Regarding Chad

MSGold12

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to get your thougths on a post I left at JA re: Chad. There has been a lot of debate about him and my osition is he is simply not the guy for us anymiore. This was my last post after a string of battles with Chad suporters. I want to know what you guys think.....

In an effort to not beat the subject into submission or have a season long debate with the likes of IBG, Slik and Pope, I am going to make my last statement on y opsition of Chad now to clarify and then thats it for me on this until further notice. Here goes...

I dont hate Chad. I like the guy. I wish like hell I culd see the Chad of 2002 again. But its been 4 years and 2 shoulder surgeries since that Chad was around and I simply donot think we will ever see that Chad again.

Howveer, that said, I also dont think Chad is necessarily "done" as a starting QB in the NFL. I just think hes done with US as a starting QB in the NFL and that has as much to do with US as it does Chads skills. He had an average arm to begin wht and when we could keep defenses off balance with play fakes and misdirction, Chad was smart enough to find the open man and had tremndous tounch to lay the ball in there. Also, with Fabini, Mawae, KMac, Thomas, etc on his OL, he had the time to set up in the pocket and step into his throws hit a "pre toe" Coles, or speedy MOss, or pre conussion Chrebet or fake a handoff to 1300 yard Martin.

But those dyas are long gone. We now have a young and inexoperienced OL, limited skill players, and Chads arm may not be as strong after 2 suregries and natural aging. hes going to face massive pressure this year and not have the skill oplayers to keep Ds off balance. he is ot mobile and doesnt throw well when he is pressured or has to improvise. Thus, I dont think we are going to be very successful at all o O with him in there. IMO, Were going t see a LOT of dink and dunk, a lot of 3 and outs, and a lot of sacks.

Let me also be clear that I am not saying Ramsey or Clemens or Bolly is a better talent then Chad or has outplayed him...they havent. Chad is still the best "Talent" for the job right now. But to me Ramsey or even Bolly might be a better match for this team right now. IMO, whoever is QB is just holding the spot for Clemens until probably November anyway. Ramsey is stronger and will probably hold up longer against the blitzing and with his stornger arm, can throw better under pressure. Bolly...well we know he can run for his life. To me, Chads skill set is the WORST of the three when matched up wiht this O.

Finally, my apparant verve to unseat Chad is as muchabout the hypocrisy of many fans here as it is about Cahd. Ramsey has been smashed at EVERY turn by the Chad Lovers brigade. Meanwhile Chad is given excuse after excuse. Ramsey gets sacked n a blitz its because he held the ball too long and is indecisive. Cahd ges sacked on a blitz its because a RB missed a pick up. Ramsey makes a nice throw or throws a good block...its totally minimized. Chad throws one stinkin 20 yard in pattern to a wide open WR (a throw that ANY QB SHOULD make) and the whole world praises him like he just won the SB. Its hypocritical and risiculous. Neither guy has done dick this pre season and that is simple fact.

I understand wh many still suport Chad...we yearn for the guy we saw in 2002 and want badly to give him a chance to be that guy again. But circumstances as they are with both this team and this player, I dont see us having either a present or future wuith him. We'll see...I hoep I am wrong and if I am I will be the first to admit it. But I dont think I am. I think we will see Chad for 7 or 8 weeks this year. He will throw for his suuall high % but his YPA will be under 6 and we will struggle to score. If we are 3-5 or worse after 8 weeks, Clemens will enter for the rest of the year and Chad will be released this off season and Clemens and Ramsey (if Ramsey makes the team this year that is!)will be the QBs in 2007 (unless we draft one) . Just MO...but Im sticking to it.

Chad may go off to anohter team and do OK there but IMO his days of being the guy who will lead us to the SB are over. To me that window has closed.

