard line against the seahawks and ruled a td, Jets win. The hawks missed the playoffs that year and the jets snuck in, that game being the difference for both (not sure of this last part).

Having bet the Pats, the interference call vs. the Pats in the Broncos playoff game was a total joke. Still waiting for any contact. Just another example of a ref getting carried awy by a home crowds, which happens in the NBA alm ost every game. Flag took about 20 minutes after the play to get thrown.

And the holding call against the Seahags in the Super Bowl was awful too.

Lesser known-blocking behind the back on a Giants INT return vs. the Ravens in the Super Bowl. To that point, it was an even game. Play gets called back, and then turns into a blowout. After it's a blowout, everyone says the call didn't matter, but who knows?

The Jints/Niners FG fiasco was some mess too.

There ought to be a way to allow the video review to overrule the refs on the field for really egregious calls, but it would make games even longer.

Vinny down at the half yard line against the seahawks and ruled a td, Jets win. The hawks missed the playoffs that year and the jets snuck in, that game being the difference for both (not sure of this last part).

You mean, Vinny's helmet crossing the plane of the goal doesn't count?

:D

Just kidding, that call really hurt the Hawks.

How about last year when Troy Palawhatever intercepted a pass, they reviewed it and STILL called it no good. Everybody else in the world saw the catch as good. Luckily for Steelers, it didn't cost them the game.

"Oakland defensive back Charles Woodson blitzed Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and sacked him, causing what appeared to be a fumble. The ball was recovered by the Raiders' Greg Biekert at the Oakland 42-yard-line. When the officials reviewed the play, however, they ruled that Brady lost the ball while attempting to abort a pass (using a tucking motion), making it an incomplete pass rather than a fumble."

You know the rest of the story. And no, I'm not still crying about this. The Raiders got hosed. I really don't think there was conclusive video evidence to overturn the call on the field.

The refs made the right call.

What about the infamous "tuck game"?

The Colts were robbed by the Patsie refs.

that was the Raider game in NE...HORRIBLE RULE, but refs made the right call, by the book. Still a horrendous rule.

The Denkinger call in '85 was the one that sticks out in my mind.

Worst call in the history of professional sports, hands down. The "tuck rule" was never called before this game and has not been called since.

Doesn't make it any less of a rule.

It was a horrible call that had never been made before regardless of the so called rule. Rules are meant to be applied as consistently as humanly possible. Dredging up some some obscre rule from the murky depths of the NFL rulebook is nowhere close to a consistent and fair application of the rules.

How about last year when Troy Palawhatever intercepted a pass, they reviewed it and STILL called it no good. Everybody else in the world saw the catch as good. Luckily for Steelers, it didn't cost them the game.

That call still bothers me. But any time i hear a Seahag fan complain about the SB, i just point em' in that direction. :cheers:

That call still bothers me. But any time i hear a Seahag fan complain about the SB, i just point em' in that direction. :cheers:

Just curious, but is that ref still working?

It's one thing to make a mistake call on the field.

But after review????

That's what it's for isn't it?

Oh yeah..........Brady fumbled. Raiders were jobbed. :eek:

;)

1976 Pats versus the Raiders.

Ben Drieth's phantom "roughing the passer" on Sugar Bear Hamilton.

Complete BS.

1985. Gastineau didn't hardly touch Kosar and they called Roughing the passer. Jets would have won the Super Bowl that year!

:P

Luckily for the Steelers the refs were still handing out the make-up calls for that one all the way through the Superbowl.

I believe that game cost Dennis Ericson his job as HC as well. I remember watching that game, and thinking, WTF. That wasn't even close. Instant replay debate was brought to the forefront.

I believe that game cost Dennis Ericson his job as HC as well. I remember watching that game, and thinking, WTF. That wasn't even close. Instant replay debate was brought to the forefront.

I think they actually had instant replay the year before this happened but decided not to bring it back for that year, then, as you say, it became priority numero uno.

BTW, totally forgot that the Hawks' HC lost his job that year, bullsh!t really.

Archived