Kevin Barlow traded to the Jets

madmike1

i have a feeling that the jets saw enough out of washington and blaylock last night that they are comfortable bringing a cheaper option in here and going RB by comittee...

We'll see how cheap he is when they announce what draft pick we gave up and what kind of year he will have.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this. He has had absolutely no one to block for him for 2 years running now & zero threat of any passing attack. Gore (while probably better anyway) had his ypc jacked up by a couple of really long runs with a relatively small # of carries. But on any particular carry he's not going 4 yards on an avg carry behind that SF line either.

His salary is not insignificant (though we can drop him without penalty at any time since SF paid his SB not us):

2006: $2.5M

2007: $3.25M

2008: $4.0M

He's a big back (which is probably needed behind this line & a dink & dunk offense that doesn't stretch the D) & can carry the ball 20x/game. He can also catch the ball & do damage after the catch.

I'll bet it was no higher than a 5th (possible conditional 4th) pick since SF probably was eager to get rid of him - he's a moody sht who doesn't talk to their FB and eliminates the second-guessing of which RB should they use.

If it's a day one pick then I think it's stupid. I'm not even big on giving a 4th for him. 5th & lower I'm on board (but the lower, the better).

Barlow is a decent pickup to throw into the RB by committee- he is capable running and receiving which is good also. San Fran has had no QB and practically no offensive line the last couple of years so that effects the whole team- if a 4th or 5th pick pick or so this is low risk decent reward potential

Why is everyone still saying Askew will be cut? When the hell did Jamar Martin replace him? 4th quarter? That'll show you enough right there.

It's going to be Askew at FB and Martin will either be a last week cut or he'll barely make the roster as the back-up FB. Houston can move to FB if he can learn how to freakin' block.

RB's:

1. Barlow

2. Blaylock / Houston / Washington

3. Blaylock / Houston / Washington

Houston if he isn't one of the final 2 can be traded / placed at FB or cut...Washington as a 4th round pick and showing that he can catch out of the backfield (something BShott really likes) and can return kicks for us proved he's worth a roster spot. He will be the 2nd or 3rd back on this team behind Barlow. Blaylock vs Houston starts right now.

I like the deal BARLOW has a chance to be the premier back that he is.Im looking for a possibly bigger trade in the works involving McCareins,Strait and Blaylock for some defensive help.Mangini is not looking to finish 8-8 i can gaurantee you that.

He isn't looking to finish 8-8 but he has a very tough season ahead of him. Belichick took over an 8-8 team, cleaned house, and finished 5-11 in 2000.

If I was a Jets fan I would be happy with a 6-10 season and to let Mangini put together a team with his type of players.

looking at his players page from NFL,com two things jump out at me;

1-he runs as well on turf as he does on grass and

2-in 03 he ripped off a 78 yrd run-when was the last time a Jets RB took one to the house for 78 yards?

I also seem to remember last time San Fran and him played against us he had a good game- could have been just our defense though!

I also seem to remember last time San Fran and him played against us he had a good game- could have been just our defense though!

and..faba-he's another guy who played at Pitt (like Curtis) and knows how to run in that kind of weather you guys get in Jersey in December and January

and..faba-he's another guy who played at Pitt (like Curtis) and knows how to run in that kind of weather you guys get in Jersey in December and January

Exactly. Which is the type of back we need. But then again Lee Suggs was stepping into that position as well after 3 years in Cleveland. But, it's still good to get a back whose used to carrying the ball in frigid weather / unfair game conditions. Although he's played in SF his first 4 seasons, he still has his past to look back on it.

One thing we know is that by picking up martin and Barlow, it's going to push everyone to be better, if they want a job. But just as Martin didnt get quality reps his first game, I wonder how much we will see Barlow Friday.

I like this. He has had absolutely no one to block for him for 2 years running now & zero threat of any passing attack. Gore (while probably better anyway) had his ypc jacked up by a couple of really long runs with a relatively small # of carries. But on any particular carry he's not going 4 yards on an avg carry behind that SF line either.

