(8/2) Newsday: A whip-cracking attitude gets Mangini by - for now

Sperm Edwards

A whip-cracking attitude gets Mangini by - for now

August 2, 2006

From the day he took this job Eric Mangini knew he'd be typecast as the 35-year-old Kid Coach, the Boy Wonder whom the sad-sack Jets risked hiring. He never came out and said he wanted to send a message during his very first training camp as an NFL head coach. But his actions have screamed it.

Already, Mangini has made the Jets' mending workaholic quarterback Chad Pennington squirm by tossing him into a four-man quarterback rotation in which Pennington gets no more snaps in the new offense than the backups or hotshot rookie who are longshots to start. Mangini didn't care how startling or even disrespectful it might look to put another Jets incumbent, venerated running back Curtis Martin, on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list on the opening day of camp, and he used the same designation to embarrass Justin McCareins, one of last year's starting receivers, after McCareins failed a conditioning test on opening day.

A contrite McCareins did pass on his second try - at the ungodly assigned hour of 6:30 a.m. the next day.

If Mangini had just stopped there, he would've gotten people's attention. But he's also ordered players to run laps when they screw up a drill. The last time many of them did that was high school. He's said he'll fine players for divulging in-house information to the media.

Though the air temperature was 95 degrees at the Jets' morning practice yesterday and it was seven or eight degrees hotter than that on the artificial turf field, Mangini drove the team through a 2 1/2-hour session in the sauna-like conditions, knowing another 5:30 p.m. practice lay ahead. And the players, being no dummies, are already parroting Mangini's catchphrases like ventriloquist dolls.

"It goes both ways," linebacker Jonathan Vilma said yesterday with a smile. "We all know he's watching us. And he knows we're all watching him."

At his tender age, Mangini couldn't possibly have the resume to match the two NFL masters and former bosses that he's unabashedly cribbing from, Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells. And that's fine. For now.

Mangini can get away with the whip-cracking tactics because the players know he can always fall back on the nine scariest words they could possibly hear in the non-guaranteed contract world of the NFL: "You'll do what I say. Because I'm the boss."

But there's a tightrope that a new and unproven coach like Mangini walks, even if he does take over a team that was 4-12 last year and presumably starved for success.

If the Jets win or even just show steady progress this season, Mangini's approach will be embraced. But if all this coach-speak about character and selflessness, maniacal attention to detail and focus leads to a 1-5 start, Mangini's cage-rattling approach or say-nothing news conferences will drive people crazy. Because Mangini hasn't earned any benefit of the doubt.

Mangini genuinely may have the same rock-ribbed attitude that Parcells has evinced for years. But so far he doesn't show any of the compensating wit or lacerating sense of humor that Parcells also wields. Parcells makes a player feel a bit entertained even as he's savaging him.

Mangini hasn't worked long enough to develop Belichick's mad genius vibe, either. But he does have the potential to develop the spooky sense of emotional detachment that Belichick is liable to show.

The gambit that first-year Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum took in hiring Mangini, his longtime friend, is that Mangini will turn into something approaching Belichick in the New England years rather than Belichick in the Cleveland years. The Browns' fans and media wanted to run that guy out of town.

Even Belichick, looking back now on his maiden coaching voyage, admits mistakes were made.

Mangini is cracker jack smart. He's off to an auspicious start here. But the right one? We'll see.

I have faith that will be a lock..if you watch the Jets practice's they spend alot of time on "situations" which is what the NFL game ia all about and doing it in practice will make it seem automatic in games..I don't think clock management will ever be an issue under Mangini, I'm sure they will have every situation covered to the absurd..Thats why I like Coach Mangini, methodical, calculating, all football all the time and a perfectionist...sounds like a good combination to have as a football coach.

That was a good read. The bottom line is this...Mangini's actions in camp will carry him for awhile. At some point he needs to back it up with good coaching on gameday.

Touche'.

This stuff in Camp makes for a good read for the fans, who want some semblence of discipline after not seeing any in Hofstra for the past few years. It may even make the players stand up and take notice.

But you need to do it on Game Day. That is the real test. And not just by knowing how much time is left on the clock.:rolleyes:

Discipline and hard work and preparation sets up the building blocks only so much- you have to have the talent on the field to succeed.

