Lee Suggs Dealt to Jets

2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 71 | Key

Alert: D

Comment:

He runs with excellent balance and body control - can keep his feet after taking a hit. He shows solid inside run strength - keeps his momentum going forward. He does a solid job of falling forward after contact. He shows functional hands. Not a player you can align all over the field to create miss-matches, but he is effective catching the ball out of the backfield. He is smooth in the open field - does show a little extra burst. He knows how to finish his runs - will lower his pads and take on the defender. Had some fumbling issues in the Miami game, but his overall ball security throughout his career has been very good. The biggest negative with Suggs is that he is not durable. He is not consistent to be able to turn the corner. He needs to improve his blitz pick up and awareness

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now does somebody get cut or do the jets carry 4 RBs?

If somebody gets cut I say it's Blaylock . He's the most costly and Mangini has been impressed by Washington who would be a good replacement.

Now does somebody get cut or do the jets carry 4 RBs?

If somebody gets cut I say it's Blaylock . He's the most costly and Mangini has been impressed by Washington who would be a good replacement.

It would be Blaylock if anybody because of exactly what you said...Mangini being comfortable and liking Washington.

It would be Blaylock if anybody because of exactly what you said...Mangini being comfortable and liking Washington.

or ASKEW....we just signed a BIG FB....

i dont see blaylock getting canned yet

Askew will be the starting FB...Jamar Martin isn't going to unseat him...mark my word.

I would actually be a bit surprised if Askew were to get cut. Unless he's been completely useless at FB, he's the one guy on the roster who could play FB, and RB in a pinch. Mangini keeps talking about flexibility and versatility and Askew is the only RB on the roster that has that unless Cedric Houston starts gettins some reps at FB which I doubt will happen.

Does this mean Cumar retires now???

Suggs is injury prone, has proven nothing, Strait was at least healthy throughout his short time here.

I guess this is better than trading a 2nd rd pick for an injury prone back (C. Brown). I just hope we get lucky with this, we don't have the best track record in trading players.

2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 71 | Key

Alert: D

Comment:

He runs with excellent balance and body control - can keep his feet after taking a hit. He shows solid inside run strength - keeps his momentum going forward. He does a solid job of falling forward after contact. He shows functional hands. Not a player you can align all over the field to create miss-matches, but he is effective catching the ball out of the backfield. He is smooth in the open field - does show a little extra burst. He knows how to finish his runs - will lower his pads and take on the defender. Had some fumbling issues in the Miami game, but his overall ball security throughout his career has been very good. The biggest negative with Suggs is that he is not durable. He is not consistent to be able to turn the corner. He needs to improve his blitz pick up and awareness

Ouch. Sounds familiar. Nobody has to get cut, it's a one for one roster swap. I don't care that he's injury prone either. He either plays well or he's inactive. He's not somebody I'm counting on for x-yards. Just crossing out fingers and hope he improves. Didn't give up much.

Seems like a petty decent trade. We really didn't need Strait and suggs has pretty good potential. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

We didn't need Strait this year but my gut tells me we will be needing him in the next 1-2 years. That's why I have a problem with this trade, we gave up a solid DB for what seems to be a stop gap RB. That doesn't make sense at all. I'd be pretty happy if I were a browns fan because we just unloaded an injury prone backup rb for a quality DB that is very young.

I don't know. I don't see Strait beating out Miller or Dyson.

Suggs' price sure is right. 2006=950K; 2007=$545K

Blaylock might get traded unless Houston really starts stinking it up. He definitely has some trade value since we paid his SB and his salaries are low

raffyD, yo bro, pass that peace pipe on Strait being anything short of a career back-up!

I saw strait as the future Mickens (Nickel back), a very valuable commodity in your pass defense to have a solid CB playing the Nickel. I value a solid DB more than most I guess, maybe Herm got to me.;)

I don't know. I don't see Strait beating out Miller or Dyson.

Suggs' price sure is right. 2006=950K; 2007=$545K

Blaylock might get traded unless Houston really starts stinking it up. He definitely has some trade value since we paid his SB and his salaries are low

2005600000.002006585000.002007708500.002008872000. 0020091035500.00

Strait was not going to beat out Dyson, possibly not Miller either but no one knows what next year brings which is why I'm concerned about this move. Suggs' price is right because he was a 4th round pick and since then has really done nothing to change that perception of him. Like I said, I'd be happy with this if I were a Browns fan.

God I hope I'm wrong.

One more thing, I may just be incredibly paranoid after growing up watching my teams give up young guys who go on to have solid to stellar careers with other teams (Jets, Mets, Knicks, maybe not the Rangers).

