Jerricho Cotchery Comments on John Abraham on ESPN Radio

YJF

Just a sidenote. Jerricho Cotchery was on ESPN Radio today with John Clayton and Sean Salisbury. He was asked about John Abraham as a teammate. Cotchery Called him a "warrior". That's his quote not mine. Said his teammates love Abe. Said Abraham was an extremely hard worker and got along real well with the rookies.

John Clayton said that Abraham had an 8 week injury that he and The Jets should have been more upfront about it from the get go but they tried to be secretive.

Clayton said that Herm was using Abraham's status in the playoffs to get San Diego and Pittsburgh to waste time game planning for Abe. Jets knew John wouldn't be available until The AFC Championship at best.

By the way, Clayton interviewed ESPN analyst Randy Mueller and they both feel that The Jets need to get atleast a 1 and a 3 for Abraham. Clayton says that several NFL teams have already contacted The Jets about Abraham. Didn't say who but it's gotta be teams with cap room.

I see this disease every year.

It's called M.D.D "Mad Draft Disease"

It's where somebody wants to trade everybody on their team for draft picks.

Except not every 1st rd pick pans out,not every top 5 pick will pan out.

They don't called the biggest crap shoot in sports for nothing. Sometimes these college kids have alot of ability but it just doesn't transfer over on the field in the NFL.

Some guys can't handle the pressure or the physicality of the NFL .

Being good or even great @ the NCAA level doesn't guarantee you will do well in the NFL.

Unless we get a deal that is too good to be true. We have to keep abe and get him on the field.

Just a sidenote. Jerricho Cotchery was on ESPN Radio today with John Clayton and Sean Salisbury. He was asked about John Abraham as a teammate. Cotchery Called him a "warrior". That's his quote not mine. Said his teammates love Abe. Said Abraham was an extremely hard worker and got along real well with the rookies.

John Clayton said that Abraham had an 8 week injury that he and The Jets should have been more upfront about it from the get go but they tried to be secretive.

Clayton said that Herm was using Abraham's status in the playoffs to get San Diego and Pittsburgh to waste time game planning for Abe. Jets knew John wouldn't be available until The AFC Championship at best.

By the way, Clayton interviewed ESPN analyst Randy Mueller and they both feel that The Jets need to get atleast a 1 and a 3 for Abraham. Clayton says that several NFL teams have already contacted The Jets about Abraham. Didn't say who but it's gotta be teams with cap room.

it's nice to know his teammates like him. it does'nt change the fact that he was talking out of both sides of his mouth in regards to being F-tagged. maybe if cotchery had been around for some of abraham's late season/playoff no shows, "warrior" might not have be his choice of words when describing him. still, i think the jets should keep the "warrior," unless we get blown away with a trade offer.

They don't called the biggest crap shoot in sports for nothing. Sometimes these college kids have alot of ability but it just doesn't transfer over on the field in the NFL.

Being good or even great @ the NCAA level doesn't guarantee you will do well in the NFL.

Unless we get a deal that is too good to be true. We have to keep abe and get him on the field.

Yeah, Smizz, but Abe is a pussy.

Didn't you hear, man? The Jets are having a firesale on pussies this offseason.

Screw Abe. I'm tired of him getting injured or "catching the flu" when his team needs him the most. We don't need guys that care more about themselves than they care about the team. We need more Vilmas, not more John Abrahams. The Jets can use whatever pick they get to plug needs with a potential impact player, and they can use #26 to bring in Matt Roth to replace Johnny Von Pussy.

Seems Abe doesn't WANT to be on the field....at least not for US, not if we don't acquiesce to his demands for a long-term deal right now. And we ALL know why he wants that deal now...he knows he cannot make it through a whole season unhurt.

The worst case scenario is pretty bad: The Jets keep Abe, he holds out (who knows how long, doesn;t really matter), and when he comes back he isn't in game shape (because of the holdout, a common situation in holdouts) and in his first game back.....out he goes with another of his "injuries-of-the-week". Bam! No Abe in 2005.

So we get nothing. No picks, no Abe, nothing.

Screw him. If we can get a 1st and a Third, I take it, and draft Merriman or one of the other high-ranked rush D-Ends. We have a competant run-stopper in Thomas (although he's obvioulsy no pass-rusher) and we can grrom the new rush DE slowly if we wish.

Or we can sign Abe, give him what he wants, and cry softly into our beers when he gets another leg injury in week 2 that keeps him out for most of 2005....more money down the drain.

The guy has worlds of talent, but is he worth all that risk? I don't know, I admit that. I sure hope herm and Bradway know.

The worst case scenario is pretty bad: The Jets keep Abe, he holds out (who knows how long, doesn;t really matter), and when he comes back he isn't in game shape (because of the holdout, a common situation in holdouts) and in his first game back.....out he goes with another of his "injuries-of-the-week". Bam! No Abe in 2005.

That's my concern. Whether it's the first week or not, Abe will not be in game shape when he first shows up here. He will take the opportunity to miss all the two-a-days that all NFL'ers hate.

A #1 and a #3 would be great. There's a lot of talk about the 'boys and the Vikes, and a deal that includes either the 18th or 20th pick in the draft would be fine with me. Throw in a third: Terrific!

Not only that, but they'd have more than enough in extra cap room after moving him to comfortably bring in another player in the Eric Barton range. They could find and pay a DT, CB, S, etc., that fills a need on the roster today, and with the extra picks, Terry could take his time a take value. Knowing that he has another pick coming up that he can force later. '04 was his best draft ever, and I'm sure the extra picks helped. It's when he's missing picks that he forces them on stiffs like Hobson and Askew.

