Chad hurt already?

Ranger

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/442836p-372990c.html

Ouch! Chad takes a hit

Shoulder watch is on

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

777-pennington_chad.JPGChad Pennington scrambles early, but later gets pounded, marking first scare for Gang Groan. TAMPA - Chad Pennington's surgically repaired throwing shoulder is an issue. Again.

On a play hauntingly similar to last Sept. 25, the day he wrecked his shoulder for the second time, the Jets' hard-luck quarterback may have hurt it again last night when his right arm was hit by a blitzing safety in a 16-3 loss to the Bucs at Raymond James Stadium.

Coach Eric Mangini declined to discuss injuries after the game, the preseason opener for both teams, but there were indications that Pennington - in his highly anticipated debut - did something to the shoulder.

After the sack, which resulted in a fumble, Pennington went to the sideline and made at least two dozen warmup throws, with members of the Jets' medical staff watching. It seemed like a curious time for an impromptu bullpen session. Later, sitting on the bench, he flexed his arm a few times, as if trying to test the range of motion.

Afterward, the Jets went to great lengths to shield Pennington from the media. His clothes were removed from his locker, where reporters had gathered, and were brought to him in the trainer's room.

With the team buses waiting for him, Pennington took 45 minutes in the trainer's room before emerging to speak with reporters. Asked if the delay was because he was receiving treatment for an injury, Pennington said, "No, I wasn't getting treatment. I was just kind of looking at the stats and taking my time, to be honest with you."

Something as frivolous as reading a stat sheet wouldn't be a reason for holding up an entire team. Clearly, Pennington was up to something behind closed doors.

Pennington, who didn't appear to have any shoulder wraps or slings under his sport coat, refused to acknowledge he was hurt.

"I did take a few shots . . . but everything worked out fine," he said.

What about the warm-up tosses?

"I just wanted to go ahead and throw and see how it was after I had taken a shot like that, just to make sure everything was fine - and it was," Pennington said.

In his first action since his season-ending shoulder injury, Pennington (9-for-14, 54 yards) played two series, taking at least two hits to the shoulder. The latter came on a safety blitz by Kalvin Pearson, who beat a block by Cedric Houston. Pearson hit Pennington's right arm, and out came the ball.

It was eerily reminiscent to the Paul Spicer hit last Sept. 25, when the Jaguars' defensive end yanked Pennington's arm backward as he prepared to throw. As a result, he required surgery for the second time in eight months.

"Definitely similar, no doubt," Pennington admitted with a nervous laugh.

Pennington was evasive when asked if he expected to be practicing tomorrow when the Jets return to the field. Let the Shoulder Watch begin.

Mangini dodged when he was asked if he was nervous about seeing his presumed starter take a shot to his shoulder.

"If it were any quarterback, I'd feel exactly the same way," he said.

Pennington, who was slated to play only two series, was replaced by rookie Kellen Clemens (10-for-14, 92 yards), who was impressive, leading the team to its only points. Patrick Ramsey (2-for-3, nine yards) handled mop-up duty.

notebook.gif

RUNNING ON EMPTY: Derrick Blaylock (six carries for 12 yards) and Houston (five for 17), both trying to fill the Curtis Martin void, didn't distinguish themselves. The rebuilt offensive line, featuring rookies D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold (one penalty), struggled to open holes against the Bucs' first- and second-stringers. . . . As expected, NT Sione Pouha (knee surgery) was placed on season-ending injured reserve.

Yea, just like his fabulous performance last night:

3.8 YPA, 2 fumbles (1 lost) and ZERO points on the scoreboard.

Yea, I'd want him as my starting QB.:eek:

2 fumbles...1 was not his fault...did you see the blitz up the middle that Houston didn't pick-up? Not his fault. The one where the DE came around his blindside, I guess I'll give you that.

His game is dinking and dunking 5-15 yards down the field Tx, he's not an air it out type of QB.

not yet...but he will.....

clemens looked way better...great 2 minute drive...

He will be airing it out....10 or 15 yards down the field a lot because we have no running game nor do we have a NT to tie up blockers / help stop the run so therefore we will be coming from behind a lot.

2 fumbles...1 was not his fault...did you see the blitz up the middle that Houston didn't pick-up? Not his fault. The one where the DE came around his blindside, I guess I'll give you that.

His game is dinking and dunking 5-15 yards down the field Tx, he's not an air it out type of QB.

124, I agree Houston completely missed that blitz pick-up (think Mangini will be all over him for that error?;) ).

