MATT JONES

Green Jets & Ham

Would you select Matt Jones at 26 overall?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would you select Matt Jones at 26 overall?

• YES ... his upside is too enormous to pass on at 26
    • Gotta see who's on the board, but I like the idea of Jones at 26
    • Gotta see who's on the board, but I'm not crazy about the idea
    • NO ... never draft a project in RD 1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ham, pretend you are terry bradway for me

its april 23rd, jets are on the clock, ONLY heath miller and matt jones are on the board

A gun is held to your heas, all loaded and ready to fire................who do you choose?? YOUR JOB IS ON THE LINE

If I were in that position I would take Matt Jones in a heartbeat, because my desire to do something GREAT would overwhelm my desire to play it safe and hang on to my job

Also, while I would fear the risk of drafting Matt Jones to some extent {I'd be stupid if I didn't recognize the risk involved} ... that fear would be trumped only by my fear of NOT drafting Matt Jones and watching him reach his ceiling elsewhere

I am WAY MORE afraid of the latter than the former ... not even close ... because I can invision his ceiling as being OUT OF THIS WORLD

It's OK to gamble on greatness, particularly when you have a fairly solid team, which the Jets do at this point.

WR isn't a need in round 1 for the Jets, but a 1st round WR wouldn't be a complete waste either.

If Matt Jones is everything Ham thinks he is, and his head's screwed on straight, it's a reasonable pick for the Jets to make as a gamble on greatness--- make no mistake that's just what it is, a GAMBLE, because there's a lot of questions with this guy, and any reasonable expectation would put significant production from him as several years down the road.... but it can be justified.

I don't expect it to happen for two reasons.

1) Bradway's job is a heck of a lot more secure than it used to be, but when you get down to it he's a coward, and I don't think he'll pass on a more conventional pick for Jones in round 1. He'll take Barron, Miller, or Miller if available over Jones, easy--- and there's a great argument that that's the right move to boot.

2) You want to hand over the coaching of a 1st round raw prospect with virtually no experience at a position that requires precision and dedication to Herm Freaking Edwards??? Sure, Heimerdinger is a solid OC who has overseen the development of Bennett, Mason, and McCareins.... but any time Herm Edwards is involved you have to think long and hard....

I didn't say that.

What I am trying to point out is that IF the Jets take him they shouldn't expect any impact in 2005, a small one in 2006, and should only start to expect serious production in 2007 even if he is everything promised.

You take a WR for 3 years down the line, not the following year. Everyone should just be aware of that.

fair enough about year one. still the jets don't have hackett anymore. dinger likes to put people in position to make plays. i know that sounds simple, but any jet fan can tell you that's not how uncle paulie did things. this kid (yes, in year one) can big a real weapon with dinger right out of the gates. you're a patriot fan. you should now how many problems can be caused with mismatches & creativity.

Funny you should mention that, J13

Some folks, and I'm referring to the ones who know full well what Matt Jones upside is, are still willing to take a pass because they view him as a WR and they say we don't need a WR

Now there aren't many of those, but I'm sure you have encountered that position as well

Well dig this ...

The reason Portland passed on Jordan was because they didn't need another Guard ... they already had their fair share of Guards ... what they need was a Center, so they opted for Bowie

But wait, it get better ... prior to the draft the Blazers GM was warned by his good friend Bobby Knight

Knight called him and specifically told him the pick was a no-brainer ... you have to take Michael Jordan

The Blazers GM proceeded to explain to Bobby Knight that he couldn't take Jordan because he didn't need another Guard ... told Knight he was taking Sam Bowie because they desperately needed a Center

Well here's the kicker ...

Bob Knight, making one last attempt to talk some sense into his friend, tried to frame it another way in response to his friends expressed concern

IS THAT IT ... Knight said ... THE REASON YOU ARE PASSING ON JORDAN IS BECAUSE YOU NEED A CENTER?

