So is Papelbon still better than Mo?

Blackout

Mike Gonzalez > Papelbon

Mike Gonzalez > Rivera

21/21

That and Freddy Sanchez, Jason Baey (sp??). That's all you have.

BTW - it is not all that tough to pitch well without the playoff specter shining on you. In Pittsburgh, the pennant race is over in April. I wonder how he would do in the playoff cooker?

Mike Gonzalez > Papelbon

Mike Gonzalez > Rivera

21/21

I'm a big fan of Gonzalez Sharrow, and I would love to see him in pinstripes. However, having a better save pct. in games with the fewest people paying atteintion is a lot different than a situation where almost every blown save makes headlines and is put under a microscope. Again, I like the guy and I don't think you can blame him for the fact that he hasnt saved a big game yet. But until he pitches for a contender it's impossible to compare him to guys who have done it year after year in the spotlight.

save percentage is over-rated

you can come in with a 3 run lead, give up 2 runs, and still earn a save

with that said, Mike Gonzolez has been great for my fantasy baseball team, I'd love to see him as Mo's setup man someday

True, but based on his 2.29 ERA I'd guess he hasn't been coming in on a regular basis giving up two runs at a time. Actually, on the season he's given up 0-1 runs an all but two occassions when he allowed 2 runs. Not bad if you ask me. As far as WHIP goes, that is a stat that can absolutely make or break your fantasy team so do not take a guy like Gonzalez if you're worried about your Yahoo! league. In real life however, if you can come in and get the save 90% of the time or better leaving a couple of runners stranded, I'll take it.

That loss belongs to Mirabelli. And also the inability to hit with the bases loaded.

Papelbon did a hell of a job in the 8th, and got very unlucky in the 9th.

Are Yankee fans still the classiest in baseball? bwahahahaha.

Are Yankee fans still the classiest in baseball? bwahahahaha.

When JBF is one of your fellow fans, your team certainly is far down the totem pole of "classy fans".

Oh wait, I forgot. He is not a Bosox fan. He only cares that the Yankees do not win.

Silly me for forgetting this. ;)

When JBF is one of your fellow fans, your team certainly is far down the totem pole of "classy fans".

Oh wait, I forgot. He is not a Bosox fan. He only cares that the Yankees do not win.

Silly me for forgetting this. ;)

Believe me, I dislike him as much as the rest of you. He only makes the rest of us good fans look stupid.

save percentage is over-rated

you can come in with a 3 run lead, give up 2 runs, and still earn a save

with that said, Mike Gonzolez has been great for my fantasy baseball team, I'd love to see him as Mo's setup man someday

I still wish you were in the JN league I have Dunn in. I've wanted to trade him all season. Somebody sent me an offer real early in the season after he was on a hot streak and I didn't accept it, I think it was Smizzy. He's hit like .220 ever since.

Anyway, Gonzo = GOAT.

He would do even better on a contender or in the playoffs. He excells when the pressure is on. Many a time has he put a man in scoring position with the game on the line and then struck out the side. ;)

im not a yanks fan by any stretch but to compare Mo to Papelbon is to compare a hand gun to a M-16. Mo is easily the better pitcher.

Papelbon needs to pitch a few years before he could even be considered better than anyone. Giving too much credit and honors to a rookie is stupid. See Mark Fidrych.

He MAY be better someday....but lets be real, comparing Papelbon to Rivera is nothing short of insane right now. Thing is, Papelbon should probably be a starter right now with Foulke and Hensen sharing closing duties. The season is over as far as I am concerned, let the future begin now.

Archived