Phillip Hughes ranked #1 prospect

Blackout

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/hotsheet/262386.html

in his last start he went 6 innings, gave up one run and struck out 13

For a third straight week, a Yankee leads the Hot Sheet--after righthander Tyler Clippard topped the list two weeks ago, Hughes climbed into the No. 1 spot and remains there again this time around. Though he's been limited by a strict pitch count since the all-star break, the 20-year-old has put up ridiculous numbers--the most stellar of which came in August when he finished the regular season 4-0, 0.60 with a 40-6 strikeout-walk ratio in 30 innings. Now, Hughes gets the ball in the opener of Trenton's postseason run tonight, facing Portland righthander Devern Hansack. On the season, Hughes finished 12-6, 2.16 in 146 innings between high Class A Tampa and the Thunder.

ok, big jump from single a to majors,,aka,,big leaguers hit curve balls and sit on fastballs

he's in AA which is just as good a league as AAA basicly, not single A. and he's dominating AA not just pitching well. Pitchers who dominate AA are almost always good major leaguers and he's doing it as the youngest player in the entire eastern league.

Hughes made a couple of starts in A ball and after those couple of weeks he was sent to AA where he has been dominnant . The Yankees are treating him with kid gloves and basically wanted to keep him in the warmer weather in Tampa for a few weeks before sending him up to Trenton.

I agree they should trade him for a sore elbow'ed Zambrano, lol.

who said trade,, i just said calm down kiddies

and old met trades by old regime is gettin old,,

its like bringin up horrendous yankee teams in doldrrum years pre George,,

old news,,

by the way,, gettin close to ,,well u know ;)

who said trade,, i just said calm down kiddies

and old met trades by old regime is gettin old,,

its like bringin up horrendous yankee teams in doldrrum years pre George,,

old news,,

by the way,, gettin close to ,,well u know ;)

Dude, still think Jose Contreras will win the cy young? LOL

Hughes is in AA, not single A.

he's in AA which is just as good a league as AAA basicly, not single A. and he's dominating AA not just pitching well. Pitchers who dominate AA are almost always good major leaguers and he's doing it as the youngest player in the entire eastern league.

:-s

I am not saying he is not a real good prospect, but let's see him actually pitch in the majors.

The list of "never was" is full of pitchers that just can't make the jump.

I am not saying he is not a real good prospect, but let's see him actually pitch in the majors.

You can very well be right PFSIKH...but, the thing I like is that the Yanks have brought this kid along slowly and have stood pat on not trading him for some quick fix.

We'll just have to wait and see.

You can very well be right PFSIKH...but, the thing I like is that the Yanks have brought this kid along slowly and have stood pat on not trading him for some quick fix.

We'll just have to wait and see.

True.

Maybe the Yankees are finally seeing their prospects as actual contributors to build around, instead of trade bait.

True.

Maybe the Yankees are finally seeing their prospects as actual contributors to build around, instead of trade bait.

Cano, Wang and Melky have all contributed bigtime this year, PFSIKH

Jeter, Mariano, Posada, Bernie ... all home grown

At the least I think the Yankees can match the Bosox player for player when it comes to home grown talent

I Just Gave you seven off the top of my head, four vets and three neophytes, do the Sox have more?

that list dosn't have pitchers who put up the numbers hughes is at the age he is. he's a lock to be good. the question is HOW good.

True.

Bro that is a terrible post. Just terrible. Blast the Yankees as you see fit but if the Yankees have 5 prospects they have done an incredible job of keeping the right 2 and trading the other 3.

Eric Miltion was a HUGE prospect. They got Chuck in here who help bring some rings. Yet they keep pitchers like Mo and Wang, Petite. The core group of guys that has 4 rings -- we all know where they played minor league ball!

Bro that is a terrible post. Just terrible. Blast the Yankees as you see fit but if the Yankees have 5 prospects they have done an incredible job of keeping the right 2 and trading the other 3.

