JetCane Camp Report

I wasnt planning on going today, but a favorable schedule allowed me to get away in p.m.

This was another full pads practice, on the turf field for the second day in a row. A nice breeze out there today, but it didnt affect any of the kicking. It is a reminder that the scorching heat of July gives way to the transition month of Augustus.

Tony "Hurry up!" Wise must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, because he was in rare form, even for him! He started with a pep talk and verbal instruction- in fact there were a lot of huddles going on with the units today, as new stuff was being put in for both OL and DL as well as the LBs and TEs. Wise worked them hard, and was all over ALL of them, especially Cavko. There is a lineman wearing 62 and I dont know who he is, not did the ballguys I questioned.

I got a better look at the DL today as they were working on their stuff. I dont read anything into it, but Ellis was working with the second unit of Adams and T Johnson. Dave Ball (96) was working with the first unit.

The team took an aggressive step forward today, as the pace and level of hitting picked up. During the scrimmage, I heard many plays where the pads were popping on the LOS- much moreso than previously. Wise really lit a fire under his guys, and early on the offense was having a LOT of success today, much to their delight. The D guys then turned their game up a notch and did a better job of shutting things down as the practice wore on. But it was good to see some of the running plays get going, especially with Leon, who continues to run very well imo, and also seems to be a favorite of mangini's.

Houston runs better than Blalock imo. Blalock hesitates before he hits the line, while Leon and Cedric were hitting the hole cleaner. BJ had a good practice- maybe he fgeels some heat seeing Martin getting some of his reps.

The new FB, Martin wore 44 today. He is a WIDEBODY. A brick sh#thouse/bowling ball who loves to hit. He is in there as a blocking back, and he stood up at least 3 or 4 guys on blocks that I saw, including Thomas, Chatham, Hobson and Ball. Maybe he is one of the reasons why the running game looked better today. mARTIN ALSO GOT A TASTE OF LAP THERAPY TODAY lol, BUT HE SEEMED TO DO A GOOD JOB PICKING THINGS UP QUICKLY.

Sorry about the caps- I have to take a call. I'll finish this in a little while.

Who else thinks that signing Martin was a wake up call-you better be able to block and pick up blitzes any running backs in the backfield.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks SFJ!

128- the answer to that is no.

___

Once again Ramsey got too many reps for my liking, particularly since he has done ZILCH to distinguish himself with all the looks he is getting at TC. On one play- the one bomb thrown today, Cotch had a good step on Miller and Ramsey overthrew him by 3-4 yards. Trying to be unbiased, he has had a lousy camp so far. Problem is, whenever Bolly get in, all he does is run with the ball- not much to show from either of these guys.

Most of the focus today was on the running game again- heavy rush plays. I'd say less than 10% of the plays were from the shotgun. Leon not only had the best running plays, but he also showed quickness turning the corner- something the other guys havent shown.

Early on, when the offense was having all sorts of success, they ran a reverse to Smith that worked nicely. A few plays later they ran the reverse the in opposite direction, and then Smith pulled up and threw a long one downfield. But Dyson wasnt fooled and had the coverage locked up.

There were three fumbles today- one by Houston after a beautiful 15 yard run up the middle, but he coughed it up right in front of Mangini, who had been standing behind the safeties.

Then, more situational plays- the offense pinned back on its own 2. But Clem and Mangold fumbled the exchange, and went off to run a lap. Chad came in and was not happy when his pass was dropped (I forget who dropped it- it was not a starter; could have been Kowalewski or Pociask).

While still deep in their zone, Chad faded back into his end zone and Kassell came thru untouched and would have caused serious damage in a game. This does not bode well for the O's continued failure to pick up blitzers, but I dont recall who was in there at the time- so lucily for him he wont be named here.

Ten minutes later Clem and Mangold AGAIN fumbled a snap exchange and took another lap- I think the second one was Clem's fault, but what do I know. Missant snapped while mangold took laps.

Issac Snell injured a knee or leg and had to be helped off the field- didnt look good.

Dwight looked like he tweaked a hammy on the last punt return rep, but walked it off and continued practicing.

