Salary Cap in MLB

Alk

I'm sure this has been discussed a million times but I'm just starting to attempt to get into baseball. Do you guys think there should be a salary cap in baseball? Seeing that my home team is the Royals, I obviously think there should be some sort of cap but all of you people in Boston and New York probably disagree.

There should be a salary floor before there should be a cap.

Agreed.Unless you can promise that the cellar dwellers actually spend their money on their teams at the same level as the big boys, it's a nonstarter. There have been and will always be haves and havenots in baseball. But when the owners of the Reds, Pirates and Royals shove the revenue sharing cash with both hands rather than spend it on talents, its' never going to happen.

Simple question-can anyone explain the business plan of the Pirates?They sign bizzare free agents like Raul Mondesi and Hernandez ratehr than brining up youngsters; they give up on an arm like Oliver Perez;they make trades for dregs guys like Shawn Chacon(who was basically about to get cut) for useful players; they get a new stadium, and then go into costcutting.The money the Yankees, Sawx, Mets, Angels and Dodgers have allows them to make more mistakes. But if you're smart and well-run, you can compete from year-to-year, like the Twins, Braves and A's. The Pirates are not only at a cash disadvantage, but are badly mismanaged.

Yes, everyone hates the Yankees. So much so that when interleague series come out every year, the National League teams want the Yankees to sell out their stadium for 3 days rather than going to the Bronx.

Doesn't matter. There won't be one. But without it, as things stand now, the sport is mostly stupid & pointless.

How can you have one team with a payroll of $200 million and another with a payroll of $15M and still call the games "competition"?

Four of the top 5 win totals are from teams who are also top-5 in payroll (NYY, Bos, ChW, NYM)

Each of the bottom 7 teams in payroll has a losing record (Fla, TB, Col, Pit, KC, Mil, Cle).

The Yanks? They lose two major players like Matsui & Sheffield & guess what. They're still fielding a team with a $175M payroll. The top seven salaries remaining on the field would still eclipse every other team's complete roster. Just their top-5 salaries alone would be the 4th highest payroll in the league. And they've got ANOTHER $97M in payroll beyond those 5.

I'm not even a Yankee hater. I don't follow baseball so I couldn't care less. I was at a NYY/Bos game in Fenway last year & was rooting for NY all the way. But the sport is completely stupid when you have a team like the Yankees with like 8 or 9 players whose INDIVIDUAL salaries rivals or exceeds that of an entire team's roster. Florida's team has 2 players with a salary over $800K; Detroit has 15; the NYY have 23.

It would be like awarding an NFL franchise to Kent State. Then allow the most profitable teams to spend whatever they want. And then proceeding with the season as though there was any point to it all. How a fan of a team with a $200M payroll could claim bragging rights over a team with half or a third of that, let alone one with 10x less, is beyond me.

Baseball is a mess. We can't fix it. Just root for the Yankees and call it a day.

It's clearly getting better though. Teams that are getting the revenue sharing are able to resign their best players and as a result less good players are hitting the open market then in years past.

It's clearly getting better though. Teams that are getting the revenue sharing are able to resign their best players and as a result less good players are hitting the open market then in years past.

Except for teams like the Marlins,Pirates,Royals and D-Rays who refuse to put the shared revenue into their ballclubs. I don't know for sure how much each small market club gets,but $323 million in total was doled out this year. Your telling me the Marlins couldn't afford to spend more than $15 million???

Simple question-can anyone explain the business plan of the Pirates?They sign bizzare free agents like Raul Mondesi and Hernandez ratehr than brining up youngsters; they give up on an arm like Oliver Perez;they make trades for dregs guys like Shawn Chacon(who was basically about to get cut) for useful players; they get a new stadium, and then go into costcutting.The money the Yankees, Sawx, Mets, Angels and Dodgers have allows them to make more mistakes. But if you're smart and well-run, you can compete from year-to-year, like the Twins, Braves and A's. The Pirates are not only at a cash disadvantage, but are badly mismanaged.

The Pirates have one of the worst, if not the worst owner in the game. On top of that we don't have a very good GM, who is made even worse by the owner. He said he wouldn't buy the team unless there was a new stadium that allowed money to be made to put out a competative team. He was the only one that would have kept the team in Pittsburgh, so they were pretty much stuck. Then after PNC was built, and even though the team makes decent money, that money isn't put back into the team like it should. Instead it goes to a ****ing ski resort.

There's no way we can get the good FAs because first of all, we won't outbid anyone and second of all, they don't want to come here to a loser team, so we're stuck getting guys like Burnitz, Mondesi, etc. Why we even waste money and playing time on them is another question. When you're 20 games out of contention, there's no reason why Burnitz should be starting in RF over McClouth or Bautista other than to give them a day off.

