It ain't just about money

NIGHT STALKER

Would the Yankees have been able to trade for Abreu without their unparalleled five-tool check-writing talents? Of course not. But the people who think they're only about money are the same people who think everything in life is about money.

It isn't just about the bucks they have. It's about the brains they employ to spend those bucks. And Brian Cashman, his baseball entourage and his club's president and dollar-allocator, Randy Levine, proved again over the weekend how formidable they can be.

Cashman and Co. hovered on Abreu for weeks, foresaw the Phillies' desperation to dump dollars even while they were being told relentlessly this would never be just a salary-expungation, and then convinced the Phillies that including Cory Lidle in this trade was their only hope to make it happen.

So now here the Yankees sit, having added Abreu, Lidle and Craig Wilson (from Pittsburgh) for one talented project (C.J. Henry), one 27-year-old relief pitcher (Matt Smith), two kids out of the Gulf Coast League and a pitcher they would have released, Shawn Chacon. Amazing.

Yeah, it wouldn't have been possible without that Boss Steinbrenner checking account. But what these guys just pulled off carried an indispensable element of pre-deadline genius.

And Speaking Of That Abreu Trade ...

Now presenting the most lopsided deadline deal of this millennium: Abreu and Lidle for four guys the Yankees already have forgotten they ever employed.

C.J. Henry? "I've never seen a shortstop throw like that in my life," said one front-office man. "First-round buzz. First-round athleticism. But he's just a guy where all you do is dream about his athleticism and hope it clicks."

Matt Smith? "Fringe guy," said one scouting director.

Jesus Sanchez? Carlos Monasterios? "With players that far away, who the hell knows," said one exec.

Over and over in the last few days, people from all walks of baseball have been asking: That's all the Phillies got for Bobby Abreu? And the answer is: You've got it.

The Yankees will pay Abreu about $4.4 million this season and $15 million next year."I keep asking myself, 'Is there something I don't know about Bobby Abreu that they know?' " said a high-ranking official of a team that would have loved to add Abreu in a less complicated, dollar-signed world. "I'm just baffled that they could not get anything back for a guy this good. And they paid him $1.5 million to waive his no-trade clause. And they just tossed in Cory Lidle -- tossed him in. I know for a fact there were teams that offered better prospects for Lidle alone. I don't get it."

Well, we don't get it, either. We've always looked upon Pat Gillick as a man of vision. So we'll give him every opportunity to prove that he can take that $21 million he just saved on his car insurance and transform the landscape of a fallen franchise.

But we still don't get it. Gillick is right when he says this group of Phillies had its shot, didn't win and needs to be disassembled. He's right when he says they need to change the mix, and he couldn't do that without more payroll flexibility.

But we still don't get it. Three different teams told us they thought they offered a better package for just Lidle than the Phillies got for both guys. So if the market for Lidle was that good, or even close, why not do that, hold onto Abreu for two months and try to deal him again in the offseason?

If his money situation made him so tough to deal, why not hang onto him until next year, try to win with one of the best offensive players in the league and, if that didn't happen, deal him at the '07 deadline?

To make this kind of trade, just for the joy of cashing out, simply tells the sport that either you think Abreu is outrageously overrated or your team is in major financial trouble -- or both.

Maybe there's a whole different reason we're missing. But that's merely proof that, like many folks who have looked at this deal from near and far, we just don't get it.

Exactly, i'd say its more about the phillies and pirates being dumb than the yankees genius. There's no two ways about it, without the money, the yankees would be garbage. Its kind of hard to spent $225 million on a team and not have a very good shot at the playoffs every year.

It is about the money.

What is that saying heard in sports? "When they say it is not about the money, it is really about the money."

For the Skank zealots, I know Boston is rich and are at the worst Top 5 in revenue generated.

JFF it is funny to see Skank fans trying to rationalize the trades by pushing them off as other teams failures. No, it is about the money and Skank fans are always wrong on this issue. Always.

Here are the facts. No one has the bank of the Yankees. The next tier of teams: Sox, Mets, Cubs and Giants and Dodgers all have a good lead over the tier below them.

