Hurricane prompts Keys evacuation order

SoFlaJets

yea it's changed course and looks like it's coming right through the middle of the state near Lake Okeechobee.The biggest pain in the ass is getting everything ready-all the lawn chairs and garbage cans and hurricane shutters put back up-I'm not looking forward to this

yea it's changed course and looks like it's coming right through the middle of the state near Lake Okeechobee.The biggest pain in the ass is getting everything ready-all the lawn chairs and garbage cans and hurricane shutters put back up-I'm not looking forward to this

I feel for ya sfj.......& so the season begins. We are well prepared now compliments of this close call. with my son living at home, it only takes us 2 hours to board up. I always hold off til the last minute cause that's the biggest chore for me. everything else is pretty much routine for us these days.

after Ivan, we have living without water & power down to a fine art. Lets hope we're all spared this season from a major hit.

I feel for ya sfj.......& so the season begins. We are well prepared now compliments of this close call. with my son living at home, it only takes us 2 hours to board up. I always hold off til the last minute cause that's the biggest chore for me. everything else is pretty much routine for us these days.

after Ivan, we have living without water & power down to a fine art. Lets hope we're all spared this season from a major hit.

you know what sucks JW-we went out and invested in a natural gas generator that will run the house when the power goes out-unfortunately we hired friggin idiot electricians that don't seem to know WTF they are doing-they actually put the box in UPSIDE DOWN in the garage-can you friggin believe it? I feel like I hired Moe,Larry and Curly Electric.My hope is they finally get the inspection today and finish-I'm tired of these guys in and out in and out in and out.

We came down here at the beginning of 86 and you know we never seemed to have to worry about them until Andrew in '92-In fact Floridians actually used to have Hurricane parties-I don't think they're too much in vogue anymore-these friggin things are not to be taken lightly

wow that sucks sfj. I've researched those things & am very impressed. Haven't stepped up for it this year cause finding a safe place for the propane tank is an issue. Our generator works 1 ac zone, fridge, lights fans etc so I'll just stick with what I got for now. I guess you'll be surviving on "electricians testicles" & granola bars if you're area gets devasted before they sort it out.

wow that sucks sfj. I've researched those things & am very impressed. Haven't stepped up for it this year cause finding a safe place for the propane tank is an issue. Our generator works 1 ac zone, fridge, lights fans etc so I'll just stick with what I got for now. I guess you'll be surviving on "electricians testicles" & granola bars if you're area gets devasted before they sort it out.

no JW it runs on the natural gas lines-that's what I thought too-I'm like "where's the propane tank" and then the gas guys explained it to me-it'd be nice to have A/C and the rest-not like the last 2 years when we had no power except for the gasoline generator and the refrigerator and maybe one or two lights for 11 days last year and what-9 the year before...F-that crap

no JW it runs on the natural gas lines-that's what I thought too-I'm like "where's the propane tank" and then the gas guys explained it to me-it'd be nice to have A/C and the rest-not like the last 2 years when we had no power except for the gasoline generator and the refrigerator and maybe one or two lights for 11 days last year and what-9 the year before...F-that crap

yeah but we don't have natural gas lines here in cayman so I gotta have a tank installed which i'm nervous about doing.

hopefully this storm won't be much when it hits fla. fingers crossed

yeah but we don't have natural gas lines here in cayman so I gotta have a tank installed which i'm nervous about doing.

hopefully this storm won't be much when it hits fla. fingers crossed

joe willy, you should look into a diesel system. one big tank would last forever, diesel fumes dont/wont blow up like gas and you can make your own biodiesel system which would allow you to run off all your old home cooking oil.

biodiesel is a no brainer. its a win for everyone except the oil companies and thats why it is almost nonexistant

thanks dick, I bought my generator in desperation after Ivan whacked us & there was not much available. the us pretty nuch ran out of stock. I've learned much about em since. Diesal is the way to go for sure.

the only upside is that my boat was full of gas & I siphoned from it when needed. it also has a shower hose. my wife & 2 dogs got all lathered up & clean............I got lathered up right before the pump seized. can you say kick the dog?

Yikes! :eek: Stay safe everyone!

...and I complain about blizzards.......shame on me.

...thats what I said...but I'll dig out 5 timesthen to deal with the devestation these hurricanes cause....we do usually get to keep power and water and all you have to do is have your fridge stocked. Gets boring as hell if you cant go anywhere but your usually safe. Lots of babies conceived is all...lol. But good luck guys...stay safe and God be with you all. Jon E take care of SC...Im in Santee around the 16th. I need my home in one piece. Got a retreat down there.

Yep, they're telling us to expect to start getting hit with it sometime tomorow and the base has evacuated a lot of the aircraft that they didn't have room for in the hangars.

57 more days in florida hurricane season for me:)

shutters up-food bought-generator hooked up-backyard almost done-we got water...what else?

I'm done also SFJ...got the new roof on (thanks to Katrina and Wilma last year)...invested in according shutters...took all of 10 minutes to do. Generator is on point...paid for my FEMA last year. Plenty of water and three tanks of gas for the grill just in case. Where's Herm when you need him...NOT!

Archived