Cy Young Award theif out for season

Blackout

The guy who stole Mariano's Cy Young in 2005 is out for the year:

Rotator cuff problem could end season for ColonAssociated Press

Colon

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The injury-plagued season of Los Angeles Angels right-hander Bartolo Colon took another hit on Friday when last year's AL Cy Young Award winner learned he has a rotator cuff problem that could possibly end his 2006 campaign.

The 33-year-old Colon was examined by team doctor Lewis Yocum at the Kerlan-Jobe Clinic in Los Angeles and underwent a contrast MRI on his shoulder, which revealed a partial thickness tear of the rotator cuff. He will begin an aggressive rehab program, but there is no timetable regarding when he would be able to pitch again.

Colon has made only 10 starts and is 1-5 with a 5.11 ERA. According to general manager Bill Stoneman, surgery was not mentioned during his conversation with Yocum.

"It's tough news," manager Mike Scioscia said. "Understandably, we know what Bart has meant to our club and to our rotation the last couple of years. It certainly explains a lot of the issues he's been having."

The 10-year veteran, who was on the disabled list only once before this season, was on the DL from April 19 to June 17 with inflammation in his right shoulder. He went on it again recently with tendinitis in his triceps.

"I haven't gotten any formal direction from the medical department yet, but we'll talk and they'll have an assessment," Scioscia said. "I know those things take some time. I would assume it's going to be lengthy. And with about seven weeks left in the season, it would seem doubtful that he's going to return. It would be a tall order for him to come back and pitch this season."

Colon was 21-8 with a 3.48 ERA in 33 starts last year, helping the Angels win their second straight AL West title. His lone win this season was a four-hitter in a 4-0 decision at Seattle on July 5, when he recorded his eighth career shutout and 31st complete game without walking a batter.

Colon's last outing was on July 27 at Tampa Bay, when a sore elbow forced him out after just one inning in which he allowed home runs by Rocco Baldelli and Ty Wigginton. He went on the disabled list on July 30.

"He hasn't really been at the level all season that we had hoped he would be," Scioscia said. "In this game you have no other recourse but to be prepared as much as you can for whatever happens. But we did not expect this, obviously. He had no elbow pain and his shoulder was bothering him a little bit, but this is something that needs more attention."

Colon's health problems were the primary reason Stoneman didn't trade any of his starting pitchers for another bat to put in the middle of the Angels' vulnerable lineup.

"Before we got to the deadline and it became evident that Bart was going to miss some starts -- and ultimately was DL'ed -- that impacted our thinking in terms of whether we could really afford to move a starting pitcher," Stoneman said. "We examined what we are philosophically and what we want to be, and that's a club that takes care of pitching -- No. 1. We've designed ourselves around pitching."

Rookie left-hander Joe Saunders, who is 2-0 with a 1.93 ERA, beat Oakland 3-2 on Tuesday night while taking Colon's turn in the rotation.

"Missing a guy of Bart's quality hurts," Stoneman said. "But there's a plus side to it. The plus is that we've got a Joe Saunders, who's already stepped up and won a couple of games in the major leagues."

The only reason this mediocre whale won the CY last year ....

Yankee hating scum in the media

Which is also why arguably this generations most dominant {legit} player has never won the CY or MVP

Which is also why these unprofessional circus clowns should play no part in the voting process

If not for that, Mariano {i.e. first ballot HOF lock} would have at least one CY and one MVP in the bank

The only reason this mediocre whale won the CY last year ....

Yankee hating scum in the media

Which is also why arguably this generations most dominant player has never won the CY or MVP

Which is also why these unprofessional circus clowns should play no part in the voting process

If not for that, Mariano {i.e. first ballot HOF lock} would have at least one CY and one MVP in the bank

If that was the only reason, then A-Rod wouldn't have won the MVP last year.

If that was the only reason, then A-Rod wouldn't have won the MVP last year.

I said it last year and I'll say it again, Sharrow ... I think the Anti-Yankee contingent almost felt shamed into voting for Arod after they DID NOT cast a ballot for Mariano ... a liken Arod's MVP to a "Make-up Call" ... You know, when an official badly blows a call, AND HE KNOWS IT, then feels compelled to Give the next close call to the other team

I also said the following at the time, Sharrow ... I would not have said one peep if the writters had chosen Ortiz over Arod last year ... NOT A PEEP ... it was a close call and I was prepared to congratulate Ortiz if he won, with no hard feelings and no grips about Anti-Yankee bias

BUT ...