His salary is not insignificant (though we can drop him without penalty at any time since SF paid his SB not us):

2006: $2.5M

2007: $3.25M

2008: $4.0M

He's a big back (which is probably needed behind this line & a dink & dunk offense that doesn't stretch the D) & can carry the ball 20x/game. He can also catch the ball & do damage after the catch.

I'll bet it was no higher than a 5th (possible conditional 4th) pick since SF probably was eager to get rid of him - he's a moody sht who doesn't talk to their FB and eliminates the second-guessing of which RB should they use.

If it's a day one pick then I think it's stupid. I'm not even big on giving a 4th for him. 5th & lower I'm on board (but the lower, the better).

Looking at those salaries,i don't see the Jets keeping this guy beyond this season.

One thing we know is that by picking up martin and Barlow, it's going to push everyone to be better, if they want a job. But just as Martin didnt get quality reps his first game, I wonder how much we will see Barlow Friday.

Seeing as Barlow was playing in San Fran, I think he'll get plenty of action. Start? No. But plenty of action I see him going since he's been in TC and game action so far this summer. I'm thinking around 10 carries.

learning curve with RBs is short JC-that's why we have seen kids coming out of college making immeadiate impacts in the NFL-unlike say QBs-the hole numbers are the same and the blocking schemes too-RBs can almost come in and play sandlot and succeed

Looking at those salaries,i don't see the Jets keeping this guy beyond this season.

Why not? They're not that bad and if he can produce 1,000+ yards he's a good pick-up and worth the $$$. We may not be in position to grab Adrian Peterson or Michael Bush in the 07 Draft. And even if we are...we may look towards NT, OLB or WR first.

We'll see how cheap he is when they announce what draft pick we gave up and what kind of year he will have.

I highly doubt Mangini was willing to part with more than a 5th rounder and if he did I would be both surprised and disappointed.

The trade for Suggs suggests they aren't looking for a long term solution they just want someone to come in and give the backfield some respectability for the season. From that standpoint I think Barlow is a good choice in trying to provide that.

I like Barlow better than suggs for one basic reason. Barlow is a RUNNINGBACK! Suggs was just an athlete out there. Suggs has ZERO vision for a RB with his type of athletic ability. Barlow is more like CMart(when CMart was CMart) in the sense that he isn't really going to blow past defenders with his blazing speed but he has a good combination of power speed and vision altogehter. He also is a threat out of the backfield as a reciever which I'm sure B-Schott will like.

Overall I agree with whoever it was previously in this thread that said they like this trade if we didn't give up more than a 5th rounder. Next year we draft a RB of the future and clean house with all these scrubs we have right now.

2 years ago, we played san fran. We held down Barlow fairly good, but I think he said that our dline or defense was overrated. Yeah, I'm pretty sure he said that.

As long as he isnt our starting back in 07' I will be happy.

He got like 4 ypc and a touchdown against us running behind the '04 SF O-line. I think that's better than most did.

Why not? They're not that bad and if he can produce 1,000+ yards he's a good pick-up and worth the $$$. We may not be in position to grab Adrian Peterson or Michael Bush in the 07 Draft. And even if we are...we may look towards NT, OLB or WR first.

Very true. If he proves to be worth that money which to be honest really isn't that much, then why cut him... Even if we draft a stud like Adrian Peterson who says we can't use more than 1 good RB on the team. Hopefully Leon Washington turns out to be a good 3rd down back but I don't think he'll ever be a workhorse 20 carry a game back.

Regardless it's too early to be talking about what we do with him next year. Lets see what he can do for us this year first.

learning curve with RBs is short JC-that's why we have seen kids coming out of college making immeadiate impacts in the NFL-unlike say QBs-the hole numbers are the same and the blocking schemes too-RBs can almost come in and play sandlot and succeed

Good point on the learning curve.

C HOUSTON 14 53 3.8 20 0

D BLAYLOCK 10 46 4.6 13 0

B BOLLINGE 5 35 7.0 23 0

L WASHINGT 6

They had about 30 carries for the top three rbs last night.

So if they split it up evenly, maybe Barlow will get 10 as someone said.