OKAY, Knight said ... IN THAT CASE DRAFT MICHAEL JORDAN AND PLAY HIM AT CENTER FOR ALL I GIVE A $HIT, BUT YOU HAVE TO DRAFT MICHAEL JORDAN!! :lol:

Well you know the rest of the story ... the Blazers GM, in spite of his friends every attempt to convince him otherwise, stuck to his guns and addressed the Blazers biggest "need"

And the Chicago Bulls were eternally grateful

That's a wonderful story and an excellent post.

Love the theory of "going for greatness". There is only one problem here.

Michael Jordan was a great basketball player in college. He was a great guard.

Matt Jones was not a great WR or TE. He was never a WR, He was never a TE. He wasn't even a great QB.

I would consider taking Jones depending on who else is on the board at the time of the pick but I'd take him knowing full well that I am taking a huge gamble.

Don't expect The "White Randy Moss". Randy Moss was a big time college WR. Matt Jones didn't even run one single route in college.

Matt Jones was not a great WR or TE. He was never a WR, He was never a TE. He wasn't even a great QB.

I would consider taking Jones depending on who else is on the board at the time of the pick but I'd take him knowing full well that I am taking a huge gamble.

Don't expect The "White Randy Moss". Randy Moss was a big time college WR. Matt Jones didn't even run one single route in college.

As usual YJF is dead on.

If you take him it should be full well knowing that it's a huge gamble.

is that why rookies start all the time?? or why QB's for years have been switching to WR at the pro level?? WR is an instintive position. run, catch & run some more. of course you need to learn to read NFL D's, but please... :wtf:

And you need to learn the offense of the team you're playing for and all that. Yeah, rookies start, but how often do they do well? In their rookie year. Randy Moss? He also had Reed and Carter. The odds are against a rookie WR doing well, and Randy Moss, as we've learned, is the best WR out there today, and is a rare talent.

As for Matt Jones, while he may be great, is he worth a first round gamble? I mean, look at it like this. Do you have faith in the coaches, the GM, and the scouts to draft well? Sure, they take the gamble on Jones, but then you still have needs elsewhere.

As usual YJF is dead on.

If you take him it should be full well knowing that it's a huge gamble.

Thanks RS. I think Matt Jones is an amazing talent and I'd be ok with The Jets taking him. He's got first round talent. No question about it.

But you gotta know what you are getting into if you take him.

He could develop into one of the most dangerous gamebreakers in all of football. Then again, He could fall flat on his face and fail to make the transition to The NFL.

It's either super boom or super bust with this player. There's no middle ground and you probably won't know for sure until a couple of years.

Right.

and it would be hypocritical for me to ridicule the idea outright: Belichick took Ben Watson and IMO that was fairly clearly a "gamble on greatness".

He took Watson with a team with fewer holes and more picks than the Jets have.... but the principle remains the same: sometimes it's fine to take a big roll of the dice when the rewards are high enough.

I agree that Jones is an acceptable pick for the Jets, he's just a risky one.

antonio gates never played college football. but because he's an amazing talent, he learned how to play football in the NFL. jones is more talented, hands down. he will learn to be a star as well.

who would be the can't miss type player we would be leaving on the board at 26?? from reports, are new LT is already on the roster. as we found out with d (#4 pick in the draft) robertson, even stud interior lineman need time to become ballplayers. so a DT, surely would'nt have more impact year one, than a dinger coached freak of nature.

again, talent is a great equalizer. because he has yet to do it, does not lead me to believe he won't. aside for moss, who can you compare this kid's (6'6"/240+/sub 4.4 speed) talent & size with??

Right.

and it would be hypocritical for me to ridicule the idea outright: Belichick took Ben Watson and IMO that was fairly clearly a "gamble on greatness".

He took Watson with a team with fewer holes and more picks than the Jets have.... but the principle remains the same: sometimes it's fine to take a big roll of the dice when the rewards are high enough.