Look at your roster. Those are not all great moves by your GM (i.e. drafting Jeter, Posada and Rivera). For the most part, they are moves driven by the state of the game. Nothing wrong with it, but let's keep it in the proper context. A-Rod (25 million): when Texas found they could not fit the bill and be competitive due to their smaller gross revenue sought a trade. Boston dropped the ball, thankfully, and the Yankees picked it up. Giambi (20 million): when the 20 million contracts started to be handed out, Giambi was a prooven hot young prospect hitting the market at the right time. Suitors were only realistically the teams named above. Moose (19 Million): Boston was a suitor for a bit, but it came down to who can afford him and like with most players seeking the big dollars, it was the Yankees that won out due to gross revenue.

It does not end there. Randy? D-backs sucked and he became too pricey for a bad team with limited resources. Ditto Abreu. Damon? Boston offered him the world, but Yankees offered the galaxy. Matsui? Putting aside the faults in the international draft aside, went to the big name team. Who is big because of the big money. Look at Boston's roster and it is the same. Manny. Schilling. Beckett. Pedro. Damon and maybe now Coco. These are but a few names off the top of my head.

It is about the money. Whether a team has it or does not have it, it is about the money. Whether the trade was balanced or not means little, the bottomline was the Philles wanted to divest themselves of salary and exchanged at a rate of 50 cents to the dollar to do it. The Yanks took advantage of the system. Just like the Sox did last winter in obtaining Beckett. The have nots always look to the haves when it is time rebuild because that is where young cheap players that will unlikely see playing time because there is a 8-15 million dollar player occupying a starting position.

It is always about the money.

It is about the money.

What is that saying heard in sports? "When they say it is not about the money, it is really about the money."

For the Skank zealots, I know Boston is rich and are at the worst Top 5 in revenue generated.

JFF it is funny to see Skank fans trying to rationalize the trades by pushing them off as other teams failures. No, it is about the money and Skank fans are always wrong on this issue. Always.

Here are the facts. No one has the bank of the Yankees. The next tier of teams: Sox, Mets, Cubs and Giants and Dodgers all have a good lead over the tier below them.

Look at your roster. Those are not all great moves by your GM (i.e. drafting Jeter, Posada and Rivera). For the most part, they are moves driven by the state of the game. Nothing wrong with it, but let's keep it in the proper context. A-Rod (25 million): when Texas found they could not fit the bill and be competitive due to their smaller gross revenue sought a trade. Boston dropped the ball, thankfully, and the Yankees picked it up. Giambi (20 million): when the 20 million contracts started to be handed out, Giambi was a prooven hot young prospect hitting the market at the right time. Suitors were only realistically the teams named above. Moose (19 Million): Boston was a suitor for a bit, but it came down to who can afford him and like with most players seeking the big dollars, it was the Yankees that won out due to gross revenue.

It does not end there. Randy? D-backs sucked and he became too pricey for a bad team with limited resources. Ditto Abreu. Damon? Boston offered him the world, but Yankees offered the galaxy. Matsui? Putting aside the faults in the international draft aside, went to the big name team. Who is big because of the big money. Look at Boston's roster and it is the same. Manny. Schilling. Beckett. Pedro. Damon and maybe now Coco. These are but a few names off the top of my head.

It is about the money. Whether a team has it or does not have it, it is about the money. Whether the trade was balanced or not means little, the bottomline was the Philles wanted to divest themselves of salary and exchanged at a rate of 50 cents to the dollar to do it. The Yanks took advantage of the system. Just like the Sox did last winter in obtaining Beckett. The have nots always look to the haves when it is time rebuild because that is where young cheap players that will unlikely see playing time because there is a 8-15 million dollar player occupying a starting position.

It is always about the money.

PFSIKH, it's not like your team doesn't spend the money...sounds to me like you Red Sux fans are starting to feel the heat.

The bottom line is the Yankees work within the system and they have an owner who is not afraid to spend his money. If MLB doesn't like the present system in place, then by all means the owners and players should get together and change it.

Personally, as a Yankees fan, if they want to spend millions to put a competitive team on the field each and every year I'm all for it. If fans from other teams don't like it, tough ****.

Remember that old saying, "whoever has the most toys wins"...in this case, the Yanks have the money to buy the toys.:cheers:

We're the Yanks and you're not...case closed.:Nuts:

Parking at Fenway is as "cheap" at $25.00 and as expensive as $90.00. Beers aren't $8.75 - but they are close enough. A grandstand seat costs $45.00. The Red Sox front office deserves to give it's fans their money's worth. Period.

PFSIKH, it's not like your team doesn't spend the money...sounds to me like you Red Sux fans are starting to feel the heat.