Eric Miltion was a HUGE prospect. They got Chuck in here who help bring some rings. Yet they keep pitchers like Mo and Wang, Petite. The core group of guys that has 4 rings -- we all know where they played minor league ball!

Where does that 220 mill payroll come from, where does it come from?

Where does that 220 mill payroll come from, where does it come from?

If the Yankees win this year it will be because of the payroll. OBVIOUSLY. But look at the years that the Yankees payroll got out of control -- they won nothing.

he's a lock to be good.

A lock huh? :rolleyes: Your Yankee homerism is blinding you. There are no locks to make it. He looks like the real deal. Just like Tony Mandriach looked like the greatest OL when drafted by the Packers.

Again, I am not saying he sucks. He looks like the real deal. However, until he steps on a mound and actually pitches consistently over a period of years. He is a prospect with a ton of potential. No more no less.

Max

What is the difference between the core with 4 rings and the players GJH listed as coming up recently from the arm system? 10 years by my count.

Whether spurred by the Sox trying to build from within or just adoption of a new philosphy, the Yankees have dealt more prospects then developed over the past 10 years.

GJH

I am skeptical of the Yanks claiming development of Wang. Like with other other internationals, they can pick and choose where they go. Even through the normal draft, a player can narrow down the teams that will draft them if they start throwing up big signing bonuses.

GJH

I am skeptical of the Yanks claiming development of Wang. Like with other other internationals, they can pick and choose where they go. Even through the normal draft, a player can narrow down the teams that will draft them if they start throwing up big signing bonuses.

The difference with Wang vs other foreign players is that he was in the Yankee system since 2000, when he was 20 years old. Ad in a major arm injury that required surgery and sidelined him for the better parts of 2 seasons, and the Yankees can rightfully claim that they developed him.

BTW - I have seen Hughes live in Trenton this year. He is the real deal. No mistake about it.

The difference with Wang vs other foreign players is that he was in the Yankee system since 2000, when he was 20 years old. Ad in a major arm injury that required surgery and sidelined him for the better parts of 2 seasons, and the Yankees can rightfully claim that they developed him.

BTW - I have seen Hughes live in Trenton this year. He is the real deal. No mistake about it.

Probably so.

I am just saying there are no locks until that player performs in MLB. He might look like a future HofFer in the minors. Then reality sets in.

Max

What is the difference between the core with 4 rings and the players GJH listed as coming up recently from the arm system? 10 years by my count.

Whether spurred by the Sox trying to build from within or just adoption of a new philosphy, the Yankees have dealt more prospects then developed over the past 10 years.

You guys can't have it both ways. The Yankees farm system helped produce the championships that started in 1996.

After that they went off base. Bringing in the Giambi's and ARod's of the world is George being George.

BUT -- what players did they deal away that would have helped the Yankees win it all in the past 6 years? NONE. But they are back.

They will win it this year. Next year I am not sure about because the age in the rotation is a concern. Wang and Moose have to have good years. They would need Pavano to bounce back to have a shot.

But then in 2008 they will probably win and start another streak of like 5 out of 7 years. #-o Alright I was being serious when I started this post.

I really doubt he'll get injured. They've been watching his pitch count and his mechanics and everything very closely ever since he got injured and missed the most part of a season. He might get a minor injury, unless there is a freak injury where he gets hit by a ball etc. Unless in AAA if they let him pitch away and not watch what I said above..

He has loads of potential and could be great. That's not a gaurantee that he will be great, because you never know what will happen. As long as the Yanks don't trade him I'll be happy (and if he stays healthy.)

I really doubt he'll get injured. They've been watching his pitch count and his mechanics and everything very closely ever since he got injured and missed the most part of a season. He might get a minor injury, unless there is a freak injury where he gets hit by a ball etc. Unless in AAA if they let him pitch away and not watch what I said above..

Lets hope we dont hire Dusty Baker as our pitching count coach after he gets canned. :)

Archived