Very true. If he proves to be worth that money which to be honest really isn't that much, then why cut him... Even if we draft a stud like Adrian Peterson who says we can't use more than 1 good RB on the team. Hopefully Leon Washington turns out to be a good 3rd down back but I don't think he'll ever be a workhorse 20 carry a game back.

Regardless it's too early to be talking about what we do with him next year. Lets see what he can do for us this year first.

yea xcel I'm seeing Leon Washington in a Bruce Harper type-role.The Tribesmen (Parcells guys) always have that kind of player on the roster

Exactly.

Even if we get a bruiser like Peterson it would be great to have a fairly young guy (Barlow would only be 28 next year) behind him backing him up and maybe splitting carries with him ala Ronnie Brown / Ricky Williams 2005.

Leon Washington, like you said, is definitely a 3rd down back out of the backfield, agree with that 110%.

Barlow is a decent pickup to throw into the RB by committee- he is capable running and receiving which is good also. San Fran has had no QB and practically no offensive line the last couple of years so that effects the whole team- if a 4th or 5th pick pick or so this is low risk decent reward potential

Jets | Team announces Barlow trade; pending his passing a physical

Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:54:15 -0700

The New York Jets announced they have reached an agreement in principle with the San Francisco 49ers to acquire RB Kevan Barlow in exchange for an undisclosed draft pick. The deal is pending Barlow's passing of a physical. "We have been impressed with Kevan's production in both the running and passing game," said Jets' general manager Mike Tannenbaum. "We feel Kevan will complement our running back group, and he will come in and compete for playing time."

49ers | Land 2007 draft choice for Barlow

Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:32:28 -0700

Updating previous reports, Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports the New York Jets gave up an undisclosed 2007 draft choice to the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for RB Kevan Barlow.

Looks like it's a 4 with a conditional change to our actual #2 pick next year, should he meet certain criteria this season - good move, especially if we get 850-900 yards from him this season...

He was 21 carries for 79 yards (3.8 avg) and one TD versus the Jets in 2004.

So what is that, about 3 ypc then? That IS about 4 ypc for one game. So on his very last carry to run out the clock before halftime, if he got another 5 meaningless yards then all of a sudden he had a dominant game from start to finish? You can nitpick between 3.8 and 4.1 over an entire season not over 20 carries.

You above all should know that.

Well lets see how this pans out. I don't think I will want to be around the board

say on Mar. 1st when they announce they are cutting him and at the

same time announce they have to give up a second round draft pick to SF in

the 2007 draft.

With Houston's propensity to fumble I think he will be the odd man out. I like this guy better than Duckett because he is more diverse. With that being said still seems a little desperate and dying to know what the pick was. Anything higher than a 5th and I am disappointed

Barlow is very talented - He ran for over a 1000 yards on just 201 carries averaging 5.1 a pop in 2003 and his season long was 78 yards. Dont know what went wrong from there as I dont watch much of the Niners... Barlow does appear to have some attitude issues. I remember one game two years ago when the niners were getting blown out and Barlow scored a garbage time TD then proceeded to celebrate as if he just scored a game winner. Maybe it meant nothing and he just got overly excited - but I thought it really showed where his priorities were.

Maybe a change of scenary will help. The guy has talent and Im fine with it aslong as we didnt give up a day one pick.

do you know that Kevin Barlow did in 2003 what only one other Jets RB has been able to do? He ran for a 78 yard TD-Bruce Harper did it in '83 to find the 2nd longest ya gotta go back to 1971 when Cliff McClain ran one in from 63 yards out

on note;Johnny Johnson had a 90 yrd run in '94-no TD and Adrian Murrell a 78 yarder in '96 also no TD

So what is that, about 3 ypc then? That IS about 4 ypc for one game. So on his very last carry to run out the clock before halftime, if he got another 5 meaningless yards then all of a sudden he had a dominant game from start to finish? You can nitpick between 3.8 and 4.1 over an entire season not over 20 carries.

You above all should know that.

Dude, chill out.

I wasn't even argueing in this thread.

I just provided Barlow's stats for the game you referenced.

Archived