Leinart Looks Like The Real Deal

Phinsuck

I like the Brick pick and didn't want Leinart, but I have to say I saw some good zip on his passes against the bear and I don't think his armstrength would have been a problem in the meadowlands (but what do I know about throwing a football in the meadowlands come december, right?)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matt's a slut.. He has banged the hell out of Paris, and now he knocked up a USC BBall player. Way to go Matt!

Yeah I heard that today, too.

I really think big part of why the Jets passed on him was b/c they thought he'd be too distracted in NY, and would become a distraction.

You can find any way to rationalize and explain the moves Tanenbaum and Mangini made but it won't change the fact that it was a mistake to pass up Matt Leinart at 4.

way to dodge the bulk of my post

my point was that it's impossible that all of these players do great things

some will bust

but since we are talking about it the last thing this team needs post-Chad is another guy coming off of two throwing arm surgeries

Cutler also looks like the real deal. And, unlike Leinart, he has a rocket launcher connected to his shoulder. And, he's herpes free.

And we had the chance to draft either Cutler or Leinart & we chose an O lineman. Way to go Eric. How many O tackles win superbowls????

And we had the chance to draft either Cutler or Leinart & we chose an O lineman. Way to go Eric. How many O tackles win superbowls????

Last time I checked Jon Ogden and Orlando Pace have rings, and if not for the worst officiating I've ever seen, so would Walter Jones.

One of those QBs was Trent Dilfer.

The other two were Matt Hasselbeck and Kurt Warner. What round were they drafted in again?

I don't know where they were drafted, but I'll take any one of those QBs over Pennington any day of the week. If Pennington were on any other team he'd be a 2nd string QB at best. This team is & at the end of last year was in desperate need of a QB. If the past few years hasn't shown that Pennington is not the QB that a lot of us thought he was, the QB that could take this team to the Superbowl, then I can't convince you that Pennington is a lousy QB.

I don't know where they were drafted, but I'll take any one of those QBs over Pennington any day of the week. If Pennington were on any other team he'd be a 2nd string QB at best. This team is & at the end of last year was in desperate need of a QB. If the past few years hasn't shown that Pennington is not the QB that a lot of us thought he was, the QB that could take this team to the Superbowl, then I can't convince you that Pennington is a lousy QB.

You missed his point.....

Just because a QB is drafted in the 1st round, does not make him a pro bowler.

What happened the last time the Jets drafted a QB in the 1st??;)

Pennington blows, I agree.

However, you are missing the point completely. You are bitching that we passed up Leinart and Cutler for Brick. Hasselbeck and Warner were a 6th round pick and an undrafted free agent, respectively. Who made a rule that a QB must be drafted in the 1st round to succeed? As evidenced by Super Bowls from the past decade, a first-rate offensive line is much more important than a 1st-round QB.

I would rather have Kellen Clemens at Kellen Clemens' salary than have Matt Leinart at a top ten pick salary. It's funny, people just think Leinart is awesome because of what he did in college, surrounded by pro talent against ****ty Pac 10 competition. Leinart's arm is only marginally stronger than Chad's, and the dude has never faced adversity in his life. He, and the posters attached to his ****, are in for a rude awakening once the games start counting.

Trent Dilfer? Have you ever seen him play? If you were in Baltimore you'd have been begging for Penny. During the super bowl season his completion percentage was .3 higher and his yards per completion .26 yards more than Penny last year. I have family in Baltimore, there is a reason Dilfer won the Super Bowl and then was replaced as QB.

Pennington blows, I agree.

However, you are missing the point completely. You are bitching that we passed up Leinart and Cutler for Brick. Hasselbeck and Warner were a 6th round pick and an undrafted free agent, respectively. Who made a rule that a QB must be drafted in the 1st round to succeed? As evidenced by Super Bowls from the past decade, a first-rate offensive line is much more important than a 1st-round QB.

