Your Favorite Player Growing Up

Mavrik

Had 3 actually:

Cecil Fielder (used to come out to the Empire Strikes Back music in each at-bat) and seemed like he drilled a home run everytime I went to the stadium. Fun as hell to watch, as fat as he was.

Mickey Tettleton: used to play catcher/1B/OF for the Tigers. Big burly guy who would always have an at bat with a HUGE wad of chew in his mouth. Also had a strange batting stance in which he would hold his bat at his stomach, parallel to the ground without bending his knees. Guy had some great power.

Nolan Ryan: He only pitched for a few years while I was getting into baseball, but the fact that he could still produce the heat at his age coupled with the fact that I watched the game that he beat the living s*** out of Robin Ventura pretty much sealed the deal with me. Still my favorite pitcher ever.

Actually, I had two...early on in baseball it was Mickey Mantle. A little later, in football it was Jim Brown.

Mantle would have been fun to watch. Great all-around player. WIthout all teh injuries and booze, it's fnny to imagine just how much better he would have been.

I almost forgot Franky Tanana. Used to love him. I might as well just throw the entire 91' Tiger team on teh list.

When I was young it was Munson and Nettles.

Then Donnie Baseball.

Then Jim Leyritz. Now that Jim no longer plays I will not dishonor him by replacing him. He will forever be known as my favorite player going forward.

When I started out really following Baseball, Mickey was basically on his last legs. The player I was facinated with was Roberto Clemente. He was an amazing player, and what an OF arm!!!

There were a lot of guys in the 1970s who were fun to watch. Rod Carew. Brooks Robinson. Nettles. Munson. Chambliss. Pinella (loved to see him get mad, but he played the game right). Sparky Lyle. Jim Rice (when he hit them, they stayed hit).

Later, guys like Andre Dawson. Bruce Sutter. The mad Hungarian - Al Habrowsky. Dave Winfield, another guy who could do it all.

So many. It would be hard to cut it down to one. But if I had to, it would be Mo. Simply amazing that he can do his thing year after year, for so many years. Just amazing.

Gotta go with Bucky Dent, not sure why ....must have something to do with a famous home run he hit in fenway. loved the late 70's yanks ...they had a great group of players, then really liked Ripken later on , even though he played for a division rival....he was great to watch play .

When I started out really following Baseball, Mickey was basically on his last legs. The player I was facinated with was Roberto Clemente. He was an amazing player, and what an OF arm!!!

There were a lot of guys in the 1970s who were fun to watch. Rod Carew. Brooks Robinson. Nettles. Munson. Chambliss. Pinella (loved to see him get mad, but he played the game right). Sparky Lyle. Jim Rice (when he hit them, they stayed hit).

Later, guys like Andre Dawson. Bruce Sutter. The mad Hungarian - Al Habrowsky. Dave Winfield, another guy who could do it all.

So many. It would be hard to cut it down to one. But if I had to, it would be Mo. Simply amazing that he can do his thing year after year, for so many years. Just amazing.

You and me must in the same neighborhood in the range of age. Clemente was one of the more fascinating people to watch play the game. His arm was not only as good as guys like Dave Parker, Mondesi or Vlad it may have been even better !!

Growing up my favs (In no particular order)

Bobby Murcer

Graig Nettles

Mike Schmidt

Tug McGraw

Later on it was Robin Ventura, Rice (More Respect than like though) and Cal.

All-Time fav though is O'Neill. Nobody (not even Jeter is close)

1)Darryl Strawberry

2)Gary Carter

3)Mookie Wilson

.....and Now it's....

1)Jose Reyes

2)Carlos Beltran

3)David Wright

GO METS IN 2006

Those ladies in the Lounge sure seem to like you but man you do have BAD taste, lol!

Had 3 actually:

Mickey Tettleton: used to play catcher/1B/OF for the Tigers. Big burly guy who would always have an at bat with a HUGE wad of chew in his mouth. Also had a strange batting stance in which he would hold his bat at his stomach, parallel to the ground without bending his knees. Guy had some great power.

The longest HR I ever seen was hit by Tettleton when he was with Baltimore. He hit a shot in Yankee stadium that hit the lat flag in the upper deck in right field.

Don Mattingly was my favorite player growing up. Tony Gwynn was my favorite non-Yankee.

Both guys had an amazing stroke. Speaking of amazing strokes...

Mark Grace

Will Clark

Tony Gwynn

had the best ,most technically sound swings Ive ever seen. Fluid and effortless.

Well, considering I'm only 16 and didn't get really into baseball until 2003... Mike Piazza and David Wright.

Same basically, I am 20 years old and I never really got the chance to watch great talent for my team...

can you believe I actually remember "Being David Segui" in pickup games as a kid?

Aside from the Mets Player who was currently on top (ie Segui, Ordonez, Visciano, Piazza), My favorite player was Ken Griffey Jr.

OH: Dont forget Vince Coleman

Don Mattingly was the reason I started playing baseball.Also liked Jim Abbott.

When Mattingly retired,my favorites became Paul O'Neill and Tino Martinez.

My favorite non Yankee was always Jeff Bagwell.

Same boat! Jim Abbott was my hero, and still wear 25 in my weekend warrior league cause of him.

Mattingly was my favorite growing up, big fan of Willie Randolph.

Favorite pitcher to watch, El Duque. Crafty and can get guys out with deception, arm angles, and changing speeds.

Now . . .

Cano and Jeter . . . really like the new blood with cano and melky.

Can't beat a bunch of scrappy, hustling yankees!

How bout Andy Hawkins throwing a no hitter and losing! Good god the 80's and early 90's were long!

Im 16 and started following baseball and the Yankees in 1998. My 1st favorite players were Joe Giradi and Tino Martinez and Derek Jeter. I play catcher in baseball and played there since I was younger so my favorite players were always catchers. Then Posada became my favorite player and he still is today. I was always also a fan Roger Clemens when he was with the Yankees. I was and still am a huge fan of Mariano Rivera and of course Bernie Williams. Im pretty much a fan of all the Yankees after all I am a Yankee fan.

being a Mets fan this is tough to admit...but my favorite player of all-time is Graig Nettles. From the time I was in little league, to babe ruth, to high school, to college, minor league & now summer ball, I've ALWAYS wore #9 because of Nettles. Just the way he played the game made me admire him. Maybe it was because the Mets sucked when I grew up in the late '70s and Nettles was all over the place in the '77 & '78 series', but I took a HUGE liking to him. To this day, my buddies bust my chops when we get together, because I'd always "Be Graig Nettles" playing wiffle ball or stick ball when we were kids, even though I'm a Mets fan.

Favorite Mets were Dykstra & Backman. Get down and dirty blue collar players that didn't have the most talent but always busted their balls.

Archived