Yesterday

Tinstar2

The NY Jets won the 1st game of the 2006 season.

Eric Mangini won his 1st game

Chad Pennington played like a champion

Chad Pennington got clobberd and didn't sustain any injuries

Lav Coles had a huge Day receiving

Jerrico Cotchery had a big day in his 1st start as the #2 receiver

The Jet running game is a work in progress

The Jet OL has a ways to go before it becomes a cohesive unit

Mike Nugent had a miserable day

Ben Grahamn (sp) had an outstanding game

The Jet defense played spotty

The secondary needs to improve

The linebackers played fantastic

The special teams was nondiscript.

All these are topics worthy of discussion that could make for great conversation with rational people,instead all you people seem to care about is a HC who's no longer in charge of the team you supposedly root for.

The N Y Jets won the 1st game of the 2006 season,but why does it appear that you people are more excited about what happened in Kansas City.

This was game 1 of a new offense, new defense being run by the youngest head coach in the NFL playing in his first game as the head coach with our starting RB out for 6 games (at least ) and our starting QB comming back after 2 years of injuries & surgeries ,yet minus NUGENT`s breakdown the team played pretty well in game 1 IMHO...& they will only improve more the more they play together!!!

This was game 1 of a new offense, new defense being run by the youngest head coach in the NFL playing in his first game as the head coach with our starting RB out for 6 games (at least ) and our starting QB comming back after 2 years of injuries & surgeries ,yet minus NUGENT`s breakdown the team played pretty well in game 1 IMHO...& they will only improve more the more they play together!!!

Agreed.

The team was dominating the Titans until the NugeVortex sucked the momentum out of them. The win has become overshadowed by his ineptitude.

The Jet OL has a ways to go before it becomes a cohesive unit

This unit will probably take the longest to jell, but there are already big improvements compared to last season. Kapnick did a nice job stepping in for kendall.

Yesterday began the Eric Mangini era as HC of the NY Jets.The Team played Inspired Football,led by starting QB Chad Pennington.Mangini showed poised on the sidelines.During the early part of the game when the Jets were moving the ball,Mangini appeared to be in contact with all his coaches as he could be seen constantly talking into his headset.

When the Jets OL started getting overwhelmed late in the 2nd half,Mangin was seen huddled with his starting linemen getting in their faces .After that meeting,the Jets drove down the field for the tying score.Mangini has to be given credit for his on the spot inspiration but it could also be stated that the return by Justin Miller to almost midfield gave the team the energy it needed and the field position it needed to make that winning march.

Couple things I liked

During the second half,the play calling appeared to be conservative.In fact,it wasn't but was a product of the field position,the poor play of the Jets OL,the inspired Play of the Titans DL and excellent coaching by the OC.

That Huge smile on Mangini's face after the final offensive play by the Titans was something i hope to see more .

I realize Mangini wants to play a 34defense,but with Robertson,Moore,Mosley and Kimo,this team has a solid rotation for a 43 defensive front.

All In all,an excellent start for our new HC.Eric Mangini

Agreed.

The team was dominating the Titans until the NugeVortex sucked the momentum out of them. The win has become overshadowed by his ineptitude.

This unit will probably take the longest to jell, but there are already big improvements compared to last season. Kapnick did a nice job stepping in for kendall.

Agreed JC.I believe the team was executing the offense to perfection and a few mistakes caused stress on the staff and on the fans.Think about this for a moment.The Jets had a 7-0 lead and was driving for a score when Shaun Ryan fumbled,that stopped a scoring drive.Nugent missed 2 FGs,and an extra point.Basicaly,we left somewhere between 10 -14 points on the board before the Titans started making noise.

Had we not make those mistakes,can you imagine the offensive output that Chad pennington would have been responsible for.

Lastly,and here it where it bothers me the most.Had we not make these mistakes,there was a realistic chance we could have seen Kellen Clemens in the 4th quarter of this game.

2 great posts tinstar. you pretty much summed up the day.thanks for that cause i've been so dang busy on all the chiefs boards I really haven't been able to follow the jets much ;)

Sorry but i'm enjoying rubbernecking the crash taking place in arrowhead stadium. I am soooooooo impressed with what Mangini has bought to the table & herm losing just helps reiterate how much better off we are.

Agreed JC.I believe the team was executing the offense to perfection and a few mistakes caused stress on the staff and on the fans.Think about this for a moment.The Jets had a 7-0 lead and was driving for a score when Shaun Ryan fumbled,that stopped a scoring drive.Nugent missed 2 FGs,and an extra point.Basicaly,we left somewhere between 10 -14 points on the board before the Titans started making noise.

Agreed back atcha.

The Ryan fumble cost points, plus he made a costly false start penalty, so he didnt grade out well. Barrett was like red meat for a hungry dawg, and nuge sucked. Blalock ran like a pvssy for three quarters, and Barlow was just a little bit better than that. Jamar missed a couple of blocks, and like we said, the OL is a WIP.

