Barlow Contract

Maxman

Hey cap experts...

If the Jets take a RB in round 1 next year and cut Barlow is there any cap impact? I know his contract is big. But I think they are only on the hook for the salary each year since we didn't pay him any bonus so there is no prorated money.

Thoughts?

Hey cap experts...

If the Jets take a RB in round 1 next year and cut Barlow is there any cap impact? I know his contract is big. But I think they are only on the hook for the salary each year since we didn't pay him any bonus so there is no prorated money.

Thoughts?

From when the trade was made I read somewhere that there would be no cap hit because the 49ers payed all of his Signing Bonus so it would be no cap hit to us if we cut him at any time.

Correct, no cap hit for cutting Barlow at any time. When you trade for a player, his original team retains the cap hit for his signing bonus and the new team assumes the contract. However, if there are roster bonuses, etc, then we will have to pay them on the appropriate dates.

Hey cap experts...

Thoughts?

Why Max? Already thinking this guy is going to the crapper?:chas:

Hey cap experts...

Thoughts?

Assuming he does not have a roster bonus due 3/1/07, there would be no cap hit to cut him. The entire signing bonus is the responsibility of the 49ers, and they're taking the cap hit right now. However, if there are some option bonuses or roster bonuses due from now on, they are the Jets responsibility

Archived