Mickens had a nice pass defended.

I was watching Jamar Martin a lot, and he is a hitter- he might want to think about losing 5 pounds or so and working on his conditioning, but he could be a helpful addition.

With the addition of Suggs, the backfield looks crowded. Something's gotta give.

On one punt Dwight was running full speed ahead and met up with Chatham, resulting in Dwight getting flattened- the hit of the day.

The offense put in more new plays with shifting into new formations, and using a man in motion, which also confused the D early, but they adjusted to it as the practice progressed.

Justin Miller is having a good camp, and is much more relaxed than he was a year ago. He was whoopin it up and got the team fired up today during the agility drills. Reg Newhouse leads the offense thru the agility drills.

That's all for now.

Jetcane, I would just like to say thank you for all the hard work you put into this. I enjoy your article each and every day, and I know there will be no spin on anything. This isnt something that you have to do, and just know that its much appreciated. Great job, keep it up....you should be getting paid for this..lol

Thanks Vinnys025. Check your pm box.

I just got back from TC and managed to hear the Mangini interview on the way there, and the Vilma interview on the way back. I hate Fatcessa. As soon as Jon got on he said "Lets talk about the Canes" and Fats said no, and never even gave him a chance to talk about 'em. Just add that to the 1005 reason i already hate fatcessa. But just goes to show you can take the guy out of Miami, but you cant take the Cane out of him.

Anyways, it was a very interesting practice to watch today, but not so easy to report on. A LOT of guys were wearing red or gold numbers to signify Skins players. I want to check a few numbers, and then I will do a report.

The Jets have a DL wearing Pope's 75 who made an int on a short pass towards the end of practice- dont know who he is.

They also had a DB wearing 48 who was not Will Thompson. He was toasted a few times.

Strait was back at practice and getting a lot of reps wth the first unit as S and CB.

It was very crowded there today- lots of kids and the stands were filled, but it was a weak crop of MILFs today.

I'll be back soon.

Jetcane, I would just like to say thank you for all the hard work you put into this. I enjoy your article each and every day, and I know there will be no spin on anything. This isnt something that you have to do, and just know that its much appreciated. Great job, keep it up....you should be getting paid for this..lol

No doubt, you're the sh!t JC! You can have all of my vcash as a thank you.;)

LOL@Raffy. All of nothing is...?

SFJ no front page. As I said last night, "I'll stick it right here".

It will be hard to do a lot of detail, because guys werent wearing their regular numbers for a large part of the practice. Like I said, that part was confusing when it comes to reporting on individual players.

Also, it was hard to tell if the offense was running Redskin plays or new Jet plays. For example, they ran a pitch right and pitch left a bunch of times to red#31- Rock Cartright, who I assume will be taking Portis' place.

Ramsey had one of his better practices, as did Mccairens, who caught 2 TDs.

Back in a bit.

Today's practice was run a bit differently from the others I went to. There was little or no agility drills, and a couple of new drills instead.

After stretching, Westoff ran the KOR reps. Brad Smith got some reps as KOR and looked very impressive. He looks faster than the other guys. He had an all around very good practice, making a couple of catches and running crisp patterns.

Then the team broke into three or four units: the WRs and QBs running double move patterns on the turf field, the DBs doing their thing at the end of the grass field, and a one on one drill where the RBs had to take on a blitzing LB. Costanzo and Jackson were the sacrificial lambs doing the blitzing, while the RBs took turns putting a body on them. Guys were ending up on their butts, and this was a heavy contact drill. Even J Martin lost his feet and got knocked down once. Too many reps to keep score.

The DL and LBs were working on different formations and looks, and were going over and practicing their stunts. One of the players I tried to watch today was Kimo, who has gotten no ink in my reports. Unfortunately, he did nothing to merit any special attention.

While all this was going on,the OL were working on getting out in front and downfield to block on screen passes.

So, there was a lot of good stuff going on, but it is difficult to get into much detail as far as individual performances, since the numbers were all off.

Guys were wearing 89 (Santana) and 85 (Brandon Lloyd), as well as 21 Sean Taylor and 40 Archuleta. Also, 98, Marshall- the list goes on. Gold numbers on green for the D and red #s on white for the O.

