Corey Dillon

Garb

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not for nothing, but Curtis Martin is a SUPERB runningback - and he's about 100 years old in NFL RB years - with the mileage to prove it. I still beleive he was the best RB the Pats ever had. Although, Corey may make me revisit that soon enough....

OK YJF, time to put you on the spot.

Going into next season, which RB would you rather have and why?

WOW. That's tough. To pick between two excellent top of the line players. It will take me a few minutes to come up with an answer here.

OK, Since to me. It's even. The tie-breaker is that I am a Jets fan. I'd take Martin. If I was a Pats fan, I'd say Dillon.

I'm sorry. It's just too close in my opinion. Both guys are terrific runners.

If this was Brady vs Pennington. I'd take Brady. If this was Rodney Harrison vs Reggie Tongue, I'd take Harrison. If it was BB vs Herm. I'd take Belichick.

Contrary to savage's belief. A few months back, I ranked all the head coaches from 1 to 32. Belichick was #1. Edwards was #16.

:wink:

Not for nothing, but Curtis Martin is a SUPERB runningback - and he's about 100 years old in NFL RB years - with the mileage to prove it. I still beleive he was the best RB the Pats ever had. Although, Corey may make me revisit that soon enough....

What use to frost my butt about Martin was his inability to run over people! If he couldn't juke 'em at the line...down he went. I can think of only one playoff game that he really exceled. The fog bowl in Foxboro against the Stillers in '96.Pats

beat 'em 28-3 and Martin ran all around 'em. :)

What use to frost my butt about Martin was his inability to run over people! If he couldn't juke 'em at the line...down he went. I can think of only one playoff game that he really exceled. The fog bowl in Foxboro against the Stillers in '96.Pats

beat 'em 28-3 and Martin ran all around 'em. :)

That's what makes Martin an excellent RB.

He really doesn't have great speed. He's not really a power back. He doesn't run people over.

He's not outstanding in any one area but he's good in every area. He's a tough runner with tremendous vision and balance. He sets up his blockers so well. He reads the hole and hits it perfectly.

Probably his best asset is his vision. Sees the hole, hits it. There's no hesitation with Martin. He's smooth. He's got some nice moves too. Even in college, You saw that. At Pitt, He would fake guys out of their shoes.

Martin's 4.6 yard average last year is even more impressive when you consider how weak The Jets passing game was with a damaged QB and how Martin didn't have alot of long runs. He really was getting 4.6 yards a pop.

Usually, You have a back that gets stopped for no gain four times and then breaks a 25 yard run. There goes your 5 yard average.

Oh, for the love of good football. :shock:

I can not beleive barton uttered those words. #-o

Gotta give you kudos there barton. :wink:

Come on, I always tell it like it is. :lol:

Dillon is probably as fast as Martin, but he's about 100x as physical as Martin. And of course breaks more tackles.

Come on, I always tell it like it is. :lol:

Dillon is probably as fast as Martin, but he's about 100x as physical as Martin. And of course breaks more tackles.

You've been much better "telling it like it is".

You hit the nail on the head, Dillon is a much more physical back than Martin.

Give me on of those (who tend to wear down defenses) than a cutesey runner like Martin.

Give me on of those (who tend to wear down defenses) than a cutesey runner like Martin.

yeah, a 210 pound back who's made his living between the tackles is "cutesey."

Wow... uh.... who kidnapped Eric Barton and replaced him with a dispassionate non-homer?

Keep it up EB.... though I'm not holding my breath...

1) Martin has had a better career and has a more distinguished resume. He's pretty much a HoF lock I think, particularly with another year or two to pad his totals.

2) Dillon is a better running back.

He's the total package as a runner.... doesn't have top tier receiving skills but good GOD can he run. He's a horse, he's fast, he has GREAT vision, he's physical...

I watched a special team this year, and it was a privilege to watch Tom Brady play QB, to watch Harrison and Wilson play safety, to watch Seymour play DE.... but above all it was a privilege to watch Dillon run. The guy just has incredible, incredible talent and he's rock tough. It's a tragedy he spent most of his career in the football hinterlands.

yeah, a 210 pound back who's made his living between the tackles is "cutesey."

13, what games have you been watching?

