MATT JONES

Green Jets & Ham

Would you select Matt Jones at 26 overall?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would you select Matt Jones at 26 overall?

• YES ... his upside is too enormous to pass on at 26
    • Gotta see who's on the board, but I like the idea of Jones at 26
    • Gotta see who's on the board, but I'm not crazy about the idea
    • NO ... never draft a project in RD 1

Hmmm, no, not exactly. My style is more to not draft workout warriors who haven't accomplished anything in their whole life. Taking a chance is one thing. Commiting suicide is quite another. Drafting anyone is taking a chance. But, who is Matt Jones? What has he done? I mean, yeah, he's 6'6" and can run real fast. Other than that, what does he have? What has he done? It's not about lacking b@lls or any of that. It's about being dumb or not. Jones is a huge gamble. He's very much boom or bust. But, he was a QB in college. He didn't do anything else in college, besides play QB. He didn't play WR. He didn't play TE. Hey, he's 6'6" and can run real fast, why not put him at saftey or linebacker? Makes as much sense as putting him at TE or WR.

i guess talent needs to fall on you head for you to see it. sucks for you. if you think taking jones is "dumb," god bless you.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great post, Shadow.

I've heard all this crap about how huge Jones is and how fast he can run, but you know what people never mention? His HANDS. Seems to me that's a pretty damn important element to being a wide reciever or a tight end. What difference does it make if he's build like David Boston, runs like Santana Moss, and has hands like Anthony Becht?

I'm just shocked that Ham, of all people, is in love with this player simply because of his measureables.

Great post, Shadow.

I've heard all this crap about how huge Jones is and how fast he can run, but you know what people never mention? His HANDS. Seems to me that's a pretty damn important element to being a wide reciever or a tight end. What difference does it make if he's build like David Boston, runs like Santana Moss, and has hands like Anthony Becht?

I'm just shocked that Ham, of all people, is in love with this player simply because of his measureables.

Thanks Troll. I'm right there with you. And, I hadn't heard of him, to be honest, before the workouts. You talked about his hands. Yes, those are important. Not only in catching, but in blocking and getting off of jams too. And, if he's dumber than a brick, how in the world is he going to learn?

i guess talent needs to fall on you head for you to see it. sucks for you. if you think taking jones is "dumb," god bless you.

Drafting Jones is dumb. He's not a talent. He's nothing. He's a QB who couldn't be QB, so we'll try him elsewhere. That's not talent, that's just having measurables. He can run real fast. That's not a talent, in a manner of speaking. This isn't track and field. This is football. He's 6'6". That's not a talent. That's genetics. He's not being drafted to jump over things. He's being drafted to play football. He's not a 'player'. That has yet to be proven. He hasn't taken one snap at tight end or wide receiver. Hell, like I said earlier, why not put him at saftey or linebacker? Why not at corner? He's fast and big, surely he hits hard. I mean, I'm sure he can cover well too. I mean damn, he's gotta be a ballhawk. He's 6'6" and can run a 4.3 fourty!

Great post, Shadow.

he's graded out very well hands wise, in every workout i've heard or read about. maybe you're to wrapped up in the sorry a$$ cubs to have noticed.

Great post, Shadow.

exactly. Matt Jones has never done ANYTHING as a reciever, yet you'd want to draft him over a tight end with GREAT HANDS like heath miller???

he's graded out very well hands wise, in every workout i've heard or read about. maybe you're to wrapped up in the sorry a$$ cubs to have noticed.

Wow... another measurable. So, he passed a test with his hands? Which, I shall remind you, has nothing to do with any game situations. He hasn't proven jack, and the burden of proof is on the Matt Jones lovers to prove why he's a good gamble. Being 6'6" and running fast isn't proof. Those are just workout numbers which don't translate to anything.

To chime in (again) there will be wide receivers taken this year who have played 4 years of college ball at wide receiver in the NCAA who have made All-America teams, All-Conference teams, have had dominant games at the NCAA level who will come into the NFL and not know jack-sh*t about playing WR at this level. Another David Terrell, for instance. And those guys were schooled every day for four years in how to be a better WR in college. And we're expecting Matt Jones who NEVER played WR in college because he DIDN'T WANT TO play WR in college to come in and be an All-Pro, or even be good in his first three years? Come on now!

To chime in (again) there will be wide receivers taken this year who have played 4 years of college ball at wide receiver in the NCAA who have made All-America teams, All-Conference teams, have had dominant games at the NCAA level who will come into the NFL and not know jack-Sh#t about playing WR at this level. Another David Terrell, for instance. And those guys were schooled every day for four years in how to be a better WR in college. And we're expecting Matt Jones who NEVER played WR in college because he DIDN'T WANT TO play WR in college to come in and be an All-Pro, or even be good in his first three years? Come on now!
hey tom, what position did antonio gates play in college?