I would rather have Kellen Clemens at Kellen Clemens' salary than have Matt Leinart at a top ten pick salary. It's funny, people just think Leinart is awesome because of what he did in college, surrounded by pro talent against ****ty Pac 10 competition. Leinart's arm is only marginally stronger than Chad's, and the dude has never faced adversity in his life. He, and the posters attached to his ****, are in for a rude awakening once the games start counting.

What are you going to start saying once the regular season starts and Leinart gets a chance to play and does well? We still would have been better off without the franchise QB? I don't understand how you manage to come up with all this flawed, distorted logic.

You make it sound like it is so easy to get a franchise QB after Round 1 of the draft. If anything, it is much easier to get good offensive linemen after Round 1. Jason Fabini, Kareem Mackenzie and Ryan Young were nowhere near 1st Round Picks yet they all turned out to be good-very good linemen for the Jets. This draft was loaded with good Offensive Tackles. Winston Justice and Marcus McNeill are both studs and will probably be as good if not better than Ferguson. Ask Reggie Bush and Lendale White how good a blocker Winston Justice is. Ask Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown what an amazing blocker Marcus McNeill is. I'm wondering if Marcus McNeill can extend his streak of 41 games without allowing a sack into the NFL.

What excuses are you going to use? He has Boldin/Fitzgerald? Well this draft was loaded with quality playmakers especially at the tight end and running back positions but Manginibaum wanted no part of that and instead drafted back-up safeties, Oregon Quarterbacks, slow linebackers who can't cover anyone and scrub running backs who can't stay healthy.

Oh wait, there is the excuse that Leinart would have been playing in NY and as we all know franchise QB's who like to party can't win in NY. Just ask Joe Namath.

The only valid excuse I can see for Leinart being able to have success in Arizona but not in NY is that in Arizona he has a good coach in Dennis Green while he would have had a mediocre coach with the Jets.

What are you going to start saying once the regular season starts and Leinart gets a chance to play and does well? We still would have been better off without the franchise QB? I don't understand how you manage to come up with all this flawed, distorted logic.

You make it sound like it is so easy to get a franchise QB after Round 1 of the draft. If anything, it is much easier to get good offensive linemen after Round 1. Jason Fabini, Kareem Mackenzie and Ryan Young were nowhere near 1st Round Picks yet they all turned out to be good-very good linemen for the Jets. This draft was loaded with good Offensive Tackles. Winston Justice and Marcus McNeill are both studs and will probably be as good if not better than Ferguson. Ask Reggie Bush and Lendale White how good a blocker Winston Justice is. Ask Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown what an amazing blocker Marcus McNeill is. I'm wondering if Marcus McNeill can extend his streak of 41 games without allowing a sack into the NFL.

What excuses are you going to use? He has Boldin/Fitzgerald? Well this draft was loaded with quality playmakers especially at the tight end and running back positions but Manginibaum wanted no part of that and instead drafted back-up safeties, Oregon Quarterbacks, slow linebackers who can't cover anyone and scrub running backs who can't stay healthy.

Oh wait, there is the excuse that Leinart would have been playing in NY and as we all know franchise QB's who like to party can't win in NY. Just ask Joe Namath.

The only valid excuse I can see for Leinart being able to have success in Arizona but not in NY is that in Arizona he has a good coach in Dennis Green while he would have had a mediocre coach with the Jets.

How the **** do you expect a player to suceed with no playmakers surrounding him? Dennis Green is a good coach? Give me a ****ing break. Dennis Green is an idiot.

Bottom line is that Leinart went to the best possible situation he could have gone to. If he succeeds in Arizona, it won't surprise me. But saying he succeeds because Dennis Green is awesome and NOT because he is surrounded by Fitz, Bolden, and Edge is INSANE. Throw Leinart on the Jets and you honestly think the same results would happen? Of course not! Because of Eric Mangini being a terrible coach, not because of Leinart being an over-rated QB who must be surrounded by all world talent in order to succeed.

The talent Leinart had around him at Southern Cal masked his weaknesses from trolls such as yourself. Leinart has a WEAK arm. Sound familiar? Leinart has already had a surgery on his throwing shoulder. Even more familiar?