I hope he can bleed more out of someone. We'll see. The announcement that "they're listening" is usually a prelude to "he's been dealt."

This has happened before with franchise players.

If Abraham is a Jet next season. He'll be ready for the regular season.

Orlando Pace, Chris McAlister,Charles Woodson and many others have gone through the same type of thing. If they don't get traded or a team doesn't sign them to an offer sheet.

They sign right before the regular season starts. Abraham will be healthy. He's working out right now. He doesn't need the preseason.

This has happened before with franchise players.

If Abraham is a Jet next season. He'll be ready for the regular season.

Orlando Pace, Chris McAlister,Charles Woodson and many others have gone through the same type of thing. If they don't get traded or a team doesn't sign them to an offer sheet.

They sign right before the regular season starts. Abraham will be healthy. He's working out right now. He doesn't need the preseason.

Here's the difference, YJ. Abe is a finesse player who relies on speed playing in the pits. Factor in a huge injury history, and you have a recipe for disaster. Running the steps in South Carolina's football stadium is not going to help him get ready to do what Abe has to do. Also, Woodson always sits out the pre-season, and Woodson always gets hurt, a la Abe. Not so sure you want to include him as a counter-example.

lets assume Abraham does return next season

if he gets injured again and misses any significant amount of time his value in the offseason would likely plummet.

or he could have a great season, stay heathy, and his value goes up

Bradways the GM, hopefully he plays his cards right.

lets assume Abraham does return next season

if he gets injured again and misses any significant amount of time his value in the offseason would likely plummet.

or he could have a great season, stay heathy, and his value goes up

Bradways the GM, hopefully he plays his cards right.

Or, he sprains an ankle in Week 12 and every member of the media and every Jets fan in New York have to spend 5-6 weeks screaming about Abraham willingly not playing to protect his next contract. It's a no win situation bringing Abe back.

smizzy - i have never heard 'mdd' before but i think you coined the term. and yes, it happens every year.

the trade abe/keep abe debate horse is pretty much dead and i am not trying to rekindle the debate. but given the comments of cotchery there is a chance that abe was actually hurt and the jets forced sd and pitt to prepare for abe and then played a completely different d-fense.

imagine that the initial report on abe was that he was out for 8 weeks - which was the actual diagnosis. it changes the debate entirely. yeah, abe screwed up b/f the oakland game and then paid dearly for a similar mistake in '03. he is finally clean and having a monster year b/f a freak knee injury. give the man a break, he has been a model citizen since the dwi. with abe on the field the '05 jet d is top 3 in the nfl.

the trade abe/keep abe debate horse is pretty much dead and i am not trying to rekindle the debate. but given the comments of cotchery there is a chance that abe was actually hurt and the jets forced sd and pitt to prepare for abe and then played a completely different d-fense.

imagine that the initial report on abe was that he was out for 8 weeks - which was the actual diagnosis. it changes the debate entirely. yeah, abe screwed up b/f the oakland game and then paid dearly for a similar mistake in '03. he is finally clean and having a monster year b/f a freak knee injury. give the man a break, he has been a model citizen since the dwi. with abe on the field the '05 jet d is top 3 in the nfl.

You know what, bro? Here's my problem with that thinking. If Abe was seriously hurt and couldn't go--and I mean REALLY couldn't suit up and even give us three plays against the Steelers--then somebody somewhere would have definitively been able to say "Abe is shot." No way Abe or his agents are going to let the media destroy him like they did for two full weeks without at least ONE person besides TITI-Herm coming out and providing something to take the heat off of Abe. James Andrews said "He's not fully healed" which is not the same as saying "Abe cannot play." This crap you're hearing two months later is entirely revisionist, and it's just boyz looking out for boyz, IMO.

You know what, bro? Here's my problem with that thinking. If Abe was seriously hurt and couldn't go--and I mean REALLY couldn't suit up and even give us three plays against the Steelers--then somebody somewhere would have definitively been able to say "Abe is shot." No way Abe or his agents are going to let the media destroy him like they did for two full weeks without at least ONE person besides TITI-Herm coming out and providing something to take the heat off of Abe. James Andrews said "He's not fully healed" which is not the same as saying "Abe cannot play." This crap you're hearing two months later is entirely revisionist, and it's just boyz looking out for boyz, IMO.

that is a fair point. i am after all an abe apologist. the jets have not had a game changing defensive player like this since #99.

however, look at what is happening w/lavar arrington in dc. he rushed to come back from a knee and has since reqired another surgery and missed what amounted to an entire season. you may not question his heart but he cost the team and if he was going into a contract year, like abe, would have cost himself a contract. hindsight is always 20-20. and looking back, both the redskins and lavarr regret the decision to rush back.

I think for Abe...You get a 1st and third from a team who has a first round pick in the top 13. Dallas' 11th pick plus their 3rd round pick sounds perfect. Everyone knows that Parcells is throwing caution to the wind to get the Cowboys to WIN this year. He is probably leaving after this year and watching Belichek win again must be driving him mad. Dallas will attempt to get Abraham right before the draft.

If we can get their 1st and third...we do it.

LL

You know what, bro? Here's my problem with that thinking. If Abe was seriously hurt and couldn't go--and I mean REALLY couldn't suit up and even give us three plays against the Steelers.

You make a very good point TS.

You have an top 3 DE who impacts the way an offensive game plan is designed.

Was Cowher's job made a bit easier just knowing Abe was not going to suit up? You bet it was.

By suiting up and maybe playing only 3 plays, that forces the opposition to have contingencies ready.

Archived