Taser Question for Officer GOB

TomShane

Ahhhh, sorry. If I snuck up behind just some dude in the mall and ripped him with a taser, could he die?

And, while we're on it, can you use dealy force on a guy with a taser?

You can't kill a guy with a taser....he'll wish he was dead, but you can't kill him unless you taser his eyes or head for a long time.

Getting tasered was the worst thing I've ever experienced in my life. It was like getting beat with 20 baseball bats at one time

As for me, If I think that someone with a taser is a threat to my life I can shoot him. I have to feel that their actions with the taser will lead to a life threatening situation. (I.e. tase me and get my gun and kill me) It's defintely a tough call and would look ugly in the press. But if say someone grabbed my taser and was going to hit me with it I'd shoot. I could only assume that his intention was to tase me, get my gun and kill me.

On the subject of tasering, I guess a town here in kansas had an auction on ebay where the winner could taser the chief of police and the money would go towards some anti-drug program. It got up to about $300 and ebay yanked it.

You can't kill a guy with a taser....he'll wish he was dead, but you can't kill him unless you taser his eyes or head for a long time.

Just happened a a couple weeks ago down here:

Man dies after being zapped with taser gun during struggle with police

By The Associated Press

(4/05/05 - FORT WORTH, TX)

The ACLU and other wonderful organizations hate Tasers and have made it their mission to get rid of them through propaganda, falsehoods and negative press. They hate the fact that something the police use, works, and doesn't leave a mark, therefore making it hard for them to make their weekly claims of police brutality.

Most of the recent 'taser related' deaths have been attributed to causes other then the taser, such as severely OD' on narcotics, etc.

I'm here to tell u those things are the best thing to happen to law enforcement in a while.

Getting tasered was the worst thing I've ever experienced in my life. It was like getting beat with 20 baseball bats at one time

As for me, If I think that someone with a taser is a threat to my life I can shoot him. I have to feel that their actions with the taser will lead to a life threatening situation. (I.e. tase me and get my gun and kill me) It's defintely a tough call and would look ugly in the press. But if say someone grabbed my taser and was going to hit me with it I'd shoot. I could only assume that his intention was to tase me, get my gun and kill me.

In reality you cant assume they are going to kill you. They might be trying to take your doughnuts :P

guns they just passes this crazy law in florida which basically says if someone attacks you, even if its just a single punch and you are a licensed gun owner, you dont have to retreat or use equal force, you shoot him dead. what do you think

guns they just passes this crazy law in florida which basically says if someone attacks you, even if its just a single punch and you are a licensed gun owner, you dont have to retreat or use equal force, you shoot him dead. what do you think

If that's the way the law is written it is a recipe for disaster. I do agree with the portion that says the 'victim' does not need to retreat and may stand their ground. While I haven't read the law passed there in FL, if it is written to allow a person to "jump" to deadly force in a confrontation that's ridiculous. Cops sure as hell can't do that, not sure why Joe Citizen would be able to. Myself, I have a 'force continuim' that I follow that allows me to go one step above the level of force being used towards me. While I don't agree that a victim should only be able to counter with equal force (punch for a punch, etc) I can't imagine allowing citizens to jump to deadly force for a situation that hasn't even reached the beginning stages of deadly force assault.

If I'm Joe Gun Owner in FL, I tread lightly. Some poor sould is gonna be the first one to try it out and the law, along with his ass, will be tried by 12 of his peers.

At school this year I saw a tazer in action, its scary stuff. A cop thats generally known to be a prick came on to to the scene to break up a fight. The kids had already stopped wrestling or whatever, both walking away from eachother and the cop just shoots the kid from behind with this thing. You just see some sort of blue light hit the kid. It was unbelievable. Down in an instant. I thought the kid was going to die. Another reason why Im wary about some cops. Not you Guns, though. Your efforts in a tough city like Detroit are commendable to say the least.

At school this year I saw a tazer in action, its scary stuff. A cop thats generally known to be a prick came on to to the scene to break up a fight. The kids had already stopped wrestling or whatever, both walking away from eachother and the cop just shoots the kid from behind with this thing. You just see some sort of blue light hit the kid. It was unbelievable. Down in an instant. I thought the kid was going to die. Another reason why Im wary about some cops. Not you Guns, though. Your efforts in a tough city like Detroit are commendable to say the least.

You guys have to remember that just like any job in America, policework represents a cross section of society and as such, you're going to have your 'bad apples' etc, who make the rest of the members in that field look bad. No line of work is perfect and police work isn't any different, we're just a little more 'publicized' I guess. There are people I work with who I think are oxygen thieves, I wouldn't trust them to back me up at a parking complaint and the fact that they draw a check, a very good one, is a crime. But I bet if you looked at your various careers you could probably say the same thing about your coworkers. No offense taken bro. It's just the fact.

As for taser use, it's all up to the department's policy. We go by a 'force continuim', a series of escalating steps of use of force that we can use based upon the level of force being forced against us. For my place, Tasers are suprisingly low on the force continuim because they are a nonlethal and nonimpacting use of force. (I've been shot with one, once you're done, you're done, there's no lingering effects, no injuries.) Tasers fall lower on the continuim because if I'm forced to escalate to empty hand strikes or impact weapons, the potential for injury to the bad guy is greater. So yes, in effect, tasering someone is actually safer for the bad guy then me using hand/leg strikes or using my baton.

That is some hysterical sh*t! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Archived