How Did DFat Play Last Night?

PatsFanTX

I did not see the entire game, only clips on the NFL channel.

Was Dfat on the nose and how did he play?

bit, you do not have to respond.

I'm looking for an objective analysis.;)

He did fine. Didnt get blown off the ball and held up his man at the point of attack. The run defense struggled because Barton and VIlma were running around blockers rather than taking them head on and blowing up plays.

Its convenient to blame the NT when the run defense struggles but that wasnt teh case lastnight. DROB was fine IMHO. Not dominant, but he didnt do anything to make you think he cant handle the job.

He did fine. Didnt get blown off the ball and held up his man at the point of attack. The run defense struggled because Barton and VIlma were running around blockers rather than taking them head on and blowing up plays.

Its convenient to blame the NT when the run defense struggles but that wasnt teh case lastnight. DROB was fine IMHO. Not dominant, but he didnt do anything to make you think he cant handle the job.

agreed

Thanks.

Not sure if you can blame Barton and Vilma that much, as they are not used to having bodies on them.

The three DLineman have to tie up more than one blocker a piece.

Welcome to the 3-4 defense.:cheers:

Thanks.

Not sure if you can blame Barton and Vilma that much, as they are not used to having bodies on them.

You fit the system to the players you have, not the other way around. Herm made the same mistake in 2001 rushing to install a 4-3 when our roster was better suited to 3-4 and now we have the opposite problem.

You fit the system to the players you have, not the other way around. Herm made the same mistake in 2001 rushing to install a 4-3 when our roster was better suited to 3-4 and now we have the opposite problem.

PeterNorth, my take on this is that Mangini will experiment with the 3-4 all pre season to see if there is any chance of making it work.

Once the regular season starts, I look for him to go back to the base 4-3 because he just does not have the right personnel to make the 3-4 work.

Thanks.

Yes, what I forgot to add is when teams realize they cant single team DROB (hoping/assuming DROB continues to hold up single teamed) they will begin to double him up to free up barton and vilma. that will be critical for them because they simply do not like taking on linemen.

PeterNorth, my take on this is that Mangini will experiment with the 3-4 all pre season to see if there is any chance of making it work.

Once the regular season starts, I look for him to go back to the base 4-3 because he just does not have the right personnel to make the 3-4 work.

You may very well be right and I hope for Mangina's sake you are. If the Jets try to use a 3-4 the entire season it will be a disaster.

You may very well be right and I hope for Mangina's sake you are. If the Jets try to use a 3-4 the entire season it will be a disaster.

I totally agree with you.

First off, Mangini might be that pig-headed to try that, but I think his football smarts will not allow that to happen.

I totally agree with you.

First off, Mangini might be that pig-headed to try that, but I think his football smarts will not allow that to happen.

the 3-4 will be fine. drob wasn't in the game long enough to make an accurate judgement as his problem seems to be that he wears down as the game goes on. the problem at NG was schmidt, who have never heard of and hopefully never see again. he was blown off the ball by tampa's 2nd unit.

remember when parcells was here, the jets didn't exactly have a dominant defense. it was more bend don't break and i think that is the same thing you will see this year. my hope is that mangini is savvy enough in game planning and in-game adjustments to prevent repeats of last year and the cottrell years where a team could run the ball right down the field.

Archived