I can see why they traded Craig Wilson, cause he wasn't going to be here at the end of the year anyway. Same for the others that were traded. I don't see why they traded for Chacon though. It doesn't help us now to get an upgrade(maybe) at our #5 starter. We could have just plugged in Victor Santos there like we did earlier in the year and get a prospect in return. I can't see how there wasn't anything else on the table for a hitter like Craig. Chacon pitched a decent game today though, hopefully he makes it a habit.

I don't really have a problem with them giving up on Oli. He hasn't been consistant at all and has lost a lot of his velocity. For some reason, he couldn't get it done here, I don't know if its him or our coaching though. The mets will probably have better luck with him. He's got the stuff to be a dominant pitcher though if he ever puts it together again.

Except for teams like the Marlins,Pirates,Royals and D-Rays who refuse to put the shared revenue into their ballclubs. I don't know for sure how much each small market club gets,but $323 million in total was doled out this year. Your telling me the Marlins couldn't afford to spend more than $15 million???

The shared revenue does nothing for them. It is divided between the bottom 15 or so teams. I think the Royals get like 30 million.

Which does nothing for them. The Royals generate 40-50 million. The Yankees generate 300-400 million.

The CBA was a step in the right direction but not the answer.

Agreed.Unless you can promise that the cellar dwellers actually spend their money on their teams at the same level as the big boys, it's a nonstarter. There have been and will always be haves and havenots in baseball. But when the owners of the Reds, Pirates and Royals shove the revenue sharing cash with both hands rather than spend it on talents, its' never going to happen.

Yes, everyone hates the Yankees. So much so that when interleague series come out every year, the National League teams want the Yankees to sell out their stadium for 3 days rather than going to the Bronx.

Well thought out post. Good argument.

I am all in favor of a salary cap, and at a figure that would be significantly below the yankees current salry total. Maybe somewhere in the 130-140 million range. But I want a floor also, and not at 30 million. Somewhere in the 75-80 million range.

The shared revenue does nothing for them. It is divided between the bottom 15 or so teams. I think the Royals get like 30 million.

Which does nothing for them. The Royals generate 40-50 million. The Yankees generate 300-400 million.

The CBA was a step in the right direction but not the answer.

The Royals are also owned by one of the richest men in America. True, he would lose money if he spent it on his team, since he does not generate the revenues of the Major Markets. But Oakland is the answer to every franchise who claims they can't compete. And they are not owned by a Billionaire.

KC has drawn well when they fielded a solid team. Spend some of the money he earnes via revenue sharing, and some of his own, and field a decent team, not one that no fan outside of the immediate area can recognize.

The Royals are also owned by one of the richest men in America. True, he would lose money if he spent it on his team, since he does not generate the revenues of the Major Markets. But Oakland is the answer to every franchise who claims they can't compete. And they are not owned by a Billionaire.

KC has drawn well when they fielded a solid team. Spend some of the money he earnes via revenue sharing, and some of his own, and field a decent team, not one that no fan outside of the immediate area can recognize.

He did not become rich by being stupid either.

If the answer is to have an owner subsidize his team, there are going to be about 20 less owners in the league.

It is a buisniess. The romantic days when owners used their own money for the success or failure of their teams are long gone. What compelling reason does David Glass have to use his money? None. He can put out a crappy team and turn a profit. He also can get 17-20K every night in his antiquated park with this crappy team.

The revenue sharing does not make any dent whatsoever. For every Oakland and Minnesota success story, there are Pittsburgh, Royals, Milwaukee, Cincinnati or Tampa Bay were it does not work. They could take the alternative route and build for a shot and then have a fire sale like Florida. For all the success Oakland and Minnesota has had, they still have no more hardware then the Royals over the same span.

Like I said, these are smart men, they know the inner workings of baseball, so Glass knows or has a damm good idea how much George earns. He knows that the revenue sharing and anything short of a quarter billion dollars of his money is not going to win him a championship. I bet George is pissed the 200 million his team cost last year did not get a championship. Now, if that actually came out of his pocket, I bet the Yanke payroll would be a lot lower.

Again, if the answer, and it is not a good or viable one, is for the owners to foot the bill to be competitve, the league needs to do one of two things.

Contract all the non-competitive teams. It would probably end up like the pre-expansion era MLB with two leagues of 8.

Or, the top 10 richest need to buy out the bottom 20. Make it like or similar to MLS single entity structure. Have a 75/25 earning ratio (my proposed figure). Granted, baseball would actually have to open the books, but that is for another day. For instance, if the Yankees generated 500 million dollars, they would pay 125 million to the pool to fund the bottom 20. Which is twice what they pay now. If the Sox and Mets generated 400 million, 100 goes to the pool. So on and so forth for the next 7 richest teams. Pool this money into a central fund and have the league divide the money up to subsidize the bottom 20 or less depending on if you contract teams. Make it the big clubs rooting interest for the bottom teams to be good and make money so in turn they can get kickbacks if not all money is needed.

I thnk we can all agree the current system is flawed. George was smart to abstain from the vote. When it blows up eventually, he can say I did not vote for that crap.

Archived