The only time Martin "runs between the tackles" is on a 3rd and long draw play.

The majority of his career consists of running off-tackle runs where he usually breaks to the outside.

Jerome Bettis has made his living "between the tackles", not Curtis Martin.

Pats were the better team.

Martin had the better year of the 2 backs.

Martin 371 1697 4.6 12 TD's NFL Rushing Title

Dillon 345 1635 4.7 12 TD's Super Bowl Ring

If your a Team Guy Dillon had the better year..If

your about individual Honors Martin had the better

year!! =D>

Martin 371 1697 4.6 12 TD's NFL Rushing Title

Dillon 345 1635 4.7 12 TD's Super Bowl Ring

If your a Team Guy Dillon had the better year..If

your about individual Honors Martin had the better

year!! =D>

So post season stats don't fit into your analysis?

shelter, just curious how you came to that conclusion.

Was it yards per carry?

Performance against good teams?

Or because Martin wears a green uniform?

NFL rushing Champ sport.

What was the difference in yds per carry ?

Other then Colt game where was Dillon off the charts in the play-offs?

He had a similiar post season as Martin other than the Colt game.

Would I have a problem with either back? No.

but above all it was a privilege to watch Dillon run. The guy just has incredible, incredible talent and he's rock tough. It's a tragedy he spent most of his career in the football hinterlands.

I could not agree more. It shows what an incredible void has been in the New England backfield for the better part of their history.

Curtis is a great back in his own rights, but Dillon is truly a joy to watch. There were so many times I saw him last year and he looked dead to rights for a loss. My Antowain Smith thinking cap was on. Then Dillon would power through a tackle and get back to the line of scrimmage or more often then not turn it into a positive gain.

Dillon is going to make himself a Hall of Famer over the next few years.

He had a similiar post season as Martin other than the Colt game.

Post Season:

Martin- 37/143 yards, 3.9 average, 0 TD's, 0 runs 20+ yards.

Dillon- 65/292 yards, 4.5 average, 2 TD's, 4 runs 20+ yards.

Yep, those post season stats look quite similar to me as well. #-o#-o

Martin didn't get to run against the Colts.

True, but I do not remember Martin breaking any long gains against any team to change field position either. Dillon did that against the Steelers and Eagles.

And for some strange reason Martin didn't get to run against the Pats twice or the Steelers twice. :shock:

Attaching a smiley doesn't make you right Pal.

They are both good backs. IMO Martin had the better individual year while the Pats and Dillon obviously had the better team year.

And for some strange reason Martin didn't get to run against the Pats twice or the Steelers twice. :shock:

you're good with stats tx. who exactly did run well against PITT & NE?? PS both of those teams knew going in hackett had no interest in throwing the ball downfield. IMO, that has to be factored in.

you're good with stats tx. who exactly did run well against PITT & NE?? PS both of those teams knew going in hackett had no interest in throwing the ball downfield. IMO, that has to be factored in.

It does.

While Martin would benefit if Chad was more of a deep threat, Martin will also lose yardage. For every 20 yard pass Chad completes, this is for demonstartion purposes only, Martin will miss out on as much as 4 or 5 carries for those yards.

The point is Dillon is more of a homerun threat. Martin needs perfect execution in blocking for a hole to develop and him to run through it. Dillon's power allows him to blow up a would be tackler and get into the secondary. Granted, his speed was not what it used to be. It appears the 80+ TD runs days are gone, but he can still hit for 40-60 yards on a regular basis.

PS both of those teams knew going in hackett had no interest in throwing the ball downfield. IMO, that has to be factored in.

I agree with that 13.

However, neither the Pats or Steelers put 8 men in the box to stop Martin.

Both the Pats and Steelers defensive game plans were designed to stop PennyBoy's short to intermediate throws. In the 2nd Pats-Jets game, you saw how deep the Pats LB's dropped into coverage.

PFSIKH makes a valid point. Martin was ineffective of cleanly breaking through the LOS. If he was able to do that he would have had some long gainers.

I'm lazy today but I think James got about 140+

in the season opener vs the Pats..But I'm not sure.

He did and the Colts had about 200+ as a team.

That was actually a brilliant game plan by the Colts. PFK disected it pretty goond on KFFL one time.

Archived