Jets fear Chad won't be ready....(PFT)

Gang Green Girl

After Jets quarterback Chad Pennington suffered a shoulder injury during the 2004 regular season, we'd heard rumblings from within the organization that there was concern he had a torn rotator cuff. When Pennington returned to action after missing a few games, it looked like he didn't.

After the Jets' playoff run ended, the team admitted that they'd concealed the true extent of the damage, and that the cuff was indeed torn.

We're now hearing that there's some concern Pennington might not be ready for the 2005 season, and that the injury was more severe -- and the surgery to correct it was more extensive -- than the team has reluctantly acknowledged.

So in addition to intensifying rumors that veteran (which is a lot nicer than saying "old" or "decrepit") quarterback Vinny Testaverde will be coming back to New York, given that Drew Bledsoe has taken his place in Dallas, the Jets could be looking elsewhere for quarterback help.

Specifically, we've been told that Jeff Garcia's agent, Steve Baker, was seen meeting with Jets' officials on Thursday night in Indianapolis, where the football world is gathered for the annual Scouting Combine.

Garcia primarily has been linked to the Lions and Buccaneers following his release from the Browns.

Although free agency doesn't officially begin until next week, Garcia is free to sign with any other team now, since he's officially been released by Cleveland. A year ago, he was cut by the 49ers due to a salary cap impasse.

Back to Pennington, we suspect that the Jets will continue to put on a happy face ("this is my happy face") regarding his prognosis, just as they did during the 2004 season. Of course, since they've lied before, it'll be hard for anyone to accept anything they have to say on the topic moving forward.

We're now hearing that there's some concern Pennington might not be ready for the 2005 season, and that the injury was more severe -- and the surgery to correct it was more extensive -- than the team has reluctantly acknowledged.

Yep, a little minor surgery and he would be 100% for the start of mini-camp.

Right. :o:o

Can we start the first "FIRE HERM" thread?

I CALLED this sh*t the second Chad went out with the shoulder! I said if they brought him back with a bad RC to save what was becoming a lost season anyway and, as a result, pissed away 2005, then Herm should be SHOT.

Where's my boy, GOB????

I CALLED this Sh#t the second Chad went out with the shoulder! I said if they brought him back with a bad RC to save what was becoming a lost season anyway and, as a result, pissed away 2005, then Herm should be SHOT.

Where's my boy, GOB????

Gotta give you credit there TS.

I remember how people bashed you when you were calling for PennyBoy not to play the remainder of the season.

Also, good call by GOB saying the surgery is much more serious and he doubted that PennyBoy would be ready by the start of the season.

I CALLED this Sh#t the second Chad went out with the shoulder! I said if they brought him back with a bad RC to save what was becoming a lost season anyway and, as a result, pissed away 2005, then Herm should be SHOT.

Where's my boy, GOB????

If no one else noticed I congragulate you TS on your promotion to resident homo-nice to see you "rise" to the occasion!

Where's my boy, GOB????

suckin down crispy creams in his squad car in some abandon lot.. :lol:

if chad doesn't come back in 2004 he gets the name of being a pansy and not being able to play injured...

its not all Herm its teh medical staff & Chad also who make this call - to me if Chad missed the remainder of the season then we nevr make the playoffs last year..

oy... i too have been nervous since the surgery...i don't think brooks can do it either. i think it is time we move Ricky Ray up... give the boy a chance.

I'm with you on this one gg and surprised more Jets fans wouldn't want to see the same.

For crying out loud, Bollinger was removed from the game at Wisconsin in every passing down situation. He's an option QB and we all know how well those guys do in the NFL.

I can't believe everybody bought the company line that somehow CHad had undergone some miraculous, never seen before rotator cuff/labrum tear surgery and would be back crisp and clean by training camp.

I'm telling you, we better pray that Steve McNair asks out of Tennessee, and that he wants to play for Herm and Heimerdinger next year in a retirement parade. Otherwise, as of right now, the season is in SERIOUS jeopardy.

