JetCane Camp Report

Maxman

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mangini was confronted with this question in today's press conference and said that was not true. He said its still anyone's job. Maybe this source is just looking for some attention.

vinny, that may be so, and maybe someone other than CP will end up starting, but being at TC you sure get the vibe that Chad is still the QB as of right now.

l_carpalbook.gif

I'm wrong about as often as i am right, but it looks like I called this one.

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Chad Pennington has won the Jets' starting quarterback job, according to a team official with knowledge of the team's plans.

___

Owww!!

i think I hurt my arm patting myself on the back.

Mangini was confronted with this question... He said its still anyone's job.

I guess Jetcanes needs to figure out a way to get some insider info. :-k

Serially though, I do think it is his job to lose as of now.

I saw the soundbyte where Mangini said he is waiting to see who will "step up".

Everyone else is waiting to see that, too.

I have been neutral on the QB issue. I have read posts thru the off season by people who dont want CP to be the QB, and plenty of posts by those who want to see him bounce back. My only preference is to see the guy in there who will do the best job running the offense and putting points on the board.

Actually, what I do hope is that Clemens becomes the heir apparent by the end of the season.

S'more random observations from this a.m. practice (8/3).

-after the stretching and intense agility drills, they sprinted over to the main field and went into the two minute offense, with Ramsey at the helm. He completed a 25 yarder to Cotch, simulated the TO, ran another play, and then the FG team hustled out (with time running out obviously, and the coaches all yelling out personnel changes) and Nuge blasted a 50 yarder with room to spare.

-Wise working with the OL AND TEs on specific blocking assignments. Had them moving as unit.

-On the other side of the field, the DL working on their assignments as a unit.

-Numerous reps of the KO teams. Westhoff on the cane today, but running a tight show. Dwight got some reps as KOR but didnt look as smooth as Miller, Cotch and Leon.

-Ramsey got about 60% of the snaps, Bolly 30% and Clem 10%. CP got the rest of 'em.

-Music blaring again, and more different plays were run (not too many with any great success). Those of us on the sideline were discussing whether it was because the defense is just outplaying them or they are still in the infancy stage.

-Other than the first two minute offense above, Ramsey did nothing to distinguish himself. He seemed to have trouble finding WRs downfield. Dwight was open a few times and both Bolly and Ramsey didnt get the ball to him.

-Neither QB had a good showing today. CP and Clem basically had the morning off.

-They ran some trick stuff like reverses and a reverse pass, one by Baker who threw a lousy pass. Brad Smith getting plenty of reps and had a strong practice. Made two more acrobatic catches (one on a looong fade pass by bolly). He also went up high over a DB to snare one- good day for him.

-Also a good day for Reggie Newhouse, who had a TD and ran some good patterns and was open, even tho the QBs didnt accurately get him the ball.

-Dyson has been lockdown.

-Lap therapy. Make a mistake, run a lap. Shaun Ellis for one, then Rhodes for getting flagged for holding or PI. then the whole defense, while the offense waited on the field. Then the whole offense got its turn to do a lap, while the D waited for them.

-DB Rayshun Reed had a good day with a pass defended and good coverage on a few other plays.

-I like the way Leon Washington is running. he is having a good camp imo.

-after the stretching and intense agility drills, they sprinted over to the main field and went into the two minute offense, with Ramsey at the helm. He completed a 25 yarder to Cotch, simulated the TO, ran another play, and then the FG team hustled out (with time running out obviously, and the coaches all yelling out personnel changes) and Nuge blasted a 50 yarder with room to spare.

-Wise working with the OL AND TEs on specific blocking assignments. Had them moving as unit.

-On the other side of the field, the DL working on their assignments as a unit.

-Numerous reps of the KO teams. Westhoff on the cane today, but running a tight show. Dwight got some reps as KOR but didnt look as smooth as Miller, Cotch and Leon.

-Ramsey got about 60% of the snaps, Bolly 30% and Clem 10%. CP got the rest of 'em.

-Music blaring again, and more different plays were run (not too many with any great success). Those of us on the sideline were discussing whether it was because the defense is just outplaying them or they are still in the infancy stage.

-Other than the first two minute offense above, Ramsey did nothing to distinguish himself. He seemed to have trouble finding WRs downfield. Dwight was open a few times and both Bolly and Ramsey didnt get the ball to him.

-Neither QB had a good showing today. CP and Clem basically had the morning off.

-They ran some trick stuff like reverses and a reverse pass, one by Baker who threw a lousy pass. Brad Smith getting plenty of reps and had a strong practice. Made two more acrobatic catches (one on a looong fade pass by bolly). He also went up high over a DB to snare one- good day for him.

-Also a good day for Reggie Newhouse, who had a TD and ran some good patterns and was open, even tho the QBs didnt accurately get him the ball.

-Dyson has been lockdown.

-Lap therapy. Make a mistake, run a lap. Shaun Ellis for one, then Rhodes for getting flagged for holding or PI. then the whole defense, while the offense waited on the field. Then the whole offense got its turn to do a lap, while the D waited for them.

-DB Rayshun Reed had a good day with a pass defended and good coverage on a few other plays.

-I like the way Leon Washington is running. he is having a good camp imo.

This is good stuff Cane, thanks big time.

Dyson being lock down and Washington having a good camp is excellent news.

I keep hearing about this Newhouse guy, any chance he sticks?

I keep hearing about this Newhouse guy, any chance he sticks?