However, PennyBoy saw him coming. It is his responsibility to tuck the football and protect from a fumble.

124, I agree Houston completely missed that blitz pick-up (think Mangini will be all over him for that error?;) ).

However, PennyBoy saw him coming. It is his responsibility to tuck the football and protect from a fumble.

Cmon. You have to be kiddding. Did you watch that play? The guy leaped from several yards away, the defender made a great play. That fumble was not Chad's fault.

Just an observation-2 blitzes, 2 different outcomes-Pennington fumbles and costs the Jets at least 3 points; Clemens tucks the ball under, takes the hit and hangs on to the ball.Think this coaching staff isn't going to allow anyone to point a finger like that on a turnover.

Just an observation-2 blitzes, 2 different outcomes-Pennington fumbles and costs the Jets at least 3 points; Clemens tucks the ball under, takes the hit and hangs on to the ball.Think this coaching staff isn't going to allow anyone to point a finger like that on a turnover.

Bugg,

I thought Clemens did a great job. He didn't seem to play like a rookie. If he plays 3rd or 4th next game he might put up even bigger #s in garbage time. He seems to be making a pretty big statement.

And if Chad's arm is at 100% then this is a no brainer for the long term. But I just can't blast Chad for that blitz. It was a jailbreak on the goal line. The Clemens blitz he had the ball much longer than Chad did. (Not knocking Clemens, just defending Chad somewhat).

Bugg,

I thought Clemens did a great job. He didn't seem to play like a rookie. If he plays 3rd or 4th next game he might put up even bigger #s in garbage time. He seems to be making a pretty big statement.

And if Chad's arm is at 100% then this is a no brainer for the long term. But I just can't blast Chad for that blitz. It was a jailbreak on the goal line. The Clemens blitz he had the ball much longer than Chad did. (Not knocking Clemens, just defending Chad somewhat).

I can see that. Just think you cannot fumble the ball in that situation. This offense is probably going to be from hunger this year. And protecting the ball is going to be huge. And Clemens, in the exact same situation, did exactly what you would want him to do.Clemsn played with poise, hustle and a gun of an arm. I don't know if this is a QB controversy yet, but another game where Pennington cannot throw it effectively more than 7 yards, and then it's on.

Well guys....you might be right. But with Mangini I am saying you never know. What if he just gives the other two guys equal air play against Washington? If he does Clemens might clean up against the scrubs.

Also if Ramsey doesn't pick it up he is not going to be getting snaps anywhere. Is it possible that he was ruined in that one season in Washington when he first got there?

Bugg your point is true though. Clemens played smart and didn't make any mistakes. That one throw (I forget the receiver) to the left that went for 20 or 30...that was a throw that Chad will never be able to make. It was a laser. Actually was nice to see!

That one throw (I forget the receiver) to the left that went for 20 or 30...that was a throw that Chad will never be able to make. It was a laser. Actually was nice to see!

thats was a great throw...he had one to the right side too...

One thing to remember is that our offense will play relatively conservative- so prime importance will be on managing the game and minimal turnovers

Clemens showed some nice poise and nice throws in his time- I see him moving up the depth chart switching with Ramsey sometime sooner than later

One game does not make a season. This offense will be all about throwing underneath and working your way down the field. Mangini is from the Belichek school.

Give Penny a break(as long as it's not his arm) and let's see how he holds up this week in camp after the game and live contact. I think that should say alot about how he will be this year.

only a fool would show all his cards in the 1st pre-season game anyway-me,I'm encouraged seeing a new philosophy from my team-all I have to go on is what I saw the last 5 years and regardless of what we do in PS-I at least have hope right now

One thing to remember is that our offense will play relatively conservative- so prime importance will be on managing the game and minimal turnovers

Clemens showed some nice poise and nice throws in his time- I see him moving up the depth chart switching with Ramsey sometime sooner than later

From what they said in camp, the longer passing plays haven't even been fully integrated into the playbook yet. It's not surprising they are starting with dink and dunk.

As for Clemens not making any mistakes-didn't he take a delay of game on one of his first plays?

he'll be chucking and ducking as soon as the games count for real. 'rotate' him to k.c. for a draft pick.

start bolly until clemmins is ready.

Jets | Pennington to practice Sunday

Sat, 12 Aug 2006 11:23:52 -0700

Tom Rock, of Newsday, reports New York Jets QB Chad Pennington said he will practice in full Sunday, Aug. 13. There was concern that Pennington may have injured his shoulder in the team's preseason opener Friday, Aug. 11.

Archived