Tui Alailefaleula has a real shot and other notes

bitonti

Tui Alailefaleula #93 granted was working against 3rd stringers and future UPS delivery men of America but this is a player the Jets have to give more time to during the upcoming preseason contests. What he brings to the table is a run stopping plugger mentality - doesn't lose his feet easily, doesn't get bowled over, can absorb the double team - exactly what a 3-4 defense needs at the nose. With the injury to Pouha and the rest of the players looking like Poo(ha) this guy has a real shot at the roster. 6-4 350 and a nasty attitude if he can play like he did last night against 1st or 2nd teamers he will be hard to cut.

Along with WR Reggie Newhouse the only UDFA with a real shot JMO.

Other random observations:

-the backup CBs are toast - Reed and Dada are garbage. Flush em. NEXT!

-I don't know who this Schmidt #61 is but they should return him to whatever pile of trash they found him. Another crapster.

-The 3-4 alignment is good but seems like alot of guys playing out of position. Vilma simply is not a 3-4 ILB - not even a little bit. So they can either play him in a position where he's going to suck or move him to the outside during 3-4 fronts - it's that simple. The Jets have a ton of hammerhead ILBs such as Chatham, Kassell, Schlegel and Barton/Hobson can play both - but Vilma should not be playing inside.

-Bryan Thomas looked very good as a 3-4 LB but did anyone else notice he started at ILB? The LB assignments seem arbitrary at this point.

-Kimo cannot back up Drob at NT. Not going to happen, he gets washed out at point of attack. Nice idea in theory not in practice.

-in general the defense was very vanilla, i think when the regular season starts we will see more 4-3. Mangini is having the players work in unfamiliar game situations and that's a good thing.

-the Chad fumble was caused by a subpar blitz pickup by Houston. Cut his man rather than stand up and take him on, the safety was able to launch airborne over the cut. Amateur mistake.

-The QBs Chad and Clemens both looked good - on paper it seems like Clemens was more effective but both took what the defense gave them. Had they been playing for real the Jets offense would have had a real shot to make it a game.

-Gotta love Brad Smith's quickness and elusiveness - still very raw however it will be at least a year until he can crack the starting lineup as a "real" WR.

-believe it or not the first team OL got very good push on running downs - TB was making tackles by bringing up the safeties and just high effort players making plays - but in general if the OL can create a new line of scrimmage 3 yards up the field, as they did at times against TB's defense, this will be an effective unit.

-RB Blaylock wasn't special. Houston/Washington as thunder and lightning anyone?

-The QBs Chad and Clemens both looked good - on paper it seems like Clemens was more effective but both took what the defense gave them. Had they been playing for real the Jets offense would have had a real shot to make it a game.

I gotta laugh at all these people saying how great Penny and Clemmy looked.

They put up 3 points - total.

Yeah, they looked great.

Throw Ramsey into the mix and you could say they were responsible for 1 point each.

At that rate, they'd put up 16 points for the entire season.

Isn't it clear by now? These guys are not the answer.

PENNY : fragile

RAMSEY: underachiever

CLEMMONS: One-dimensional

And Bollinger... glorified "Team Manager" He's like the guy who is the team manager all seasoin and they let him put a uniform on for a game. Did you notice he didn't get into the game?

Yeah, they looked great.

Throw Ramsey into the mix and you could say they were responsible for 1 point each.

Yeah, they looked great.

You forgot:

BOLLY : Bench-Warmer

Yeah, they looked great.

and bollinger is any better? and u spelled clemens wrong btw. ;)

Tui Alailefaleula #93 granted was working against 3rd stringers and future UPS delivery men of America but this is a player the Jets have to give more time to during the upcoming preseason...

Along with WR Reggie Newhouse the only UDFA with a real shot JMO.

Other random observations:

-the backup CBs are toast - Reed and Dada are garbage. Flush em. NEXT!

That isn't exactly going out on a limb regarding Alaifaleula (I just copied your spelling). Isn't he the only other DT on the roster? They pretty much have to take a look at him.

As for other UDFAs, what about Moa, Tutt and Costanzo? Costanzo is at the crowded LB spot, but the other two are working out as FB/TE/WR crosses. At least one should have a shot. Especially Tutt as he's a converted QB project and from what I heard they were fairly high on him. I assume he'll at least make the practice squad.

As for the CBs, those aren't the backups. Those are the camp fodder. They already have Dyson, Barrett, Miller, Strait, Mickens and Coleman. I'm surprised those guys saw any time.

Thanks for the report. Didn't get to see the game. No feed to AFN and it helps to know what went on. Can't get the whole feel from the radio feed.

Yeah, they looked great.

POW.

Archived