ESPNs Gary Horton on Jets 06

KINGDIRK

Unfortunately he has LOTS of valid (scary) points

Gary Horton: I happened to break down the Jets in the last couple of days on offense. To me, it's scary how bad they could be.

They were 31st in the NFL on offense a year ago and they're not as good in terms of personnel this year.

They have an offensive line in transition that will be good, but not right now.

They have no backup answer for Martin at RB if he's not healthy.

They have no real threats at WR, which means that defenses can load up in the box to stop the running game.

In my opinion, they're going to be the lowest scoring team in the NFL in 2006.

They were also dead last in time of possession, which forces your defense on the field too much, because your offense can't convert third downs.

And, if that weren't bad enough, I don't think their passing game has any type of vertical component to loosen up defenses, which means secondaries can jump routes and tighten up coverages. I know it looks like I'm dumping on the Jets, but I didn't realize how dire the situation appears to be, until I studied them the last couple of days.

I hope I'm wrong because the Jets fans are loyal and great.

Fair points, but I'm not getting wound up about rank or personnel, Martin included(or excluded). Football stats lie, and damn if what any team coached by Herman Edwards in2005 has to do with this year. In 2006 the most optimisitc outlook is 6-8 wins, with a showing of improvement as the year goes on.

He conveniently forgets to mention that the offensive line was in shambles last year with guys going down right, left and center (though Fabini getting hurt was a plus). Even though there will be growing pains with 2 rookies on the line, I am confident that they will begin to gel as the season progresses.

He's also worried about lack of a depth behind Martin?? WTF did Martin do last year?? Nada!

I agree with most of what he said. They are all valid points. However, I remember a Bears team a few years back, whose defense won 4 or 5 games in the very end of the fourth quarter or in o.t. and made it to the playoffs. They had one great linebacker in Urlacher and one great safety which I can't remember his name off the top of my head. With Vilma and Rhodes I think the Jets def. is going to be good. If they can win the turnover ratio this team will compete. If not I don't think our offense can win many games for us either. Thoughts?

I agree with most of what he said. They are all valid points. However, I remember a Bears team a few years back, whose defense won 4 or 5 games in the very end of the fourth quarter or in o.t. and made it to the playoffs. They had one great linebacker in Urlacher and one great safety which I can't remember his name off the top of my head. With Vilma and Rhodes I think the Jets def. is going to be good. If they can win the turnover ratio this team will compete. If not I don't think our offense can win many games for us either. Thoughts?

I think we will have a solid defensem but this offense is going to be horrible. Our defense will be on the field all day long which evetually will catch up with them. I hope the team "stays together" and dont want to see the defense pointing fingers at the crappy O.

How do we have less weapons in the WR then last year? They are the same.

- Chad is healthier

- The o-line will struggle but come through

- Special teams will be better

- Defense will stop the 14 pt first qtr punishment

- RBBC is good enough to win games.

BZ

How do we have less weapons in the WR then last year? They are the same.

- Chad is healthier

- The o-line will struggle but come through

- Special teams will be better

- Defense will stop the 14 pt first qtr punishment

- RBBC is good enough to win games.

BZ

Exactly. They were horrible last year, but how are they worse this year? Pennington is back and apparently healthier than last year. I assume Ramsey will last more than seven snaps. WR is the same. OL is younger, but those guys were hurt. IF Teague comes back they have a little depth. He's right about RB, but Martin was dinged up and basically wobbling around. I'm sure they'll stack the box and it won't be pretty, but worse than last year? Only if he starts Bollinger or signs Vinny T.

The points made are valid but:

1. remember the Detroit Tigers at the beginning of years

2. O line young but healthy-last year all pros but in hospital beds

3. Last year QBs on the sidelines

4. Same WRs but with some young blood

5. kicking game stronger with a year experience

6. Better coaching-both game plan and during game

Team should be better than last year if they stay healthy. Prediction 6 to 8 wins

Unfortunately he has LOTS of valid (scary) points

Gary Horton: I happened to break down the Jets in the last couple of days on offense. To me, it's scary how bad they could be.

They were 31st in the NFL on offense a year ago and they're not as good in terms of personnel this year.

