Pat fans will try and downplay the departure of Vinatieri

NIGHT STALKER

However, if Gramatica gets the nod....look out, this team will falter in close games!

Don’t be surprised if veteran Martin Gramatica gets the early edge on rookie Stephen Gostkowski, the 118th overall pick in April’s draft, to succeed Adam Vinatieri as the Patriots’ placekicker. We hear that Gostkowski hasn’t really embraced the challenge yet, and the coaching staff is concerned that it won’t be able to trust him in pressure situations. While Gostkowski has shown impressive leg strength, the fact that Gramatica has proven he can make pressure kicks could be the deciding factor, at least for this season. Word is Gostkowski will get the majority of the opportunities early in the preseason in the hope that he wins the job outright. However, if he falters and Gramatica wins the job, Gostkowski would likely be placed on the practice squad since the team is loath to devote two roster spots to kickers.

Article is from Pro Football Weekly

It is not like Belichick has not bucked conventional trends before on roster numbers.

I do not remember his name, but they did that in the past. The Pats tried to pass a kicker, Something Owen I think, to the ps squad and the Giants scooped him up.

If Gostowski does not work out, he pulls a muscle and is IR'd for the year. Too early to try and pass a 4th round pick to the PS, unless he is areally really bad.

i was talking to my uncle today (A patriot fan) and his reply on Vinnetari was "well he's on the downside of his career, its not as big a loss as you'd think"

im like "yeah sure buddy, you tell me that when Grammatica misses half his kicks next year"

i was talking to my uncle today (A patriot fan) and his reply on Vinnetari was "well he's on the downside of his career, its not as big a loss as you'd think"

im like "yeah sure buddy, you tell me that when Grammatica misses half his kicks next year"

As Tex said, Gramatica is there for competion purposes only.

I agree with your uncle.

His not resigning with the Patriots does not make sense given the circumstances. They tagged him and paid him 2.5 million. The Colts offer was not that much more on average (800K) then what they paid him. I am pretty sure Belichick knew how much the cap was going to go up significantly with kraft a major player on the finance committee.

A couple of years ago, AV had a back injury and his play suffered. He had a decent season last year, but not as good as he had in the past. Last year kind of reminds me of the Carolina Superbowl year. He missed a few FGs that year. Important ones to. IMHO, the back is worse and is probably as good as it is ever will be.

He will be missed, but I think his days as being the numero uno clutch kicker are probably over.

Early reports from Camp indicate the the rookie is ahead of Gramatica. No way Gramatica is the Pats opening day kicker. I'm willing to bet 500 v-points on it! ....well, when that v-thingy is working again.

Early reports from Camp indicate the the rookie is ahead of Gramatica. No way Gramatica is the Pats opening day kicker. I'm willing to bet 500 v-points on it! ....well, when that v-thingy is working again.

Come on, you know Max. The Jets will win a Superbowl before that thing is fixed. I am guessing he is hoping everyone forgets and eventually takes off the forum page.

It's how the Pats work, when something happens their media dept is great at putting the "Patriots Spin" on it. How do you think that "bad back" rumor got started about Adam V...Patented Patriots damage control..and Pats fan buy it hook, line and sinker.."In Bill we Trust right"..I think losing AV was a major boo-boo!!

It's how the Pats work, when something happens their media dept is great at putting the "Patriots Spin" on it. How do you think that "bad back" rumor got started about Adam V...Patented Patriots damage control..and Pats fan buy it hook, line and sinker.."In Bill we Trust right"..I think losing AV was a major boo-boo!!

yea so does every knowledgeable football fan here-EXCEPT Pats fans who usually espouse being these great football minds-except when talking about anything bad the Patriots might be doing-then they'll quickly resort to the 3 outta 4 they had once,-a long time ago

I'd be hating it if WE lost a clutch scoring machine like AV and would be here saying "what WERE they thinking?!!!"

Archived