Look, I liked Cutler. Thought he would have been a great fit in New York. Cannon for an arm. Tough. Gets the most out of his teammates. However, D'Brickashaw Ferguson has the potential to be a franchise tackle. An Orlando Pace, a Jon Ogden, a Walter Jones. I understand that isn't sexy enough to hold your short attention span. But it wins football games.

You say I imply that it's easy to find a franchise QB outside of the 1st round? It's not easy to find a franchise QB anywhere! Ask the Lions, Bengals (remember Akili Smith and Klingler? Took them 15 years to find Palmer!), Bills, Ravens, Browns, Chargers, Redskins, Bucs, Bears, 49ers, or Seahawks. All have had "sure thing" first round QBs completely bust in recent history. Your draft position does not guarantee a trip to Canton.

Who says the Jets can't draft a "franchise" QB next year? Mangini only gets one year to rebuild a team left in ruins before you want to run him out of town? I like your plan. Invest $50 million into a rookie quarterback, then wait until next year to splurge on the little things, like protecting him. That strategy is working GREAT for the Texans.

Trent Dilfer? Have you ever seen him play? If you were in Baltimore you'd have been begging for Penny. During the super bowl season his completion percentage was .3 higher and his yards per completion .26 yards more than Penny last year. I have family in Baltimore, there is a reason Dilfer won the Super Bowl and then was replaced as QB.

It doesn't matter. Bottom line is that Dilfer took his team to a Suberbowl. That's it. Pennington has never & will never do that. PERIOD!!!

Everyone says, "Oh how can you draft a QB who's a star in college, he may be a flop in the pros." I've got news for you, you can say that about any position player, that includes an offensive lineman!! Drafting a great college kicker was supposed to be a sure thing too, but Nugent sucks!!! Have you ever seen film of Ferugson?? All he ever does is hold people. I guarantee he'll be the most penalised player on the team by the end of the year.

Call me crazy but I'd rather draft a great college QB than a great college O lineman. To draft an O lineman before a QB when you have a team that is desperate need of a QB doesn't make a bit of sense. Passing on Cutler & Leinart doesn't make any sense.

And I guess you would build the upstairs bedroom before you pour your foundation. I would love to have Cutler here but it would have been a waste. There are very few "special" players who you just have to draft becuase you know they will be HOF type players. Elway, Earl Cambel, Eric Dickerson are the few I can remeber. Cutler was not in that leauge(not Lienhart or Young) Yes we need a QB but we also needed an OLine MORE. It takes longer for an OL to gel and be good and needs to be put in place before the QB and RB and WR. The OL makes the QB and the Running backs better. A great OL can take a team to the SB with a medioce to adaquate QB or RB (seen pittsburg dynast and redskins). A Great QB cannot take a team with a bad OL anywhere. Admit that we had a bad OL last year. THey were old pourus and it was not gonna get better this year without help.

Its not sexy, its not exciting but the OL gets the job done. We can watch Clemens learn now, and if he does not look like the answer, we can draft a qb next year that will have just as much hype as the 3 this year. What I really think we need next is a tall speed WR who can streach the field, and lastly a good running back. The RB last as they generally have the shortest shelf life due to the beating they take.

How the **** do you expect a player to suceed with no playmakers surrounding him? Dennis Green is a good coach? Give me a ****ing break. Dennis Green is an idiot.

Bottom line is that Leinart went to the best possible situation he could have gone to. If he succeeds in Arizona, it won't surprise me. But saying he succeeds because Dennis Green is awesome and NOT because he is surrounded by Fitz, Bolden, and Edge is INSANE. Throw Leinart on the Jets and you honestly think the same results would happen? Of course not! Because of Eric Mangini being a terrible coach, not because of Leinart being an over-rated QB who must be surrounded by all world talent in order to succeed.

The talent Leinart had around him at Southern Cal masked his weaknesses from trolls such as yourself. Leinart has a WEAK arm. Sound familiar? Leinart has already had a surgery on his throwing shoulder. Even more familiar?