*** The Hermy Error is OVER...Let the Tangini Era begin!!!! ***

nice post MSG-I think the consensus around the boards is this;If Chad looks like he's back to the form we all expect an NFL caliber QB to be in then we're all behind him-if he falters and shows he can't get the job done anymore I think you'll see a lot of us will fall right into that ready-to-move-on mode-we gotta give him a chance first-he won the job,now,the question is can he keep it..

nice post MSG-I think the consensus around the boards is this;If Chad looks like he's back to the form we all expect an NFL caliber QB to be in then we're all behind him-if he falters and shows he can't get the job done anymore I think you'll see a lot of us will fall right into that ready-to-move-on mode-we gotta give him a chance first-he won the job,now,the question is can he keep it..

probably right. I think he will play as long as he is at least semi-effective, regardless of the record. Until the team is all but eliminated. Then you will see either Ramsey or Clemens, probably both, as they hold an audition for 2007. If Ramsey wins, Chad may be gone before his bonus kicks in during the off-season. If Ramsey loses, Chad will stay as the competition to Clemens and Ramsey will be gone before his bonus kicks in during the off-season.

MSGold -- Ramsey might have been blasted unfairly in many cases. But here is my biggest concern. We see how shaky Chad (the offense in general) has looked in the preseason. If Ramsey couldn't beat him out by outplaying him in practice then I think the criticism he has received was warranted.

Chad might not be the answer long term. If his arm strength doesn't improve he won't be starting long. I think Cimini nailed it in one of our offseason chats here. He said Chad to start and then Clemens by week 8. That is looking like the best bet at this point.

If they are losing then get the kids some playing time. That was always my beef under the Rick Kotite's of the world. Glenn Foley sits while we watch Boomer get crushed. But I wouldn't go that route until the season is over (which might happen in week one, lol).

Last thing -- I think Chad is loved because he did what so few Jets have done before him. He sacrificed his career for this franchise. For a chance at the Super Bowl. He knew he was hurt badly. He felt the pain. Yet he put it all aside and went out there becasuse the coaching staff said that gave them the best chance to win.

When I watch T.O. and the modern day athlete sitting it out "because it doesn't feel right". When I hear athletes say that "Doctor's don't know my body", I think of Chad. And thank you is what comes to mind.

Granted they didn't get it done. They did not win the Super Bowl. But fill up a roster with players that have Chad's heart and the drought would end.

I think most reasonable, level headed fans know that Chad's days as a starter for the NY Jets are numbered.

This season is more about installing offenses and defenses, and evaluating talent, than anything. No, Mangini and co. are not about to give in and give up an entire season, but we are at least another year from competing seriously. We are in need of too many important pieces right now.

Chad starting is good; for us, for him and for the organization. It allows Schottenheimer to use him as a guinea pig for the new offense and give Clemens time to acclimate himself to the NFL. Chad can help in his progression, while also showcasing himself for other teams.

This is a win-win situation for us.

MSGold -- Ramsey might have been blasted unfairly in many cases. But here is my biggest concern. We see how shaky Chad (the offense in general) has looked in the preseason. If Ramsey couldn't beat him out by outplaying him in practice then I think the criticism he has received was warranted.

Chad might not be the answer long term. If his arm strength doesn't improve he won't be starting long. I think Cimini nailed it in one of our offseason chats here. He said Chad to start and then Clemens by week 8. That is looking like the best bet at this point.

If they are losing then get the kids some playing time. That was always my beef under the Rick Kotite's of the world. Glenn Foley sits while we watch Boomer get crushed. But I wouldn't go that route until the season is over (which might happen in week one, lol).

Last thing -- I think Chad is loved because he did what so few Jets have done before him. He sacrificed his career for this franchise. For a chance at the Super Bowl. He knew he was hurt badly. He felt the pain. Yet he put it all aside and went out there becasuse the coaching staff said that gave them the best chance to win.

When I watch T.O. and the modern day athlete sitting it out "because it doesn't feel right". When I hear athletes say that "Doctor's don't know my body", I think of Chad. And thank you is what comes to mind.

Granted they didn't get it done. They did not win the Super Bowl. But fill up a roster with players that have Chad's heart and the drought would end.