It's hard to say. We have to wait and see how things play out in the preseason games. But as long as he doesnt pulll a Gessner, he's definitely in the mix to be a #4

It's hard to say. We have to wait and see how things play out in the preseason games. But as long as he doesnt pulll a Gessner, he's definitely in the mix to be a #4

Good point and great comparison, Chas looked INCREDIBLE in camp last year and then sh!t the bed in all the preseason games. They just kept throwing the ball to him and he kept dropping the darn thing.

awesome job jetcane. better than cimini's blogs :)

no max there will be no board apology to rich ;)

do you mind me suggesting that you start a new thread with each jetcane report, so none of us miss them? it really is a pretty astute report

thanks, joewilly aka board apologist

From another board...

- Its sad watching Bollinger he's too erratic, too quick to run and he

still is having passes knocked down at the line. It got so bad that

B. Schott ripped him saying "get me another QB in there" in came Clemens

and he threw a TD to Moa

Thanks cane good stuff, And of course my Boy from FSU is the real deal as I said before! Leon W. is still young tho but give him a little time and he should be a good one. I'am also happy with Brad smith doing well ,this kid will be our Randel el in the future if you ask me , his college career Stats are SICK,lets hope It will serve him well in the NFL!

As usual great report.

Did Dwight look worse or just not as smooth? Cause I don't think of Dwight as smooth, just fast and frantic.

From another board...- Its sad watching Bollinger he's too erratic, too quick to run and he

still is having passes knocked down at the line. It got so bad that

B. Schott ripped him saying "get me another QB in there" in came Clemens

and he threw a TD to Moa

That's true, although we werent sure if the pass was to Moa (46) or Smith (16).

Dominator, good point. Definitely not as smooth, but he also wasnt finding the open lane as well as the others. Still, its only one practice. i dont watch film or attend meetings, so these random observations are just that.

Hey Cane, did you go to the Yogi Berra school of math????

LOL POTW Nomination

"You give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn't enough in the second half you give what's left."

128 I didnt see who it was, sorry.

Okay, back to football and away from the daily JN soap opera. ;-)

Weds a.m., the team was in full pads. After what was a supposedly lackluster practice last night, there was a lot of enthusiasm to start with.

I was talking to some peeps during the practice, so I dont have as much detail with my random observations as usual. So this will be even more random...

BJ Askew was getting his number called a lot today, with swing passes in the flat from all QBs. I expect we will see that play run Friday night. He did fine when called upon.

Clemens was way off today- the worst of the 5 or 6 sessions I saw. His timing was off as were his passes. Still, he hung in there and found Newhouse a couple of times.

Fred J will be happy to know that Bolly had a good practice today. Early on, he ran the hurry up and led the team to FG range, where Nuge came in and booted a 30 yd chippy.

Ramsey looked a little more comfortable today than he did last week,but nothing to write home about.

CP got some snaps and ok, also nothing to write home about. Bolly and CP each threw a pick. Barton made an int on CP and HOUSED it, much to the delight of the D.

Overall, the QBs started looking a little further downfield and stayed away from the dumpoff passes.

CB Dada (37) had a strong practice, and when Jamie thompson (who has had a good camp) went down with a possible twisted knee, Dada's number came up again for reps.

7 on 7s vs the nickel.

First team nickel today was Rhodes, Smith, Dyson, Miller and Mickens.

Barton and Vilma at LB with the nickel.

Barrett was invisible, and I looked for him.

Strait got 2d team nickel reps.

In the 11 on 11s, there was a beautiful draw play called to Leon W that had the defense fooled, and he housed it untouched.

KO reps- Dwight looks better running KO returns when he rips it right up the middle instead of looking to go up the sideline.

Leon muffed his first chance, but did okay afterwards. Cotchery did fine, too.

Celebrity sightings at practice: Butch Davis...and Gang Green Girl. :eek:

I joined GGG and her mom for a very pleasant lunch. She is doing fine and sends her best!

In the 11 on 11s, there was a beautiful draw play called to Leon W that had the defense fooled, and he housed it untouched.

From what you have seen, do you think he could be a starting back for the NYJ?

Celebrity sightings at practice: Butch Davis...and Gang Green Girl. :eek:

I joined GGG and her mom for a very pleasant lunch. She is doing fine and sends her best!

Ahhh... GGG....

I had lunch with her on the 28th at camp. She is alive and well. Hope to see her in the stands in two weeks.

BZ

thanks JC now stop bull spitting and pay attention next time

LMAO!

From what you have seen, do you think he could be a starting back for the NYJ?

He "could" because anything is possible.

Will he? I doubt he starts in Tenn., but he may get more carries as the season goes on. As many have talked about here and on tgg, it looks like a rb by committee so far. Blalock, Houston and Leon will- or should- all get touches. That keeps them fresh, and I dont think any of them is ready to be the main workhorse.

We also have some weapons at WR- Cotch, Coles, Smith...if CP can get the passing game going, it will open things up for the RBs, and vice versa. A lot depends on the OL. Wise still teaching up a storm today, and they had plenty of contact in their drills. One thing- this team and that unit wont be soft.

(If I had to pick a soft unit- I'd say DL, where Ellis, Robertson and Thomas wont be scaring people.)

I am a firm believer in having to win in the trenches so the position players can make the plays- it doesnt work the other way around.

I think neither line is rock solid, and both have issues. The team, and the skill position players, will go only as far as the lines take them.

Cane,

I went tonight....I will show you what a camp report looks like! The level of detail in my camp report will amaze you.

Coles wore long pants. Everyone else wore shorts. Bryan Thomas didn't seem to be a fan of eminem.

Stuff like that Cane. You are missing the big ticket items!!!

Cane,

I went tonight....I will show you what a camp report looks like! The level of detail in my camp report will amaze you.

Coles wore long pants. Everyone else wore shorts. Bryan Thomas didn't seem to be a fan of eminem.

//taking notes///

Hey Max, is the shotgun part of the offense?

And why are you watching all the players from the waist down?

Cane,

Which players were hot Max?-inquiring minds want to know

Archived