I agree that Jones is an acceptable pick for the Jets, he's just a risky one.

you gotta bring a$$ to get a$$.

Bottom Line: It is entirely possible that a couple of years from now Matt Jones will look like the best player from the 2005 draft ... the guy who in retrospect should have been the #1 Overall Pick

Of the players who figure to get drafted outside of the TOP 15, there is no bigger candidate for the award than Matt Jones

Faba, check this out my friend ... same goes for my friends TS, EB, 80, and others who are concerned about the position switch

Art Monk

Drew Bennett

Hines Ward

Antwan Randal EL

Former Cowboy Great, Drew Pearson

Just a few names off the top of my head ... all College QB's who made the transition from QB to WR in the Pros ... and not a one of them could hold a candle to Matt Jones size/speed ratio, which has no frame of reference in NFL history because there has never been a WR {or TE} who possessed the same

Closest thing is Randy Moss,

but while Moss is even faster than Matt Jones, MJ is the much bigger of the two {6' 6"/242} and he runs in the 4.3's

Ham, all of the above actually played and and prospered at WR while still in college.

QUESTION

How many of you guys are old enough to remember {vividly} watching the draft the day we passed on Dan Marino?

If you don't remember what that felt like ... watching him become a phenom ... trust me on this one, you don't ever wanna know how that feels

But I'm gonna share it with you so you can get an idea

For me that always stuck in my craw ... killed me for 15 Years ... I mean, Just made me sick to my stomach everytime I thought about it (and how could you not when Marino was in your face 24/7 as he became a phenom)

I swear to you, my friends ... if it was my call I would NEVER allow that to happen again ... I never want to live through that type of mistake again

Having said that, I KNOW Matt Jones can become a dominant player and an absolute phenom ... I KNOW IT CAN HAPPEN, and I suspect some of you know it as well ... so I CANNOT pass on this player at 26 while knowing that ... I CAN'T DO IT ... I cannot live with that for 15 Years when I KNEW it was a distinct possibility

Honestly, I would rather draft this player and have him bust, then take a pass {knowing what I know} and have to watch him reach his ceiling with some other team ... that would torture me

We passed on Marino because of the cocaine rumors, I thought.

EXACTLY

I'd rather trade down and accumlate more draft picks then use a 1st rd pick on a TOTALLY unproven reciever.

We passed on Marino because of the cocaine rumors, I thought.

It sounds like sarcasm, but it's true: They didn't consider Marino to be bright enough to handle the nose-picker's offense. He had a small Wonderlic.

I can't believe the uproar over this workout warrior. This guy that hasn't played a lick of wide reciever in his life is supposed to be the next Randy Moss because he's 6'5 and ran a 4.3 forty time? The guys that made successful transitions from college QB to pro wide reciever that are mentioned in this thread (Ward, Randle El, Bennett) all have the same thing in common: They weren't first round draft picks and they weren't projected as the next big thing. How is Matt Jones supposed to live up to such high expectations when he's annointed as the new pope before he has played a down of professional football, AT A POSITION HE'S NEVER PLAYED BEFORE.

This team came extremely close to the Super Bowl. We need to use the draft to add more pieces to the puzzle, not pick a project that we can develop for three or four years down the road. We can draft Matt Jones at 26, but by the time he's ready to contribute, if ever, Chad Pennington probably won't be our quarterback anymore because he will be splattered on the grass at Gilette Stadium from the time Adrian Jones tried to block Richard Seymour.

We were SOCLOSE last year. Why anyone would want to piss away our window of opportunity to draft an unproven project that has just as much a chance of being the next David Boston as he does of being the next Antonio Gates?

I can't believe the uproar over this workout warrior. This guy that hasn't played a lick of wide reciever in his life is supposed to be the next Randy Moss because he's 6'5 and ran a 4.3 forty time? The guys that made successful transitions from college QB to pro wide reciever that are mentioned in this thread (Ward, Randle El, Bennett) all have the same thing in common: They weren't first round draft picks and they weren't projected as the next big thing. How is Matt Jones supposed to live up to such high expectations when he's annointed as the new pope before he has played a down of professional football, AT A POSITION HE'S NEVER PLAYED BEFORE.