Mangini under game conditions will be another test

Agreed Faba, but it's not baseball were you just pay for talent, hard caps our here to stay in the NFL, thats why a good GM is a must and one teams cast off is another's team starter, it takes awhile in the NFL to get enough real talent and alot of creativity monotarialy to keep it. The Pats have been successful because people like Brady are willing to take a little less to keep the team on top.

I have faith that will be a lock..if you watch the Jets practice's they spend alot of time on "situations" which is what the NFL game ia all about and doing it in practice will make it seem automatic in games..I don't think clock management will ever be an issue under Mangini, I'm sure they will have every situation covered to the absurd..Thats why I like Coach Mangini, methodical, calculating, all football all the time and a perfectionist...sounds like a good combination to have as a football coach.

All the game strategic brilliant game planning, perfectionism, all the motivational skills, all the Bellichek speak, doesn't explain why Mangini didn't carry it forward to actual games as the DC of the Patriots last year. The Patriot defense was seldom in a position to make plays, played an ultraconservative defense and were poorly disciplined as a defensive unit.

Want proof? 26th in total defense, 31st in pass defense, 31st in defensive takeaways and the 5th most penalized defensive unit in the NFL. The Patriot defense under Mangini actually ranked below the Chiefs defense.

Arguments against.... the usual, no mention of his failure as a DC, instead the Jennifer Jets will argue, Herm Edwards sucks, Donnie Henderson stinks and Mangini learned everything he knows from Bill Parcells and Bill Bellichek.

quote from article;

"But he does have the potential to develop the spooky sense of emotional detachment that Belichick is liable to show."

another trait Edwards never had which cost us our RB-of-the-future and almost a QB's whole career

Lia-

The Pats defense was a bad PI call away from thr AFC title game.

Again, name the 5 teams that were clamoring for the services of your beloved Coach Jerk Chicken, or be quiet.

Bugg you fool. Rush defense is meaningless. It's all about the pass defense. It's pass defense that wins championships:

2005 Packers = #1 pass defense (4 wins)

2005 Jets = #2 pass defense (4 wins)

2005 Saints = #3 pass defense (4 wins)

Now just LOOK at these crappy superbowl teams & their shoddy pass defenses. 3/4 of them weren't even top-10 let alone top-3 like the elite teams above.

2005 Steelers = #16 pass defense

2004 Pats = #17 pass defense

2003 Pats = #11 pass defense

2002 Bucs = #1 pass defense

2001 Pats = #22 pass defense

2000 Ravens = #6 pass defense

1999 Rams = #24 pass defense

1998 Broncos = #28 pass defense

JensenSchool is now in session. I hope I got an 'A' in Defense.

this is actually a pretty good article. mangini can get away with this in his 1st season especially with how much youth is on the squad. i don't think he run training camp like this year in and year out. veteran teams do not respond well to this type of camp - especially with so many off-season conditioning demands. i bet next season will be a significantly lighter training camp.

ahhh wth was that about? ungodly hour of 630? I wake up at 415 and dont bitch. 2 1/2 hours of practice is physicallying (i can't spell or insert a sad face here either) demanding but it's not like it's forced labor. She is the epitome of what is wrong with America. Whines and bitches about anything that is even remotely tough (even when it doesnt effect her personally).

Mangini can get away with the whip-cracking tactics because the players know he can always fall back on the nine scariest words they could possibly hear in the non-guaranteed contract world of the NFL: "You'll do what I say. Because I'm the boss."

dumbest **** ever. She writes like a highschooler(sp? again). Anyone who has ever written an article for this site writes better than her. Holy hey-zeus im rereading it to get more ammo and it hurts to freakin read. Actually painful. The whole thing about how hes kinda like parcells and kinda like belli... f*ing *#$*&. Doesn't belong in a legitamate (why cant i spell?) paper.

He's disciplined. Thats it... nothing else. Think about it: if the players dont mess up they dont run extra laps. Easy concept... know your **** + execute = don't run.

Fining players for talking to the media? Team rule says dont talk... so you dont talk.

I've run out of steam but i'm gonna find a copy of that paper and take a mean Soothsayer on it...

Archived