Big Ben throwing with authority

StillerPaul

By Mike Prisuta

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Thursday, August 3, 2006

Ben Roethlisberger says he's continuing to progress at training camp, and the zip on his ball confirms it.

Roethlisberger cut loose Wednesday morning and delivered a couple of balls with plenty of mustard toward wide receivers Quincy Morgan and Hines Ward. The ball for Morgan was intercepted by strong safety Troy Polamalu, the fourth time Roethlisberger has been picked off in 7-on-7 or 11-on-11 drills, but he nonetheless emerged from yesterday morning's session encouraged.

"Just like any other camp, the first couple days you get into it and then you start to let it loose," Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger continued airing it out during last night's practice at Memorial Stadium in Latrobe, scrambling out of the pocket and firing downfield when opportunities presented themselves.

He finished 4 for 6 in 7-on-7 work, including a big gainer on a deep seam route rifled to Morgan.

In 11-on-11 and "red zone" action, Roethlisberger was 7 for 10 with one "sack." His final attempt was a roll-right, throw-left attempt to hit wide receiver Nate Washington in the end zone. Roethlisberger reacted to the near miss by kicking at the ground and letting out and exasperated yell.

Yesterday morning at St. Vincent College, Roethlisberger went 5 for 8 in a 7-on-7 "red zone" drill and narrowly missed his first TD pass of training camp.

Operating from the 20-yard line, Roethlisberger hit Morgan for 19 yards on an out route, but Morgan was unable to stretch the ball into the end zone before going out of bounds.

In 11-on-11 work, Roethlisberger went 2 for 3. What would have been another completion was negated by a false start against offensive tackle Max Starks. Roethlisberger's lone miss was an overthrow to tight end Heath Miller on a seam route off play-action.

"I feel like it's really coming along fast," Roethlisberger said.

He's also past the point of worrying about a potential bout with "dead arm" from throwing so often at the outset of camp.

"With my arm, if it was going to get sore, it would have gotten sore after the first couple days of throwing," Roethlisberger said. "It's been really good so far. I've been doing a lot of pool work after practices, swimming laps and stuff, which really helps kind of rehab it and keep it strong and going.

"That's probably the biggest thing that's kept my shoulder and my elbow going strong."

Mike Prisuta can be reached at mprisuta@tribweb.com.

He should get his share of pre-season snaps IMO.

:cheers:

"With my arm, if it was going to get sore, it would have gotten sore after the first couple days of throwing," Roethlisberger said. "It's been really good so far. I've been doing a lot of pool work after practices, swimming laps and stuff, which really helps kind of rehab it and keep it strong and going.

WTF, how the hell does a QB have a sore arm when he only throws 10 passes a game?:eek:

Archived