This team came extremely close to the Super Bowl. We need to use the draft to add more pieces to the puzzle, not pick a project that we can develop for three or four years down the road. We can draft Matt Jones at 26, but by the time he's ready to contribute, if ever, Chad Pennington probably won't be our quarterback anymore because he will be splattered on the grass at Gilette Stadium from the time Adrian Jones tried to block Richard Seymour.

We were SOCLOSE last year. Why anyone would want to piss away our window of opportunity to draft an unproven project that has just as much a chance of being the next David Boston as he does of being the next Antonio Gates?

surely you have the can't miss help right away guy??? let me guess. someone to fight for time at nickel?? oh i know, i know!! somebody to add to the DT rotation!! :?

surely you have the can't miss help right away guy??? let me guess. someone to fight for time at nickel?? oh i know, i know!! somebody to add to the DT rotation!! :?

How about somebody that's going to come in and help immediately and not take 5 years to develop? How about somebody that's actually played the ******* position we draft him at before?

gee, that sounds great...WHO!?!

I'm not Nostradamus. I don't know exactly who is going to be there at 26, but someone like Matt Roth, Justin Miller, Heath Miller or DeMarcus Ware can all pay immediate dividends. Also if one of the top three tackles (Brown, Barron, Barnes) is there, that makes the pick a no-brainer.

I'm not Nostradamus. I don't know exactly who is going to be there at 26, but someone like Matt Roth, Justin Miller, Heath Miller or DeMarcus Ware can all pay immediate dividends. Also if one of the top three tackles (Brown, Barron, Barnes) is there, that makes the pick a no-brainer.

Good points, all.

and mark my words, Justin Miller, Heath Miller, Big Three Tackles.... at a minimum one of those guys is there, and quite likely two or three of 'em.

I think the better argument here is for one of those five guys. I think it's valid to have Matt Jones on the board, particularly if the Jets trade down or are in a "worst case scenario" at 26...

but GJ and Bit's latest mock has Miller, Miller, and Barnes there at 26. Rich Gosselin's latest mock has Miller, Miller, and Barron available at 26.

Heath Miller can be a 500 yard TE for you guys next year if things break moderately well. He can be a cornerstone at a position where it seems like you guys have NEVER had serious talent.

Justin Miller can be that rock-solid CB you guys haven't had since Glenn was sent packing to Houston, and he can make you forget about Santana Moss's returning ability to boot.

Barnes or Barron can keep Pennington alive, healthy, and give him time to throw to Coles and McCareins.

Matt Jones could be great in a few years...

Remember this--- NO DRAFT PROSPECT IS EVER A SURE THING. EVER. EVER. EVER.

Obviously some are surer things than others though.

There's a case that if you're really optimistic on Jones that the "Gamble on Greatness" is the right move to make over Miller, Miller, or an OT.

At the same time the odds of getting a high-end player are higher with those three guys, even if you believe the odds of getting a superstar are lower.... and Jones is a few years out, minimum.

If you think the Jets really have a window of opportunity--- and poor offseason thus far or not I'm thinking again that that is the case--- then taking Jones at 26 doesn't make a ton of sense for you guys. You never take a guy just for instant impact in the draft... but particularly if you're a playoff team it helps to take a guy who CAN have some real impact in his first two years.

The Jets WILL NOT take an OT in the first round.

Again...

1.) Terry's never taken an OL higher than the third round.

2.) The Jets drafted 2 OT's last year, actually planning for the loss of McKenzie.

3.) Under Bradwards, the Jets have never started an offensive rookie. So even if they aren't sold on Jones or Cavka, they'll go in the direction of a veteran, not another pick.