They have an offensive line in transition that will be good, but not right now.

They have no backup answer for Martin at RB if he's not healthy.

They have no real threats at WR, which means that defenses can load up in the box to stop the running game.

In my opinion, they're going to be the lowest scoring team in the NFL in 2006.

They were also dead last in time of possession, which forces your defense on the field too much, because your offense can't convert third downs.

And, if that weren't bad enough, I don't think their passing game has any type of vertical component to loosen up defenses, which means secondaries can jump routes and tighten up coverages. I know it looks like I'm dumping on the Jets, but I didn't realize how dire the situation appears to be, until I studied them the last couple of days.

I hope I'm wrong because the Jets fans are loyal and great.

You guys shouldn't be shocked by this.

It's the exact same thing I have been saying for the last couple months.

The Jets could easily have the worst offense in the entire NFL.

8 wins would mean someone made a deal with the devil. I want them to win as much as the next Jets fan but I think a more realistic win total will be about 4 max. Now if our young oline stays healthy and don't make alot of rookie mistakes I would think we could maybe get six wins. If Leon doesn't pan out to be a starter then we better be looking at f.a. help or high draft pick in a the rb department.

last year's teams was terrible and still won 4 games. while this year's team has lower expextations almost every position on offense is imrpoved over last season. martin was running on 1 leg last year and didn't do a thing, bollywood was a liability, and every position on the offensive line is improved from last season.

defensively, the sencondary should be much improved at every position, barton is back, and the jets added solid depth at LB. the one big hole is the DL where a lot will ride on rerun's ability to play NT. other than the DL every position is improved coming off a 4-12 season. that may not translate to playoffs but the jets should win 6-9 games.

That may be true, but can you stop emailing every columnist telling them about it ;)

I hope the Jets can win 8 games (I'll go to 2 or 3 games) but I just dont expect it. I dont understand this faith in Pennington. How is he healthier? Last year he was coming off 1 surgery, this year hes coming off 2!

I love our young Oline and expect solid play. But they wont become All Pros overnight.

As much criticism as John Abraham got, he was always pressuring the QB. I know the 3-4 can throw lots of people from different places, but its a completely new system (new systems take time to adjust to) and we dont have the main ingredient, a 350 pount NT.

I love our defense. It will be elite within 2 years. But the offense will kill the defense this year. Heres why.

Penny cant throw deep. Period. So defenses can tighten up. Our Oline is young and our main RB is......? Blaylock, Leon Washington? I dont think people realize how spoiled we were with Curtis Martin. We are going to have a huge problem running the football and that means our defense will be on the field all day.

Playmakers on offense? Name one guy on offense that will have opposing defensive coordinators worried? We dont have any.

By Week 8, Kellen Clemens will be our QB.

Strength of schedule is much easier this year, it will help but lumps will undoubtedly accumulate. Mangini is here, primarily as a defensive minded coach. Totally retooling the defense without his own chess pieces will be a mountain of a process.

This team is going to start the year 1-5, possibly 0-6. Shortly thereafter it will be Kellen Clemens time so even games against $hitty teams (Detroit, Clevland, etc) are going to be struggles.

WEEK 1: AT TENN. Why do people assume a win here? On the road, against a team with a coach thats been there for years, a system in place for years, and is at home.

WEEK 2: NEW ENGLAND. Nuff said

WEEK 3: AT BUFF. On the road. We'll split our 2 games with them.

WEEK 4: INDY. lol

WEEK 5: AT Jax. lol

WEEK 6: Miami. lol

Weeks 4,5, and 6 are not going to be pretty.

I hope the Jets can win 8 games (I'll go to 2 or 3 games) but I just dont expect it. I dont understand this faith in Pennington. How is he healthier? Last year he was coming off 1 surgery, this year hes coming off 2!

It's because last year he was coming off a surgery that he had at the end of the season after the playoffs. He was still rehabbing right up to camp and really wasn't supposed to be throwing that much yet. We were hoping he would get healthy as the season went on. This time he had his surgery in October. He had plenty of time to rest and rehab the shoulder. Last year he was never healthy and to be quite honest he'll be healthier than last year after he makes it though his fourth game anyway.

