Who woulda thunk it?

Green Jets & Ham

A month ago it seemed inconceivable, but the Yankees are now in an ideal position to rest their starters down the stretch as they prepare for October baseball

This is an enormous plus, as was often the case during the dynasty years

In recent years the division title has been a dogfight, a fight to the finish, and often times that seemed to wear on a veteran team like the Yankees ... no excuses, they just didn't close the deal, but its been awhile since we were in a position to just put it on cruise-control come September

Now there is no reason why the Yankees shouldn't enter the post season as a well rested team ... barring any significent injuries down the stretch, and lets hope that ships done sailed {we've certainly had our fill for one year}, the Yankees should strom into October with the pistol fully loaded

This is an enormous plus, and very unexpected

WELL DONE, YANKEES ... you put yourselves in the catbird seat

And I would be remiss if I didn't thank Theo, Luchinno and the Red Sox as well :thumbup:

BTW, don't look for the regulars to rest just yet

Here's how Torre usually handles this situation ...

He'll continue to GO HARD until this thing is mathematically decided, and then, with like ten days or two weeks to go, whenever this baby has been mathematically decided, you'll be watching a combination of the NY Yankees & Columbus Clippers till October baseball kicks off

This is a luxury we haven't had in a few years, but that's how Joe usually handles it

Though I do believe he will back off on his overworked relievers immediately, cats like Proctor and Villone

I believe their workload decreases substantially, starting right now

And of course Senior Smoke {i.e. Mariano} has seen the last of his two inning stints till October, and soon he will see the last of pitching on back-to-bak days as well ... once this baby is decided, BIG MO pitches JUST ENOUGH to stay sharp, and not one iota more

What a Great position to be in :thumbup:

And I would be remiss if I didn't thank Theo, Luchinno and the Red Sox as well :thumbup:

On behalf of the RSN and the Red Sox FO, you are welcome. :jawdrop:

Was it as ordered? On a sterling silver platter?

On behalf of the RSN and the Red Sox FO, you are welcome. :jawdrop:

Was it as ordered? On a sterling silver platter?

Was it as ordered?

Oh man, it could not have been served up any better, PFSIKH

This is like Surf & Turf ... with a bottle of DP tossed in, compliments of the house :thumbup:

The Yankees are a veteran team, and they really had to push their veterans this year with all of the injuries they sustained, so we needed this is the worse way! :wink:

good points gj& h. hope all is well with you.

who woulda thunk the sox would implode while sitting on their hands either? I'm amazed what a difference abreu's left handed batting has been to solidify this lineup

Abreu changed the entire dynamic of this team

His numbers as a Yankee have been outstanding, but what he added to this team goes so far beyond the actual numbers ... the numbers almost pale in comparison ... this cat added a patient veteran who takes a ton of pitches, works the pitcher to death, and that has rubbed off on the entire lineup

The addition of Craig Wilson has been outstanding as well, improved the bench by a wide margin and gave us a flexible RH hitter who hits lefties very well and can play multiple positions

Even Lidle has come up big in some important starts, most notably the Son of Massacre clincher

All in all the Yankees hit a HR at the deadline, while the Red Sox did nothing, and that pretty much decided the A.L. EAST ... that and the Yankees ability to stay within striking distance when THEY were the ones being decimated by injuries

But to answer your question, willy ... yes, I was shocked that the Red Sox did nothing at the deadline ... I'm still shocked ... that is not a small payroll team building for the future, they have the second or third highest payroll in baseball and a number of veterans who are there to win now ... so yeah, their approach at the deadline absolutely floored me

A month ago it seemed inconceivable that Ham would post again in this forum, but the Yankees are now in an ideal position to rest their starters down the stretch as they prepare for October baseball......thus, Ham is back talking dynasty, Abreu, etc until things turn sour again.

I'd be Quite if I were you ... the Yankees are gonna spank the Mets in the WS again, and if you think that last Subway Series {2000} was painful, you ain't seen nothing yet :wink:

FEAST YOUR EYES ON THIS, YANKEE FANS

A BEAUTIFUL SIGHT TO BEHOLD :thumbup:

AL EAST

======

NY Yankees .... 77-52

Red Sox .......... 71-61 = 7.5 GB

Blue Jays ........ 69-63 = 9.5 GB

Orioles ............ 59-72 = 19 GB

D-Rays ............ 52-80 = 26.5 GB

I tought the Jays would be a better team. And I am surprised the Devil Rays did not take the next step this season, especially when they got Baldelli back. But it all comes down to pitching, and they still have none.

Quite some bottom dwellers in that division

True, in a way. But, talking about bottom dwellers...........