The guy has star potential. Yes he gets injured - alot - but he is nonetheless an extremely talented player and could fulfil his potential here in NY. He is a tough runner and it will be good to see someone with talent wearing 44 again.

Give him a new number to change his luck.

The new FB (Martin) had 44 on today, anyway.

I'm sorry to see Strait go, but if Suggs can actually PRODUCE at rb then its a good trade.

From a Clevelend Browns fan perspective.......

"I wonder if Suggs will develop a legion of Jets fans who pretend he is obviously the most talented back on the team, with mythical vision and speed, and that "if he could just stay healthy" he'd be a star

See ya Lee! Hope you enjoy the Jets injury list as much as our's."

From a Clevelend Browns fan perspective.......

"I wonder if Suggs will develop a legion of Jets fans who pretend he is obviously the most talented back on the team, with mythical vision and speed, and that "if he could just stay healthy" he'd be a star

See ya Lee! Hope you enjoy the Jets injury list as much as our's."

Like I said eariler, I'd be happy if I were a Browns fan as this kid cannot seem to stay on the field. He missed time for a toe and thumb injury, I can see why they are thrilled.

BTW, here is a quick blurb about Suggs from a big V. Tech supporter friend of mine:

Not unimpressed, just never overwhelmed with Suggs. He was a solid back -- nothing more, nothing less.

He played in the same backfield as Kevin Jones for a couple of years. Suggs was the consistent runner who would patiently let the line open up some holes while picking up 2-4 yards per carry. KJ would have 3 or 4 carries for losses per game, but you could count on him to bust a couple of runs for 20+ yards. We thought KJ should have had a lot more touches than he got because of Suggs.

I'm not sure Suggs gives you a lot more than Cedric, but we shall see.

It is a deal that had to be made.

My guess is that we have probably seen the last of Martin as a Jet. Unless he makes a miraculous recovery he is done. Thank Herm for that.

While I do like Strait it did not look like he was ever gonna a chance here to be a starter. Dyson will man one side and Miller the other.

Good deal. Now we all just have to keep our fingers crossed that Suggs doesn't break a fingernail or something.

Give him a new number to change his luck.

The new FB (Martin) had 44 on today, anyway.

I'm sorry to see Strait go, but if Suggs can actually PRODUCE at rb then its a good trade.

Hopefully he changes and gives Lee 44. If so, a new SUGGS 44 jersey will be int he mail for 124 and will be repped at the Home Opener (hoepfully)

Strait was not going to beat out Dyson, possibly not Miller either but no one knows what next year brings which is why I'm concerned about this move. Suggs' price is right because he was a 4th round pick and since then has really done nothing to change that perception of him. Like I said, I'd be happy with this if I were a Browns fan.

God I hope I'm wrong.

So? He's a 4th round pick that never cut it, what is Strait? A 3rd round pick that never cut it. Strait is slow and he is nothing like Mickens other than that they both played nickel. He is a liability in man and too small to be a proper safety under this system. Suggs belonged on the field more than Strait when he's healthy and we have 5 solid players at CB. We can't say that at RB. Strait was getting probably getting cut. The way I see this is a no lose. Probably not much of a win, but we can't lose.

Hopefully he changes and gives Lee 44. If so, a new SUGGS 44 jersey will be int he mail for 124 and will be repped at the Home Opener (hoepfully)

I'm with you 124, I'd like to see Suggs get 44 so I can show some support with a new jersey myself. Also because I went to Cuse and 44 is a big number there so it would be nice to wear it in green and white.

BTW, how did Suggs have 44, didn't Jim Brown wear that number for Cleveland? I thought for sure they would have retired it.

Derrick is a great physical tacler but does not have great speed. I don't know if his foot injury had anything to do with his lack of speed. Suggs needs to stay healthy. If he does I think it's a good deal for us.

Good post gwf. My main problem is that the Browns fans have been saying the the "if he stays healthy he will be good" crap almost as long as we have been with Chad and some people here want to cut Chad outright because of those injuries (I know SE, the cap, the cap)!

I'm with you 124, I'd like to see Suggs get 44 so I can show some support with a new jersey myself. Also because I went to Cuse and 44 is a big number there so it would be nice to wear it in green and white.

BTW, how did Suggs have 44, didn't Jim Brown wear that number for Cleveland? I thought for sure they would have retired it.

Jim Brown wore number 32...I believe Leroy Kelly wore number 44.

I've loved Suggs since VaTech. I almost bought his 44 Browns jersey in Brown 2 years ago but decided I wouldn't pull a Smizzy unless it was for Pat Tillman.;):P