Favorite Movie Lines

djaparz

quote_sm.gif"We Romans are rich. We've got a lot of gods. We've got a god for everything. The only thing we don't have a god for is premature ejaculation, but I hear that that's coming quickly." 
History of the World, Part 1 (1981)

Play clip (excerpt): History of the World, Part 1

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C., he could end up an M.I.A., and then we'd all be put on K.P."
Good Morning, Vietnam (1987)

Play clip (excerpt): Good Morning, Vietnam

16 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Michael to Stan: "No means no".

I watched that from start to finish for the first time in 30 years last week.  I forgot how great it is.  The best part is how much time the director devotes to the wedding scene, you really get to know the characters.  You don't see that anymore.  Its 10 minutes of set-up and cue the explosions for the most part

I forgot how little of the movie takes place in vietnam (the first time anyway) but every second is so powerful.

I was all alone watching it, and my heart was racing even though I knew what happens. 

Then the parts where michael comes home and can't deal.

so powerful

15 minutes ago, Larz said:

I watched that from start to finish for the first time in 30 years last week.  I forgot how great it is.  The best part is how much time the director devotes to the wedding scene, you really get to know the characters.  You don't see that anymore.  Its 10 minutes of set-up and cue the explosions for the most part

I forgot how little of the movie takes place in vietnam (the first time anyway) but every second is so powerful.

I was all alone watching it, and my heart was racing even though I knew what happens. 

Then the parts where michael comes home and can't deal.

so powerful

I have been wanting to show my son "The Deer Hunter" for the last few years.  For some reason, it's not rentable.  Finally, last week, I ordered the anniversary edition on Bluray/DVD. 

Like you, the film did not disappoint.  I had remembered it being incredible (saw it in 1978), and was pleased that my son loved it, too.  We were all teary eyed at the end.

Cimino's work is long form story telling at its finest. Setting up the story via the workplace and wedding scene is inspired brilliance.  Then, boom, right to hunting and Vietnam, with it's horrifically iconic "Mao" scenes.  I love how Cimino's vision for the wedding scene is both an homage and departure from Coppola's in "The Godfather".  Really glad that you still dug the flick, Larz.

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I have been wanting to show my son "The Deer Hunter" for the last few years.  For some reason, it's not rentable.  Finally, last week, I ordered the anniversary edition on Bluray/DVD. 

Like you, the film did not disappoint.  I had remembered it being incredible (saw it in 1978), and was pleased that my son loved it, too.  We were all teary eyed at the end.

Cimino's work is long form story telling at its finest. Setting up the story via the workplace and wedding scene is inspired brilliance.  Then, boom, right to hunting and Vietnam, with it's horrifically iconic "Mao" scenes.  I love how Cimino's vision for the wedding scene is both an homage and departure from Coppola's in "The Godfather".  Really glad that you still dug the flick, Larz.

So cool you could watch it with your son, my son is 10 so he's a long ways away from this movie !

I don't think I ever saw the whole movie, just bits and pieces over the years. 

I always go to imdb after a movie like that, all of the slap scenes in the mao secenes were real slaps, and they had live rounds in the guns !!!!   also, cimino told walken to spit in deniro's face at the end, and was amazed he actually did !

weird side note, I saw something on TV today that there still might be american POW's in Laos.  I thought of Nicky right away.  very disturbing

Little Bill Daggett: You'd be William Munny out of Missouri. Killer of women and children.

Will Munny: That's right. I've killed women and children. I've killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you did to Ned.

Clint Eastwood as Will Munny to Gene Hackman as Little Bill in Unforgiven

Archived