Away Game Road Trip Question

djaparz

DJ:

Stay tuned. We are working on this and will have info shortly. We have identified what we think is a real good travel company to partner with.

Kind of hammering out the details now. The goal here is to find someone that will let us buy in bulk and we can pass the savings on to you guys!

very good - its not just the savings - getting tickets to be able to sit together is what i am really thinking about

Oh my bad...then I will keep the savings for myself! Would a mod please erase that part! :mrgreen:

Oh my bad...then I will keep the savings for myself! Would a mod please erase that part! :mrgreen:

Just remember Max with the savings djparz is passing up that I get my split for being a moderator.

Usually i`m 1 of the first to book ,booking early uaually saves money on the flights ,last year right before the season started a few airlines tried to compete against jet blue and I could have saved a few more bucks but in the years i`ve been doing this that was rare usually the further in advance you buy airline and hotels the better the rate ,usually the hotels raise accordingly but if you buy as soon as the dates announced you can get a deal before there raised, after getting a good deal, i`ll or who ever else has booked will let others on the site know where were staying and others will book there ,then it`s off to ebay or other ticket sites (not usually brokers) to get seats as much in a group as possible..so when you see me, T-MAC,BRENDA, GGG, or LIMO LADY start saying we`ve booked just jump on board it`s always a great time........

The goal here is to find someone that will let us buy in bulk and we can pass the savings on to you guys!

Max, did you fail Business 101?

You NEVER pass savings on to the consumer.

You gouge them for as much as possible and keep the money as pure profit.

Dumbass.

Max, did you fail Business 101?

You NEVER pass savings on to the consumer.

You gouge them for as much as possible and keep the money as pure profit.

Dumbass.

I am like Crazy Eddie if you were on the East Coast when they were in Business.

OUR PRICES ARE SO LOW WE ARE PRACTICALLY GIVING IT AWAY!!! Be dialing people....

I remember those commercials on channel 11.

Funny as hell but extremely irritating.

What ever happened to the guy?

He went to jail. Some kind of insider trading I think. Someone here will certainly remember more about it...

"Crazy Eddie Antar and the Temple of Doom"

Eddie Antar. The vile name itself still boils my blood and rattles my brain. To the uninitiated, or forgetful, he was the 1980's super-wily electronics salesman of the New York City area whose annoying, hyperkinetic commercials became famous. OK, infamous. With an actor screaming nonstop throughout the commercial, he would say *anything* to get you into one of the Crazy Eddie electronics stores. His prices were "IN-SANE!!!!"

Out-of-towners may remember a scene from the movie "Splash," with Daryl Hannah staring wide eyed at a bank of televisions in the electronics department of Bloomingdales while a frenzied pitchman screamed at viewers. Yes, that was a real Crazy Eddie commercial.

Legend has it that when he started his first shop in Brooklyn, he would never let a customer out the door without selling him something. Anything. He would just keep dropping the price until they said yes, sort of like shopping in the serpentine corridors of some Middle Eastern bazaar. He was successful. He expanded. He incorporated and sold shares to the public. The price of the stock soared into the $20's.

The stock price dropped. Recession related? My, that would be a nice time to buy shares in a company, I thought. Who knows, he could go national. Buy low and sell high, that's the idea after all. And the price dropped to about $6 1/4. I bought some. It dropped some more to about $5. Well, I figured, if it was good for me at $6.25 per share, it should be great at $5, no? I "averaged down," feeling shrewd all the way.

I confess my research was not that thorough, but I knew that the company had great name recognition and people DID go into the stores, most of which were opened with tremendous fanfare. Everyone within earshot knew who Crazy Eddie was. But financial troubles ensued and the stock dropped to $2. No point selling now, I thought, as I wouldn't get much back anyway---let's look for a turnaround.

Eventually the company was sold to others, who no doubt did a heck of a lot more research than I. Trouble was, the "Inventory" that existed on paper did not exist in the warehouses. There was *nothing* left in the Crazy Eddie Empire. Eddie Antar fled the country with mucho millions, and the company went into bankruptcy, never to emerge. Eddie was subsequently captured overseas with an assumed name, multiple passports, and reports of over $80 million floating around various banks in favorable countries. The assets were seized.

He was tried and convicted. (Yes!) The judge said at the sentencing, and I am paraphrasing here, that it was clear to him from the outset that Eddie was guilty, guilty, guilty, as guilty as the day is long. He then handed down a nice fat sentence, much to the satisfaction of all who had been duped.

The Court of Appeals, however, was not favorably disposed to hear that one of their judges had given up the presumption of innocence at the START of the trial, and they threw the verdict out a few months back. Eddie has to be re-tried. All that celebrating over his conviction for nothing.

Oh yeah, the moral of the story. I'd like to say it was: "There's nothing better than researching something to death before investing," which is very true. This is particularly important when suggestions and tips come to us though cyberspace from anonymous individuals, some of whom may be ignorant, some of whom may be very knowledgeable, but any of whom could be manipulative for their own gain. If it happens offline, it can happen online.

But the above moral doesn't entirely work for me. Since Crazy Eddie was investigated by others prior to the sale, and no irregularities found, I have favored myself with the conclusion that I would not have found problems no matter how hard I looked. I don't think Eddie would have let me into his warehouses to have a look around before buying a couple of shares, do you?

I'm now better attuned to market manipulations which regularly go on, and watched with interest as the head of First Jersey Securities was recently convicted for manipulating stock. And my experience with Eddie has taught me a few things:

1) Never, ever put all of your eggs in one basket, even if the company looks like the greatest thing since sliced bread. Be diversified for a number of reasons, of which this is but one. Fraud happens, it victimizes the savviest of investors, and it will continue to happen.

2) Management matters. It is legend now how it contributed to the Chrysler turnaround. A good company needs both product and people.

3) Never completely trust anyone you have met while investing, for everyone has motives to do something. Don't distrust them either, just be Foolishly vigilant. It's your money, after all; you have your own best interests at heart.

i will trying to drive to Atlanta, Carolina or BUffalo - Hopefully BUffalo is early in the year
Buffalo was so cheap last year you couldn`t drive chaper a 1 hour 20 min. flight for $115 total FROM NEWARK. ,taxes, security fees ,everything as opposed to 7 hours in a car

FYI...we should have some info real soon on the group deals for trips.

I talked to a few people today and have another call scheduled tomorrow morning.

More info will be posted soon!

I booked the camden yards marriott already ,great place ,also a note of interest to YANKEE/JET fans the yanks finish up a series with the O`s at camden yards that thurs.9/29 before the jet game on 10/2 ,yank fans may decide to stay and party that weekend also,so rooms may go fast here...

FYI...we should have some info real soon on the group deals for trips.

I talked to a few people today and have another call scheduled tomorrow morning.

More info will be posted soon!

wow you schedule phone calls max?........ shanes numerous comments regarding your anal side must have a double meaning ehhh?

Archived