Its a disgrace that one of this Generations most dominant players, the player who is most responsible for a recent dynasty {Sorry DJ}, and a player who is a sure-fire first ballot hall of famer, has never won either of the major awards in baseball {CY/MVP}, and when the writters had a perfect opportunity to correct that slight in 2005, with no dominant SP to consider {and Colon was NOT dominant}, they chose not too

And here's the kicker .. if you look at his 2005 numbers, Mo arguably had his most dominant season

I felt that vote was a disgrace when it happened and I feel the same today

Just to be clear about this, why I feel its such a disgrace that the writters had a perfect opportunity to tag this player with a CY on his resume and chose not too ...

Too me there are two levels of HOF Players ... HOF'ers and ELITE HOF'ers

The elite HOF'ers are the All-Time Greats ...

Ruth, Gerhig, Mantle, Dimaggio, Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Willie Mays, Sandy Koufax, etc

I'm talking about the HOF'ers who probably should have a separate wing in the HOF

IMO Mariano Rivera is in THAT GROUP ...

I wouldn't Give him a Plack at Yankee Stadium, I'd Give him a Monument, and I know what that means

RUTH, GERHIG, DIMAGGIO, MANTLE and MARIANO

In the vaunted history of the NY Yankees, with a slew of HOF'ers, that is my MOUNT RUSHMORE

Those are my only PLAYER MONUMENTS

Therefore I think its a disgrace that "THIS PLAYER" will never have a MAJOR AWARD tagged to his resume when all is said & done, CY and/or MVP ... all of the ELITE HOF'ers have those awards attached to their resumes to the best of my knowledge, and this player {BEING AN ELITE} should have one too

The writters had a perfect opportunity to rectify that omission in 2005 and it would have been legit, there was no dominant SP to stop them and Mo had perhaps his best season ever {statistically}, but these bumbling idiots chose not too

Not this BS again.

ARod wins last seasons MVP over a player who many feel had the better season and was more valuable to his team ,yet we are to believe that there is a conspiracy against Yankee players when it comes to awards.

We need the Yanks to lose 2 in a row so Ham goes back into hibernation until Sheff and Matsui return.

Wonder if Ham's opinion on a reliever winning a MVP would change if Papelbon won it. By the way Colon went 16-4 in his last 20 decisions last year.

I wouldn't Give him a Plack at Yankee Stadium, I'd Give him a Monument, and I know what that means

RUTH, GERHIG, DIMAGGIO, MANTLE and MARIANO

It would mean he's dead. They don't give you a monument until you pass away. That's why Mantle and Dimaggio had plaques until the '90s.

Mariano didn't win the Cy Young because of bias in the media, but it was bias against relievers, not against the Yankees. Ortiz didn't win it because of bias against DHs, but at least there is some legitimacy to that argument.

It would mean he's dead. They don't give you a monument until you pass away. That's why Mantle and Dimaggio had plaques until the '90s.

Mariano didn't win the Cy Young because of bias in the media, but it was bias against relievers, not against the Yankees. Ortiz didn't win it because of bias against DHs, but at least there is some legitimacy to that argument.

What will be your argument if papelbon wins the Rookie of the Year award this year over Loriano and/or Verlander?

What will be your argument if papelbon wins the Rookie of the Year award this year over Loriano and/or Verlander?

Bias is not impossible to overcome. Besides, that's still an "if." The Cy Young usually goes to starters. I think the press feels relievers are traditionally less valuable and have their own reward. The V in MVP means they are less likely to consider DHs. ROY is more likely to go to the best rookie at his position.

You honestly believe it was because the media hates the Yankees? Even the biggest Yankee haters have immense respect for Mariano.

Bias is not impossible to overcome. Besides, that's still an "if." The Cy Young usually goes to starters. I think the press feels relievers are traditionally less valuable and have their own reward. The V in MVP means they are less likely to consider DHs. ROY is more likely to go to the best rookie at his position.

