JetCane Camp Report

Maxman

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On a non football note, Pennington stayed the longest when signing autographs. His line was by far the longest and he didn't seem to want to leave until he signed for everyone.

Because he always was and always will be a good guy. That is why I root for him.

Here is my TX answer of the week:

On a non football note, Pennington stayed the longest when signing autographs. His line was by far the longest and he didn't seem to want to leave until he signed for everyone.

Hope PennyBoy didn't re-injure that shoulder signing all those autographs. It must be tough on the old noodle arm.

BZ

I just got back and wanted to confirm that Chad practiced today, and got his share of reps.

I need to get settled in and do a couple of things, and then Ill put a report up. Nothing earthshaking to report, but there did not seem to be anything different with Chad compared to last week.

I just got back and wanted to confirm that Chad practiced today, and got his share of reps.

I need to get settled in and do a couple of things, and then Ill put a report up. Nothing earthshaking to report, but there did not seem to be anything different with Chad compared to last week.

man this is like a rollercoaster with this guy lately-I think Cimini is the bad guy on this deal

Jetcane Thanks for getting us so excited about your report and taking a TV timeout!

Thanks beans!

Tin- i'd say No, he definitely looks like a LB, with great speed for a LB. He is getting serious reps on most special teams. Even in Miami, he was one of the strongest and fittest players. But he is not a safety from what I see.

nice report, jc :D

this is from cimini's blog today

http://blogs.nydailynews.com/jets/

Mea Culpa

Okay, I was wrong. Chad Pennington, as some of you know already, practiced with the first-team offense this afternoon. I thought for sure he was going to go with the fourth team, based on the rotation, but it sure looks like the so-called rotation is tilting toward Pennington, who will be named the starter.

So you want to know how he looked in practice? Pennington showed no lingering effects from the hit he took the other night - or at least none that I could tell, and I watched him pretty closely. He didn

Thanks beans!

Tin- i'd say No, he definitely looks like a LB, with great speed for a LB. He is getting serious reps on most special teams. Even in Miami, he was one of the strongest and fittest players. But he is not a safety from what I see.

Thanks JetCane.I just wish they would update these guys actual weight each training camp on the official site.

Great job JetCane!!!!

Thanks Bro

Hope all is well with you.

Tin, I havent seen the wts lately, but i can tell you McC is one of those guys who is always in peak condition.

The absolute best all-time poster on the Canes boards (in the class of Ham but with a very sharp sense of humor, and no sugar coating his thoughts) always said to believe what you see with your own eyes, regardless of what other people (and writers) try to sell you.

I see McC becoming a great ST player and a solid backup at LB.

JetCane, love your post. It was a pleasure meeting you today at TC. I'm acclimating myself at Jet Nation, and like you said I would, I like it here. See you around.

Green and White:

Welcome to JetNation! There is always room for more diehard Jets fans! Let us know if you have any questions and thank you for signing up!

JetCane....we are going to have to put you on the payroll. Front page camp reports, recruiting new posters...wow. Thank You!!!

JetCane, love your post. It was a pleasure meeting you today at TC. I'm acclimating myself at Jet Nation, and like you said I would, I like it here. See you around.

Glad to see you made it over here, G&W.

It was great meeting you, too.

It's still a big question mark, JFF. I'm a big Kyle Wright fan, but he needs to step up. Keep an eye on frshman WR Sam Shields.

Florida St vs. Miami to open the season off topic is a great beginning to the college season . Actually Aug. 31 there are a number of games being played.

One of the things I love about CBF is seeing guys play who will one day be in the league. Guys like Vilma, Ed Reed, Leon Washington, Coles, Wilfork, Brick, McGahee. It's too early to say what will happen with Shields, but he's already getting some press in the Miami Herald:

Freshman Sam Shields has scored seven touchdowns in his first seven days of Hurricanes practice and is primed to make an impact at receiver, perhaps as early as the Sept. 4 Florida State game at the Orange Bowl.

BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

Amid the anguish of tender knees and pulled hamstrings and sore groins that strike college football teams this time of year, come the stories of hope -- unrefined gems on the cusp of NCAA fame.

Last year at the University of Miami it was new safety Kenny Phillips, who grabbed interceptions during preseason practice like a kid attacking bowls of Halloween candy on the vacant neighbor's doorstep.

This year it's new wide receiver Sam Shields, an 18-year-old ball magnet scoring touchdowns against veterans and causing a stir that has yet to be quelled.

''Superstar!'' Phillips said of Shields. ``He's blessed, man. He will play a part in that Florida State game.''

After scoring seven touchdowns in his first seven days of fall practice following a summer of dazzling his veteran teammates during 7-on-7 workouts, it's highly unlikely that Shields won't touch the ball on Labor Day night in the Orange Bowl.

