Jeter further establishing his MVP candidate status?

Blackout

Agreed.

Even Red Sox haters like myself know that Papi deserves the MVP, even as a DH. The team seems to live and die by the swing of his bat a bit much, though. If he starts to falter down the stretch, and I don't think he he will, the Sox could fall.

The Sox have many things that could cause there fall. They are literally the jack of all trades and masters of none. The are a good hitting team, but not as good as in the past. They are decent pitching team, but too many unknown tangents from starting to relief that could alter slightly and doom the Sox to second again. Then their D has been among the league leaders. The Sox have had alot of things go right for them to remain in first this long.

Jeter

close and late: .321/.471/.415, 17 hits/53 atbats, 11 RBI, 13 walks

RISP w/ 2 outs: .425/.588/.600, 17 hits/40 at bats, 22 RBI, 12 walks

ortiz

close and late: .313/.371/.828, 20 hits/64 atbats, 24 RBI, 6 walks

RISP w/ 2 outs: .288/.431/.558, 15 hits/52 at bats, 25 RBI, 13 walks

Jeter

close and late: .321/.471/.415, 17 hits/53 atbats, 11 RBI, 13 walks

RISP w/ 2 outs: .425/.588/.600, 17 hits/40 at bats, 22 RBI, 12 walks

ortiz

close and late: .313/.371/.828, 20 hits/64 atbats, 24 RBI, 6 walks

RISP w/ 2 outs: .288/.431/.558, 15 hits/52 at bats, 25 RBI, 13 walks

Are you arguing Jeter over Ortiz for MVP?

Hope not but anyway, can you pull those same splits for post season career?

Are you arguing Jeter over Ortiz for MVP?

Hope not but anyway, can you pull those same splits for post season career?

The post season would be skewed due to the many more games Jeter has over Ortiz.

4 rings, a World Series MVP award, game winning WS hit against the d-backs

i'd say Jeter is more than qualified to shut you up.

Very good player.

I just asked for those spilts as since you wanna use them in this years MVP discussions you should have no problem showing them post season. Should you?

old stats for the 2006 season mvp thread?

and i dont believe espn.com, baseball-reference or retrosheet have playoff splits already calculated out, i believe i'd have to go through box scores and recaps and do them manually, which is certainly a waste of time.

go ahead and dig up your article from 2 years ago where someone broke them down, doesnt mean **** to me.

Jeter is not the MVP this season although he is having having his best year IMO. At this point I think he's the favorite to win the batting title as catchers tend to fade a bit late in the season with the beating they take behind the plate. Mauers avg has dropped significantly of late and Jeter has a shot at his first batting title. Would be nice for his HOF resume but being that no player in MLB has more hits than Jeter since he's come in to the league to go along with being a lock for 100 R per season, 190+ hits almost a given, the gold gloves, and the four rings....the guy is in.

These are the candidates WARP 3 or Wins Above Replacement Player 3.

Mauer=9.8

Thome=7.5

Jeter=10.2

Ortiz=8.1

1st-Jeter

2nd-Mauer

3rd-Ortiz

4th-Thome

interesting sidenote, both ORtiz and Manny ramirez have created 91 runs, but Manny has done so with 32 less plate appearances. Ortiz isn't even the most valuable run-creater on his own team :-D

These are the candidates WARP 3 or Wins Above Replacement Player 3.

Mauer=9.8

Thome=7.5

Jeter=10.2

Ortiz=8.1

1st-Jeter

2nd-Mauer

3rd-Ortiz

4th-Thome

interesting sidenote, both ORtiz and Manny ramirez have created 91 runs, but Manny has done so with 32 less plate appearances. Ortiz isn't even the most valuable run-creater on his own team :-D

Blackout-For a guy that seems to love baseball so much, you sure do rely on numbers a whole lot.

Here is a suggestion for you-Rely less on numbers, rely less on what other people tell you should be important in a ball player and rely more on what you SEE.

You will come off much better in these baseball discussions where you seem the automaton who can't back up a premise when asked to without spouting numbers that really don't mean that much.

Blackout-For a guy that seems to love baseball so much, you sure do rely on numbers a whole lot.

Here is a suggestion for you-Rely less on numbers, rely less on what other people tell you should be important in a ball player and rely more on what you SEE.

You will come off much better in these baseball discussions where you seem the automaton who can't back up a premise when asked to without spouting numbers that really don't mean that much.

I think we can both say Jeter and Ortiz are having MVP callibor seasons

Numbers are used to decide who has had more value overall

I think we can both say Jeter and Ortiz are having MVP callibor seasons

Numbers are used to decide who has had more value overall

You use numbers as THE determining factor.

Numbers are certainly important as a basis of reference. But, they are not the be all to end all in discussions as you present them. It is not that Black and White.

Watch baseball, dont read baseball to form your opinions.

Jeter is having a great year but will not win per the wide spread conspiracy against the Yankees when it comes to awards.

Or so I hear.;)

Ortiz's final power numbers and walk-off hits will just be to great to ignore as mentioned earlier.

Today Ortiz would have to be the clear favorite with Jeter lumped in behind him with Mauer, Carlos Guillen, Manny,Thome and probably a few others.

If the Sox dont make the playoffs, I do not see Oritz winning it. Plain and Simple.

The Sox and Yankees are going toe to toe right night, so if the Yankees win the division and the Sawx dont get in, Jeter will probably win the MVP if he keeps this up.

MVPs shouldnt be for players whos teams didnt make the playoffs - which why Arod winning it on the rangers a few years ago was just stupid.

If the Sox dont make the playoffs, I do not see Oritz winning it. Plain and Simple.

The Sox and Yankees are going toe to toe right night, so if the Yankees win the division and the Sawx dont get in, Jeter will probably win the MVP if he keeps this up.

MVPs shouldnt be for players whos teams didnt make the playoffs - which why Arod winning it on the rangers a few years ago was just stupid.

if one players numbers are so far ahead of the pack (ie A-rod) i can see it

but in this years case, Jeter has just as good a case (infact, even better when you break it down) than Ortiz

why? ofcourse things can change, but at this point of the season I'll take Jeter as MVP

if you want to live in a world with no interesting and educational conversation then I suggest you tune into "The Hurd" on ESPN radio, that might fit your personality better

why? ofcourse things can change, but at this point of the season I'll take Jeter as MVP

if you want to live in a world with no interesting and educational conversation then I suggest you tune into "The Hurd" on ESPN radio, that might fit your personality better

If you want to live in a world where number's are the be all and end all, and the basis upon which you make all your statements, I suggest you go into computer programming and stats. I will personally send you a pocket protector with my company logo on it, and sponsor your fantasy sport teams. I will even get a recommendation from Max for you, if he is in a giving mood that day.

Just as a favor, just don't ever mention your fantasy sports team here, and how players and "real life" events affect said team. Ooops. Sorry, too late on that one.

If you want to live in a world where number's are the be all and end all, and the basis upon which you make all your statements, I suggest you go into computer programming and stats. I will personally send you a pocket protector with my company logo on it, and sponsor your fantasy sport teams. I will even get a recommendation from Max for you, if he is in a giving mood that day.

Just as a favor, just don't ever mention your fantasy sports team here, and how players and "real life" events affect said team. Ooops. Sorry, too late on that one.

so I can't drive a big rig like you?

if one players numbers are so far ahead of the pack (ie A-rod) i can see it

but in this years case, Jeter has just as good a case (infact, even better when you break it down) than Ortiz

LOL ...well then prepare to post another we were robbed conspiracy thread come this off season.

Archived