Lee Suggs Dealt to Jets

jamesAngleton

http://browns.scout.com/2/556873.html

Lee Suggs Dealt to Jets 338924.jpg

By: Site Staff

Date: Aug 14, 2006

TheOBR.com has learned that RB Lee Suggs has been traded to the New York Jets for CB Derrick Strait. A full report from the OBR's Fred Greetham will be available this afternoon...

TheOBR.com has learned that RB Lee Suggs has been traded to the New York Jets for CB Derrick Strait. A full report from the OBR's Fred Greetham will be available later today. Suggs has been rumored to be on the trading block for a while, particularly following the Browns selection of RB Jerome Harrison in the fifth round of this year's draft.

Strait was a heralded defensive back at Oklahoma, and was winner of the Jim Thorpe (best defensive back) and Bronko Nagurski (best defensive player) awards. He lasted until the third round of the draft, and had two unexceptional seasons with the Jets.

Strait has reportedly had renewed focus this off-season, and will help the Browns with his flexibility, since he can play corner and has some experience at safety. In addition, he has appeared in nickel and dime packages with the Jets.

As reported in this morning's OBR News and World Report, the Browns and Jets have been discussing Suggs, although the trade has happened quickly. The Jets have a need at running back due to a knee injury to Curtis Martin.

[url=http://browns.scout.com/]

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's on the Browns website. Doesn''t sound "unconfirmed" to me.

I guess Mangini can't make EVERYBODY shut up, eh?

I hate to lose Strait, but the deal makes sense.

Browns acquire CB Derrick Strait

By Jeff Walcoff, Staff Writer

August 14, 2006

Lee Suggs was traded to the New York Jets Monday.

Photo By John H. Reid III

On Aug. 14, the Browns acquired third-year cornerback Derrick Strait from the New York Jets in exchange for fourth-year running back Lee Suggs, filling a need for both teams.

The trade came four days after starting cornerback Gary Baxter was sidelined by a right shoulder injury during the team's preseason opener in Philadelphia. The setback is expected to keep him out for the remainder of the preseason. Daylon McCutcheon, who was competing with Leigh Bodden for the team's other starting role, is also out for several weeks while he recovers from a knee surgery he had on Aug. 1.

The Jets, meanwhile, are without all-time leading rusher Curtis Martin, who is fighting a knee injury.

Strait (5-feet-11, 189 pounds) was a third-round draft pick (76th overall) by the Jets in 2004. He played in all 16 games last season with two starts, marking 31 tackles and a pair of pass breakups. During his rookie season of 2004, he played in 5 games (he missed 7 due to an ankle injury) and managed 5 tackles. He also has totaled 17 special teams tackles during his career.

When healthy, Suggs (6-0, 213) cwas productive for the Browns. He rushed for 186 yards on 26 carries and 2 scores during a win over Cincinnati on Dec. 28, 2003. But he battled numerous injuries during his tenure with the team. He missed all but the final 7 games of his rookie season recovering from shoulder surgery. He played in 10 games with 3 starts in '04 mounting career highs with 199 carries for 744 yards, but then had an injury-plagued '05 season when he played in 8 games and rushed just 8 times for 15 yards. Suggs had been competing for the starting running back job during '04 camp before a left ankle injury kept him out of practice and allowed the job to be earned by now-starter Reuben Droughns.

Strait and Suggs were both collegiate stars. Strait won the Jim Thorpe Award (nation's best defensive back) and the Nagurski Award (nation's top defensive player) as a senior at Oklahoma and also holds the Sooners' record for career starts with 53.

Suggs was an All-America selection who led Division I-A in scoring as a senior. He rushed for 2,767 yards on 535 carries. Suggs is the Big East's all-time rushing touchdowns leader with 53.

Know what? This is fine. At this point he was a backup safety for us. I think he'd have gotten bumped out of the nickel rotation as well once Barrett comes back & we still have Mickens.