Bravo Max...excellent post! Never was a Chad guy myself, but you have to give the guy props all the way around. Devasating injuries to say the least and he could have easily said bye, bye.

The other 52 guys on the roster should all take note...except maybe for CM...he's right up there as well.

I think most reasonable, level headed fans know that Chad's days as a starter for the NY Jets are numbered.

This season is more about installing offenses and defenses, and evaluating talent, than anything. No, Mangini and co. are not about to give in and give up an entire season, but we are at least another year from competing seriously. We are in need of too many important pieces right now.

Chad starting is good; for us, for him and for the organization. It allows Schottenheimer to use him as a guinea pig for the new offense and give Clemens time to acclimate himself to the NFL. Chad can help in his progression, while also showcasing himself for other teams.

This is a win-win situation for us.

That was the best post on the entire PennyBoy debate.

I think Miami is 100% correct and that is Mangini's thinking as well.

Good sh!t Max, POTW Nom.

Correct. If you're Mangini and you drafted Clemens as your guy, you want him learning the ropes from Chad any day rather than Ramsey.

It's that simple.

Kudos to Chad for overcoming the two surgeries when many thought he could not. Our expectations for the TEAM should be tempered this year.

If Pennington performs at a level that indicates he has a future with us, that's gravy and so be it.

We all swore we bought into Mangini. If that's true then we should be buying into his decision to start Chad.

Max that is an excellent post.

POTW Nomination for sure!

Here is why Chad is the QB for today: he is being showcased as a model for Clemens:

-The way that he prepares for games

-The way that he studies, understands, and even questions a game plan

-The way that he will improvises a game plan and add to it through thoughtful coaches council

-The way that he mentally approaches a game.

DO NOT underestimate how important that the process that Chad takes before a game is for a young qb to emulate. Chad is the son of a coach and understands the preparation game better than most in teh NFL.

While Clemens may be the best long term answer for the Jets, he is not ready for life of the NFL. Not behind this line that will be learning itself. Not in an offense that no one on the team has mastered yet. Not in teh debilitating and mentally defeating circumstances that this team is going to find itself in this year.

No young QB would be ready for those things. What you do is get someoen that the qb can emulate and learn from. Chad is the best for Clemes to emulate.

Despite what Mangini says outwardly, this is about preparing the team for the future. The way you do that for a qb in these circumstances is to give him someone to mimic and emulate in preparation in a professional qb way. Chad is perfect for that

Here is why Chad is the QB for today: he is being showcased as a model for Clemens:

-The way that he prepares for games

-The way that he studies, understands, and even questions a game plan

-The way that he will improvises a game plan and add to it through thoughtful coaches council

-The way that he mentally approaches a game.

DO NOT underestimate how important that the process that Chad takes before a game is for a young qb to emulate. Chad is the son of a coach and understands the preparation game better than most in teh NFL.

While Clemens may be the best long term answer for the Jets, he is not ready for life of the NFL. Not behind this line that will be learning itself. Not in an offense that no one on the team has mastered yet. Not in teh debilitating and mentally defeating circumstances that this team is going to find itself in this year.

No young QB would be ready for those things. What you do is get someoen that the qb can emulate and learn from. Chad is the best for Clemes to emulate.

Despite what Mangini says outwardly, this is about preparing the team for the future. The way you do that for a qb in these circumstances is to give him someone to mimic and emulate in preparation in a professional qb way. Chad is perfect for that

probably a lot of truth to this-- even though greenbeans only lets gay jokes win, POTW nom right here.

Interesting especially because Schott has given the QBs full power to check down. Gone are the Vinny \ Hackett fights.

Vinny: I knew the clock was running out. I am lot allowed to change the play.

Hackett: He can change the play.

Vinny: No I can't.

Hackett: I know you are but what am I?

What an embarassment that was. Your O\C and QB fighting like children.

Could not have said it any better, and I'll always appreciate CP for that.

Could not have said it any better, and I'll always appreciate CP for that.