The bottom line is the Yankees work within the system and they have an owner who is not afraid to spend his money. If MLB doesn't like the present system in place, then by all means the owners and players should get together and change it.

Personally, as a Yankees fan, if they want to spend millions to put a competitive team on the field each and every year I'm all for it. If fans from other teams don't like it, tough ****.

Remember that old saying, "whoever has the most toys wins"...in this case, the Yanks have the money to buy the toys.:cheers:

We're the Yanks and you're not...case closed.:Nuts:

JFF :rolleyes:

Good to see you had a well thought out post. In typical Skank fan not seeing the forest for the trees, I said I know the Sox have an advantage and used the same system.

For the record, it is not his money. It is the YES network money that he spends. George has not spent a dime out of Georgie's Bank of Florida account since the 70s.

JFF :rolleyes:

Good to see you had a well thought out post. In typical Skank fan not seeing the forest for the trees, I said I know the Sox have an advantage and used the same system.

For the record, it is not his money. It is the YES network money that he spends. George has not spent a dime out of Georgie's Bank of Florida account since the 70s.

PFSIKH...maybe you can relate this way. You're in the military. Let's just say the good ole USA decides not to spend billions of dollars to keep its defense budget going because 2nd and 3rd world countries say it's not fair for the US to spend this kind of money because they can't keep up.

Like anything else since the beginning of time, it's a dog eat dog world no matter what the topic is and the last one standing wins. It's always been that way and will never end unless world leaders come to some kind of agreement...same goes for baseball. Until the minds that be that control how spending is to be done, that is the way it will continue to be. And you know what, teams like Oakland, KC, Tama Bay, etc., will never complain about Yankee spending because thanks to the Yanks putting out a group of All Stars every night, these teams have sell outs...you don't hear the owners of other teams complaining...just the fans.

The yankees are one of the only teams who are not afraid to put money BACK into the team. Yes, they spend a lot of money, but thats what happens when you have been dominant for the greater side of a century. People tend to follow winners, thus spending money on apparrel, tickets, beers, peanuts, cable packages, posters, autographs, baseball cards . . . .

Mr. Steinbrenner is a genius and make most of his money with other avenues. He will put back the money that the fans give him, back into the team to give us the best possible chance of winning.

Yes, he has made some bad decisions in his day, but like someone said before, he will never settle for a wild card season, or a season that just ends with improvement. He is not happy unless the NY Yankees are the best in baseball . . . period!

Im glad he is the owner of the team I love!

PFSIKH...maybe you can relate this way. You're in the military. Let's just say the good ole USA decides not to spend billions of dollars to keep its defense budget going because 2nd and 3rd world countries say it's not fair for the US to spend this kind of money because they can't keep up.

Like anything else since the beginning of time, it's a dog eat dog world no matter what the topic is and the last one standing wins. It's always been that way and will never end unless world leaders come to some kind of agreement...same goes for baseball. Until the minds that be that control how spending is to be done, that is the way it will continue to be. And you know what, teams like Oakland, KC, Tama Bay, etc., will never complain about Yankee spending because thanks to the Yanks putting out a group of All Stars every night, these teams have sell outs...you don't hear the owners of other teams complaining...just the fans.

JFF So you are saying it is about the money? ;)

My contention has and always will be it is about the money. MLB is exactly like any professional soccer league outside the U.S. of A. There are haves a gooey middle and have nots. Have nots discover talent. Talent wants pay day, have nots sell to haves. I get it know it and preach it.

ox

Is it all clicks and whistles?

It is easy to put money back into the team when it is not your money. George does not spend a dime on this team. The revenue generated from tickets, uniforms and TV is put back into the team.

Stop tonguing making him to be some benevolent owner. You are lucky he is not like Cubbie ownership, but he does not open his checkbook. He opens the team one.

The Red Sox have NESN, outrageously priced tickets and merchandise, a PR money making machine that won't stop, a restaurant and bar (called Game On!) and have been purchasing lots and buildings around Fenway in hopes of expanding and constructing a Fenway living community - condos, shops, etc. Please....yes, the Yankees spend money that may not come out of George's pocket, per se, but either do the Sox really.

Lets call it what it is: Theo wants to make his legacy (note to Theo: you already did! They won the frickin' WS after 86 years!) with his farm system. That is why he did not pull the trigger on the Jones trade. There was no pitching out there to be had (and sorry, Yankee fans, but Yankee pitching isn't all that either - better than the Sox? Yes, for now) so get more offense! Imagine pitchers facing this order in the line-up: Ortiz, Ramirez, Jones, Wily-Mo. Man, that would have been sweet!