The pick, if he's still on the board, is DT Luis Castillo. Bradway loves defensive linemen, taking them every year, twice with #1 picks. Last year was the first year that he didn't take a DT, and he now has a glaring hole on the DL where Jason Ferguson used to be. The fact that he was offering just about what the Cowboys paid shows just how important that position is to them. Just as he came close to matching Jordan, and responded with an expensive Blaylock. There's been no such replcement brought in for Fergy. Legree might be a nice player, but he's swingman depth. That's it.

Heath Miller's a possibility, unfortunately, but I'm hoping he resists the urge to keep the Jets at a Becht-like level at TE. The CB's are possible, too, but there're enough of them in this draft to wait until the second or third to take a guy to develop.

Luis will step in and start right away.

The Jets WILL NOT take an OT in the first round.

Again...

1.) Terry's never taken an OL higher than the third round.

2.) The Jets drafted 2 OT's last year, actually planning for the loss of McKenzie.

3.) Under Bradwards, the Jets have never started an offensive rookie. So even if they aren't sold on Jones or Cavka, they'll go in the direction of a veteran, not another pick.

The pick, if he's still on the board, is DT Luis Castillo. Bradway loves defensive linemen, taking them every year, twice with #1 picks. Last year was the first year that he didn't take a DT, and he now has a glaring hole on the DL where Jason Ferguson used to be. The fact that he was offering just about what the Cowboys paid shows just how important that position is to them. Just as he came close to matching Jordan, and responded with an expensive Blaylock. There's been no such replcement brought in for Fergy. Legree might be a nice player, but he's swingman depth. That's it.

Heath Miller's a possibility, unfortunately, but I'm hoping he resists the urge to keep the Jets at a Becht-like level at TE. The CB's are possible, too, but there're enough of them in this draft to wait until the second or third to take a guy to develop.

Luis will step in and start right away.

Slats, in Terry's last two years in KC, the organization drafted tackles in the first round back-to-back. John Tait and Victor Rogers. Not that Terry actually made the call on those picks, but t least it gives us some history as to what might influence Terry. You could also say that in Terry's 4 years here there has never been a more desperate need for a tackle. Fabini is probably already shot and there is no RT ready to play. If, somehow, Alex Barron is sitting there, Terry will be skewered for not picking him.

They will not take an OT in the first round. I doubt they'll take one on the first day. They'll be content to go with Jones/Cavka until it doesn't look like that's working. If that happens, it will be after the draft. At that time, they'll go for the vet.

I'm sure of it.

Matt Jones is going in the first, too. :wink:

6'6"/240+ pound football players, who run sub 4.4's are not "projects." they are stars in waiting. scott frost...cut it out, will ya. jones & frost might as well be from different planets. [-X

Are you Matt Jones's brother or agent or something? Good gawd, you're on his jock an awful lot for someone who hasn't done a damn thing anywhere.

Are you Matt Jones's brother or agent or something? Good gawd, you're on his jock an awful lot for someone who hasn't done a damn thing anywhere.

let me try & guess who you are...a jet fan who does'nt have the b*lls to make a move unless most fellow jet fans agree on it. sorry, not my style.

let me try & guess who you are...a jet fan who does'nt have the b*lls to make a move unless most fellow jet fans agree on it. sorry, not my style.

Hmmm, no, not exactly. My style is more to not draft workout warriors who haven't accomplished anything in their whole life. Taking a chance is one thing. Commiting suicide is quite another. Drafting anyone is taking a chance. But, who is Matt Jones? What has he done? I mean, yeah, he's 6'6" and can run real fast. Other than that, what does he have? What has he done? It's not about lacking b@lls or any of that. It's about being dumb or not. Jones is a huge gamble. He's very much boom or bust. But, he was a QB in college. He didn't do anything else in college, besides play QB. He didn't play WR. He didn't play TE. Hey, he's 6'6" and can run real fast, why not put him at saftey or linebacker? Makes as much sense as putting him at TE or WR.

Archived