Look, I liked Cutler. Thought he would have been a great fit in New York. Cannon for an arm. Tough. Gets the most out of his teammates. However, D'Brickashaw Ferguson has the potential to be a franchise tackle. An Orlando Pace, a Jon Ogden, a Walter Jones. I understand that isn't sexy enough to hold your short attention span. But it wins football games.

You say I imply that it's easy to find a franchise QB outside of the 1st round? It's not easy to find a franchise QB anywhere! Ask the Lions, Bengals (remember Akili Smith and Klingler? Took them 15 years to find Palmer!), Bills, Ravens, Browns, Chargers, Redskins, Bucs, Bears, 49ers, or Seahawks. All have had "sure thing" first round QBs completely bust in recent history. Your draft position does not guarantee a trip to Canton.

Who says the Jets can't draft a "franchise" QB next year? Mangini only gets one year to rebuild a team left in ruins before you want to run him out of town? I like your plan. Invest $50 million into a rookie quarterback, then wait until next year to splurge on the little things, like protecting him. That strategy is working GREAT for the Texans.

First off if Manginibomb are anywhere near as high on Kellen Clemens as the people on this site are, and I believe they are after all they reached in the second round for this guy, they won't draft a QB in the first round of next year's draft. Also after Brady Quinn this year's crop of QB's does not look nearly as good as last year's was. Leinart and Cutler both look like superstars in the making and even Vince Young looks promising. All 3 of them so far have looked way better than Kellen Clemens.

You keep talking about how Leinart has this weak arm, have you seent the throws he's been making in Arizona? He doesn't have Brett Favre's cannon but he isn't Chad Pennington either, nowhere even near. You people exaggerate it in an attempt to rationalize passing him over at 4 for an offensive tackle.

Winston Justice and Marcus McNeill look just as good if not better than Ferguson. Taking Mangold at 29 makes more sense because Center was not as deep a position in this draft as OT was. I love how anyone who argues that Matt Leinart would have been a better pick automatically wanted to do nothing about the Offensive Line. We could have upgraded the line and still had the franchise QB but Mangini and Tanenbaum lacked the balls to pull the trigger.

Oh and by the way, can D'Brickashaw Ferguson learn to remember the snap count before we start calling him a franchise tackle?

Are you drunk?

Enough of this nonsense. Comparing a Leinart to Namath. Namath was far and away the best college quarterback coming out with a howitzer for an arm. If you ever saw him play, you rarely saw a dump off pass-most were 20 yarders.

Pennington had us damn close to the SB before the surgeries, he has the head, the leadership qualities, the guts (remember the 60-70 yarder in SD with the broken wing),the accuracy and the timing-the only question is whether he still has enough velocity to make the tough throws.

Leinart, the team around him, the playboy rep, similar question about the arm strength surrounding the pre injury Pennington. Cutler (who was my choice as the best qb coming out) with all the qualities except that he hasn't shown himself to be a winner. Young, a great runner-is he as good or better than the kid in Atlanta? Can he make the throws?

Clemens-a bit short but still Jawarski's choice as the best QB of the four.

All have questions but OLs picked early are more likely to be successful than QBs.

All that being said-you start a building by pouring the foundation then adding the bricks and sheetrock on top to finish. the lines are the foundation and with it in place you can build your running game and passing game.

Enough of this nonsense. Comparing a Leinart to Namath. Namath was far and away the best college quarterback coming out with a howitzer for an arm. If you ever saw him play, you rarely saw a dump off pass-most were 20 yarders.

Pennington had us damn close to the SB before the surgeries, he has the head, the leadership qualities, the guts (remember the 60-70 yarder in SD with the broken wing),the accuracy and the timing-the only question is whether he still has enough velocity to make the tough throws.

Leinart, the team around him, the playboy rep, similar question about the arm strength surrounding the pre injury Pennington. Cutler (who was my choice as the best qb coming out) with all the qualities except that he hasn't shown himself to be a winner. Young, a great runner-is he as good or better than the kid in Atlanta? Can he make the throws?

Clemens-a bit short but still Jawarski's choice as the best QB of the four.

All have questions but OLs picked early are more likely to be successful than QBs.

