Attention Sociologists: New SURVIVOR to add a wrinkle

SouthernJet

New 'Survivor' Divides Groups by Race

LOS ANGELES - Get ready for a segregated "Survivor." Race will matter on the upcoming season of the CBS show as contestants will be divided into four tribes by ethnicity. That means blacks, whites, Latinos and Asians in separate groups.

The announcement was made on CBS' Early Show. Host Jeff Probst says the idea "actually came from the criticism that 'Survivor' was not ethnically diverse enough." He says the twist fits in perfectly with what "Survivor" does, saying the show is "a social experiment. And this is adding another layer to that experiment." Probst says contestants had mixed reactions to the racial divisions.

This time the new Survivors are stranded on the Cook Islands in the South Pacific. The castaways include a police officer, a heavy metal guitarist, an attorney and a nail salon manager. The new season of Survivor debuts September 14th.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060823/ap_on_en_tv/survivor

capt.8807d9ce08244ec388426a25e3642f3b.survivor_cook_islands_la201.jpg?x=380&y=253&sig=080IVdjIvpsHBKuKNfUGKQ--[url=http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060823/capt.8807d9ce08244ec388426a25e3642f3b.survivor_cook_islands_la201.jpg?x=380&y=253&sig=080IVdjIvpsHBKuKNfUGKQ--]

I think this is something that is going to get some serious ratings. I think I've watched a total of 20 minutes of survivor since it started, but this is a very gutsy/controversial move by the network. I might actually tune in to see how it unfolds.

This is kind of/sort of "political" no?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

political? u have to be kidding,,

if this gets pulled I may have to make friends with JI and TGG again :)

but then again u r from Boston,, the land of PC

The Italian Americans need their own team. I don't see why we should be forced to take on the weak links in "the white race" and carry them on our backs.

POTW

italians are decendants of african blacks.

when napolean conquered the ivory coast, the natives jumped into the adriatic sea and swam to what is today sicaly. the sun and salt water faded their skin tone a bit, as well as changed their dark hair from nappy to brillo

pick up a history book

The Italian Americans need their own team. I don't see why we should be forced to take on the weak links in "the white race" and carry them on our backs.

the italians would lose all the swimming events...there gold chains would drown them:p

give me a "w"

give me an "h"

give me an "I"

give me a "t"

give me an "e"

what does it spell? GO WHITES!!!

I love reality tv, especially survivor. so sj, who works in your building?

The black dude Ted,, the one who got in a shouting match with that other black chick.

He is a big Jets fan also by the way...

I believe Dennis Hopper explained all this to Chrisopher Walken in "True Romance", though not as politely.

romance.jpg

Mark Burnett is a genius. Everyone is talking about it. While I haven't watched that show since 9/11, he's given a tired format new life.

Think if the Italians get their own team, we Irish should too. Enough of your silly contests. You got some beautiful beachfront here; stop standing on those logs for hours and build a fire with them. Go down to the beer distributor/package store/7-11/Target, get us some beer, a big cooler, ice, beach chairs and a hibachi and some meat. Sit down, grab a brew and STFU. Give us about 2 hours and we'll be ready to fight; probably with each other first.

Archived