Bye Bye Nuge

4HCrew

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You brought it up, and I am showing you how the timing of their one bad game dictates different results for their careers.

Brien was fried mentally. That is why we cut him.

What's Nugent's problem? Has to be mental, no? His leg may have lady-like power, but he should still hit those kicks. Is he fried mentally? If he is, and the coaching staff believes he is, to quote a terrible baseball announcer, "He gone!".

BTW, here is the REAL bottom line: We drafted Nugent so we would have a kicker that would make the two kicks that Doug Brien missed. Can you honestly tell me that, same situation, Nugent would knock even ONE of those kicks home? You and I both know that he wouldn't. THAT is what makes him a failure.

Doug Brien had his bad game at the worst possible time. And since it was the end of the season, the time was right to release him.

I dont see a lot of reliable kickers out there who can be brought in tomorrow.

Having a bad game isnt the end of the world. Like I said three times, it is ONE game, but if the pattern continues, then you have to bring in a couple of chumps for tryouts.

He showed last year he can put the ball thru the uprights enough to warrant a chance to redeem himself, and I'm glad some of you arent the gm.

you presuppose we're looking for a replacement for someone who is reliable. we only need to find someone who is slightly less unreliable. gotta be some retreads out there who can kick 30 yarders and PATs.

Who?

i don't pretend to know a lot about kickers but there are dozens every year who graduate from div I schools and don't get picked up. can't be hard to find someone who would've hit at least ONE of those today. seriously, two 30 yarders and a PAT??? come on.

one major reason would be to make a statement. mistakes are one thing, out and out incompetency is another. mangini should cut him loose-- don't want to create a climate of fear but this is akin to running the wrong way and scoring in the wrong endzone or tripping over your own feet when wide open walking in for a TD. unacceptable.

They aren't going to cut him until they have a replacement that is proven to be better. Mangini's not one who would cut off his nose to spite his face and I'm sure he doesn't give a white rats azz where he was drafted. The thing that's most troubling is whatever his problem is - it's 99% mental and this guy is a pretty solid citizen. It's not like he's got a half pint stuffed in his pads like Vaderjack-off. Can you imagine the miniscule adjustments that make the difference between what he did today and splitting the uprights? I'm not sticking up for him and if there's much more of this crap he has go but hopefully he's sharp enough figure out his inconsistancy. There will be a lot of pressure on him to do that and do it quick.

If you spent the last five weeks demanding that Ramsey should start.

I called him a loser after he fumbled the ball and gave them a TD. I'm sure you werent calling him any names in your head or at the tv when that happened? Sure.

I wasnt bashing him at all. I said he was impressive. But he cant sense the pass rush to save his life, thats just fact, not bashing.

1. Nugent has been shaken for 17 games now

That makes no f##king sense. He was good last year, just as good as Vinatieri.

You're worried about kickoffs, but he gets good hangtime on them which is more important. How many were returned last year for TDs? Stop b#tching about his kickoffs, he made his field goals last year and kicked well.

Every f##king kicker in the NFL has missed these "gimme field goals", so STFU and give him a damn second chance before you cut him. Jesus Christ.

That makes no f##king sense. He was good last year, just as good as Vinatieri.

You're worried about kickoffs, but he gets good hangtime on them which is more important. How many were returned last year for TDs? Stop b#tching about his kickoffs, he made his field goals last year and kicked well.

Every f##king kicker in the NFL has missed these "gimme field goals", so STFU and give him a damn second chance before you cut him. Jesus Christ.

Mr_Slave.jpg

I

If he does this next week or the week after that then we can think about cutting him. He missed 2 easy FGs and an XP, that has happened to every single f##king kicker in the NFL. Maybe not all 3 in 1 game, but I know that Vinatieri has missed some XPs. And 2 FGs in 1 game, probably Vanderjagt too.

There are no better kickers available. Nugent will bounce back, you have to give him that opportunity! If he doesnt bounce back, then you consider cutting him, maybe.