Being a WR and being a receiving TE are two different positions, my man. And Gates is still very much a work in progress and I guarantee you that Matt Jones can't move like Antonio Gates can in short spaces.

To chime in (again) there will be wide receivers taken this year who have played 4 years of college ball at wide receiver in the NCAA who have made All-America teams, All-Conference teams, have had dominant games at the NCAA level who will come into the NFL and not know jack-Sh#t about playing WR at this level. Another David Terrell, for instance. And those guys were schooled every day for four years in how to be a better WR in college. And we're expecting Matt Jones who NEVER played WR in college because he DIDN'T WANT TO play WR in college to come in and be an All-Pro, or even be good in his first three years? Come on now!

That's another good point Tom. A very good point.

One example out of how many that have failed? Nice try.

While Gates has played adequately, in the passing game, can he block? Sure he makes nice, pretty catches, but does he go into traffic? Like Tom said, he's still a work in progress.

Wow... another measurable. So, he passed a test with his hands? Which, I shall remind you, has nothing to do with any game situations. He hasn't proven jack, and the burden of proof is on the Matt Jones lovers to prove why he's a good gamble. Being 6'6" and running fast isn't proof. Those are just workout numbers which don't translate to anything.

what is completly going over you head is this guy is a great talent. he does'nt "run fast," 4.3 is flying at any size. at 6'6"/240, it's unheard of. but hey, go ahead & hope we draft a corner to fight for time at nickel. or a DT to join that rotation. i want to draft a future star with our late 1st rounder. not just depth.

what is completly going over you head is this guy is a great talent. he does'nt "run fast," 4.3 is flying at any size. at 6'6"/240, it's unheard of. but hey, go ahead & hope we draft a corner to fight for time at nickel. or a DT to join that rotation. i want to draft a future star with our late 1st rounder. not just depth.

What's flying totally over your head is that is NOT talent! He has track speed. Wow, that's great. That's not football talent! He's 6'6". That's not talent! being 240 pounds is not a talent.

And, you're also missing my other point. I'm not about drafting a nickle corner or a DT for the rotation. Where have I once said what my draft position is? My position is, was, and always will be BAP. I just don't believe that Jones is the BAP. That's what you're missing.

Being a WR and being a receiving TE are two different positions, my man. And Gates is still very much a work in progress and I guarantee you that Matt Jones can't move like Antonio Gates can in short spaces.

of course they are different positions. still, gates never played college football & he broke a TD record for TE's last year. wait til he learns how to play. a great athelete can learn to do anything if he wants to. jones will too. here, or someplace else.

of course they are different positions. still, gates never played college football & he broke a TD record for TE's last year. wait til he learns how to play. a great athelete can learn to do anything if he wants to. jones will too. here, or someplace else.

Gates was lightning striking twice. If you're saying Matt Jones will be good basing it on another player who has nothing to with with the other is stupid.

ALRIGHT! This website is going to be around for a long time, so I'm laying it down like this:

I WILL BET A JETNATION T-SHIRT that NEXT SEASON, 2005-2006, Matt Jones catches less than 20 passes all year and less than 5 TD's.

If he catches more than or equal to those numbers, I will send Jetgreen13 AND GreenJets&Ham a JetNation T.

If he catches less than that, then those two have to put in their signatures: "EricBarton is a draft guru to the EXTREME."

ALRIGHT! This website is going to be around for a long time, so I'm laying it down like this:

I WILL BET A JETNATION T-SHIRT that NEXT SEASON, 2005-2006, Matt Jones catches less than 20 passes all year and less than 5 TD's.

If he catches more than or equal to those numbers, I will send Jetgreen13 AND GreenJets&Ham a JetNation T.

If he catches less than that, then those two have to put in their signatures: "EricBarton is a draft guru to the EXTREME."

Now Tom, that's a solid bet, right there. I won't take you up on it, since we're actually on the same side of an arguement. And, I'm on the same side as EB. Talk about your strange bedfellows :lol:

What's flying totally over your head is that is NOT talent! He has track speed.

you have no clue. if you want to say he can't learn to play WR, fine. i would disagree, but fine. to say he not a talent & he has track speed?? foolishness!! he's a division one football player who will be drafted no lower than the early 2nd round. not a track star. go back to the herd, little sheep.

ts, i'm an XL. thanks. :D

you have no clue. if you want to say he can't learn to play WR, fine. i would disagree, but fine. to say he not a talent & he has track speed?? foolishness!! he's a division one football player who will be drafted no lower than the early 2nd round. not a track star. go back to the herd, little sheep.