Still, Jays would be leading everyone in the NL Wild Card race, and the Orioles would be only a few games behind the current NL leader.

Quite some bottom dwellers in that division

True.

But the Orioles would easily make the playoffs in the NL. And as the NL has shown, you only need 1 good pitcher to compete, and the Rays (with Kazmir) and that lineup would definetly be in the wildcard race.

The NL is so pathetic its not even funny. Watch out for the Dodgers though. Penny and that rookie are good enuff to win the NL pennant.

Here are the Yankees that need to be rested and ready to go for the postseason:

Mariano

Giambi

Mo is the key to the whole thing. This is nothing new. Giambi is in his 30's but has the makeup of a 50 year old (for reasons unknown, lol). Get him ready. Actually send him home for 2 weeks and just let him sleep.

The lead also gives them the luxury of:

• Trying to get ARODs head on straight
  • Seeing if any of the injured players can help
  • Dotel - see if he can remember what he used to pitch like

The rest is huge though. All this talk about rest has me tired. I am going to take a nap.

True.

But the Orioles would easily make the playoffs in the NL. And as the NL has shown, you only need 1 good pitcher to compete, and the Rays (with Kazmir) and that lineup would definetly be in the wildcard race.

The NL is so pathetic its not even funny. Watch out for the Dodgers though. Penny and that rookie are good enuff to win the NL pennant.

Dooshey of the day post.

Dooshey of the day post.

Please.

Look at the NL, none of those teams aside from the Mets, have as good of a lineup as the Orioles.

Roberts, Mora, Tejada, Markakis, Hernandez is a very good lineup.

Add in Eric Bedard and Chris Ray for pitching, the Orioles would easily make the playoffs in the NL.

It might be hard for Mets fans to believe, but with that pitching staff, they wouldnt make the playoffs in the American League.

Glavine would be a 4 inning pitcher. Pedro is decent at best at this point.

Trachsel stinks. Maine couldnt cut it with the Orioles.

Please.

Look at the NL, none of those teams aside from the Mets, have as good of a lineup as the Orioles.

Add in Eric Bedard and Chris Ray for pitching, the Orioles would easily make the playoffs in the NL.

It might be hard for Mets fans to believe, but with that pitching staff, they wouldnt make the playoffs in the American League.

You're crazy Barton.

Barton makes great points

the Orioles lineup would slaughter NL pitching

and the Mets would possibly win the AL West, but thats it

How many Orioles will finish 25 HR's - 100 RBI's?

How many Orioles will hit .300 with over 550 AB's?

What pitcher other than Bedard would anyone fear? Cabrera occassionally?

The Yanks went 3-3 against the Mets.

You've really posted some nonsense since Boston collapsed.

How many Orioles will finish 25 HR's - 100 RBI's?

How many Orioles will hit .300 with over 550 AB's?

Tejada obviously, and Roberts and Markakis would be solid as well

What pitcher other than Bedard would anyone fear? Cabrera occassionally?

The Yanks went 3-3 against the Mets.

You've really posted some nonsense since Boston collapsed.

1-good pitching is minimal in the NL

2-the yankees and mets have nothing to do with the Orioles and this conversation

3-mhm

Tejada obviously, and Roberts and Markakis would be solid as well

1-good pitching is minimal in the NL

2-the yankees and mets have nothing to do with the Orioles and this conversation

3-mhm

Today, 07:04 PM #22 blackout806 vbmenu_register("postmenu_296622", true);

www.Live-Squad.com

vCash: 500

im_aim.gif

Please.

Barton, you are out of your mind on this one.

baltimore won't be a contender until they do somethinbg about that band box they play in.

These teams with hitter's havens, make it near impossible to make playoff pushes continually. They just can't do it.

The Rockies wised up.

You have no basis to say that. No one does. The teams are made up differently in teh leagues on purpose, due to teh difference in teh leagues rules.

To say that you would arbitrarily slip one team or another in another league and say how they would do is pure silliness.

they were not built for that situation, and to make conjecture so, is downright wrong.

Barton, you are out of your mind on this one.

baltimore won't be a contender until they do somethinbg about that band box they play in.

These teams with hitter's havens, make it near impossible to make playoff pushes continually. They just can't do it.

The Rockies wised up.

I forgot to mention Jay Gibbons, he's pretty good too. Not to mention every team in the NL would take Kris Benson over their #3 or #4 starter in the playoffs. Lets not forget the Drays either, they have a damn good lineup, 2nd only to the Mets (maybe the Dodgers too) if it was in the NL.

Dont get me started on the bluejays.

Burnett, Lilly, Halladay, Chacin, BJ Ryan + that lineup = homefield advantage in the NL.

Archived