Do NOT Trade Milledge for Zito!!!

MiguelBormand

Man I cannot stress this enough.

Those of you who comment on metsblog, call up WFAN, 1050, whatever, PLEASE start spreading the message so that Omar is re-assured. DO NOT TRADE MILLEDGE. Do not let these Yankee fan guys like Michael Kay and Fatcessa try to twist Omar's arm into trading away our best prospect. They are not Mets fans, they do not care about having a winning team over the next decade. They just wants to see some excitement so he has more to talk about this year. Dont forget they are also Yankee fans who are in misery right now. Misery loves company and deep down they would like nothing more than to see the Mets trade away their prospects and become overpair and bloated like they are.

A True Mets fan knows deep in his heart this is the WRONG MOVE.

I understand the other side. You want a rental who could help us win a World Series, because "this is the year"... But look at it this way. He will be under a lot of stress coming to New York and being our ace. Who knows how he will react. He is a California kid who likes to light incense and chill out and surf (by his admission)... How will he react to New York life which is totally opposite. What happens if we get to the NLCS or the WS, and we lose? Then you are stuck with trying to re-sign Zito, and you have lost Milledge. Dont worry though, you will get to see him dominate and hit over .300 with 25+ HR and 25+ Steals, lead in outfield assists for the next 10 years, while you watch Zito slowly fall apart.

Zito is also not all he is cracked up to be. His fastball is not killer, and he has a great curve? Guess what, so does Steve Trachsel. People also fail to mention that he often times falls apart in big games:

Date Opponent Score IP ER

Jul 24 BOS L 3-7 5.0 7

Jun 11 @ NYY W 6-5 7.0 5

Apr 3 NYY L 2-15 1.1 7

The way to build a winning team (WS winning) is not to put all your eggs in one basket and shoot for one year. It's to build a solid team and hope to dominate for a while. Right now we have Pedro, Glavine, and El Duque, who will most likely be solid for us in the playoffs. If not we also have Maine, Bannister, Pelfrey, and Trachsel. We only need one of them to be good and another to be decent.

KEEP MILLEDGE IN NEW YORK, HE IS THE FUTURE.

You don't trade him for two reasons.

1) Zito is in his walk year

2) It is a sellers market. With so many teams in contention if the A's do put Zito on the market (No gurantee on that either) it will cost more than just Milledge to bring Zito in. The Reds had to give up a ton of talent along with Austin Kearns to bring in the bullpen help they were looking for so the market has already been set.

Not saying they should make the trade, but if they do, don't be all uptight about it. The Mets are spenders. They can always replace what they lost by picking up a quality free agent. Also, all these can't miss prospects can still miss. See (Mr 5 tools) Alex Ochoa and any number of guys the Yanks traded away for pennant insurance.

Milledge is not on the same scale as Reyes or Wright. And you can replace him.By the same token, I wouldn't even consider moving Pelfrey or bannsiter; good starters are much harder to find. And let's be honest-there are questions about Milledge's act that give you pause-lateness, attitude, etc.

Zito has been hot&cold. But he's lefty. And move him to the NL and the ERA drops at least 1 run a game.He gives the Mets 3 greta starters in a playoff series.

Next year isn't guaranteed since Delgado, LoDuca, Glavine and Pedro(both 6 inning guys at this age already) will all be a year older. The Marlins, Phillies and Braves will all be better. Floyd will be gone altogether. You may not be this close to the pennant for a while. So make the move if you can. I've always felt that the Yankees went hard for Randy Johnson about 2 years too late. Mets might be in the same boat with Zito; do it now because he might be the difference between a pennant and just a playoff berth.

Milledge is not on the same scale as Reyes or Wright. And you can replace him.By the same token, I wouldn't even consider moving Pelfrey or bannsiter; good starters are much harder to find. And let's be honest-there are questions about Milledge's act that give you pause-lateness, attitude, etc.