So, I don't have a clue and I'm a sheep? Wow... so, when you are losing a debate, you go to name calling? You're a real tough guy.

Anyway, who cares where he is drafted? He's not a talent. If he was, he'd be the first QB off the board. Running fast is a track skill. That's a track talent. I don't care if he was D1 or not. If he played in the MAC or something, that's still D1.

So, why don't you go find the next big thing and try to be revolutionary or something?

LMFAO BRILLIANT !! :lol::lol:

Gates was lightning striking twice. If you're saying Matt Jones will be good basing it on another player who has nothing to with with the other is stupid.

i'm saying if gates is a good enough talent to learn how to play TE in the NFL. i'm banking on jones' amazing talents will allow him to learn WR in the NFL as well. no more no less. plus he was a swingman in basketball. those kinda guys always have good hands. trust me on that one.

Matt Jones does not have just "track speed", he plays football at a very fast pace. If he would have had an ounce of talent around him at ark., they would have been a lot better. THE KID MAKES PLAYS! It is unreal what this guy can do when it is time to step it up, he takes over games. I voted for depends on who's there, but I like the idea. However, I honestly do not think there will be a BAP at 26 than MJ.

So, I don't have a clue and I'm a sheep? Wow... so, when you are losing a debate, you go to name calling? You're a real tough guy.

...erummm, an hour ago you posted for me to stop swinging from jones' nuts. but i come back at you & i'm a tough guy?? [-X try & remember your own posts guy. PS try telling somebody else about how this kid does'nt have talent. se how far you get with that. :lol:

...erummm, an hour ago you posted for me to stop swinging from jones' nuts. but i come back at you & i'm a tough guy?? [-X try & remember your own posts guy. PS try telling somebody else about how this kid does'nt have talent. se how far you get with that. :lol:

He doesn't have talents. Football talents. There's a HUGE difference.

And, you're riding his jock. That has nothing to do with name calling or flaming or any of that. I mean, you can't see any wrong in him. He's big and he runs fast. You need to get a grip on reality and notice that he won't do jack. He's going to be a bust. His first few years are going to be hell. Why? If he's a first round pick, that's ALOT of pressure. Gates was a UDFA. There's a world of difference. And, if I'm not mistaken (and without looking up the stats), last year was Gates' first season. This isn't the NBA. You don't draft for potential. Not in the NFL. And the Jets are very close. Do you really want to lose ground?

There's No denying this Kid's Talent! But I think

Hermie would be against drafting him because as

Hermie has stated..I can't Coach Talent!! :lol:

And, you're riding his jock. That has nothing to do with name calling or flaming or any of that. I mean, you can't see any wrong in him. He's big and he runs fast. You need to get a grip on reality and notice that he won't do jack. He's going to be a bust. His first few years are going to be hell. Why? If he's a first round pick, that's ALOT of pressure. Gates was a UDFA. There's a world of difference. And, if I'm not mistaken (and without looking up the stats), last year was Gates' first season. This isn't the NBA. You don't draft for potential. Not in the NFL. And the Jets are very close. Do you really want to lose ground?

Shadow, there is MORE to Jones than speed and size. He is also very quick, and plays as fast as his times. Although still unproven, this kid has been up to every task put in front of him. As far as your pressure point, this kid is cooler than the other side of the igloo. Ice water in this one's veins.

Why? If he's a first round pick, that's ALOT of pressure. Gates was a UDFA. There's a world of difference.

That's really the only argument that you need to make to shoot down the idea of drafting Jones. Jones is NOT the next Antonio Gates, and you want to take him round 1? How the hell does that make any sense to you people?

Wow.

Uh....

That's actually a pretty good point.

:shock:

Wow, this is getting rediculous! Not even close! You guys act like this kid has not seen a field in a decade. HE'S BEEN PLAYING F'ING QUATERBACK! RUNNING AN OFFENSE, NOT JUST PLAYING IN ONE! BROCK LESSNARDS WAS AN ACTOR!!!!

if you say so. i strongly disagree.

And, you're riding his jock. That has nothing to do with name calling or flaming or any of that.
where i come from saying that to someone is an insult. believe me. but if you say did'nt mean anything by it, i'll take your word on it.
Gates was a UDFA. There's a world of difference. And, if I'm not mistaken (and without looking up the stats), last year was Gates' first season.
maybe you should have looked up the stats. all he did was catch the most TD's at TE ever.
Do you really want to lose ground?
lets agree to disagree. you think he'll suck. i think he's a star in waiting. i also think i'll be getting a free jetnation shirt.

That's really the only argument that you need to make to shoot down the idea of drafting Jones. Jones is NOT the next Antonio Gates, and you want to take him round 1? How the hell does that make any sense to you people?

ok 80. when does he go off the board???

Archived