How much does it help for a youngster such as Shields to debut in the Orange Bowl, as opposed to Tallahassee's Doak Campbell Stadium?

''With Sam, I don't know if it makes any difference,'' UM coach LLLarry Scapecoker said. ``He could play at my house or Tallahassee or down here. He's just going to make plays.''

New UM wide receivers coach Marques Mosely said Shields puts in extra time at position meetings, stays after practice to work on his game and then ``comes back and says, `Coach, what do I need to work on today?'

``Sam is a very gifted athlete. And the thing about Sam is, when you have a gifted athlete who has a lot of confidence, it's scary. Sam has a lot of confidence.''

FOCUS FACTOR

Mosely has made a point to remind Shields to stay grounded and not let the praise get him off track. But the soft-spoken Shields, if anything, seems somewhat shy and intent on preparing for his college debut.

''I need to stay focused on this football thing for Sept. 4,'' he said. ``I'm still working on getting the plays down. I'm still making mistakes. I don't want to get a big head. I just want to learn.''

As a senior last season at Sarasota Booker High, the 6-0, 177-pound Shields caught 67 passes for 1,201 yards and 22 touchdowns, including a 63-yard TD leap over current Florida defensive back Jacques Rickerson in the Class 3A state championship game. St. Augustine beat Booker 31-15, but there was little doubt that Shields' career was just beginning.

''Sam can go up and get the ball at its highest point, and that's hard to teach,'' his high school coach, Fred Gilmore, told The Miami Herald before the state title game.

Teammates say Shields consistently catches the ball with his hands, creates tremendous separation and can outleap the best of them.

Of Shields' 67 receptions at Booker, 44 were touchdowns or first downs. His 4.39 speed in the 40-yard dash -- UM teammates say he's faster, but that conditioning coaches didn't want to acknowledge it -- also helped him return two punts and a kickoff for scores.

Shields said Sunday he was working on returning kickoffs and punts and played with the first team Saturday when Khalil Jones missed practice for a funeral. He said adjusting to ''the speed and smartness of the defense'' has challenged him most. ``You really can't go out there and beat a cornerback like in high school by just running back for the pass and catching it. You have to learn a lot of techniques, and I'm still learning them.

``A lot of stuff is getting thrown at me, and I have to get my mind right. Sometimes I'm lining up wrong and going to the wrong side.''

HEAD GAMES

Shields conceded he is a little wary of the butterflies he will feel opening night. ''Big crowd -- I gotta get that out of my head,'' he said. ``Sometimes I get a little too excited. You don't want to have mistakes when that big crowd is looking at you.''

Shields thought for a moment and smiled.

''I was in Tallahassee last year for the UM-FSU game,'' he said. ``I'm glad the game is here.''

I wasnt planning on going today, but a favorable schedule allowed me to get away in p.m.

This was another full pads practice, on the turf field for the second day in a row. A nice breeze out there today, but it didnt affect any of the kicking. It is a reminder that the scorching heat of July gives way to the transition month of Augustus.

Tony "Hurry up!" Wise must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, because he was in rare form, even for him! He started with a pep talk and verbal instruction- in fact there were a lot of huddles going on with the units today, as new stuff was being put in for both OL and DL as well as the LBs and TEs. Wise worked them hard, and was all over ALL of them, especially Cavko. There is a lineman wearing 62 and I dont know who he is, not did the ballguys I questioned.

I got a better look at the DL today as they were working on their stuff. I dont read anything into it, but Ellis was working with the second unit of Adams and T Johnson. Dave Ball (96) was working with the first unit.

The team took an aggressive step forward today, as the pace and level of hitting picked up. During the scrimmage, I heard many plays where the pads were popping on the LOS- much moreso than previously. Wise really lit a fire under his guys, and early on the offense was having a LOT of success today, much to their delight. The D guys then turned their game up a notch and did a better job of shutting things down as the practice wore on. But it was good to see some of the running plays get going, especially with Leon, who continues to run very well imo, and also seems to be a favorite of mangini's.

Houston runs better than Blalock imo. Blalock hesitates before he hits the line, while Leon and Cedric were hitting the hole cleaner. BJ had a good practice- maybe he fgeels some heat seeing Martin getting some of his reps.

The new FB, Martin wore 44 today. He is a WIDEBODY. A brick sh#thouse/bowling ball who loves to hit. He is in there as a blocking back, and he stood up at least 3 or 4 guys on blocks that I saw, including Thomas, Chatham, Hobson and Ball. Maybe he is one of the reasons why the running game looked better today. mARTIN ALSO GOT A TASTE OF LAP THERAPY TODAY lol, BUT HE SEEMED TO DO A GOOD JOB PICKING THINGS UP QUICKLY.

Sorry about the caps- I have to take a call. I'll finish this in a little while.

Archived