Curtis done... Tangini tone deaf

rajensen088

Why didn't Tangini listen to Curtis Martin.... Joesph Addai and Lendell White were both available at pick 29.

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/115495269791450.xml?starledger?spj&coll=1

Before the NFL Draft last April, Jets running back Curtis Martin, his surgically-repaired right knee still bothering him, met with the Jets and told them they should strongly consider selecting a running back high in the draft because of his concern about his ability to play this season, a team official told The Star-Ledger yesterday.

If the article is true and Martin's knee is "bone on bone", at his age...he's done.

My knee is bone on bone, and I'm the same age as he is!

You can play with it. The problem is the consistency day to day.

I do not agree with us being upset about taking a OL at #29. I like the way the draft panned out and I think Blaylock will be fine this year.

I do not agree with us being upset about taking a OL at #29. I like the way the draft panned out and I think Blaylock will be fine this year.

No disrespect aec but my point was that a 33 year old playing in the NFL is done. Not a non-pro athlete. It's hard enough for these guys to play when they're 100%, let alone 33 and bone to bone knee injury.

So you'd rather have a RB but no center? If Teague had gone down and we had drafted a RB - we'd be hearing why didn't we draft Mangold - you can get a RB of the scrap heap talk!!!

Lets relax and see how this plays out.

Thank you, someone with a brain.

Agreed - look at Tomlinson & all of the injuries he's suffer from now, just at camp because of San Diego's week O-line last year.

Mike & Eric did the right thing - even a star could not survive against a weak O-Line

And thats only addressing the running back situation - what else gets destroyed without an OL? Pretty much everything on our side of the LOS.

Including anybody who has potential to get the ball and can't because the play hasn't developed before a scramble, sack, or hurry.

We had to rebuild the offensive line- the way teams win is to control the line of scrimmage- a running back by committee can get the job done until we can a real number one guy

maybe Adrian Peterson will leave for the NFL this year

from what league do you profess this wisdom?

I can almost guarantee that Penny will be the starter which means I can almost guarantee that your passing game will be a dink and dunk which could be an effective "run game" when you may not have an effective, actual run game. It worked for the Pats in 2001 - and Mangini beared witness to it. You work with what you have.

Taking Mangold was absolutely the right thing to do at 29, even if Martin is done , Houston showed some pretty good potential last year. And with him Blaylock and Washington we should be able to manage for a year. Having good runners means nothing if you dont have good blockers.

I can almost guarantee that Penny will be the starter which means I can almost guarantee that your passing game will be a dink and dunk which could be an effective "run game" when you may not have an effective, actual run game. It worked for the Pats in 2001 - and Mangini beared witness to it. You work with what you have.

Funny you said that because that was what they were practicing a lot

of yesterday according to the reports.

I fail to see how a franchise center is less important than a single HB with "potential" & cool combine #'s (Addai) or a HB with potential & a reputation for laziness and/or thug personality (White). One or both may turn into stars. Addai certainly walks into a great situation & it's hard to imagine any RB having trouble putting up #'s on that team. But there have been plenty of late-round/undrafted RB's who do very well behind a top line, high pick RB's who do poorly behind a poor line, and high-pick RB's who do poorly or turn out to be injury-prone behind a decent line.

Not needing a starting center for so long (and the one we had being so good) has spoiled people into thinking they are easily replaced & found. It's much tougher to find one of those than a 1000-yd RB, of which there are 15-20 of every year. There are also teams without a single runner with stellar totals but who had an effective ground-game (Den, Miami, Hou, Jax).

Also, you have to wonder about Herm trotting Curtis out on the field week after week knowing he was hurt. I'm not a doctor, but I would think that would make a bad injury worse.

So in one year...he rushed Chad back, and kept pounding Martin for 10 weeks on a bum leg. This is why I don't like players' coaches. They try to appease their players or let them talk them into letting them play when they probably shouldn't.

Also, you have to wonder about Herm trotting Curtis out on the field week after week knowing he was hurt. I'm not a doctor, but I would think that would make a bad injury worse.

So in one year...he rushed Chad back, and kept pounding Martin for 10 weeks on a bum leg. This is why I don't like players' coaches. They try to appease their players or let them talk them into letting them play when they probably shouldn't.

yeah but at least he could manage the clock & out think the other coaches on gameday ;)

seriously good post ks. you are spot on.

good point garb. it's gonna be painful for me to watch dink & dunk ball but it's what will most likely work the best .

If you are going to be pissed about the 29th pick, then be pissed that we passed up the best receiver in the draft, a guy that in-turn, was drafted by our division rival. Don't be pissed that we missed out on the joys of having a fat running back with little to no work ethic.

Jets | Martin's future uncertain

Mon, 7 Aug 2006 14:54:41 -0700

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl">New York Jets RB Curtis Martin (knee) recommended to the team before the NFL Draft that they should strongly consider taking a back high in the draft because of his concern over his ability to play in 2006. Martin had arthroscopic knee surgery in December to clean out his knee, but it has not responded well. With the team entering the second week of training camp, there is growing concern that his career may be in jeopardy. If Martin is able to play in 2006, it is unlikely he will be ready to go at the start of the season. Martin, who has had surgery on his right knee the past two seasons, remains on the team's PUP list. It is believed a great deal of the cartilage in his knee is gone, which is what is giving Martin problems. One team official said he's dealing with "bone on bone" in his knee.

Jets | Interested in Bears' Jones?

Mon, 7 Aug 2006 14:53:46 -0700

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl">New York Jets have quietly been making phone calls around the league checking on the availability of running backs. Chicago Bears RB Thomas Jones is one of the backs on their radar.

Jets | Interested in Titans' Brown?

Mon, 7 Aug 2006 14:53:16 -0700

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl">New York Jets have quietly been making phone calls around the league checking on the availability of running backs. Tennessee Titans RB Chris Brown is one of the backs on their radar.

:Typotux:

Think Tuna would deal us Jones or Barber depending on who loses that battle? Or am I thinking out loud stupidly?

That right there would be a dream scenario. To add a young back that has already flashed the potential to be a franchise back would be the best move of the Mangini era.

Thomas Jones is already 28, pass.

Chris Brown cant convert a 3rd and 1 to save his life, pass.

If these are our only options, just stick it out with Ced and Leon and hope we suck enough to get Adrian Peterson in the draft. Half kidding on that, but still, Jones or Brown are not the answer.

Why didn't Tangini listen to Curtis Martin.... Joesph Addai and Lendell White were both available at pick 29.

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/115495269791450.xml?starledger?spj&coll=1

Before the NFL Draft last April, Jets running back Curtis Martin, his surgically-repaired right knee still bothering him, met with the Jets and told them they should strongly consider selecting a running back high in the draft because of his concern about his ability to play this season, a team official told The Star-Ledger yesterday.

ive been saying this since the draft this charecter crap has gone too far,

I believe that the Jets felt they had a draft day deal worked out with the Cowboys for Julius Jones. It all hinged on Dallas being able to draft his replacement in the second round (probably Lendale White). Once White was unavailable, the deal fell through and the Jets were left with weak options remaining in the draft. By drafting Washington when they did, they got good value.

Archived