Zito has been hot&cold. But he's lefty. And move him to the NL and the ERA drops at least 1 run a game.He gives the Mets 3 greta starters in a playoff series.

Next year isn't guaranteed since Delgado, LoDuca, Glavine and Pedro(both 6 inning guys at this age already) will all be a year older. The Marlins, Phillies and Braves will all be better. Floyd will be gone altogether. You may not be this close to the pennant for a while. So make the move if you can. I've always felt that the Yankees went hard for Randy Johnson about 2 years too late. Mets might be in the same boat with Zito; do it now because he might be the difference between a pennant and just a playoff berth.

Really? Will the Earth make a rotation around the sun again, too?

Really? Will the Earth make a rotation around the sun again, too?

Yes.

But none of that will change the dates on Pedro or Glavine's birth certificates. Wanna bet whether Glavine and Pedro will both be as healthy next year? This year means nothing next year.

Yes.

But none of that will change the dates on Pedro or Glavine's birth certificates. Wanna bet whether Glavine and Pedro will both be as healthy next year? This year means nothing next year.

There is still Pelfrey and Humber and Bannister and Maine, 4 young pitchers. It's not all doom or gloom with the Mets to where they are going to be a .500 team next year or a just a WC team like you imply. Nothing guarantees Floyd will be gone, especially because of his hot-hitting of late and his importance in the clubhouse.

This is so true. You make all the moves to win while you have the door open. The Mets have a wide open door to the WS this year. They need the 3rd reliable starter though. You assume Pedro will get healthy, and be Ok. You have to hope Glavine will get back to the way he was until mid-June (his ERA has balooned from 1.94 to 3.69 for the year, just in his last 10 starts). But you need a Zito, or Willis, or Schmidt, to get to the WS, and stand a good chance to win. Teams never have a long window. Next year, the marlins will be that much better. They already are vastly improved from April of this year, and now look like they will easily avoid 100 losses, and may lose less then 90. Braves will be back, they have a very smart Front Office, and will re-tool to compete again.

Lastings may be a great player. He may also be another Alex Ochoa, another Greg Jeffries, another etc. You can always find good hitters in the market. Tough, playoff-tested lefties are rare.

Get him.

Zito would be a HUGE bust in New York. He is a California headcase. No thanks.

I don't think he would do well in the AL with the Yankees. Put him in the NL with his pitching coach. 1.80 era. I think you are looking at something along those lines. That might be a bit low - but he is capable of it and that is my point.

If the Mets trade for him, they can win the WS this year. If they don't trade for him they can't. Do a sign and trade. Get the window and get a new deal done.

I just think it is a no-brainer.

Zito would be a HUGE bust in New York. He is a California headcase. No thanks.

How is Zito a headcase? From everything I see and hear, he is the complete opposite.

Zito would win at least 1 cy young in the NL, and he'd be in the top 5 voting every year.

Milledge for Zito would be a steal for the Mets. You can get solid corner outfielders every year on the FA market, you cannot get young stud lefty starters very often, just ask tampa bay about their young lefty stud.

notice how all the Yankee fans are in support of this, misery loves company

It has nothing to do with being a Yankee fan. We are talking about ways to make the Mets better. They haven't won it all in quite some time so we figured we would give them some helpful hints.

The Yankees right now are a team of overpaid losers, headcases (A-Rod) and has-beens.

I'm sorry, that's not enjoyable for you. No need to be jealous of the number one team in NY though.

Whatever floats your boat, Jermaine.

And right now the Yankees are actually more fun to watch because they have something to play for. Nobody cares about the Mets because they are 12 games up.

Whatever floats your boat, Jermaine.

And right now the Yankees are actually more fun to watch because they have something to play for. Nobody cares about the Mets because they are 12 games up.

First of all i'm not that guy "Jermaine"

second of all "The yankees are more fun to watch" :yahoo:

sometimes you should take a step back and laugh at yourself.

Archived