That said, the Sox are currently one game out of first. They are in the hunt for two positions: Division champ or wildcard. The Yankees have a one game lead. They are inthe hunt for two positions. Division champ or wildcard. What else is new? :)

My contention has and always will be it is about the money. MLB is exactly like any professional soccer league outside the U.S. of A. There are haves a gooey middle and have nots. Have nots discover talent. Talent wants pay day, have nots sell to haves. I get it know it and preach it.

ox

It is easy to put money back into the team when it is not your money. George does not spend a dime on this team. The revenue generated from tickets, uniforms and TV is put back into the team.

Stop tonguing making him to be some benevolent owner. You are lucky he is not like Cubbie ownership, but he does not open his checkbook. He opens the team one.

It's not entirely about the money. Any fool (and I'm not calling you a fool...:eek: ) can see having money to purchase players gives you an advantage to being a competitive team. It's not all about the money is the bottom line. If it were, big money teams would be winning the big pot at the end of each season.

YOU YHers have to make up your minds. WHich would you prefer-

1. Steinbrenner taking his YES money and jamming it in his pockets(like the Pirates, Royals and Reds now do with his revenue-sharing money); or

2. What he does now, which is spend said cash on his team.

Cannot knock him for both; that's the choice. And as a fan I like that he's chosen #2. It's not clear who ever comes after him will do the same.

And what really pisses off the Pirates, Royals, et al, is that he won't be giving them nearly as much over the next few years since the rules allow him to use such money to build the new stadium. The Mets are following suit, and if the Sawx fans woke up to reality instead of writing poems to that sh!thole, they'd be doing the same thing. Because that extra million fans could be very lucrative.

YOU YHers have to make up your minds. WHich would you prefer-

1. Steinbrenner taking his YES money and jamming it in his pockets(like the Pirates, Royals and Reds now do with his revenue-sharing money); or

2. What he does now, which is spend said cash on his team.

Cannot knock him for both; that's the choice. And as a fan I like that he's chosen #2. It's not clear who ever comes after him will do the same.

And what really pisses off the Pirates, Royals, et al, is that he won't be giving them nearly as much over the next few years since the rules allow him to use such money to build the new stadium. The Mets are following suit, and if the Sawx fans woke up to reality instead of writing poems to that sh!thole, they'd be doing the same thing. Because that extra million fans could be very lucrative.

I'll take door number 2. Any fan from another team who wouldn't want the owner spending money to make their team competitive is lying.

Steinbrenner spends the money. He also is a marketing genious who has figured out new ways to boost revenue (YES), that have been copied by other teams. But he still puts the dollars back into the team, making them more successful, or at the very least, keeping them on top of the heap. This results in more interest in the Yankees, and keeps more $$$$$$$$ rolling in. And this new money is also spend on the team.

While I feel sorry for teams that do not spend the money, I have a tough time with owners who have the dough, but refuse to spend (Glass in KC, Polard in Minny, etc.). These guys do not even spend everything that they receive from revenue sharing.

ox

I hate to break it to you, but the team checkbook is his, he owns it. Therefore anymoney that the team brings in is for Steinbrenner to do what he will with it. This owner is in the minority where he will put the money that comes into the franchise, back into the franchise instead of his own greedy pockets . . . ie Marlins, Dodgers (until recently) . . .

this owner has his priorities straight, and just because it hasnt happened in 6 years, doesn't mean he didnt put his team in a position for the WS.

and yes, he is a marketing GENIUS!

Somebody said it earlier and hit the nail on the head. If it was all about the money, the Yankees would win the WS every year. You have to be able to evaluate the players you're bringing in and make sure they compliment the rest of the roster thats in place. That is what the Yanks haven't done over the past few years and thats why there have been no rings. The Yankees have definitely paid too much for players that were past their prime and or hadn't proven themselves in the AL (RJ and Pavano come to mind). You can spend 500 million dollars but if you dont spend it right, you're going to get beat by a team who spends fifty or sixty million the right way. I personally didnt care for the addition of Abreu but if he's only 2.5 mil this season I'm okay with it. Bringing in Lidle is the bigger move IMO. That no. 5 spot had to be solidified and he does that. I hope the Yanks decline Sheff, and Abreus riddiculous contracts for next year and go to battle with Matsui, Damon, and Melky in the OF.

Archived