This is rehash of old news IMO when the surgery news first came out. The Jets staff seem to love Bollinger I honestly do not see what they see in him

What are our options?

1) Brooks Bollinger - The kid looked good in that game against Arizona when Quincy got his Coke head rung. Was it a product of playing Arizona or is this kid capable of moving the chains?

2) Vinny Spaghetti - A Rerun? I hope not. The guy is not fit for a WC type offense. Dinger will hopefully not approve of him being brought in.

3) Jeff Garcia - Too limp wristed to play in the NFL? He worked the WC system to perfection when he was in SF. Can it work here?

4) Kurt Warner - he wants to be a STARTER, not gonna happen when C. Penn signed for big contract.

5) brian Griese - Can you trust this guy not to implode? There is your answer

6) Jay Fiedler - Grew up a Jet fan, played for Dolphins. Can win games, but can he hold the fort til Chadwick comes back?

7) Jeff George -The guy has a cannon arm and a noodle head. They say he has reformed himself. I say, if Chicago let's him go, we should take a flyer on him. This guy can make ALL THE THROWS..

8) Ricky Ray - You have to be weary of ANY GUY NAMED RICKY. Seems like a Good QB outta the CFL, got a raw deal last summer but came back. Do we give him snaps?

I say we give Jeff George a shot.

LL

Vinny is not an option - he proved in Dallas that it was not just our OC he couldn't make plays for.

Brooks can work out - but do we want to a non experienced guy to start our season

Jeff Garcia - can't do the deep ball but knows how to execute the West Coast offense.

Kurt Warner - where is he going to start ? I would say let sign him to a one year contract - he still has the arm and with a good ground game it will alleviate alot

The two fre agents I would consider to bring in are Holcomb and McMahon.

McMahon probably wants to go some where he has a chance to start though.

Garcia is going to Detroit with Mariucci IMO

Warner forget about it -he is a sitting target back there-besides he is a Giant reject

Would you rather have Maddox or Kordell start for you, SP? :lol:

Neither? :lol:

Hey ya can go through the list of our starters all the way back to 83 and ask how the hell have we made so many PO appearances. :lol:

But given the choice between Stewart or Maddox i say go to the shotgun, put Madddox in, place head between knees, and listen for crowd noise to tell ya how well we did. :lol:

Neither? :lol:

Hey ya can go through the list of our starters all the way back to 83 and ask how the hell have we made so many PO appearances. :lol:

But given the choice between Stewart or Maddox i say go to the shotgun, put Madddox in, place head between knees, and listen for crowd noise to tell ya how well we did. :lol:

OK, see how you feel about that ONE position? Multiply that by 22 and you know how Jets fans have felt for 30 years.

Think Hermy will be smart enough to adjust the offense this time around?

I can just picture Jeff George making all those snappy progression reads in a WCO and finding the open receiver.

I may hang myself.

Tex, when I die, I bequeath you my share of jetnation.com and my mod duties. Make me proud.

Don't worry Tom Shane, it's not like there's another good team in the division to worry about. Even without Pennington, even with Pennington OUT FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR and probably NEVER THE SAME QB AGAIN it's not like there are any serious opponents in the division....

Oh wait...

I despise you RS. :lol:

Don't worry Tom Shane, it's not like there's another good team in the division to worry about. Even without Pennington, even with Pennington OUT FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR and probably NEVER THE SAME QB AGAIN it's not like there are any serious opponents in the division....

Oh wait...

What, do you want him to hand you the rope and help hang him? :lol:

Not for nothing, but I've been worried that Chad won't be ready for his entire career and still am. The kid just isn't ready and probably never will be. C'mon - he gets hurt a lot, has a rag arm, comes up small against good defenses and gets carried by CuMart. He's JAG.

I'd take each and every one of these QBs over him right now:

Garcia

Fiedler

Warner

Griese

Brad Johnson

Archived