Here's how to fix the DH issue.

AFJF

Scott,

I think like other changes in the game, the DH is for the better. It might not be pure and as Abner intended. It might dumb down the game. However, it is more exciting to watch a Ortiz vs John Santana then Pedro Martinez vs anybody piching match-up.

Scott,

I think like other changes in the game, the DH is for the better. It might not be pure and as Abner intended. It might dumb down the game. However, it is more exciting to watch a Ortiz vs John Santana then Pedro Martinez vs anybody piching match-up.

PFSIKH-As Air Force smartly stated, one person's "exciting" is another person's "humdrum".

I have seen the old days of Colorado "home run derby" and I have seen pitching dominated performances. I am not of the mind that I have to see pure "mash ball" in order to be entertained.

I understand that is an opinion.

I'd rather make all of the players actually play the whole game (batting and fielding) than not making a poor fielder field and a poor hitter hit, even if it is a pitcher. NL players have to know how to hit and field even if some of them aren't very good at it. And NL managers need to know when to make defensive and offensive substitutions. Earlier this month when the braves were playing the pirates, Bobby Cox made a substitution for a matchup that was going to happen 3 innings later, he was thinking that far ahead. When was the last time Joe Torre did something like that? I guess some people just have short attention spans and aren't fans of real old school baseball. Anyway, I find it even more exciting when a pitcher gets a hit cause its unexpected.

If you really want a solution, just go with an 8 man lineup and get rid of the spot.

NL fans, saying their league is better because it has no DH, sound just like Milhouse on The Simpsons telling Bart, "My mom says I'm cool!"

not better,, its just a matter of whether u like cerebral strategic game or stratomatic baseball

What is wrong with having 'easy outs" in the game. It affects strategy.

Ozzie Smith was an easy out for the greater part of his career. Should we have instituted a designated Ozzie?

Vince Coleman had close to zero power in his game. Should we have gone the Charlie O way and instituted a designated runner for once through the line up?

Should AROD have a designated fielder that can take his place, so we don't have to watch that?

The argument seems to be that it is such a horrible thing to have a non-germane element to the game, when they exist all over baseball.

or a designated free throw shooter for Shaq

That would be interesting, if there was a designated defensive player in basketball. Could just leave one guy who couldn't play defense very well on the offensive half of the court the whole game to be guarded by the designated defender. Of course that might cut down on fast breaks, which wouldn't be as exciting. But the exciting! offensive players could get more minutes!

That would be interesting, if there was a designated defensive player in basketball. Could just leave one guy who couldn't play defense very well on the offensive half of the court the whole game to be guarded by the designated defender. Of course that might cut down on fast breaks, which wouldn't be as exciting. But the exciting! offensive players could get more minutes!

now u r seeing the genesis of the DH,,

instant gratification for me generation 'i want HRs, runs, action every second' youngsters who picked the instant grat over a strategic flair to the game,,

too bad bart giamatti croaked,, it was next on his agenda,,eliminate the DH,,

I look at the DH kind of the way most Americans look at soccer...most Americans think soccer is too dull, need more offense.

The DH was created just for that...attendance around both leagues was suffering during that time period...American Leagues went for it. National League teams being the stuffed shirts they are, didn't...simple as that.

If the DH is so bad, I have an idea...how about when the National League teams come to American League parks during the WS, they can have the option of not using it...this way they can use all the strategy they want...:rolleyes:

There's defense in basketball? When did this happen?

Too bad the NL is vastly inferior to the AL and pitchers who go from the NL to AL usually see their ERA's go up by several runs.

Hey Steven Hawking,, the whole AL has higher ERAs due to DH... look at team ERA stats,,

So logic says a NL pitcher who has a semiauto out in a pitcher 3 times a game will suffer a bigger ERA in Al with the DH,,

PFSIKH-As Air Force smartly stated, one person's "exciting" is another person's "humdrum".

I have seen the old days of Colorado "home run derby" and I have seen pitching dominated performances. I am not of the mind that I have to see pure "mash ball" in order to be entertained.

I understand that is an opinion.

I agree with you. I would prefer to see a dominating pitching performance like Pedro routinely did in the late 90s and early 00s. His one hit 17K game of the Yankees 6-7 years ago, is probably the greatest pitching performance I have seen. Awesome.

I do not want to see a league full of softball scores. An ocassional slugfest, is ok.

I think most of use will agree, dominating pitching performances are few and far between. Expansion has weeded that out to almost the point of extinction.

In the end, we are talking one player taking and AB. It is not like they are using DHs for pitchers, SS and 2B. While NL ERA are usually lower and the AL has higher batting averages, we are not talking apples and oranges. It is more a case of mauve and purple.

Archived