Don't you appreciate me for saving you the time it would have taken to type all that? lol.

I am rooting for Chad. I have been impressed with Clemens but I am not ready to write Chad off just yet. 0 and 3 should do the trick though.

I have been impressed with Clemens but I am not ready to write Chad off just yet.

Are you friggn' kidding me?

What the hell will PennyBoy bring to the future of the Jets organization?

(I'd like to hear your response Max)

Isn't it about time Jets fans cut ties with this 30-year old, never played a full season, LOSER and just move on?

Are you friggn' kidding me?

What the hell will PennyBoy bring to the future of the Jets organization?

(I'd like to hear your response Max)

Isn't it about time Jets fans cut ties with this 30-year old, never played a full season, LOSER and just move on?

What does a fan do? He roots for the team. I didn't say that Chad was a Hall Of Famer. Didn't say he would get it done.

Simply meant it would be nice if it happened. And as a fan I am rooting for him. As I have said in this thread he gave everything he had to this franchise.

As I have said in this thread he gave everything he had to this franchise.

I agree with you, PennyBoy has given the Jets organization everything but results on the football field.

As a fan, what do you want?

A nice touchy, feely comeback by PennyBoy, or a solid direction to move forward to compete for the Super Bowl?

You can't do the latter with noodle arm.;)

if you believe that than you know nothing about mangini. i gaurantee you that right now he thinks the jets are going to shock the world and make the playoffs this season. chad gives the jets the best chance to win, end of story.

I agree with you, PennyBoy has given the Jets organization everything but results on the football field.

As a fan, what do you want?

A nice touchy, feely comeback by PennyBoy, or a solid direction to move forward to compete for the Super Bowl?

You can't do the latter with noodle arm.;)

As a fan you root for the Pennington that led the league in passing. Please spare me the top 10 defense line, we have heard it from you before.

What a fan roots for has no say in the outcome of the game. Hate to break this news to you!

As a fan you root for the Pennington that led the league in passing.

When did PennyBoy ever lead the NFL in yardage and/or TD passes?

Oh, he led the NFL in that ridiculous "QB rating" stat where it rewards effciency and not productivity.

You can just put that award on your mantle right next to the Jets AFCE pre-season championship trophys.

Both mean exactly the same.;)

When did PennyBoy ever lead the NFL in yardage and/or TD passes?

Oh, he led the NFL in that ridiculous "QB rating" stat where it rewards effciency and not productivity.

You can just put that award on your mantle right next to the Jets AFCE pre-season championship trophys.

Both mean exactly the same.;)

That is great Tx. Did you read any of the early posts in this thread?

ASKED AND ANSWERED YOUR HONOR.

We have already established that Chad's body of work is not Hall of Fame material. The point of these posts was to say that many fans are rooting for him.

We also root for any girl at the stadium that flashes the jumbotron. That is not to say that we feel this girl could help the Jets. Sometimes we just like to root. Silly humans that we are, we just need to believe in something!

Do you all really think that Mangini truly beleives he and his Jets can win every game on the schedule? Why? Because he is the head coach? Are you telling me that - and I'll keep NE out of this for now - Mangini TRULY beleives he can beat Indy or Jax?

Let me tell you a story - from Patriot Reign (by Michael Holley):

Scene: Post SB Victory Party Feb 3, 2002. Belichick turns to (I think Mangini, but I'm not sure) and says: "can you believe we won the whole damn thing with these guys?" I'm guessing he was referring to the rookies, no-name wide-outs (ooops, here come TX and Kansas saying "told you!"), Tebucky Jones (lol!) Otis Smith, etc.....

Of course you prepare, of course you try to win, but deep down inside I suspect a coach understands a teams limitations and weaknesses - whether he admits to it or not. Sure, on any given Sunday - but how many Cinderalla stories can there be in one lifetime?

I think Mangini belives he has a CHANCE to win every game they play this year. I do not think he expects to win every one but expects the team to play hard and take advantage of oppertunities. He will win some against eual and lesser teams and he will steal some against better teams that are not expecting a street fight.