I do not see Clemens staring this year. I haven't heard anything about him looking capable of running the offense right now. To rush him in with a team with no weapons on O and a VERY questionable running game could ruin him. I foresee only mop up duty for Clemens this season.

The Bears won a division title at 13-3 under Dick Jauron who is a proven defensive genius. Their defense allowed the fewest points in the NFL that year, but their offense was midpack better than this years Jet offense, ranked 11.

The Jets lost two Pro Bowl caliber defensive players last year in John Abraham and Ty Law. Win the turnover ratio? Unlikely, under Mangini the Patriots were 31st in defensive turnovers last year. Discipline? Under Mangini the Patriot defense was the 5th most penalized defense in the NFL.

It's because last year he was coming off a surgery that he had at the end of the season after the playoffs. He was still rehabbing right up to camp and really wasn't supposed to be throwing that much yet. We were hoping he would get healthy as the season went on. This time he had his surgery in October. He had plenty of time to rest and rehab the shoulder. Last year he was never healthy and to be quite honest he'll be healthier than last year after he makes it though his fourth game anyway.

I do not see Clemens staring this year. I haven't heard anything about him looking capable of running the offense right now. To rush him in with a team with no weapons on O and a VERY questionable running game could ruin him. I foresee only mop up duty for Clemens this season.

One more thing, the second shoulder injury was very different from the first. With that in mind, and me drinking a ton of this green koolaide lately, you have to figure that chad is almost two years from the first injury and almost a full year from the different and less intense second shoulder injury. That's a lot of heeling time, a lot more than he had last year before Jerk Chicken threw him to the wolves to heal as he played (idiot).

So yes, Chad is improved from last year.

BTW, everyone likes to dis on Chad and his not being able to come back from the shoulder injury but did anyone see what happened to Drew Brees' shoulder in that final (meaningless) regular season game last year. OUCH! Yet, no one sh!ts on Brees and instead all anyone seems to note is that he will be ok and has progressed well (sound familiar). I think Brees has a worse season than Pennington this year, and I know you heard that hear first.

The Bears won a division title at 13-3 under Dick Jauron who is a proven defensive genius. Their defense allowed the fewest points in the NFL that year, but their offense was midpack better than this years Jet offense, ranked 11.

The Jets lost two Pro Bowl caliber defensive players last year in John Abraham and Ty Law. Win the turnover ratio? Unlikely, under Mangini the Patriots were 31st in defensive turnovers last year. Discipline? Under Mangini the Patriot defense was the 5th most penalized defense in the NFL.

You need to stop cutting and pasting everytime you post or at least edit appropriately, it's getting really lame and you're bringing up things no one is even talking about in a thread.:yawn:

Of course we can be shocked by this. This time it's being said by someone who has a smidgeon of credibility...

This team is going to start the year 1-5, possibly 0-6. Shortly thereafter it will be Kellen Clemens time so even games against $hitty teams (Detroit, Clevland, etc) are going to be struggles.

WEEK 1: AT TENN. Why do people assume a win here? On the road, against a team with a coach thats been there for years, a system in place for years, and is at home.

WEEK 2: NEW ENGLAND. Nuff said

WEEK 3: AT BUFF. On the road. We'll split our 2 games with them.

WEEK 4: INDY. lol

WEEK 5: AT Jax. lol

WEEK 6: Miami. lol

Weeks 4,5, and 6 are not going to be pretty.

Clemens will not see the field this year barring injuries to both ramsey and pennington.

The line will improve veterans under center. This is a rebuilding process and kellen isn't the piece that is to be used quite yet.

Clemens will not see the field this year barring injuries to both ramsey and pennington.

The line will improve veterans under center. This is a rebuilding process and kellen isn't the piece that is to be used quite yet.

If the Jets are 2-6 and going nowhere, there is no reason Clemens should not be playing. We would need to get an idea if he is someone we can trust down the road. Because if the Jets ended up in a spot to land a Brady Quinn type prospect in 2007, we dam well better know if we need a QB.

AS FOR THE O-LINE, I agree it will improve, but not right away. The line will play better the 2nd half of the season.

Archived