Bye Bye Nuge

4HCrew

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would really have been something if Mangini opted for the two-point try after the Jets scored the go-ahead touchdown. It wouldn't have shocked me to see that happen. It also wouldn't surprise me if another kicker is brought in for a tryout this week. Hell, we might even see Ben Graham booming 55 yd field goals in practice this week.

I guarantee you none of that will happen.

Mangini is not an idiot. He knows that he needs Nugent to be the kicker that he knows he is. Trying out other kickers for the job would only make this matter worse for Nugent, and I think Mangini realizes this.

Then again, he has no real ties to Nugey. But dont count on billy cundiff showing up at the Jets complex this week.

Every single kicker in the NFL?

Name one.

Not XP and 2 missed FGs in the same game. But I know for a fact that Vinatieri has missed at least 1 XP in his career, and I know that Vanderjagt has shanked 2 in 1 game, and Vinatieri probably has too..

I'll try and look it up. Hold on, ya beyatch. :)

Mangini is not an idiot. He knows that he needs Nugent to be the kicker that he knows he is. Trying out other kickers for the job would only make this matter worse for Nugent, and I think Mangini realizes this.

Then again, he has no real ties to Nugey. But dont count on billy cundiff showing up at the Jets complex this week.

Well there is no "doghouse" to put a kicker in. You can't sit him, or put him deeper in the rotation. He is IT. The way to light a fire under a kicker's ass is to bring in someone just for the hell of it.

Are laps going to help him make gimmes?

He should be cut. I'd rather have Todd Peterson, he with the range of 45 yards. At least he is automatic from spots other than the one yard line.

I would NOT cut him after one disastrous game, and that's what it is.

Last season he was 22 for 28 on fgs, a 78.6% Longest 49 XPs 24-24.

If he has another disastrous outing next week or so, then you have to think he is losing his confidence.

He definitely gets a chance to redeem himself before Ithink about cutting him.

Vinatieri:

October 14, 2001

1 missed XP. 2 missed field goals.

November 11, 2001

4 missed field goals vs buffalo

December 9, 2002

3 missed field goals

He's had plenty of bad games, this is just from 2001. He's got some stinkers in 2002 as well, and I'm not gonna waste my time looking up his other seasons. If you want to look up what Vanderjagt or Jason Hanson have done, I'm sure you'll see plenty of crappy games and missed XPs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barton viewpost.gif

Well there is no "doghouse" to put a kicker in. You can't sit him, or put him deeper in the rotation. He is IT. The way to light a fire under a kicker's ass is to bring in someone just for the hell of it.

They have to bring in free agent kickers to let everyone on the team know there are no sacred cows-produce or be gone. Mangini doesn't owe Nugent a damn thing. Those are gimme kicks; even Nugent knows that. This team isn't good enough to let 7 points go wanting.

Beyatch?

Just go to bed. Seriously, go to bed.

Take a chill pill.

And I just replied to your question.

Yes, the great adam vinatieri has missed an XP and 2 field goals in the same game.

I'm sure Belichick is still reeling about not cutting his a## after that game!

DOH!

What were the distances?

40-49

I'm not gonna say what Nugent did today was acceptable, because it wasnt. But he more than deserves a second chance. Thats all I am saying here.

I cant find the stats for Vinatieris 1st or 2nd season, but I know his rookie season he missed more than 1 XP and plenty of FGs.

40-49

I'm not gonna say what Nugent did today was acceptable, because it wasnt. But he more than deserves a second chance. Thats all I am saying here.

Didn't he pull this sht, before? Barton, you do realize that this offense sucks, right? We're not going to play the Titans every week. We may even have to play a good team with a good defense. There will be times when we won't get much closer to to goal post than today. If Nugent cant hit those, we wont score.

This is a serious problem.

Comprende?

Didn't he pull this sht, before? Barton, you do realize that this offense sucks, right? We're not going to play the Titans every week. We may even have to play a good team with a good defense. There will be times when we won't get much closer to to goal post than today. If Nugent cant hit those, we wont score.

This is a serious problem.

Comprende?

Listen, it was a huge problem, TODAY.

Lets see if its a huge problem next week before we cut the kid.

His trackrecord speaks for itself. 55 yard game winners in front of 100,000 people? Pretty friggen damn good, and a solid rookie season. I'm not gonna cut the guys throat. We won the damn game and I'm sure Nugent is having a positive outlook because of that. He'll work on his game and he'll be fine.

If he does it again. OK then we got a problem.

Listen, it was a huge problem, TODAY.

Lets see if its a huge problem next week before we cut the kid.

His trackrecord speaks for itself. 55 yard game winners in front of 100,000 people? Pretty friggen damn good, and a solid rookie season. I'm not gonna cut the guys throat. We won the damn game and I'm sure Nugent is having a positive outlook because of that. He'll work on his game and he'll be fine.

If he does it again. OK then we got a problem.

What if the Jets lost? Do you have any idea how sick you would feel right now? And I saw the way you were bashing Chad on the game thread. And that other kid, 117 bashing the O-line. That was BS.