However, overall most of the team made me proud of the effort they gave.

It goes down as a W.

Agree Tin and nice to see you not complaining about our draft.

I loved when Magini called the OL aside as you mentioned prior to our final drive.

I think we need a separate Herm only forum.

There was alot of good showcased in yesterday's win.Enough to keep Jet fans talking up untill the next game.

As far as the draft goes,i still think we made some bad choices,but what's done is done.

This Herm stuff is getting old,and it keeps me from posting sometimes because some joker will do exactly what GreenMachine did.

Maybe Max should look into that idea of a Herman Edwards forum,because it's rediculous for the board to be dominated by a former Jet HC.It's about as bad as having the board dominated by Patsy fans.

Agreed back atcha.

The Ryan fumble cost points, plus he made a costly false start penalty, so he didnt grade out well. Barrett was like red meat for a hungry dawg, and nuge sucked. Blalock ran like a pvssy for three quarters, and Barlow was just a little bit better than that. Jamar missed a couple of blocks, and like we said, the OL is a WIP.

However, overall most of the team made me proud of the effort they gave.

It goes down as a W.

Am I crazy or was Ryan getting more reps at TE than Baker before the fumble.Also,i think Ryan may have baught himself a seat on the inactive list next week .I think after the way Baker played,if Hilton is confortable with the game plan he may surplant Ryan.

Ryan is supposed to be the beter blocker,but yesterday,it didn't appear that any blocking was being accomplished on running plays.

You are 100% right on Blaylock.He needs to hit the hole and stop looking for the big play.

hey tinstar I don't wanna keep bugging ya on this herm stuff but ya gotta admit one thing dontcha? We are suffering jetfans with little to cheer about up til yesterday. Seeing Mangini's brilliant game management coinsided with Herms demise is a just plain wonderful contrast. i was one of the last ones to hop off the Herm bandwagon and I don't wish or care if the chiefs lose. It appears we have a coach who can do his job 7 days a week

Ryan's mistakes are correctable. He came in as the second TE to block on the play he jumped. He'll still do that. He ran a good pattern and made the catch. Though he gets credited with the fumble, the dude's helmet did ram the ball out of his arm. He was carrying the ball correctly, he just got popped.

I am not about burying guys for mistakes made in week one. I do expect a good amount of improvement b/t weeks one and two, though.

hey tinstar I don't wanna keep bugging ya on this herm stuff but ya gotta admit one thing dontcha? We are suffering jetfans with little to cheer about up til yesterday. Seeing Mangini's brilliant game management coinsided with Herms demise is a just plain wonderful contrast. i was one of the last ones to hop off the Herm bandwagon and I don't wish or care if the chiefs lose. It appears we have a coach who can do his job 7 days a week

How about that NY Jet QB.God,I just wish that Kid never got hurt.Remember back when i said he would make Jet fans forget

about the guy whose name is your moniker.

If you ever watched Chad Pennington play,really watched him,you would understand why Randy Moss once said he was the best QB he ever played with.

Chad Pennington's brains and Randy Moss talents made for a lethal combination.Protect that Kid and give him a playmaker like Moss(Coles) and my prediction may yet come true.

One more thing.I still believe Mangini should have never started his tenure with Chad Pennington coming off a 2nd shoulder surgery.If Chad plays against the Pats the way he did against the Titans i will STFU about that thou.

We had 1,100 posts on here yesterday. How many were about Herm? 32. Actually I have no idea how many of the 1,100 were about Herm.

But K.C. was a story. Take a team that was an offensive powerhouse last year and destroy it and people will talk! It happens.

I liked Herm. I defended him. He is a liar. No big deal. I am over it now, lol. It did hurt for awhile though!

We had 1,100 posts on here yesterday. How many were about Herm? 32. Actually I have no idea how many of the 1,100 were about Herm.

But K.C. was a story. Take a team that was an offensive powerhouse last year and destroy it and people will talk! It happens.

I liked Herm. I defended him. He is a liar. No big deal. I am over it now, lol. It did hurt for awhile though!

Meaning no disrespect Max,but i was invited here to talk Jet football.Herman Edwards is no longer a Jet,so basically i have no interest in him anymore.

The problem i have is it doesn't matter what the topic is,some yocal on here brings his hatred/love of that former HC into the topic and ruins it.The way i see it,you have patsy fans ruining threads and some who can't get over themselves ruining other threads.

i'm sorry that I'm not a sheep,and don't follow mindlessly like most,but all i want to do is talk about my Jets.Is that so wrong.

Meaning no disrespect Max,but i was invited here to talk Jet football.Herman Edwards is no longer a Jet,so basically i have no interest in him anymore.

The problem i have is it doesn't matter what the topic is,some yocal on here brings his hatred/love of that former HC into the topic and ruins it.The way i see it,you have patsy fans ruining threads and some who can't get over themselves ruining other threads.

i'm sorry that I'm not a sheep,and don't follow mindlessly like most,but all i want to do is talk about my Jets.Is that so wrong.