All that being said-you start a building by pouring the foundation then adding the bricks and sheetrock on top to finish. the lines are the foundation and with it in place you can build your running game and passing game.

Since when was Ron Jaworski the be all and end all of QB evaluators? I watched that NFL program when Merrill Hoge and Ron Jaworski bashed the big 3 of Young, Leinart and Cutler and hyped up Kellen Clemens. So far they like look absolute idiots for making those assessments.

Ron Jaworski can eat me. The guy made a mistake and pity on Mangina for listening to him. Fact is the Jets passed on Leinart and Cutler for a bum and a finesse offensive tackle who goes off-sides way too much. Brilliant.

OL's picked early are far more likely to work out? Funny, ask the Raiders that. They were the last team to pick to OL's in Round 1 and they stink. Adrian Jones was picked in Round 4 of the 2004 draft and he's just as good as Gallery who was picked 2nd overall. Nice.

Since when was Ron Jaworski the be all and end all of QB evaluators? I watched that NFL program when Merrill Hoge and Ron Jaworski bashed the big 3 of Young, Leinart and Cutler and hyped up Kellen Clemens. So far they like look absolute idiots for making those assessments.

Ron Jaworski can eat me. The guy made a mistake and pity on Mangina for listening to him. Fact is the Jets passed on Leinart and Cutler for a bum and a finesse offensive tackle who goes off-sides way too much. Brilliant.

OL's picked early are far more likely to work out? Funny, ask the Raiders that. They were the last team to pick to OL's in Round 1 and they stink. Adrian Jones was picked in Round 4 of the 2004 draft and he's just as good as Gallery who was picked 2nd overall. Nice.

You must have garnered this assesment from the wide array of meaningful regular season and playoff games this years fresh faced ROOKIE class has played.

I didn't know that Peternorth, of all people, suffered from anything with premature in the description.

See thats the thing Leinart or Williams or Bush show us something fantastic.Meanwhile Ferguson is in the trenches making key blocks.My question is key blocks for what????????????????????????????????????

We dont seem to have a qb who can make it happen or a running back who can break it open.I dont see any playmakers on the offense as we speak.The bestplay of the night was McCareins.

You can bitch and moan all you want but if it turns out that D-Brick and Mangold give us a solid o-line for this year, then at least we will have a chance to move the ball. Without them we would have a revolving door on about the entire line and we'd have trouble running the ball with anybody as our RB and our QB would have about .2 seconds to get rid of the ball.

You can find any way to rationalize and explain the moves Tanenbaum and Mangini made but it won't change the fact that it was a mistake to pass up Matt Leinart at 4.

The Jets could still have upgraded the line at 29 and 35. D'Brickashaw Ferguson will be spending his career blocking for a bunch of scrubs.

Wow that's really dumb. After this year I'm sure we will be picking up a top notch RB. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Fact is taking D'Brick was absolutely the right move, if not the flashy one.

It doesn't matter. Bottom line is that Dilfer took his team to a Suberbowl. That's it. Pennington has never & will never do that. PERIOD!!!

Dilfer was a stiff, he was picked up and played like crap and his team still won the Super Bowl. He did not "take his team to" anything. The Ravens defense dragged him kicking and screaming to the title. Pennington is better that Dilfer. There is no reason to cut him when he is as good as a guy who won the Super Bowl, UNTIL WE HAVE SOMEBODY BETTER or are forced to because he is overpaid.

Leinart and Cutler both look like superstars in the making and even Vince Young looks promising. All 3 of them so far have looked way better than Kellen Clemens.

Winston Justice and Marcus McNeill look just as good if not better than Ferguson. Taking Mangold at 29 makes more sense because Center was not as deep a position in this draft as OT was. I love how anyone who argues that Matt Leinart would have been a better pick automatically wanted to do nothing about the Offensive Line. We could have upgraded the line and still had the franchise QB but Mangini and Tanenbaum lacked the balls to pull the trigger.

Oh and by the way, can D'Brickashaw Ferguson learn to remember the snap count before we start calling him a franchise tackle?