Do you all really think that Mangini truly beleives he and his Jets can win every game on the schedule?

I think every head coach believes they have a chance to win each game the team plays. It goes to their very competitive nature.

It is not a matter of looking at the schedule and saying "we will win every game", it is saying "we have a fighting chance to win each game on the schedule, one at a time."

The coaches will gameplan what they believe will be the most effective strategy for each game, knowing that even in a game where they are a 10 point underdog, upsets happen, a couple of key turnovers create momentum, and everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time.

To think otherwise is a loser mentality.

I think every head coach believes they have a chance to win each game the team plays. It goes to their very competitive nature.

It is not a matter of looking at the schedule and saying "we will win every game", it is saying "we have a fighting chance to win each game on the schedule, one at a time."

The coaches will gameplan what they believe will be the most effective strategy for each game, knowing that even in a game where they are a 10 point underdog, upsets happen, a couple of key turnovers create momentum, and everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time.

To think otherwise is a loser mentality.

Of course they TRY to win every game.....but honestly, I think Coaches look at things FAR more objectively then fans. Don't you think that Mangini - although he'll give good lip service - will be pleased with an 8-8 or 9-7 record and seeing his team improve and be competitive with each game this season. Then next season, expectations and improvement will make for higher expectations and goals?

That isnt what you asked in the previous post.

Do I think Mangini would be pleased with 8-8?

He'd be half-full, half-empty.

Personally, i think 9-7 would be a monster season, and i'd have to think he'd be pretty happy with that, but he would be looking to get at least three games better the next year.

That isnt what you asked in the previous post.

Do I think Mangini would be pleased with 8-8?

He'd be half-full, half-empty.

Personally, i think 9-7 would be a monster season, and i'd have to think he'd be pretty happy with that, but he would be looking to get at least three games better the next year.

He has stated before and he is well aware that this a a rebuilding process. So he's not gonna look at the record as much as the performance of young players and the progress. If they go 3-13 and make progress and actually get better and learn the game, he will be satisfied. If they go 3-13 making stupid mistakes and not really learning, of course he'll be pissed. You go into every game looking to win, yes, but with a team like this, you will be satisfied with progression and hard work.

Lot of sense in these posts.

2002 was simply a great season, and had they gotten past the Raiders, who knows? But it didn't happen. Somewhere along the way, Pennington gave his best, and left a good chunk of himself on the field for this franchise. And probably when he shouldn't have been on the field at all.And I wonder how that POS in KC sleeps at night knowing that, for all his weakness in arm, Edwards probably robbed years from Pennington's career by playing him too early in 2004, at all in 2005 and putting him back in the Jags game.

You can feel for the guy and respect the hell out of him and like him, and still think that Pennington's just holding the place for and mentoring Clemens. With the cash he's making there's no shame in that for either party. You might wish the story had a happy ending, but it isn't in the cards. It is what it is.

I see MSG's point about Ramsey, but let's be real-if Ramsey jumped up and grabbed this job by the throat, this is all moot. But he didn't.

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to get your thougths on a post I left at JA re: Chad. There has been a lot of debate about him and my osition is he is simply not the guy for us anymiore. This was my last post after a string of battles with Chad suporters. I want to know what you guys think.....

In an effort to not beat the subject into submission or have a season long debate with the likes of IBG, Slik and Pope, I am going to make my last statement on y opsition of Chad now to clarify and then thats it for me on this until further notice. Here goes...

I dont hate Chad. I like the guy. I wish like hell I culd see the Chad of 2002 again. But its been 4 years and 2 shoulder surgeries since that Chad was around and I simply donot think we will ever see that Chad again.