Look up at the name of this forum: NY Jets \ NFL Talk

Which means it's mostly about any/all NFL teams, but overwhelmingly about the NY Jets.

And since Herm was a recent HC he's fair game here.

Tin, I think you are overreating to this Herm Edwards business.

There are two things involved here. One is he now the coach of KC.

Should we be concerned? Not really, but there is enough animosity left

over by some fans that you have to cut some slack if some of the guys

bring it up.

On the other hand however, the current Jet team is made up of players

who came from Herm's regime and it is impossible to talk Jet football

without having to mention something that herm did that may or may not

affected the current team.

As an example: AND THIS IS ONLY FOR DEMONSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY

AND NOT TO START AN ARGUMENT......

The running game leaves something to be desired. Sooner or later

someone will criticize herm for letting Jordan go because he kept Martin

as the RB and if Jordan would have stayed maybe we wouldn't have this

problem.

So it will be a very long time before the name Herman Edwards

will disappear from any Jet message boards.

good points Senior-also we use the Herm mirror to make valid our suspicions and affirmations to them.For another example the total disregard of drafting offensive linemen and letting our solid OL go to dust.We see now how his drafting ("you can never have enough cornerbacks") hurt this team and almost ruined 2 not one QB's careers-sadly we see the same thing happening to another great old AFL team in KC and even worse-to their fans

Tin, I think you are overreating to this Herm Edwards business.

There are two things involved here. One is he now the coach of KC.

Should we be concerned? Not really, but there is enough animosity left

over by some fans that you have to cut some slack if some of the guys

bring it up.

On the other hand however, the current Jet team is made up of players

who came from Herm's regime and it is impossible to talk Jet football

without having to mention something that herm did that may or may not

affected the current team.

As an example: AND THIS IS ONLY FOR DEMONSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY

AND NOT TO START AN ARGUMENT......

The running game leaves something to be desired. Sooner or later

someone will criticize herm for letting Jordan go because he kept Martin

as the RB and if Jordan would have stayed maybe we wouldn't have this

problem.

So it will be a very long time before the name Herman Edwards

will disappear from any Jet message boards.

There's nothing wrong with bringing up Edwards in that type of setting.The problem is,i don't care to know what he says after every media session anymore.Furthermore,Herman Edwards didn't let Lamont go,he left to find a starting assignment.This is a player who publicly stated that he wished he could play for coach Edwards forever,but understood the situation with Curtis.If the fans want to blame herm for every Jet player that stinks up a game,that's fine.Reporting how and when he takes a pi$$ doesn't interest me.

There's nothing wrong with bringing up Edwards in that type of setting.The problem is,i don't care to know what he says after every media session anymore.Furthermore,Herman Edwards didn't let Lamont go,he left to find a starting assignment.This is a player who publicly stated that he wished he could play for coach Edwards forever,but understood the situation with Curtis.If the fans want to blame herm for every Jet player that stinks up a game,that's fine.Reporting how and when he takes a pi$$ doesn't interest me.

well you and your sanctimonious mouse don't have to click on threads that discuss herm. you can recognize them by their title (usually involving references to barbeque or dick curl). thanks!

Am I crazy or was Ryan getting more reps at TE than Baker before the fumble.Also,i think Ryan may have baught himself a seat on the inactive list next week .I think after the way Baker played,if Hilton is confortable with the game plan he may surplant Ryan.

Ryan is supposed to be the beter blocker,but yesterday,it didn't appear that any blocking was being accomplished on running plays.

You are 100% right on Blaylock.He needs to hit the hole and stop looking for the big play.

I was surprised to see Ryan active instead of Hilton. Didn't they join the team within a day of each other? I'm not ready to bury Ryan for the mistakes either. I'm more worried about Martin's failures in the blocking schemes than Ryan's.

well you and your sanctimonious mouse don't have to click on threads that discuss herm. you can recognize them by their title (usually involving references to barbeque or dick curl). thanks!

your sanctimonious mouse? :rl:

Look Tinstar, less would be written about Herm here if he wouldn't give us so much to write about. He can't keep quiet for 1 minute. Just like when he was here, only now we don't pity ourselves as Jets fans when we laugh at it.

If he was out of the league (Kotite, Groh, etc) or if he was respected (Parcells), far less would be said of Herm once the season started. The problem is he provides us with material on a daily basis. And it is funny to anyone who was never a fan of his.

Tin, Herm is a fraud. Always was, always will be. For five years, guys like me, argued with guys like you. I've been called every name in the book, including "racist".

I'm not going quietly into the deep, dark night.

Deep down inside, you wish the shoe was on the other foot. If you want to continue to fall on your sword for Herm, that's your perogative. I would take a cue from Bitonti, who saw the error of his ways and repented.

There's nothing wrong with admitting you were wrong. It's easier than continueing the mental gymnastics required to validate your erroneous assumptions that Herman Edwards was a positive experience in Jets history.

Archived