Nugent dodged a bullet.

What if the Jets lost? Do you have any idea how sick you would feel right now? And I saw the way you were bashing Chad on the game thread. And that other kid, 117 bashing the O-line. That was BS.

Nugent dodged a bullet.

Haven't got around to reading the game thread.

How could you possibly bash Chad? The dude made ONE terrible play the entire game. It happens to every QB. Hell, Tom Brady had given up 6 the other way 10 seconds into the Pats' game. Chad had his best game in two years. No way he can be bashed right now.

If nugent was on his game, the Jets would have won 30-7. Other than him, and Barrett, and Sean ryan, who had a disappointing debut, the rest of the guys played well enough to feel like they won 30-7.

I wonder what the message boards would have been like in 1967 when Namath threw 5 picks in a game. Cut him?

If nugent was on his game, the Jets would have won 30-7. Other than him, and Barrett, and Sean ryan, who had a disappointing debut, the rest of the guys played well enough to feel like they won 30-7.

I wonder what the message boards would have been like in 1967 when Namath threw 5 picks in a game. Cut him?

Joe Namath was not a KICKER. Have you ever heard of a starting QB not named Bernie Kosar that gets dumped in mid-season?

There will be 3 or 4 kickers this year alone that get the axe this season. They are a dime a dozen. Just so happens, we ****ed up and spent a dollar on one. Doesn't mean we should keep him around while he hurts the team.

Joe Namath was not a KICKER. Have you ever heard of a starting QB not named Bernie Kosar that gets dumped in mid-season?

There will be 3 or 4 kickers this year alone that get the axe this season. They are a dime a dozen. Just so happens, we ****ed up and spent a dollar on one. Doesn't mean we should keep him around while he hurts the team.

You missed the point. Too much knee-jerk reaction to a guy who had a bad day. He was pretty good last year, and had a bad game today. It happens.

If it continues, that's another story, but right now its one bad game.

Normally I am a "give him a chance" sort of dude... But I'll tell you this: I can kick an Extra Point with a near-100% chance of success. I am not paid millions to do this. I am not ready to give up on the kid yet... he had so much talent coming into the league, but we really can't let him keep kicking for us unless he gets consistent.

Normally I am a "give him a chance" sort of dude... But I'll tell you this: I can kick an Extra Point with a near-100% chance of success. I am not paid millions to do this. I am not ready to give up on the kid yet... he had so much talent coming into the league, but we really can't let him keep kicking for us unless he gets consistent.

Exactly. An extra point???

You missed the point. Too much knee-jerk reaction to a guy who had a bad day. He was pretty good last year, and had a bad game today. It happens.

If it continues, that's another story, but right now its one bad game.

No, I get the point.

You are missing my point that Nugent is a damn kicker. His numbers looked solid last year, but how many pressure kicks did he make? How many of his kickoffs were downed in the end zone?

Nugent was a disappointment last year and he has started off even worse this year. When IS it time to cut our losses? When he shanks a 27-yarder next week and we lose to New England?

We drafted this guy to do what Doug Brien couldn't do. Thus far in his career, he has been no Doug Brien. And, not in a good way. Brien had one bad game. And we sent him packing (justifiably). If you can't trust your kicker to make a 30-yarder, then really, why is he on the team? Because of where he was DRAFTED?

Street free agents could have made those kicks. I know, we should give Nugent a break because he was kicking in the Kicker's Hell known as Adelphia Colliseum. Anyone care to look up Joe Nedney or Rob Bironas' stats? If Nugent can't make kicks in September there, how is he going to make meaningful kicks in December in the swirling winds of the Meadowlands?

Bad pick, time to move on.

It's easy to say that, because the Jets won. C'mon, if they lost this would have been devastating. Absolutely demoralizing.

As it was, it took a lot of my enjoyment out of watching them win today.

He deserves an F.

Barrett gets a D and so does Sean Ryan.

Everyone else graded out pretty well, so i am willing to write it off to a bad day unless it happens again.

Doug Brien had his bad game at the worst possible time. And since it was the end of the season, the time was right to release him.

I dont see a lot of reliable kickers out there who can be brought in tomorrow.

Having a bad game isnt the end of the world. Like I said three times, it is ONE game, but if the pattern continues, then you have to bring in a couple of chumps for tryouts.

He showed last year he can put the ball thru the uprights enough to warrant a chance to redeem himself, and I'm glad some of you arent the gm.

Doug Brien had his bad game at the worst possible time. And since it was the end of the season, the time was right to release him.

I dont see a lot of reliable kickers out there who can be brought in tomorrow.

Having a bad game isnt the end of the world. Like I said three times, it is ONE game, but if the pattern continues, then you have to bring in a couple of chumps for tryouts.

He showed last year he can put the ball thru the uprights enough to warrant a chance to redeem himself, and I'm glad some of you arent the gm.

You're comparing Brien's missed kicks to Nugents? The only reason Nugent is on the team right now is so he will make the kicks Brien missed.

Brien would not have missed the kicks Nugents missed today.

Archived