If Mangini thought so much that he was the goods he'd have never done this. Plus we have like 19 DB's on this team.

Good move trading a guy who wouldn't see the field for a guy who will.

The more I think about this it is a low risk hoping to find a back that can help our running game.

Derrick was not going to start here _Mickens gives us experience as the nickel back- just no more Pass interference on 3rd and 25 Ray

Know what? This is fine. At this point he was a backup safety for us. I think he'd have gotten bumped out of the nickel rotation as well once Barrett comes back & we still have Mickens.

If Mangini thought so much that he was the goods he'd have never done this. Plus we have like 19 DB's on this team.

Good move trading a guy who wouldn't see the field for a guy who will.

True. There has been a glut of DBs on the jets for too long. Take a ticket Mr. Suggs.

why derrick strait? =/

We actually have a solid group at corner.Dyson,Miller,Barrett,Mickens and then you have Coleman who was having a good camp.There was no room for Strait at corner i suppose.

Saying that i've always like Strait,didn't really doing anything but he seemed like a great pick at the time.

Now hold on. I'm not accusing you of saying this but I thought Blaylock was a lock to be the future starting RB for the Jets. :confused:

with Suggs injury history, Blaylock probably still will be the starting RB. Still not a bad trade since a back-up was traded and not a draft pick. Suggs isn't ideal, but won't complain about the trade. However, that doesn't say much for Houston, Blaylock, or Washington.

Jets | Lee acquired in trade with Browns

Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:23:42 -0700

ESPNews reports the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl">Cleveland Browns have traded RB Lee Suggs to the New York Jets in exchange for CB Derrick Strait.

Browns | Lee traded for Strait

Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:23:10 -0700

ESPNews reports the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl">Cleveland Browns have traded RB Lee Suggs to the New York Jets in exchange for CB Derrick Strait.

:Typotux:

even from the beginning of this RB speculation I've wanted Suggs over almost every other option - why?

The guy has star potential. Yes he gets injured - alot - but he is nonetheless an extremely talented player and could fulfil his potential here in NY. He is a tough runner and it will be good to see someone with talent wearing 44 again.

Nice trade - Oh yeah ps - derrick strait is JAG

Nice ****.

I've always been a huge fan of Lee Suggs and now he'll finally get a chance to start if Martin remains out.

Suggs for Strait is a really good deal for us because he was a man without a position that he could win.

I love this deal.

I love how everyone can make their analysis from a meaningless preseason game. I hope Blaylock still gets a shot to show what he can do as I believe he can add something to the offense.

God damn you Herm....I am feeling for you Curtis

I've been a fan of Lee Suggs since his days at VaTech from 4 years to present. He's a very good back and if he stays healthy and gets a chance he is going to be a very good back in this league. It's not his problem the team had a lot of $$$ invested in William Green and then signed Reuben Droughns because they didn't give him a full shot.

I've been a fan of Lee Suggs since his days at VaTech from 4 years to present. He's a very good back and if he stays healthy and gets a chance he is going to be a very good back in this league. It's not his problem the team had a lot of $$$ invested in William Green and then signed Reuben Droughns because they didn't give him a full shot.

I agree 100% 124 Suggs was a monster at VT lets hope the change of scenery resurrects his promising career.

I like bringing Suggs in here. That needed to be done. But I always hoped Strait would become a player here. I thought he had potential (and still does obviously). All things being equal...this team needed a back BADLY.

We actually have a solid group at corner.Dyson,Miller,Barrett,Mickens and then you have Coleman who was having a good camp.There was no room for Strait at corner i suppose.

Saying that i've always like Strait,didn't really doing anything but he seemed like a great pick at the time.

true.

i really don't mind trading straight for suggs...

but...i don't really think suggs is the answer either. even when healthy, which wasn't often, suggs never really played that good. yeah, another rotational back :) and this one has injury problems too...how fun.

Archived