Jeter further establishing his MVP candidate status?

Blackout

.351/.425/.478, 68 runs, 61 RBI, 21 SB (of 23 attempts) coming from the shortstop poisition

i know the BA will probably dip down, but anything over .330 this year would be great.

his only real position-player competition is Ortiz (DH), Thome (DH) and Mauer (misses every 5th game since he's a catcher)

I hate Ortiz. I hate that he doesn't play the field. And I hope that the Sawx lose and lose and lose and don't make the playoffs. But there's no way around it-Ortiz is the MVP. If you're going to make a big deal about Ortiz being a DH, then you also have to consider that "Past a diving"Jeter, as good as he is at the plate, isn't a great defensive SS. On his best day with his limited range he's a little above average. Fruther, if the Yankees have an MVP this year, it's right now Jason Giambi.

Look, I like Jeter as a player. But why didn't he move to 3rd? ANd given how magnamous A-rod was in doing so, why does he continue to not step up and support him? These guys are all like major corporations. But I'm really tired of all this"true Yankee" bullspit. If the Yankees are going to go far into the playoffs, they need A-rod to be playing well. And note-A-rod is beginning to come out of the hole. Look out AL.

I hate Ortiz. I hate that he doesn't play the field. And I hope that the Sawx lose and lose and lose and don't make the playoffs. But there's no way around it-Ortiz is the MVP. If you're going to make a big deal about Ortiz being a DH, then you also have to consider that "Past a diving"Jeter, as good as he is at the plate, isn't a great defensive SS. On his best day with his limited range he's a little above average. Fruther, if the Yankees have an MVP this year, it's right now Jason Giambi.

Look, I like Jeter as a player. But why didn't he move to 3rd? ANd given how magnamous A-rod was in doing so, why does he continue to not step up and support him? These guys are all like major corporations. But I'm really tired of all this"true Yankee" bullspit. If the Yankees are going to go far into the playoffs, they need A-rod to be playing well. And note-A-rod is beginning to come out of the hole. Look out AL.

I was just floored with a feather.

Who is the last MVP with a .249 batting average?

I'm overjoyed the Sawx lost. Keep losing. But I know and everyone knows the most dangerous hitter in the AL is Ortiz. I hope he breaks his wrist or tests positive for roids. But as long as he's playing, he's the guy I don't want to see at bat.

Giambi has 29 HRs, 80 RBI, 64 runs,410 OBP,.572 slugging. He may not be the AL MVP be he's very productive.

a horrible defensive shortstop is more valuable than a gold glove first basemen

and a horrible defense first basemen = david ortiz

a horrible defensive shortstop is more valuable than a gold glove first basemen

Thats ridiculous, nobody wants a horrible defensive shortstop. Maybe if you said an average defensive SS, it might be right depending on their bats.

Thats ridiculous, nobody wants a horrible defensive shortstop. Maybe if you said an average defensive SS, it might be right depending on their bats.

well i wasnt meaning a shortstop with a .800 fielding percentage, because obviously they wouldnt be lasting too long at that position

but a shortstop whos good enough to stay at short, but below average

is that clearer?

well i wasnt meaning a shortstop with a .800 fielding percentage, because obviously they wouldnt be lasting too long at that position

but a shortstop whos good enough to stay at short, but below average

is that clearer?

Well, that wouldn't be called a horrible defensive shortstop now would it, it would be called a below average defensive shortstop. :P

MVPs dont hit .250 (like Giambi) JMO

Ortiz will have to step it up with big hits for him to win it. Right now, the twins arent in the playoffs, so I think Jeter would at least be in the top 3 for MVP voting.

And for chrissake, he cannot defend Arod like that. Arod wouldnt want him to do that either. It would only be worse for Arod for him to have Jeter try and take the heat off of him. Arods gotta do it himself, he's too great of a player for somebody else to stick their neck out for him. Bottom line.

if it hadnt been for Jeter keeping stability in this Yankee lineup, they would be 10 games out of first . . . he is the true definition of an MVP!

As Papi has another walk off hit. And now has a league leading 35 HRs and 99RBIs. And by league, I mean major league.

As much as I'm a Jeter and Giambi guy, the MVP is David Ortiz. Once again last night he proved how worthy he is to the Red Sox' success. Manny Ramirez is a great player but with Ortiz hitting infront of him it just makes that team / lineup / Manny so much better since 2004.

As much as I'm a Jeter and Giambi guy, the MVP is David Ortiz. Once again last night he proved how worthy he is to the Red Sox' success. Manny Ramirez is a great player but with Ortiz hitting infront of him it just makes that team / lineup / Manny so much better since 2004.

call me a purist, i just dislike DH's for mvp's

same goes for giambi* and thome and hafner

C'mon. You can hardly even call him a part-time first baseman. Let's see Papi's stats after a full season at first.

Tabor - Papi is average at first and that is being generous. I found BO's post funny. Anyways, when Papi has played signifcantly at first, his average has been within a few percentage points of the league average for 1B.

Obviously, being on the bench does perserve him. That much though? He is not like an outfielder or SS/2B that is going to have to run, ocassionally dive and come up throwing. Make a few steps. Place foot on bag. Raise glove. IF Big Papi had to do that for 130+ games, he might be what a 40 HR hiter?

If like BO states, you have problems with a DH being MVP across the board, fine. That is a debate for another day. Let's not make him not playing 1B regularly, the only reason he crushes the ball the way he does.

Tabor - Papi is average at first and that is being generous. I found BO's post funny. Anyways, when Papi has played signifcantly at first, his average has been within a few percentage points of the league average for 1B.

Obviously, being on the bench does perserve him. That much though? He is not like an outfielder or SS/2B that is going to have to run, ocassionally dive and come up throwing. Make a few steps. Place foot on bag. Raise glove. IF Big Papi had to do that for 130+ games, he might be what a 40 HR hiter?

If like BO states, you have problems with a DH being MVP across the board, fine. That is a debate for another day. Let's not make him not playing 1B regularly, the only reason he crushes the ball the way he does.

Agreed.

Even Red Sox haters like myself know that Papi deserves the MVP, even as a DH. The team seems to live and die by the swing of his bat a bit much, though. If he starts to falter down the stretch, and I don't think he he will, the Sox could fall.

Archived