Abreu-Yanks close---Rotoworld takes shot at Yanks

GimmeShelter

ESPN's Jayson Stark believes the Yankees will acquire Bobby Abreu and Cory Lidle from the Phillies for 2005 first-round pick C.J. Henry and right-hander Steven White.

The Phillies could likely get better prospects for Lidle alone, but that so clearly isn't the point. Abreu's no-trade clause may or may not be a stumbling block. The Yankees are apparently prepared to pick up his $16 million option for 2008 in order to keep him happy, though it's not guaranteed that Abreu wouldn't want more to sign off on the deal. In taking Abreu's contract, the Yankees would be employing about $100 million more in talent than any other team in baseball. If they can win under those circumstances, well, Joe Torre really must be a genius.

Source: ESPN Insider

pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifleft_corner_bt_player_news.gifpixel.gif

by october, once we get in the playoffs (wild card or division), we'll have abreu,melky, damon, matsui, bernie, sheff*

who's to sit out?

Melky & Bernie hit the bench.

RF - Abreu

CF - Damon

LF - Matsui

DH - Sheffield

Melky & Bernie hit the bench.

RF - Abreu

CF - Damon

LF - Matsui

DH - Sheffield

I don't know about this...and then play Giambi at 1b? We would be giving up a lot on defense having Phillips' glove on the bench.

To tell you the truth, I don't even want Abreu...why? Arms, Yanks need arms more than a bat. If no arms are available, I wouldn't make any trades just for the sake of making one.

It's just too bad so many crappy teams are still in the playoff hunt or there would be more pickings.

I don't know about this...and then play Giambi at 1b? We would be giving up a lot on defense having Phillips' glove on the bench.

To tell you the truth, I don't even want Abreu...why? Arms, Yanks need arms more than a bat. If no arms are available, I wouldn't make any trades just for the sake of making one.

It's just too bad so many crappy teams are still in the playoff hunt or there would be more pickings.

You can't have Andy Phillips' bat in the lineup in the playoffs.

You can't have Andy Phillips' bat in the lineup in the playoffs.

On the other hand, you can't have Giambi's glove on defense either...pitching and defense wins the big games. If you score only three runs and have pitching and defense to back that up, you win.

On the other hand, you can't have Giambi's glove on defense either...pitching and defense wins the big games. If you score only three runs and have pitching and defense to back that up, you win.

Will you and others stop portraying Giambi as a terrible defenseman? He's not David Ortiz out there at 1st base. He's not that bad. I'll take the bats of Giambi and Sheffield over the glove of Phillips and the bat of Giambi anyday in a Game 7.

Will you and others stop portraying Giambi as a terrible defenseman? He's not David Ortiz out there at 1st base. He's not that bad. I'll take the bats of Giambi and Sheffield over the glove of Phillips and the bat of Giambi anyday in a Game 7.

Well, you know what, why don't you fax over your thoughts to the Yankees brass because somehow they got the impression he ain't that good on defense either. And no one is saying he's as bad as HGH Ortiz.

With Abreu and Lidle the Yanks Payroll is 100 million dollars more than anyone else. Crazy. Take the guy with an almost 5 ERA in the NL and the guy with the 18 million dollar option for next year who hasn't hit a HR in like 35 games. Don't see how this improves the Yanks and they continue to not cultivate a minors system. Although them holding on to Hughes is good for them. Phillies should have been able to get more, but sometimes it works that way.

With Abreu and Lidle the Yanks Payroll is 100 million dollars more than anyone else. Crazy. Take the guy with an almost 5 ERA in the NL and the guy with the 18 million dollar option for next year who hasn't hit a HR in like 35 games. Don't see how this improves the Yanks and they continue to not cultivate a minors system. Although them holding on to Hughes is good for them. Phillies should have been able to get more, but sometimes it works that way.

In fairness to the Yanks this means that they won't pick up Sheffs option which has been their plan since the Game Of Shadows book came out in Spring training. That offsets some of the $$$$'s.

They will however add some 16mill I believe in Posada's option triggered by games played or AB's.

I like Lidle when he is on a hot streak. Abreu though is a dog and soft on defense. Never wants to make contact with the wall.

I would imagine Melky is now expendable despite all the overhype there is no position for him next year other than what he really is, a 4th Outfielder..

If I am the Yanks I move him for good middle relief help.

Good move considering having BOTH Sheff and Matsui make it back cannot be considered a sure thing.

I think this is a deal that in all honesty did not need to be made.

With Matsui coming back soon you just put him back in left and move Melkey to right. Screw Sheffield and continue with Giambi and Phillips and first and let Bernie be the bat off the bench.

Lidle does not thrill me in least.

Cashman may have gotten a nice deal in getting Abreu but I just don't think it was that "gotta have him type of deal".

I think this is a deal that in all honesty did not need to be made.

With Matsui coming back soon you just put him back in left and move Melkey to right. Screw Sheffield and continue with Giambi and Phillips and first and let Bernie be the bat off the bench.

Lidle does not thrill me in least.

Cashman may have gotten a nice deal in getting Abreu but I just don't think it was that "gotta have him type of deal".

Homey. The Yankees or any other team for that matter, arent getting anything better than a #3 starter on the trade market. Practically every team in the league feels they are in the wild card race, they're not gonna trade their top pitchers.

Also, even if/when Matsui and/or Sheffield return, they arent going to be hitting right out of the box, they'll struggle, and maybe neither will be 100% this season. We had to get a good bat, and we did. That RF platoon was not gonna get it done to win this division. And Cory Lidle is better than any 5th starter we could throw out there.

Even Jayson Starks just said Cory Lidle might be the best pitcher traded by July 31st deadline. Even though I think that wont be the case, he's still a nice addition who wont give up 8 runs in 3 innings.

Archived