San Antonio Express News mentions Abe to Dallas possible

TaborJet

San Antonio Express-News

It has become as much a rite of spring as live oak pollen coating signs and sinuses.

Whither Bill Parcells?

If the past few weeks are any indication, the answer is obvious: Much to the immediate relief of Cowboys fans, the Tuna isn't going anywhere just yet. What that means for the long run and Jerry Jones' checkbook, however, is just as obvious.

It's now or never.

At least for this regime.

That's OK, of course, because we never expected anything else from Parcells, who heads into each offseason as if he's driving into a disorienting fog. Where he'll end up is anybody's guess, including his.

These days, he can be found at Valley Ranch, and those close to him feel he's as driven as he has been in years. Perhaps motivated by the astounding success of his former assistant, Bill Belichick, at New England, Parcells has invested more than hours into the coming campaign.

He has been spending like there's no tomorrow, or at least no 2006.

And that says something.

Much as he did before his final campaign as the Jets' head coach in 1999, Parcells has spent much of the past month buying the kind of graybeard talent that is more likely to evoke fond memories than create any new ones.

But all he's asking quarterback Drew Bledsoe, nose tackle Jason Ferguson and guard Marco Rivera, among other imported warhorses, is to dig deep one last time.

Just as he will.

Parcells, 64 in August, shopped in New York like a man in a big hurry, and those close to the franchise read the receipts as so many farewell notes. In Dallas, there's a similar sense today.

As the coach heads into the third season of his four-year, $17 million contract, he does so with the knowledge that Jones didn't bring him in only to share anecdotes over coffee. Dismiss the bombastic owner if you like, but there has never been any doubt of his championship aspirations, along with his willingness to pay for it.

Even Parcells had to take note when Jones agreed to dish out $30 million on signing bonuses in a short two-week span to begin the free-agent signing period. It was the most aggressive attack of any team in the league and signaled the franchise's most remarkable entry into the fray since overspending for Deion Sanders roughly 10 years ago.

The signing of the 33-year-old Bledsoe, who landed a $2 million signing bonus after being jettisoned by the Bills, was followed by the acquisitions of the 30-year-old Ferguson, a run-stopper in the Ted Washington mold, and the 33-year-old Rivera, an offensive line stalwart. All were important additions, but none represent an enduring foundation.

The Cowboys aren't about that now, and the next few days may provide an interesting glimpse as to just how immediate the game plan is.

Dallas owns the 11th and 20th picks in the first round of the NFL Draft on April 23, but there is pressing speculation that Parcells and Jones may be willing to part with one or both of the picks to land Jets defensive end John Abraham.

At 26, Abraham is a three-time Pro Bowl pick, but his ability to stay healthy has been a prickly concern in New York. The Cowboys are one of the few teams with the resources to make a strong bid for the lineman, who would make a nice complement to Ferguson, especially if Parcells goes through with a reported switch to his favored 3-4 defensive alignment.

Along with free-agent signee Anthony Henry, a strapping right cornerback, Abraham and Ferguson would team to give Dallas a further push in at least challenging the Eagles in the NFC East.

With the return of blocking tight end Dan Campbell, receivers Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson and linebacker Al Singleton from injuries that undercut last season's 6-10 campaign, the Cowboys just might get better.

In a hurry.

How about Abe for 11 and 20? :D

If Bradway walks away with the 11 and 20 from Abe I will delete any "Bradway Bashing" that TomShane posts over the next 2 years.

That is right...he will get a 2 year exemption from jetnation.com should he pull that off. =D>

If Bradway walks away with the 11 and 20 from Abe I will delete any "Bradway Bashing" that TomShane posts over the next 2 years.

That is right...he will get a 2 year exemption from jetnation.com should he pull that off. =D>

Between me, slats and rsherry, deleting our Terry-bashing would cut the posts in half, buddy.

Between me, slats and rsherry, deleting our Terry-bashing would cut the posts in half, buddy.

I think that if we tossed Dallas another pick or 2, we could get 11 and 20. After all, Bill Parcells isnt going to coach forever, so what does he care about draft picks? All he'd have to do is sell that to Jerry Jones.

It would pretty much eliminate my entire body of work!

Unfortunately, I'm not worried about that happening at all. I'd be surprised if he could get a deal that even included the #11. I'd think the #20 and a 3rd.

Nice to see the rumor all the way out in San Antonio, though.

Unfortunately, I'm not worried about that happening at all. I'd be surprised if he could get a deal that even included the #11. I'd think the #20 and a 3rd.

Cmon Slats...you would find something else to poke fun at. You wouldn't be unemployed for long!

But I agree with you...they are not getting the 11. And I will be happy with the 20 and a 3rd.

The 11 and a 3rd would be incredible.

11 - CB (take your pick)

20 - OT Barnes

26 - TE Miller

sign me up!

Now that is a dream come true. Especially since at 11 we could probably end up with either Pacman Jones or Antrel Rolle, and if not, oh yeah, there's that guy Carlos Rogers. :wink:

Now that is a dream come true. Especially since at 11 we could probably end up with either Pacman Jones or Antrel Rolle, and if not, oh yeah, there's that guy Carlos Rogers. :wink:

Not a chance in Hell that Antrel Rolle makes it out of the top 10 unclaimed.

There's still the coaching staff. how can you not make fun of Herm? And, it'd be an indirect shot at Terry, since he hired Herm :wink:

Archived