Question for the Board

Tinstar2

Did pressure from the NY media forced Eric Mangini to Name Chad Pennington as the starting QB today.We all know that all the signs pointed to Chad being the starter,but Mangini had stated that untill someone stepped forward,he would continue his rotation of the QBs during practice.

Was it media pressure,Chad Pennington stepping up,his competition stinking up the joint or rumblings by players wanting to know where the stood that forced today's long awaited anouncement.

I don't believe that Mangini really cares what the media thinks, lol.

As far as being long awaited, I personally did not expect the starter to be named until one week before the season at the earliest.

Let me guess, you were a Leinart fan?

No,Jay Cutler.But that has nothing to do with the question.It's a legitimate question.If you notice,i made no mention of pressure from the fans,since according tothem,they didn't care.

No,Jay Cutler.But that has nothing to do with the question.It's a legitimate question.If you notice,i made no mention of pressure from the fans,since according tothem,they didn't care.

Too bad Jay didn't come out next year - he's gonna be a good one.

I think Mangini came announced his decision so that there is one less distraction for the players on offensive side of the ball. No more, no less.

Yes, it is a legitimate question Tin.

There's a great thread here started by MSGold this morning, "Re: Chad" that I think pretty much sums up, at least from a fan point of view, why he was named the starter.

I know you're looking more for Mangini's reasoning, not the fans, but unless you have the opportunity to ask Mangini himself, I think that's as close as you'll get for an answer.

Too bad Jay didn't come out next year - he's gonna be a good one.

I think Mangini came announced his decision so that there is one less distraction for the players on offensive side of the ball. No more, no less.

If that's true,or even part of the reasoning,then we may finally have the right man for the Job.That's what i'm looking for,someone young enough with a defensive mindset who can build a team the way Walt michaels built the sackexchange Jets...

It's all I care about,having my Jets be one of the best franchises year in and year out with a chance to win the championship yearly.

The thing that bothers me is that 2 days ago,Mangini was adamant about not naming the starter untill someone stepped up.

While it wasn't exactly breakout by any stretch, Penny's performance was easily the better of the 3. King Ramsey still looks lost out there and Clemens is too damn green to be thrown to the wolves this early.

TX called it right. Penny plays until injured or the bye week if the season is tanking. Clemens finishes the rest to groom him for next year.

He's got the most expierence, he outplayed the field of QB's in not only practice but in the Preseason games as well and Mangini doesn't want to throw a rookie into the fire. He'd rather give him time to mature ala Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, Pennington himself, etc.

Archived