You honestly believe it was because the media hates the Yankees? Even the biggest Yankee haters have immense respect for Mariano.

So how come the best relief pitcher, possibly in the history of the game, has never won an award of any kind?

But you can't convince me that he was not the Cy Young ever????

How many relief pitchers EVER won the Cy Young? In the past 20 years Gagne, Eckersley and Bedrosian. Mike Marshall, Sutter & Rollie Fingers. Oh and Mark Davis. That's it. Ever. Maybe I missed one, but I had to look it up. That's how I found Mark Davis. Mo never put up his huge save years (over 50) with super low (under 2) ERA. Did he deserve the Cy Young? Sure. Am I surprised he never got one? No. He probably also deserved to win more than one MVP too.

Without Rivera Joe Torre would have been fired as manager years ago. If Rivera gets hurt he wets his pants.

How many relief pitchers EVER won the Cy Young? In the past 20 years Gagne, Eckersley and Bedrosian. Mike Marshall, Sutter & Rollie Fingers. Oh and Mark Davis. That's it. Ever. Maybe I missed one, but I had to look it up. That's how I found Mark Davis. Mo never put up his huge save years (over 50) with super low (under 2) ERA. Did he deserve the Cy Young? Sure. Am I surprised he never got one? No. He probably also deserved to win more than one MVP too.

Without Rivera Joe Torre would have been fired as manager years ago. If Rivera gets hurt he wets his pants.

A reliever as Cy Young is a hard pill to swallow in my book. Appearing in 80-85 innings is hard to qualify against someone pitching in over 200 innings.

Relievers have some inherent advantages that help elevate their statistics to starting pitchers, as well as the stint itself allows them to have bursts of performance that a starting pitcher does not get.

The whole save thing is over-rated in many principles, and a reliever is just tough to measure against the general field.

I said it last year and I'll say it again, Sharrow ... I think the Anti-Yankee contingent almost felt shamed into voting for Arod after they DID NOT cast a ballot for Mariano ... a liken Arod's MVP to a "Make-up Call" ... You know, when an official badly blows a call, AND HE KNOWS IT, then feels compelled to Give the next close call to the other team

I also said the following at the time, Sharrow ... I would not have said one peep if the writters had chosen Ortiz over Arod last year ... NOT A PEEP ... it was a close call and I was prepared to congratulate Ortiz if he won, with no hard feelings and no grips about Anti-Yankee bias

BUT ...

Its a disgrace that one of this Generations most dominant players, the player who is most responsible for a recent dynasty {Sorry DJ}, and a player who is a sure-fire first ballot hall of famer, has never won either of the major awards in baseball {CY/MVP}, and when the writters had a perfect opportunity to correct that slight in 2005, with no dominant SP to consider {and Colon was NOT dominant}, they chose not too

And here's the kicker .. if you look at his 2005 numbers, Mo arguably had his most dominant season

I felt that vote was a disgrace when it happened and I feel the same today

pplease. I'm laughing right now cause this whole conspiracy theory is absolutely ridiculous. Half the media spends their time kissing the yanks asses. You ever noticed how 70% of ESPN baseball telecasts are yankee games?

Boo f'n hoo. Mariano had a great season. So did Colon. Colon won the award. If there was true bias against the yanks, A-rod would have never won the award. No sports writer feels shamed into voting for anyone.

pplease. I'm laughing right now cause this whole conspiracy theory is absolutely ridiculous. Half the media spends their time kissing the yanks asses. You ever noticed how 70% of ESPN baseball telecasts are yankee games?

Because more people want to watch them and TV is about ratings. Not that I think there is a conspiracy against the Yanks, but people that hate you will put you on TV to make $$.

The problem isn't a bias against Yankees players it is the old sports writers who still think it is 1955.

Ortiz should have won the MVP last year. Mariano should have won 1 or 2 Cy Youngs by now.

Those old pricks are living in the past. The game has changed. They haven't.

LOL....please do Blackout.:)

i couldn't begin to defend writers voting for Joe Gordon over Ted Williams

unless he had jeter-like intangibles and ted williams was a terrel owens like team mate that year (not the case), theres no explaining it

Archived