Ferguson went offsides twice, I guess we should cut him. Maybe if Winston Justice were starting he might have the opportunity to commit a penalty or two. Let me ask you one simple question about Leinart-he went 10th. If the Jets passed on Ferguson do you think there is even the slightest possibility that he would have lasted that long? There is none. As for how these budding superstars looked in preseason, Brad Smith looked great at QB Friday. I guess he'll be the next Tom Brady.

I don't think Clemens is a better prospect than Leinart or Cutler. You should be looking for value where you pick. I like Cutler better, but as for value, taking a pick that fell to 10th with the 4 is a bad move.

None of these guys are big time prospects along the lines of Eli, Peyton, Philip Rivers, etc. None of them have EVERYTHING. Namath did and that's why comparing Leinart to Namath coming out of college is a joke.

As usual troll,you are right on the money.

POTW NOM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=260825003

Leinart looked sharp in the second preseason game. In the first game he didn't look so good but he impressed everyone with his ability to scramble and make plays outside of the pocket.

Not bad considering the guy has had less than two weeks to learn the playbook and practice. Looks like the Cards got a steal at 10.

first off matt when coming out was said to be the most prepared considering he is from usc that runs an nfl type system. second it's just preseason. regular season games are at much faster pace than preseason games

Matt Leinart fell to 10th in the draft so that vindicates the Jets for not taking him? That's great logic to use especially right after Ben Roethlisberger, another QB who fell on draft day in a similar fashion to Leinart, wins the Super Bowl.

Keep trying to convince yourselves you're right - it's amusing.

Matt Leinart fell to 10th in the draft so that vindicates the Jets for not taking him? That's great logic to use especially right after Ben Roethlisberger, another QB who fell on draft day in a similar fashion to Leinart, wins the Super Bowl.

Keep trying to convince yourselves you're right - it's amusing.

Yeah,and Tom Brady,who's won 3 times as many Super Bowls as Big Ben,fell to the 6th round.

Damnit,Jetsone was right...we should've started bollywood from day 1!

I want to change my stance on Leinart. I originally said that he would be nothing and was glad the Jets passed on him.

I would like to revise that. I am glad the Jets passed on him. There are bigger needs here. But I think he is going to be good. Took him in my Fantasy Football (keeper) league. He gets to back up Peyton this year! That really is the ultimate vote of confidence.

first off matt when coming out was said to be the most prepared considering he is from usc that runs an nfl type system. second it's just preseason. regular season games are at much faster pace than preseason games

Even though it was preseason you have to consider it pretty damn impressive that the guy looked good after having only a couple weeks to learn an NFL playbook.

Leinart is looking like the real deal. Same with Cutler. Now as for Kellen Clemens, I think he has potential to be a decent QB in the NFL. He has some mobility and his arm is above average. However, his potential seems limited and you have to be cautious with Oregon QB's who have been tremendous busts (Akili Smith, Joey Harrington).

What disturbs me most about Kellen Clemens is that he has a style of play to Joey Harrington. You can talk about how Harrington came up in Tedford's system and Clemens didn't but if you have watched the two objectively like I have they look pretty similar. Now Clemens could be a decent back-up in the NFL, but I doubt he will ever be a "franchise QB" and assuming he will be is foolish.

Even though it was preseason you have to consider it pretty damn impressive that the guy looked good after having only a couple weeks to learn an NFL playbook.

Leinart is looking like the real deal. Same with Cutler. Now as for Kellen Clemens, I think he has potential to be a decent QB in the NFL. He has some mobility and his arm is above average. However, his potential seems limited and you have to be cautious with Oregon QB's who have been tremendous busts (Akili Smith, Joey Harrington).

What disturbs me most about Kellen Clemens is that he has a style of play to Joey Harrington. You can talk about how Harrington came up in Tedford's system and Clemens didn't but if you have watched the two objectively like I have they look pretty similar. Now Clemens could be a decent back-up in the NFL, but I doubt he will ever be a "franchise QB" and assuming he will be is foolish.

So is assuming he won't be

Archived