Ramsey threw perhaps his prettiest pass of the camp- a 35 yarder on the money to Dwight who ran straight downfield from the slot, and caught it for a TD.

This play followed CP's nicest pass of the day, 40-45 yards in the air to 81, who berat Barrett for the TD on the flag pattern. Barrett got a lot of reps today and is obviously rusty. Strait was on the field a lot, too.

Rhodes mafe a beautiful int of a Clem pass right at the end of the seesion on a long pass into the EZ. I think Rhodes and Vilma will be leaders on the D. Rhodes and Cotch both came into camp in great shape, have had great camps, and hopefully this will carry over into the regular season.

All 4 of the QBs looked pretty good today- and Coles grabbed a couple of high throws on the sidelines to help make them look better.

The draw play works nicely when it is called in the right situation (NOT on 3rd and 14!)

Graham was booming them, and they did the punts from their own 2, so there was only 12 yards between the LOS and the back of the EZ.

Nuge looked like he hit all his attempts that I saw.

Vilma on the FAN: "We're not buying into this rebuilding thing. Thats for the media. We are going out there to win games."

Newhouse had a great grab too.

Tutt caught a TD in the goal line offense.

They lined up the OL vs the DL in 5 on 5s on the turf field, while the rest of the team ran 6 on 6s on the grass field.

Thomas and Ellis worked great together on their stunting and had the most success. Mc Chesney and Tui did ok too.

Dave ball was getting a lot of first team reps as the 4th down lineman, with Ellis apparently in the doghouse.

Trevor J had a pick on a screen or dumpoff that he returned for a TD!

WR Wallace Wright (2) probably wont make the team but is doing pretty well.

That is all.

:getgreen:

Jetcane thanks for these reports

Brad Smith I am glad to hear is showing promise- we will need any and all trickery more than likely to score and move the ball this year.

Our MVP Ben Graham

was there for the autographs today

i swear i wanted to see the session but my friend drives really slow i had a job interview at like 2 so i could not get there then got home around 3;15 had to change and then leave

today was the wr and kickers of the team i got c williams (9) m hill(4) c baker 2(19) w wright (2) b smith (16) r newhouse m nugent

coles signed like 3 people and then he left that giving him ******* of the day

let me just say i think i made williams and hill day by calling them by there real name...so many people were calling them silva and mobley (UPDATE YOUR ROSTER NEWYORKJETS.COM NOT FAIR TO THE GUYS)i do belive 44 is j martin now and 14 is j johnson

i also got j thompson and d coleman

also big props to k clemens (remember yesterday i called him ******* of the day) today he redeemed himself by doing extra work for 20 min then signing for the fans

also big props to pennington after his interview with mike and the mad dog signing for me ,my friend and this other kid

and that is my autograph report of the day

Hey JetCane. I was at TC also. I loved the 40 yd CP pass to McCareins. I thought Mc looked good today for a change, no drops.

Loved your MILF comment.

So how did that 40 yd pass look? Was it a perfect throw or did it really float? I only got to see the practice at the Meadowlands, so I really haven't seen Chad throw deep yet.

BTW, talking about 40 yard passes with zip, during sportcenter this morning they did a classic moment for MNF and it was a Jets game against Detroit where Wesley caught 3 td's. One of them was a 40-50 yard ROPE from Kenny O and I just sat in awe at the beauty of that throw, rewound the clip like 5 times.

BTW, talking about 40 yard passes with zip, during sportcenter this morning they did a classic moment for MNF and it was a Jets game against Detroit where Wesley caught 3 td's. One of them was a 40-50 yard ROPE from Kenny O and I just sat in awe at the beauty of that throw, rewound the clip like 5 times.

That was Richard Todd. :)

Hey Gang!

It was another gorgeous day out at Hofstra as this run of great weather continues.

The team practiced in shells, and practiced without CP, who apparently had to take a personal day.

KO reps, but today Westhoff was coaching up the KO coverage team, not the return team.

It was a fun day to watch, as the team ran a lot of scrimmage plays and less drills.