He'll bounce back and be more than good for us, and I will gladly bump this thread back up from the past and laugh at every one of you who said we should "CUT HIM NOW!!!!"

I agree 100%:yahoo:

Personally I have seen enough of Nugent's act to say with confidence that he sucks. It would be one thing if he has been an average kicker who now all of the sudden had a bad game - but nugent has not shown me one flash in a year and a game that gives me any hope he is any better than the next guy off the street.

I thought it was a distant memory but its back.

For years when John Hall walked out on the field to try a field goal my

heart skipped a beat. For a few years now I've been calm. Now when Nugent

walks out on the field....... it's back.

Please do not insult John Hall by comparing him to Nuggent.

I called him a loser after he fumbled the ball and gave them a TD. I'm sure you werent calling him any names in your head or at the tv when that happened? Sure.

I wasnt bashing him at all. I said he was impressive. But he cant sense the pass rush to save his life, thats just fact, not bashing.

What qb can sense a 4.3 running corner coming unblocked from his blind side? I've seen Stabler, Staubach, Montana, Young all wrecked by the same kind of blitz.

Well we are starting pretty early tossing Nugent under the bus after a week 1 win nonetheless. Bottom line is that he had a very bad game and thats all it was. We need to just move on from here and see how he rebounds. If its a mechanics issue, than it can and will be fixed. However, until it is proven to be a mental issue where he just can't perform, then that will be his demise. I will not start looking for a new kicker already after one game. Was he worth a high 2nd round pick? Of course not, no kicker is. But Dewayne Robertson was not worth 2 1st rounders either. Doug Jolley was not worth anything. The poor drafting days are done, nothing we can do about it. All kickers have bad games, it happens.

Well we are starting pretty early tossing Nugent under the bus after a week 1 win nonetheless. Bottom line is that he had a very bad game and thats all it was. We need to just move on from here and see how he rebounds. If its a mechanics issue, than it can and will be fixed. However, until it is proven to be a mental issue where he just can't perform, then that will be his demise. I will not start looking for a new kicker already after one game. Was he worth a high 2nd round pick? Of course not, no kicker is. But Dewayne Robertson was not worth 2 1st rounders either. Doug Jolley was not worth anything. The poor drafting days are done, nothing we can do about it. All kickers have bad games, it happens.

Doug Jolley was worth a conditional draft pick.

Now I'm ready to say we wasted a 2nd round pick on a freakin' kicker.

I hate you Nugent. I was suicidal today. I wanted to run out into the street and just get rammed over by a truck.:Cuss:

But, thanks to Chad, the Jets previal, 23-16.:yahoo:

I didn't necessarily hate the pick at the time (ducks from rocks being thrown - OW!)The pick was made in the spirit that we were on the cusp of going far at the time, so take it for what you will. It is what it is.

That being said, as a kicker you have only one job: To make freakin' kicks. Everyone's allowed a miscue, but that was 7 points. Hoy, my head hurts just thinking about it. Still, I don't think he'll turn into some Nancy Pants that can't take the pressure. His misses today didn't have anything to do with pressure. It was just flat out cr*ppiness. He'll have a hard time practicing this week with Mangini's foot up his a**. Still, not the same old Jets. The same old Jets would've found a way to lose this one. We didn't. Then again, I said the same thing when we didn't blow the game against Cleveland in '04, a game we typically would have lost. I'm babbling. Time for bed.

One bad game doesn't warrant cutting him but he better get his sh## together!

This is the NFL and only big boys need apply. I am sure Mangini will have him working overtime this week to get his confidence in line..

this time last year the guy slipped and fell on his butt for his first NFL FG attempt

by the end of the year he was banging 49 yard kicks like they were nothing

maybe he's just not good in openers

1 game is an aberration if he makes it a trend we should talk about it - in the meantime i feel the kid will be just fine

Archived