Howveer, that said, I also dont think Chad is necessarily "done" as a starting QB in the NFL. I just think hes done with US as a starting QB in the NFL and that has as much to do with US as it does Chads skills. He had an average arm to begin wht and when we could keep defenses off balance with play fakes and misdirction, Chad was smart enough to find the open man and had tremndous tounch to lay the ball in there. Also, with Fabini, Mawae, KMac, Thomas, etc on his OL, he had the time to set up in the pocket and step into his throws hit a "pre toe" Coles, or speedy MOss, or pre conussion Chrebet or fake a handoff to 1300 yard Martin.

But those dyas are long gone. We now have a young and inexoperienced OL, limited skill players, and Chads arm may not be as strong after 2 suregries and natural aging. hes going to face massive pressure this year and not have the skill oplayers to keep Ds off balance. he is ot mobile and doesnt throw well when he is pressured or has to improvise. Thus, I dont think we are going to be very successful at all o O with him in there. IMO, Were going t see a LOT of dink and dunk, a lot of 3 and outs, and a lot of sacks.

Let me also be clear that I am not saying Ramsey or Clemens or Bolly is a better talent then Chad or has outplayed him...they havent. Chad is still the best "Talent" for the job right now. But to me Ramsey or even Bolly might be a better match for this team right now. IMO, whoever is QB is just holding the spot for Clemens until probably November anyway. Ramsey is stronger and will probably hold up longer against the blitzing and with his stornger arm, can throw better under pressure. Bolly...well we know he can run for his life. To me, Chads skill set is the WORST of the three when matched up wiht this O.

Finally, my apparant verve to unseat Chad is as muchabout the hypocrisy of many fans here as it is about Cahd. Ramsey has been smashed at EVERY turn by the Chad Lovers brigade. Meanwhile Chad is given excuse after excuse. Ramsey gets sacked n a blitz its because he held the ball too long and is indecisive. Cahd ges sacked on a blitz its because a RB missed a pick up. Ramsey makes a nice throw or throws a good block...its totally minimized. Chad throws one stinkin 20 yard in pattern to a wide open WR (a throw that ANY QB SHOULD make) and the whole world praises him like he just won the SB. Its hypocritical and risiculous. Neither guy has done dick this pre season and that is simple fact.

I understand wh many still suport Chad...we yearn for the guy we saw in 2002 and want badly to give him a chance to be that guy again. But circumstances as they are with both this team and this player, I dont see us having either a present or future wuith him. We'll see...I hoep I am wrong and if I am I will be the first to admit it. But I dont think I am. I think we will see Chad for 7 or 8 weeks this year. He will throw for his suuall high % but his YPA will be under 6 and we will struggle to score. If we are 3-5 or worse after 8 weeks, Clemens will enter for the rest of the year and Chad will be released this off season and Clemens and Ramsey (if Ramsey makes the team this year that is!)will be the QBs in 2007 (unless we draft one) . Just MO...but Im sticking to it.

Chad may go off to anohter team and do OK there but IMO his days of being the guy who will lead us to the SB are over. To me that window has closed.

*** The Hermy Error is OVER...Let the Tangini Era begin!!!! ***

I agree with this entire post, esp the bold part I highlighted.

Chad gets nothing but excuses from Jets fans - poor OL play, backs not blocking, nobody is open, jolley sucks etc etc.

With Ramsey its - Damn this guy has no awareness. He holds onto the ball too long. He's not as smart as Chad.

PLEASE! Save the BS you chad homers. Chad is not football smart at all, and he has no instincts to sense the pass rush. You think the pats Oline is really any good? Hell no its not. But Brady knows how to step up or slide in the pocket to buy another split second and that makes him 10x the player Chad is. Chad drops back, a DE is coming on the outside rush, and Chad just plants himself back there and fumbles or gets sacked. And if he was so smart, ya know the rhode scholar, which has nothing to do with footbnall, why does he throw into triple coverage when other players are wide open?

Teams will be stacking the box and blitzing the hell out of us, and I guarantee you this: The offensive line will be called out for it by the fans and media. They will say the offensive line "sucks" and we have no threat at TE or running back.

That is all Chads fault because no DC respects his arm or his ability to avoid the pass rush.