Obviously 5,6 and 11 got more reps with Chad away.

It was a non-contact practice, being in shells, so evaluating how it went has its limitations.

I'll be right back.

The team practiced in shells, and practiced without CP, who apparently had to take a personal day.

KO reps, but today Westhoff was coaching up the KO coverage team, not the return team.

It was a fun day to watch, as the team ran a lot of scrimmage plays and less drills.

Obviously 5,6 and 11 got more reps with Chad away.

_______

Here's the thing about judging how the team does in practice: if the offense rips it up, then the defense must suck, and if the offense steruggles, maybe its because the D was playing really well. This is a double edged sword.

Since Chad wasnt there, let me talk about the other QBs in TC.

There is something about Ramsey that bothers me. I noticed that

-he isnt very productive

-his passing isnt very accurate

-he holds on to the ball too long

-but he seems to know and understand the offense

-he audibles much more than the other QBs, which is annoying since a lot of times the plays he calls dont work.

Bollinger we all know. He is small, he likes to run and takes off too fast. He has his limitations, but at least he knows the team and tries to be a good waterboy when called upon.

Clemens is the wildcard in the equation. He is young and inexperienced, but anyone who watched last week saw that when he faced real tacklers, he showed a LOT of poise.

His learning curve is taking off, and he is getting more comfortable in TC.

His passing is more accurate than Ramsey's. He will still make rookie mistakes, and that is to be expected.

In view of the above, I cut more slack to Clem than the others. Considering Ramsey has been a pro, I view his production in camp as disappointing so far. I emphasize so far, becuase that can change. Maybe he will light it up this week against the Skins. I tend to doubt it, though. As i mentioned the other day, he needs to do something to justify a roster spot. Clem does not.

Back to today- Clem looked slightly better than Ramsey did overall, especially in the two minute offense. After Ramsey struggled some, Clem came in and on the first play launched a BOMB to Wallace Wright (remember that name, he could end up on the practice squad) who beat the defender and hauled it in for a 90 yard TD. I dont know who the DB was because he had a skin number on.

81 dropped a couple, but its not his fault the ball hit him in the hands.

Barrett made a spectacular interception he returned for a TD.

They hardly throw against Dyson because he is lockdown. When they do try, he either breaks it up or picks it off.

Dwight is deceptively fast and has great hands.

A bunch of guys got to run laps today, including Bolly and VILMA (for dropping an int that really was a great pass breakup).

Nienhaus had a rough practice- Hurry Up Wise was on his case, and he had to run a lap.

Blalock looked quick today.

Leon, W. Wright, Graham and Nuge were bright spots today.

Nuge kicked a few KOs over the fence of the grass field that bounced into the roadway.

Punt return reps, but again Westhoff was coaching up the punt coverage team today.

Jamar getting reps on the KOR wedge.

Someone pm'd me about #14- there has not been a 14 on the field since Witherspoon.

They like the reverse play to Brad Smith.

Clem and Katnik messed up another snap exchange.

So far it looks like this team will have to rely on special teams and defense to keep them in games until the offense can somehow get untracked.

Tutt caught another TD in goal line offense.

I am loving watching all this TC, but may not get out there again until next Tues or Weds, so enjoy.

That is all.

:getgreen:

Man I really envy you Jetcane-I used to like to go to spring training down in Lauderdale to watch MY Yankees-it was a cozy park and they moved to Tampa-I used to really be into baseball before they built the Friggin MaRLINS (who I NEVER EVER EVER EVER watch)-you used to be able to see 25-35 games down here before '93 right JetFanFla?

you doing these camps reminds me of that-rant alert

_______

Someone pm'd me about #14- there has not been a 14 on the field since Witherspoon.

my bad 48 is my iwoa boy javon you have to root for a udfa like him he gets cut then he gets signed back a week later but doesnt'nt even get his original number back

speaking of which who saw newsday today had a article about strait ...then it had a pic of strait and it was clearly number 27 terry butler not 20

Clem and Katnik messed up another snap exchange.

did they work it out during extra work out time?

did not make it to the session today so no ******* of the day today